Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I feel like i'm in the twilight zone. So Apple copied watch manufacturers...now watch manufacturers copy apple?

I will say watch manufacturers did a better job copying Apple than Apple did copying watch manufactures.

Reactions: rbrian

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Wow. For probably the first time, Apple has made ugly cool.

Do you remember this?

hqdefault.jpg

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
so the apple watch is to cheap for you and has too many functions that just serve to confound your senile brain? this is the watch for you. want to buy some bridges to go along with it? also, it lasts for generations - maybe in a few years, people will think this was the original design.

nice strap, though.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Given that H. Moser & Cie. is pricing the white gold Swiss Alp Watch at $24,900 with only 50 pieces available, it's unlikely Apple will take offense over the copycat design.

I can think of 1,245,000 reasons why Apple will take offense to this. Ignoring this blatant rip off will look weak to the competition and the public. An example needs to be made of this Swiss manufacturer.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
If somebody wants to look like they have an Apple Watch then why.... WHY would they spend that much money on a knockoff???

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009

@ 26:30 he's wearing a watch that looks idenical to Apples watch design but it's in the 1980's. Lets tone down the blatant calls of "ripoff"
It's a square watch with a glass face. It does not look "identical" to Apples watch design and it's far too blurry to even get a close look. These are HD close ups and the only difference in the outer design of this and the Apple watch are the watch face and the crown.

Reactions: iPhysicist

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Wasn't it a Swiss company that sued apple over design of one of the faces?
That was for "borrowing" the style of the Swiss Railway's clock face. Nothing to do with the Apple Watch.

....but there is nothing cooler than seeing the internals of a fine watch at work
Yup. Absolutely love exposed movement. Gotta a couple myself.

You have no taste. Apple Watch has a great, unisex design that fits perfectly today's clothes shapes.
Taste is subjective. Unisex doesn't appeal to everyone, neither in watches nor fashion. I'm definitely not a fan.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm all for Swiss watch companies ignoring the smartwatch fad, and standing by their commitment to make mechanical watches at a premium price. But UNIQUE watches.

So why on Earth make a physical clone of the most well-known smartwatch out there??? Who would be dumb enough to pay THAT much for something that will constantly be mistaken for a watch that's considerably cheaper and assumes tons of functionality that's not actually there??

This is seriously one of the dumbest ideas I've seen....

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I wonder if they'll manage to sell all 50 that they make.

Costs more than Apple's high end watch.
Doesn't do as much as the Apple Watch.
Not as well known a brand as Apple.
Copies Apple Watch style.

It's like a typical knockoff except they want to charge more for it than one would have to pay for the real deal.

The style is the dumbest aspect of them all. It doesn't need to contain a UI, and it has that silly circle within a square.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
[@ 26:30 he's wearing a watch that looks identical to Apples watch design but it's in the 1980's. Lets tone down the blatant calls of "ripoff"

Yup, rectangular rounded cases and trench lugs have been around a long time; way before even Apple Computer existed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.