Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I hope Sprint follows T-Mobile, if not, I wonder if my Sprint 4S would be compatible with T-Mobile's network.

Oh, and in my experience, T-Mobile was superior to AT&T in NYC, but that was in 2010/2011, idk about now.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
At the right price I might switch. Once they can support the iPhone fully that is

+1

I have been buying my iPhones unlocked since Apple has made them available due to my international travel. This doesn't save me anything with AT&T. If the service is good and there is a better deal on the monthly rate, then I am all for it.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
This is a prime example of what's wrong with companies today. Any companies. "If you can't beat your competition on quality, publicly say that what they are doing is ****". Lame tactic.

Ziich

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
to each his own

One word: spectrum

EDIT: Also, everything in AT&Ts ad has held true for me. Here in Western PA, T-Mobile's network is terrrrible. Extremely slow. AT&Ts HSPA+ and LTE coverage in Pittsburgh is really good. While AT&T's LTE network doesn't have the large footprint like Verizon, where it is available its really fast. Consistent 40-50mbps down on LTE and 10mbps on HSPA+ and I'm within the city limits of Pittsburgh.

its the complete opposite for me. att hspa+ hits like 6-7 if i am lucky and 10-15 on lte while tmobile gets 15-25 on dchspa. i have never had a dropped call on tmobile on my iphone 4 on edge or my sgs3 where as i am surprised if i get through a day without one on att.
personally what made me move away from att is the fact that their prices kept increasing for fewer features. shared data was the last straw for me

MikeAndersonWA

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
50% Slower data speeds???

So, I'm using an unlocked iPhone 4S on T-Mobile, and I compared with a friend with an iPhone 4S on AT&T. We both had full bars of 3G, and ran a speed test from the same location. My speed was about 2.5x faster than his was, so I'm not sure how they get off saying that T-Mobile is 50% slower.

Also, I've never dropped a call on T-Mo for no reason. And the only time I've failed a call is when I'm in a place with sketchy coverage. So yeah... I've actually had a much better time on T-Mo than I ever did on AT&T.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
All valid points. It's tough to find people who love TMobile or Sprint, everyone on those networks is just pinching pennies.

Uhhh, I LOVED T-Mobile when I was on them from 1999-2008, but switched to AT&T when the 3G iPhone came out. After 18 months of AT&T, I was so sick of the absolutely garbage network and dropped calls (in downtown Boston - c'mon) I was willing to pay the early termination fee and switch to Verizon and Android (T-mo was still pretty behind in the phone department back then).

I've been pretty happy with Verizon, but I would consider going back to T-Mobile in a heartbeat. The customer service was awesome! They cut my bill in half one time because while I was in Europe, my blackberry was making data requests that I wasn't aware of, ringing up huge roaming charges. T-Mo was like "well, that sucks, but how about we just cut that week from the bill?"

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
You sound like my customer that claimed AT&FEE were faster, we did a few speed tests with Verizon vs AT&FEE and in all 3 AT&T lost.

Verizon definitely takes it, I have seen speeds up to 50gb!

Dude, Verizons network won't do ANYWHERE near 50Mb. Their technology doesn't support it. Maybe FIOS, but no their LTE network.

Remember when you test, make sure you are not on your Wi-Fi. LOL

And, but the way, what fees does AT&T have that Verizon doesn't. Everytime I have looked its the same or within $5 either way. You work for the eVil empire?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Dude, Verizons network won't do ANYWHERE near 50Mb. Their technology doesn't support it. Maybe FIOS, but no their LTE network.

Remember when you test, make sure you are not on your Wi-Fi. LOL

And, but the way, what fees does AT&T have that Verizon doesn't. Everytime I have looked its the same or within $5 either way. You work for the eVil empire?

Yeah it does go that fast. I've seen it in person and I've seen screen shots posted online. Maybe not where you live but in Atlanta in certain spots it does. It isn't average but it happens

Also I see a lot of customers that switch to us and save money over them.

igorleandro

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
When me and my wife moved to the US, AT&T would only let us have a phone with them if we would let them have a $750 deposit PER CUSTOMER. There was a company discount with AT&T and we thought it would be ok.

Turns out AT&T only applies that discount to the base voice costs, which are less than 30% of the bill. <-- we got fooled once

It has been a year, and we are yet to see any of the $1500 dollars of deposit back. <-- we got fooled twice

Our monthly bill is approximately $140, for 700 minutes, 2gb + 200mb plan, one phone without text, and the other with unlimited text. With T-Mobile, we would pay about $30 less for both phones with everything unlimited. <-- we got fooled thrice

Make that those extra $30 x 24 and you have $720, which if summed with the $200 we payed for each phone, is $1120. Hey, I could have bought my iPhone UNLOCKED AND CHEAPER at Apple, and used it with ANY SIM CARD in my travels from DAY 1! <-- we got fooled yet again.

