Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I for one would like to try iOS in a larger size phone, so long as there is a default size like the current 5s.

lipsum

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Of course we would love a larger screen size, but as always we gratefully accept whatever you decide we should have and will gladly pay too much for it.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
If you want the newest designed A8 iPhone this fall, you will get the larger screen. Apple should carry something from the 5S/5C line at least until 2015.

If true, that would represent a sharp break from Steve Jobs ideas and preferences. I like the 5C and 5S, I have one of each now.. but my favorite was the iPhone 4S.

I think this would be a colossal blunder move if true.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I'd rather like a tiny iPhone mini. With just iCal, Contacts, Mail, Music Player, Messages and phone capabilities.

Since I sit in front of a computer the whole day long I don't see why I need apps.
And when I'm abroad, I can't use any app like google maps because roaming prices are ridiculous. So I still ask people on the street for directions while having a fancy iphone in my pocket doing nothing.

An unlocked phone and a local SIM card solves your traveling abroad problems. At least it did for me. Staying connected while doing relief work via iMessage or viber apps for just the cost of local data is awesome. My last 6 month tour in the Philippines only cost me $25 dollars a month for unlimited data... No roaming..

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
This is the highest level of demand for an unannounced Apple model in a ChangeWave survey – stronger than we’ve seen in previous years for the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 models prior to their announcements,” said Andy Golub of 451 Research. “Speculation over a larger screen iPhone is clearly striking a chord with consumers."

I'm not sure how this necessarily equates with screen size and not just with general trend of Apple iPhone being popular. Most of my friends use iPhones, but a few have tried the GS3 and 4. Their battery life was so bad they literally hated their phone. One has switched back to iPhone, the other is on the fence.

I've got a 5 and I will almost certainly buy a new phone this year and it will be whatever the latest and greatest phone is. Though I will say, since I replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 and I turned off Facebook location and auto-refresh, my iPhone is back to have great battery life. I thought I'd be on last legs by September, but I don't think that will be the case now.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
It's the only reason I switched to Android.
There are some things about Android I wish iOS would incorporate *cough Notifications *cough, but other than that, stick a larger screen on the iPhone and I'm back.

D.

I've seen this mentioned multiple times but need to ask... Why does everyone think the android notifications are better? I've had android phones (have a back up one right now) but don't really see a night/day difference between the two

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
why do people just assume a larger display means a larger phone? go pick up a moto x or nexus 5. not much difference in over all size with a much larger display

Your two examples are taller, wider and thicker than the iPhone 5/s. How does that assist the argument that people are assuming a larger display means larger phone?

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Slightly presumptuous to tell people in the survey that it may feature a larger display even though they don't really have any solid evidence to prove this. I would love Apple to surprise everyone - 'We found that the 4inch display was actually too big, we're going back to the 4S!' :rolleyes:

I agree. I would buy a small iPhone. I hope we still get iPhone nano with 3,5 inch screen!

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
I just cant believe it has taken Apple so long to figure this out! The iPhone 6 is what the 5 should have been. At least I will now be able to get a decent size for my phone after the past 3 years.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
This is an honest question with no sarcastic undertones whatsoever, but can someone tell me exactly why one-handed use is a desired feature?

I have a Nexus 5 with a 5" screen and honestly don't ever find myself saying: Damn, I wish I could use this with one hand instead of two.

Again, honest question.

D.

I use my iPhone all the time with one hand. I hold it and do stuff. Typically the only time I may use two hands is for playing a game or typing, otherwise I find that I can maneuver and function with the one hand, and I find that to be a key necessity. That said, I am looking forward to a 4.7" iPhone 6 like the Galaxy series phones, and I understand that the larger screen will probably mean doing things a little differently, though I expect there will be a lot that can still be done one handed.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
This is an honest question with no sarcastic undertones whatsoever, but can someone tell me exactly why one-handed use is a desired feature?

I have a Nexus 5 with a 5" screen and honestly don't ever find myself saying: Damn, I wish I could use this with one hand instead of two.

Again, honest question.

D.
It comes down to convenience. A 2 handed phone is almost always less convenient to use; 1 handed use trumps any benefit from added screen size. In the times where I can just as easily make 2 hands free, when convenience isn't a real factor, screen size isn't a factor either. Because if I have both hands available, it means I can use a tablet or full computer. Its convenience is the only reason I even use the phone. Take that away, and you've ruined the device. You leave me with two tablets, a big and little one, neither convenient when I can't spare a second hand, and the bigger one the obvious choice when I can.

