Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I've just found out that what I want to do is impossible, so I think I'm going to compromise and just have Applescript launch a Terminal window and run the script. Does a similar job and gives you instant indication of what's currently happening.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I've just come across an article on Tune Ranger, which sounds great. If you read the article though, it doesn't seem like it's stable enough to shell out $30 for. I'll probably keep an eye on this to see if it gets any better.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I've just come across an article on Tune Ranger, which sounds great. If you read the article though, it doesn't seem like it's stable enough to shell out $30 for. I'll probably keep an eye on this to see if it gets any better.

I read that article a couple of days ago - this is one of the pieces of software I looked at before searching for my own solution. To be honest I don't think I'd be willing to pay for this functionality when I can do it myself for free.. and feel like a proud geek!

EDIT: Looks like TUAW have reviewed Syncopation.

tommymcguck

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
This seems similar to what I think i need.

I have an itunes library on an external hard drive which has all my video content and another library on my macbook internal drive with all my music. I want to be able to have all my music and video on the external library for when I update my ipod, so I can have some video, but have all my music on my ipod. and of course i want both libraries synced (but only with the same music, not the video)

I assume to do this, i will have my internal library sync to my external library. yes?

If i do this, will all my video content still stay on the external library or will it erase the external library and make an exact copy of my internal library?

thanks

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
This seems similar to what I think i need.

I have an itunes library on an external hard drive which has all my video content and another library on my macbook internal drive with all my music. I want to be able to have all my music and video on the external library for when I update my ipod, so I can have some video, but have all my music on my ipod. and of course i want both libraries synced (but only with the same music, not the video)

I assume to do this, i will have my internal library sync to my external library. yes?

If i do this, will all my video content still stay on the external library or will it erase the external library and make an exact copy of my internal library?

thanks

Here's what I do on my MBP:

One iTunes library located on my MBP internal hard drive. All of my music resides on my internal HD. I put all of my videos in a folder on my external HD.

Whenever I want to add videos, I do this:
1. Go to iTunes > Preferences, Advanced, then disable the option to copy files to the iTunes Music Library when adding to iTunes.
2. Drag my videos to iTunes from my external drive.
3. Re-enable the option I disabled in Step 1.

This way your videos stay on your external drive, but also appear in your iTunes library. If your external drive is not present when you open iTunes, the videos will still show up in your library, you just won't be able to play them until you hook up to the external again.

Hope it helps!

tommymcguck

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
sounds pretty simple...

would it be hard to make an automator script to go through the videos on the external and find new ones, then do the process of disabling the copy files, import it and enable the copy files again?

because sometimes it is a while between plug ins to my external and i am likely to forget what new videos i have.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
sounds pretty simple...

would it be hard to make an automator script to go through the videos on the external and find new ones, then do the process of disabling the copy files, import it and enable the copy files again?

because sometimes it is a while between plug ins to my external and i am likely to forget what new videos i have.

Not sure if an automator workflow can do that, I only know the basics. You could keep your new videos in a separate folder until you add them to iTunes, as a workaround.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I read that article a couple of days ago - this is one of the pieces of software I looked at before searching for my own solution. To be honest I don't think I'd be willing to pay for this functionality when I can do it myself for free.. and feel like a proud geek!

EDIT: Looks like TUAW have reviewed Syncopation.

Any idiot can sync the files figuratively speaking with a number of tools, but it's a little more difficult to sync the attributes in the library.

I find Tuneranger pretty unusable. Syncopation does seem to work better - but my reasons for syncing is mainly to interface with better software for Windows while maintaining Playcount information between Windows - Mac iTunes.

It would be good if scripting the iTunes library re-pointing using a copied XML file wasn't so timeconsuming - or even just getting iTunes to reimport the newly synced tracks. I might take a crack at Windows scripting once again and try and do it in the ither direction.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
sounds pretty simple...

Unfortunately Automator isn't as useful as this. Hence why I've started learning ActionScript/UNIX commands. I don't even think you could write a script to disable copy files, and re-enable it, because the option is buried within the preferences. Wait.. that's given me an idea.

OK so your iTunes preferences are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist . So when you disable copy files and close iTunes it'll save over this file. So duplicate it somewhere, then re-enable copy files, and again close iTunes. Now duplicate that and you now have a version of the file for disabling, and a version for enabling.

So you could then use automator to copy your plist to the preferences folder, then use the Import Files into iTunes action to add your new video files. As for checking for new files, as far as I know this can't be done. Because you can't compare two folders - you are comparing one folder (your movies) with the iTunes Library file. Which would take some advanced scripting I think. The simplest solution would be to import your files as soon as you create them :) You can create a workflow that'll do everything for you, but then pop up a window asking you to select which files to import, then finish up by re enabling your import preference.

Hope that makes sense - it does to me, but I am an über geek :D

strengin

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB, Canada
Here's what I do on my MBP:

One iTunes library located on my MBP internal hard drive. All of my music resides on my internal HD. I put all of my videos in a folder on my external HD.