So, yeah AT&T, enjoy all your crap while you can. You had me for the first and absolutely last time.

Oh, and I won't even mention all the times I had to go back to the store in which we bought the phones because they had set up the plans with more minutes and data that we had asked... 3 times...

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
So AT&T was like “Yo, what’s good baby? I got all this bread & I’m willing to spend it on you if you be my b*tch.” Even though he’s slow & very shallow, T-Mobile was like, “Ok boo, let’s plan this wedding. But since you ballin’ & everything you gotta get me a crib, a new whip & a puppy.” T-Mobile knew these gifts couldn’t be taken back if things didn’t go well. So T-Mobile & AT&T planned their wedding, even though they knew their parents may not approve because AT&T is Jewish & T-Mobile’s Atheist.

Time goes by, they're about to get married, but their parents are like, “Get the hell outta here you’re not marrying a (Jew/Atheist),” they’re forced to break up. AT&T is upset they didn’t get their girl. T-Mobile is like “ooohhh, sorry boo. Thanks for the whip though.”

T-Mobile quickly meets another guy, Metro PCS, he’s an atheist too! He doesn’t have much money but he’s got personality & is goal oriented. T-Mobile falls in love. They decide they want to get married & oddly Metro PCS agrees to change his name to hers (you know she got an ego); but T-Mobile’s willing to let Metro PCS wear the pants in the relationship.

AT&T, jealous as all hell, starts talking crap about T-Mobile. “Ohhhh, whatever yo, that chick is slow. Forget her. Look at me I’m ballin’, she know she miss this!” Clearly upset because he realized T-Mobile was playing him from the start.

That was brilliant! :)

----------

Funny AT&T would put out an ad like this, as they should know plenty about dropped calls and slow data speeds from their end. ;)

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
No. It is not. Their HSPA+ is 7.2 Mbps. AT&T's is 14.4 Mbps. Their LTE is about the same. Neither has LTE coverage worth a damn.

----------

It's something that used to frustrate people many years ago and today is virtually a non-issue. The biggest issue today is data coverage and speed. LTE is fast no matter who is selling it, so all that matters is can you get it where you spend your time.

----------

The answer is, T-Mobile does a brilliant job via advertising of lauding people into thinking that, despite being the only major US carrier with 0 iPhones for sale, they are a significant player with lots of coverage and high speed.

In reality, compared to AT&T, they are none of that.

I have no love for either. But the facts are what they are... And the facts are: AT&T is
Better beyond comparison. The obvious exception is the idiot outside of AT&Ts known coverage who signs up for AT&T and then blogs about how bad it is for the rest of his life. You'll see these people from time to time.

Passionate argument without facts to substantiate! I live right in the smack ATT coverage, and I got less than 1Mbps on 3G, between 5-10Mbps on LTE on a good day. In comparison, Tmobile now gives me 5-10Mbps on 3G. Coverage is a relative thing. Only VZW has the best LTE coverage in my area, 17Mbps everywhere. ATT has been know to be the worst lying thief for all my friends who are stuck on contracts. Prepaid may be the model

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Well this is a pretty dirty move from at&t...especially when you factor in that at&t wanted to buy Tmobile...lol

Well my 2 cents is that at&t is pretty scared of Tmobile...

I have both at&t and Tmo, my iphone 5 is on at&t and my nexus 4 is on Tmo.
First off I'd take Tmo over at&t any day of the week, and here's why...

I bought my nexus 4 from the Google play store for $349, and picked up a Tmo sim from they're store and went on a no contract pay as I go plan for only $70 per month, that includes unlimited calls, text, and data...Yup unlimited data for only $70, and I have to say that for the most part it's really really fast out here in NYC.

As for my iphone 5, it's costing me over $100 per month, for unlimited text, 1400 min for calls, and 5GB of data per month...Not nearly as good a deal as Tmo, not to mention I have no contract with Tmo.

When Tmo launches they're LTE network at&t better be ready to loose a lot of customers.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I'm neither with AT&T (never have been), nor T-Mobile, but the ad seems to be a response to claims made by T-Mobile. If so, no reason to pour the hate over AT&T. If you must hate something, let it be the pesky T-Mobile commercials, consisting of a chick riding a bike/helicopter/tank/horse : )

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
If they're doing this (att) you know they're scared. I switched to tmobile on my factory unlocked iphone 5 last month after testing my area on another iphone months prior. No contract $70/month umlimted everything with no damn caps or throttling. Plowed through at least 10gb in a month to test out. No issues. Most of valley/southern California lit up for me. Had AT&T compared thier "4g" and lte speeds in same area and tmobile blows away. I get 10 down at least, 3-5 up. Very happy. As soon as official carrier software is released later this month on tmobile will have visual voicemail. Everything else is the same. Hate AT&T. Had Verizon initially on 5. Lte smoking fast and good but will plow through 4gbs in days if you don't watch out, that's lame not to mention CDMA call waiting issues no talk and surf on and on, no thanks. Never want to think about data usage again

Last edited:

Shade12

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
USA,OHIO
Att sucks. I have 5 iPhones with data blocked on all of them. Saves me money. Ask me how I can save you money. Without jailbreak.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I'm confused, why would AT&T take out an ad to point out that AT&T's network is not as good as T-Mobile's?