Some examples of when convenience is paramount:

As a parent of babies and now toddlers, it's quite rare that I ever have 2 free hands. But 1 hand, that I can manage. There are a lot of times when your kid doesn't need your attention but does occupy one of your hands. A phone that requires 2 hands to use would never, and I literally mean it, never be helpful to me. I wouldn't be able to answer calls. I wouldn't be able to check and reply to a quick message form the wife. I wouldn't be able to catch up on news while pinning/holding a kid for a nap.

And then once the kids are asleep, it's couch time with the wife. Usually that means wine/beer/snacks in one hand, and other hand clean and free for messages, showing pics from the day, checking baby monitors (we use iOS app for that), etc. Those things too would be a pain if I needed to use that second hand, the one wet from beer or salty from munchies.

Sometimes I'm just carrying things, like groceries or luggage. When my wife texts, I am always going to check and respond to that. Never know what it could be or if she needs something from me asap. 1 handed use makes it easy to handle that situation without much impact on the carrying or whatever I'm doing. Sure, in this case I could probably manage to put the stuff down or use my legs to prevent the cart from rolling away and free up that other hand, but why? With a 1 hand phone, I don't have to. Bigger screen doesn't do anything for me in that scenario.

Often I'm cleaning or making meals, things that generally make a hand messy or occupied. If I need to check who's calling or do a quick message or a recipe or whatever, that's a lot easier with one hand than two. Freeing up one hand is easier than cleaning and freeing up two.

Often I use my phone lying down for bed, letting my brain unwind. It's a lot more comfortable to lay their using something 1 handed. Using 2 hands requires a more dedicated position; 2 hands means that using the phone becomes the main focus rather than the secondary activity. It means more overall movement and light in the room, neither of which is conducive to winding down and going to sleep.

My Conclusion:
Large phones only make sense for people who don't also have a tablet or computer, and who just sit around a lot without tons of crap to do constantly: i.e. kidless adults or kids themselves.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple should bring back the flip phone. What I mean by that is make a large iPhone that folds in half that is about as thick as an iPhone 4S when closed. But when it opens up, it's just one large, seamless display because the screen flexes in the middle. Probably a few years away from building that tech in a way that is engineered well—with strength, durability, and aesthetically pleasing design—but we'll get there.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Unsurprising

40% of respondents indicated they are 'very likely' or 'somewhat likely' to buy an iPhone 6 that is described as having a "larger screen size" and a "faster processor" along with an "updated iOS operating system" at a starting price of $199 with a two year contract.
That's a pretty loaded survey question. It's like asking people with single-scoop ice cream cones if they would prefer a three-scoop sundae with chocolate syrup, whipped cream and a cherry on top.

roglio

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
The reason that apple is loosing shares in italy is the cost, not the size.
When the iphone 4s was released it costed 600 euros (roughly 800 dollars).
When the iphone 5 was sold the price raised to 729 euros (1010 dollars!!!!!).
The same price was applied to the iphone 5s: I simply can't afford it!
Then I bought an used like new iphone 5 at 400 euros (550 dollars)
All prices are intended vat included.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Do we think the bigger phones will have a different resolution(s)?

Redefine "retina" or give developers a headache?

It's not so tidy to provide @2.5 assets but @4 assets would add up to quite a lot of wasted data.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
And in other studies: "research firm has discovered that Apple customers are looking forward to the release of new products in the future. As many as 99.9%"

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I've seen this mentioned multiple times but need to ask... Why does everyone think the android notifications are better? I've had android phones (have a back up one right now) but don't really see a night/day difference between the two

For myself, there are three things I think are superior.

First, you can perform quite a few actions to the notifications themselves, all whilst staying within the notification pane. Nothing fancy, but it makes things quicker.

Secondly, Android utilizes the tiny part at the top of the screen (where the battery life, signal strength, etc. is) and places little icons notifying you of new email, texts, Twitter, Facebook, etc. iOS does this with badges but if you have certain apps on secondary screens, you don't know unless go to that page or swipe down to see the notifications. With Android, it's just a quick glance to the header. Not sure why Apple can't utilize the same empty space to do that as well.

