Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
While we are at it, you shouldn't use your card as a debit card for gas purchases either. If you clear, I think it's $75 or $100 they will place a large hold on your account, sometimes upwards of $250.

On a related note I just signed up and the $700 hold is CLEARLY explained in the terms in multiple places.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
OP acts shocked when it was clearly stated in every article. Plus he acknowledged it when signing up.

Despacio

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Do you think Tmobile will have iPhone 6 at launch? My friend is pushing me to switch from my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan. Here in Tucson his download speeds are three times what I'm getting. Plus he gets free music streaming and 5GB of hotspot tethering data. :(

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Do you think Tmobile will have iPhone 6 at launch? My friend is pushing me to switch from my grandfathered unlimited ATT plan. Here in Tucson his download speeds are three times what I'm getting. Plus he gets free music streaming and 5GB of hotspot tethering data. :(
why won't they? the question is can you get one before it sells out.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Just check out Tmobile test drive than right now. Use it in your most frequent places.

T-mobile's biggest weakness is generally inside buildings. So move the phone to where you will be 80-90% of the day. Check out the network. You have nothing to lose with the test drive.

If the 7 day trial works for you. Return the phone and wait for iphone 6 to come out. Apple will have a unlocked model iphone 6 for launch.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have a $25,000 credit limit and a current balance of $30.39 from a few recent charges, a $700 hold would not affect me. Make it a $7,000 hold for all I care.

If you're living so close to your credit limit that a $700 hold would be a problem, you can't afford a $700 phone.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I have a $25,000 credit limit and a current balance of $30.39 from a few recent charges, a $700 hold would not affect me. Make it a $7,000 hold for all I care.

If you're living so close to your credit limit that a $700 hold would be a problem, you can't afford a $700 phone.

No one cares what your credit limit is. ;)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I'm sorry, but this simply is not universally true. I've seen hotel, rental car, and other business holds take up to 10 days. AGAIN, I didn't say it was an issue - just an FYI for people who want to participate.

Never ever ever use a debit card for either one of those; that's why God created credit cards.

With a debit card they effectively block the money for 10 days like you said, with a credit card though; it doesn't matter; it will stay on your card as 'pending' not effectively taking anything (though lowering your available credit).

Even if you end up paying and settling for a hotel room using a debit card, always present the credit card when you check in.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Do you (or anyone else) know how it worked on launch day last year? If I go to the Apple store can I buy one and finance with T-Mobile?

You pay full price at apple retail store or website up front.

Finance at tmobile retail store.

Think Apple doesn't or hasn't setup being a 3rd party financing center for the carriers yet. So it's easier for them to sell full price instead of linking with carriers 20-24 month financing system.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
You pay full price at apple retail store or website up front.

Finance at tmobile retail store.

Think Apple doesn't or hasn't setup being a 3rd party financing center for the carriers yet. So it's easier for them to sell full price instead of linking with carriers 20-24 month financing system.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Ill probably just pay full price so I can get it from the Apple store...carrier stock was pretty low last year.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Not having the money available either via credit or debit is essentially the same effect - less access to your money

Let's correct this statement a little bit: For a credit card, you are not being denied access to your money, but rather your bank's money. A credit card is not "your money." Many people make this incorrect assumption, and that's how a lot of them end up deep in debt.

If it's a debit card, then yes, access to your money is withheld. However, for 7 days, you are holding a $700 piece of equipment that is not owned by you, but rather is T-Mobile's property. If you break it, lose it, or choose not to return it, then T-Mobile is out the cost of that iPhone, which they must then recover from you. Putting a $700 authorization hold ensures that they can in fact, recover their costs if they don't get back their property.

(And actually, T-Mobile will work with you if the phone gets broken: you only have to pay $100, which is even cheaper than if you broke your own iPhone and had to pay Apple to fix it).

If can't temporarily deal with $700 in your bank account being tied up while you borrow a $700 phone, then you should put up a credit card instead. If you still can't deal with that credit tie-up, or don't have a credit card to secure that loan, then maybe you shouldn't be borrowing a $700 phone.

Banks and credit granting businesses make interest on your money - the longer they hold it, the more interest they make. Thank you U.S. Congress for this consumer unfriendly policy.

Banks do not incur interest on authorization holds. As for actual purchases and money kept in an account: yes, that's how money is created and how banks stay in business. It's been that way for centuries now. While some banks are guilty of being abusive in their practices, railing against banks for charging any interest for legitimate loans is a bit absurd.

Last edited:

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Let's correct this statement a little bit: For a credit card, you are not being denied access to your money, but rather your bank's money. A credit card is not "your money." Many people make this incorrect assumption, and that's how a lot of them end up deep in debt.

If it's a debit card, then yes, access to your money is withheld. However, for 7 days, you are holding a $700 piece of equipment that is not owned by you, but rather is T-Mobile's property. If you break it, lose it, or choose not to return it, then T-Mobile is out the cost of that iPhone, which they must then recover from you. Putting a $700 authorization hold ensures that they can in fact, recover their costs if they don't get back their property.