Yes, I know they are trying to poke fun at T-mobile; however, my wife has T-Mobile and I have AT&T through work, it is very common for her to be able to make and receive calls when I can't. It is also very common when down in San Diego that AT&T's phone will roam onto Mexican cell towers, incurring international roaming fees.

Now, since we are both in the same place when these things happen, I would say that T-Mobile has the better network. Oh, and her internet is far faster, but I am unsure if that's the network or the fact that her phone is an Android and mine is an iPhone.

AT&T has a right to be scared of T-Mobile, especially since they now own MetroPCS, they have lower cost plans, with no contracts and because they use GSM, you can easily bring your own unlocked device. All of this with a better network than AT&T. Add in that T-mobile doesn't put restrictions on the use of their data pans, such as no Facetime over cellular data or no tethering. Yes, I know their official rule is no tethering on unlimited plans, but if you ask them nicely, they will provide with instructions on how to use tethering on their unlimited plans and won't say anything to you about doing so.

Now, factor in Straight Talk and other discount cell providers and the big three's monopoly is seriously threatened for the first time in quite a while. I truly hope this brings them down a few pegs.

Last edited:

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
So AT&T was like “Yo, what’s good baby? I got all this bread & I’m willing to spend it on you if you be my b*tch.” Even though he’s slow & very shallow, T-Mobile was like, “Ok boo, let’s plan this wedding. But since you ballin’ & everything you gotta get me a crib, a new whip & a puppy.” T-Mobile knew these gifts couldn’t be taken back if things didn’t go well. So T-Mobile & AT&T planned their wedding, even though they knew their parents may not approve because AT&T is Jewish & T-Mobile’s Atheist.

Time goes by, they're about to get married, but their parents are like, “Get the hell outta here you’re not marrying a (Jew/Atheist),” they’re forced to break up. AT&T is upset they didn’t get their girl. T-Mobile is like “ooohhh, sorry boo. Thanks for the whip though.”

T-Mobile quickly meets another guy, Metro PCS, he’s an atheist too! He doesn’t have much money but he’s got personality & is goal oriented. T-Mobile falls in love. They decide they want to get married & oddly Metro PCS agrees to change his name to hers (you know she got an ego); but T-Mobile’s willing to let Metro PCS wear the pants in the relationship.

AT&T, jealous as all hell, starts talking crap about T-Mobile. “Ohhhh, whatever yo, that chick is slow. Forget her. Look at me I’m ballin’, she know she miss this!” Clearly upset because he realized T-Mobile was playing him from the start.

What did I just read?

wiseoracle

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
AT&T throwing stones?

Everyone's experience with the big carriers will vary based upon their location however, personal experience has lead me to conclude that AT&T has the worse network for dropped calls in Atlanta. I have iPhones on Verizon, tmobile, and AT&T and AT&T's service is by far the worse for dropped calls. I find this to be particularly amusing since AT&T Mobility headquarters are located here in Atlanta. You consistently get dropped calls down on the meadow in Piedmont Park, near the mall at Lenox, on the connector near Midtown, and in many in town neighborhoods located in East Atlanta. While it is true that carriers in other cities might have similar issues, AT&T is in no position to throw stones for crappy service. Consumer Reports roasted the company for the 3rd year in a row for bad service and call quality in every major market - even Dallas! Why can't this company get its act straight and simply improve its operations without resorting to gimmicks and crude ad campaigns.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City

Remember when you test, make sure you are not on your Wi-Fi.
It doesn't?
Verizon LTE NYC:

8gHeCl.png

f8W9ll.png

F1Vcrl.png

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Everyone's experience with the big carriers will vary based upon their location however, personal experience has lead me to conclude that AT&T has the worse network for dropped calls in Atlanta. I have iPhones on Verizon, tmobile, and AT&T and AT&T's service is by far the worse for dropped calls. I find this to be particularly amusing since AT&T Mobility headquarters are located here in Atlanta. You consistently get dropped calls down on the meadow in Piedmont Park, near the mall at Lenox, on the connector near Midtown, and in many in town neighborhoods located in East Atlanta. While it is true that carriers in other cities might have similar issues, AT&T is in no position to throw stones for crappy service. Consumer Reports roasted the company for the 3rd year in a row for bad service and call quality in every major market - even Dallas! Why can't this company get its act straight and simply improve its operations without resorting to gimmicks and crude ad campaigns.

It's nowhere near as bad as T-Mobile is here in Atlanta!

T-Mobile is great when you can actually get a signal.

AT&T ain't all that, but it's better than T-Mobile in Atlanta

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.