Whenever I want to add videos, I do this:
1. Go to iTunes > Preferences, Advanced, then disable the option to copy files to the iTunes Music Library when adding to iTunes.
2. Drag my videos to iTunes from my external drive.
3. Re-enable the option I disabled in Step 1.

This way your videos stay on your external drive, but also appear in your iTunes library. If your external drive is not present when you open iTunes, the videos will still show up in your library, you just won't be able to play them until you hook up to the external again.

Hope it helps!

If you hold down the option key while dragging files into iTunes, it won't copy them to the iTunes library.. that'll save you from having to go into the preferences each time you want to add a video. I'm gonna assume that it also works on a windows PC using the alt key or something similar.

On a side note.. thanks, this thread was very helpful!
Does anyone know if this method would work properly with iPhoto libraries?

Moocher

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
NE Atlanta area
Bump.

I'm researching software to help me manage iTunes files across several computers. I want to be able to be selective: some files/playlists/categories I don't need or want on one computer, i.e., I need to be selective in what I sync.

I'm looking at TuneRanger, SuperSync, and myTuneSync but I haven't communicated with anyone who's used either.

Anyone out there have any experience with these?

Mooch

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have been using chronosync. Not free but I didn't know about this in the beginning. I also use it for other items now but this is a great idea.

Now if I could just find a way to have iTunes automatically scan folders at a pre-designated time to look for new content so that I don't have to add them manually all the time. This would be great if someone has something like this!

jamontoast1291

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I followed the instructions, but can't seem to get this to work. I run the saved application and it connects, and appears to be working, but my library isn't updated. This is my first mac and rsync and automator feel a little bit over my head, but I think I have it almost figured out.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
What is wrong with Syncopation? My God, that app is one of my favorite. I also was looking for a solution to keeping two computers in sync and tried several apps but none did what I wanted. Syncopation is a fantastic app and it works with multiple options. You can keep both computers synced up or you can choose to keep one computer as a copy of the other - which is what I do with my MBP and Mini. I do all of my iTunes purchases for music and podcasts, run Syncopation on my Mini and all the new additions gets copied over. If I want to bring movies over from my Mini I just enable syncing the other way for movies or tv shows - and can pick which ones I want - and they go right in the MBP library.

carboncow

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
What is wrong with Syncopation? My God, that app is one of my favorite. I also was looking for a solution to keeping two computers in sync and tried several apps but none did what I wanted. Syncopation is a fantastic app and it works with multiple options. You can keep both computers synced up or you can choose to keep one computer as a copy of the other - which is what I do with my MBP and Mini. I do all of my iTunes purchases for music and podcasts, run Syncopation on my Mini and all the new additions gets copied over. If I want to bring movies over from my Mini I just enable syncing the other way for movies or tv shows - and can pick which ones I want - and they go right in the MBP library.

1. I have data this is not properly sync'd on two machines, let alone three.
2. It doesn't (nor do any) sync all my hard work of album art.

I've tried the big three and they all have considerable consistency issues syncing.

Moocher

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
NE Atlanta area
I tried myTuneSync recently and can't recommend it. Results with playlists were inconsistent, one copy won't remember that it's registered, sometimes it doesn't work, and recently it quit working altogether. TuneRanger is next.

Mooch

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i am fairly keen on doing this i guess, but i have different libraries on different computers. i remotely connect to the library on another computer (using itunes) if i want to listen to the songs on it.. works easy for me.

HTDL

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Solution

It seems in iTunes 8 and probably earlier versions too, that if you simply use the 'Add to library' under the File menu, browse to your other Mac and find your iTunes library, iTunes scans the contents before importing so that you don't end up with duplicates, just copying the ones it needs.
Sorry if I've missed the point, but this seems to answer most queries here. :)

cdika17

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
It seems in iTunes 8 and probably earlier versions too, that if you simply use the 'Add to library' under the File menu, browse to your other Mac and find your iTunes library, iTunes scans the contents before importing so that you don't end up with duplicates, just copying the ones it needs.
Sorry if I've missed the point, but this seems to answer most queries here. :)

Will this work for a pc and a mac?

Galax

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Hopefully this is the right forum. I currently have a large iTunes Library (60 GB). I don't really want all of this on my laptop. So, I have used rsync to duplicate the library onto an external drive. I would like to maintain an itunes accessible library on the external and maintain a slimmed down library (say, 20 GB) on my computer. Does anyone know if it's possible to create an automator app that will allow me to update the external library with new purchases made on my laptop and visualize those when the external library is opened via itunes. Thanks.

Farkum

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I can't thank you two enough. It about time to give up on syncing my iTunes with my media center when I found this thread. Shame on apple for not implementing something so simple and yet so useful.

Farkum

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Just to let everyone know. I changed rsync to sync everything but my itunes folder from my laptop to my home computers external drive. Then I set another rsync command that syncs everything in the itunes folder to the /users/home/music folder on my home computer. After that I went and made an alias in the Users directory that redirected /users/cort/music to /volumes/external/music. Doing this worked great, rsync transfers the library.xml file and itunes on my home computer is able to play all my music right off my external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.