(And actually, T-Mobile will work with you if the phone gets broken: you only have to pay $100, which is even cheaper than if you broke your own iPhone and had to pay Apple to fix it).

If can't temporarily deal with $700 in your bank account being tied up while you borrow a $700 phone, then you should put up a credit card instead. If you still can't deal with that credit tie-up, or don't have a credit card to secure that loan, then maybe you shouldn't be borrowing a $700 phone.

Banks do not incur interest on authorization holds. As for actual purchases and money kept in an account: yes, that's how money is created and how banks stay in business. It's been that way for centuries now. While some banks are guilty of being abusive in their practices, railing against banks for charging any interest for legitimate loans is a bit absurd.

Just wanted to say that this post is full of win.

That is all.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Why are you crying?The hold on my accounts not even there anymore.They put the hold see that it won't decline then it goes away.BooHoo

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Why would they not put a hold on your account for the value of the phone when the phone isn't even yours. I'm not understanding why you're so mad. T-Mobile has to do something if you break the phone, lose it, or "steal" it. They're not going to let people test drive phones and then after that period is over not do anything about it when you decide not to return it. Does that even make any sense to you?

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Lol. Hardly anyone is having the same reaction as the OP. Personally I don't see a problem with what TMO is doing here.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm more surprised at the price. It is $50 more (plus tax) than at the Apple store. So if you decide to buy it, do they stay at $700? Do they sell it or do payment plans totaling $700 + tax? Or do they sell it at the actual price of $649.99?

The test drive 5s, it's a 16GB right?

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
HOLDS only take 1 day to release. Doesn't mean the bank took it's time to release them or the company. I work for a financial institution and this is from experience.

----------

Excatly. Holds can be released instantly.

Of course they "can" be, but they are often not.

I'm an internet retailer and I have to deal with this all the time. I go through this at least once a week with customers who use debit cards, and I can tell you from 15 years of experience that these holds often take 10 days or more to be released. I have to waste my time explaining to people that there is nothing I can do to release the funds back to them quicker and they need to call their bank.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm more surprised at the price. It is $50 more (plus tax) than at the Apple store. So if you decide to buy it, do they stay at $700? Do they sell it or do payment plans totaling $700 + tax? Or do they sell it at the actual price of $649.99?

You can't buy the phone you test drive. Presumably you would return the "test drive" phone to a T-Mobile store and buy a brand new phone there (not sure what they charge in-store).

If there is in fact a $50 "premium" for not returning the phone I would assume that's the MSRP and some of it is to recoup costs associated with running the program, covering shipping of the phone, to discourage people from not returning the phone, etc. My guess is they don't want to deal with the hassle of people keeping "test drive" phones. Probably no different than the jacked up prices (again, MSRP) Blockbuster would charge for not returning rentals.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
You can't buy the phone you test drive. Presumably you would return the "test drive" phone to a T-Mobile store and buy a brand new phone there (not sure what they charge in-store).

If there is in fact a $50 "premium" for not returning the phone I would assume that's the MSRP and some of it is to recoup costs associated with running the program, covering shipping of the phone, to discourage people from not returning the phone, etc. My guess is they don't want to deal with the hassle of people keeping "test drive" phones. Probably no different than the jacked up prices (again, MSRP) Blockbuster would charge for not returning rentals.

Woah, really? That's crazy. So if people test drive it, like it, set up all their stuff, they'll need to erase it and get another one? I can forsee that being a bit troublesome. So what happens to the test drive devices? I'm thinking they'll get sent out on another test drive?

Ah. So basically like rental cars in use that can't be bought. I wonder if they'll eventually sell them off or let Asurion use them as insurance replacements.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Woah, really? That's crazy. So if people test drive it, like it, set up all their stuff, they'll need to erase it and get another one? I can forsee that being a bit troublesome. So what happens to the test drive devices? I'm thinking they'll get sent out on another test drive?

Ah. So basically like rental cars in use that can't be bought. I wonder if they'll eventually sell them off or let Asurion use them as insurance replacements.

Yeah, it's on an FAQ on their site....

-Can I buy the phone I’ve been using when the trial is complete?

Sorry, you cannot purchase the Test Drive phone once your trial has ended. While you may want to keep the Test Drive phone and add ongoing T-Mobile service to it, those phones are specifically assigned to the trial. Instead you can close out your Test Drive by returning the trial phone and can shop among the great selection of T-Mobile’s 4G LTE phones for permanent use.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial?icid=WMM_TM_RVR_STKIIK1HFV364

I would say it's for the best. You wouldn't want people paying full price for a phone that's been used many times before.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009

Hope you do a full iTunes backup before you take back the phone to buy a new one. Though, granted probably most new iPhone users wont know to do a backup. Maybe they will transfer everything for you.

But I do think the test drive phone is like a rental car, just used and abused! :D

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011

I received my test drive iPhone 5s today and it was a gold 64gb...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.