Third, which is probably a hardware thing (Nexus 5) more than an Android thing is a little LED that blinks when you have a notification of some sort. Mine is asleep beside me right now, but blinking so I know there's something there without even having to check it. The LED changes colours depending on the notification. I blinking TouchID ring would be swiggity on an iPhone. ;)

Again, these are just my opinions. Others may feel these aren't superior to iOS notifications and that's fine too.

D.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
My Conclusion:
Large phones only make sense for people who don't also have a tablet or computer, and who just sit around a lot without tons of crap to do constantly: i.e. kidless adults or kids themselves.

That, and the large phones match their oversized caps (however, in combination, making their heads look even smaller).

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
[/COLOR]

You didn't get it. Apple sold many, many small ones. And now people have a real reason to buy new one. Call it good marketing.

I don’t think you get it and Apple is starting to get it. Apple has been ignoring a very large segment of customers for years that wanted large screen phones and is the reason why Samsung grew in power. Even HTC and Motorola have suffered from not keeping up with Samsung. HTC’s first “big phone” was not released until late last year and Motorola does not even have one. It was not bounce effects or slide to unlock. It was big screens, sd cards, removable batteries, cheap prices and Android that got Samsung where it’s at today. Not the crap Apple is suing for. And most important Android has surpassed iOS years ago and not only does Apple have to catch up with screen size they have to catch up with Android.
My issue with Samsung is support after the sale when it comes to OS updates or the time it takes the carrier to approve the update. Apple does a good job in keeping product updated without carrier intervention. Their support during the warranty period is excellent especially if you’re around an Apple store. But carries hate the fact that they can’t add bloat to an iPhone and I see things changing if Apple gains additional market share from a large iPhone.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
It comes down to convenience. A 2 handed phone is almost always less convenient to use; 1 handed use trumps any benefit from added screen size. In the times where I can just as easily make 2 hands free, when convenience isn't a real factor, screen size isn't a factor either. Because if I have both hands available, it means I can use a tablet or full computer. Its convenience is the only reason I even use the phone. Take that away, and you've ruined the device. You leave me with two tablets, a big and little one, neither convenient when I can't spare a second hand, and the bigger one the obvious choice when I can.

[excellent examples]

My Conclusion:

Thanks for the detailed response. I can relate to a lot of those situations as a father of twin girls about to turn 2. I suppose I should have expanded a little on my original question. I can still use my Nexus 5 with one hand most of the time, and only really require 2 hands when I need hit something in the upper left corner or to type longer messages. The digital Back button in the bottom right corner makes navigation easier as well.

I for one like the larger screen for GPS as well, so I'll probably be picking up the 5.5" if it does in fact exist. ;)

D.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
My opinion is that if they release a 4.7" iPhone 6 it will significantly outsell every other iPhone.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009

As a parent of babies and now toddlers, it's quite rare that I ever have 2 free hands. But 1 hand, that I can manage. There are a lot of times when your kid doesn't need your attention but does occupy one of your hands. A phone that requires 2 hands to use would never, and I literally mean it, never be helpful to me. I wouldn't be able to answer calls. I wouldn't be able to check and reply to a quick message form the wife. I wouldn't be able to catch up on news while pinning/holding a kid for a nap.

And then once the kids are asleep, it's couch time with the wife. Usually that means wine/beer/snacks in one hand, and other hand clean and free for messages, showing pics from the day, checking baby monitors (we use iOS app for that), etc. Those things too would be a pain if I needed to use that second hand, the one wet from beer or salty from munchies.

Sometimes I'm just carrying things, like groceries or luggage. When my wife texts, I am always going to check and respond to that. Never know what it could be or if she needs something from me asap. 1 handed use makes it easy to handle that situation without much impact on the carrying or whatever I'm doing. Sure, in this case I could probably manage to put the stuff down or use my legs to prevent the cart from rolling away and free up that other hand, but why? With a 1 hand phone, I don't have to. Bigger screen doesn't do anything for me in that scenario.

Often I'm cleaning or making meals, things that generally make a hand messy or occupied. If I need to check who's calling or do a quick message or a recipe or whatever, that's a lot easier with one hand than two. Freeing up one hand is easier than cleaning and freeing up two.

Often I use my phone lying down for bed, letting my brain unwind. It's a lot more comfortable to lay their using something 1 handed. Using 2 hands requires a more dedicated position; 2 hands means that using the phone becomes the main focus rather than the secondary activity. It means more overall movement and light in the room, neither of which is conducive to winding down and going to sleep.

My Conclusion:

Why can't you do all that with say the moto x or a nexus phone using one hand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.