Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaz

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
I got a black 64gig. I won't be switching to them. Sitting on my couch it goes from lte to 4g to e and back again. Driving to work it's 4g the entire way and then eventually switches to lte when I get into Dallas. At&t is lte everywhere. Rarely switches to 4g.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
All you have to do is call your bank and request that they bump up your credit limit by $700 and they'll most likely do it.

However, if a $700 hold is a problem on a credit card you're most certainly not living within your means.

I exclusively use credit cards for the cash back and extra layer of fraud protection (so nothing is actually taken out of my account); however, I treat them like debit cards and don't carry a balance. There's a reason why credit card companies label people like me "deadbeats." :D

Reactions: bigdaddy223

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
I used to have T-Mobile but couldn't get reception in my own house which was terrible for emergencies. It's amazing such a big company and everyone seems to have the same problem. I just did the trial to test a new iPhone.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
So I got a 32GB space gray 5s with a New York City area code. Seemed mint condition to me, or a really good refurb.

Signal-wise, the T-Mo phone has better call quality at my house than my carrier Verizon. It also has faster data at home and at work.

Verizon LTE at my work is near useless. It feels worse than dialup. Outside, I get .8 to 2mbps down. T-Mo gets me 6 to 35mbps down. Verizon data is also very unsteady and can have a bad ping. I got a ping of 118 today. Some days the data is just completely unusable. This is a few blocks north of downtown Seattle.

In my house, I get about 2mbps down on Verizon--and it's also an unsteady signal. T-Mo gets me 4 to 12mbps down with a smoother signal.

The phone itself--I love Touch ID, it's magic. The action of the home button on the 5s isn't bad--it's much better than the demo units I've played with at the Apple store. Those were way too "clicky" and cheap feeling. The action of my iPhone 5 home button is still better, but I can't complain about the 5s they sent. The power button on the 5s does rattle--my 5 does not rattle.

For some odd reason, the 5s feels heavier than the 5, even though they are supposed to be the same 112g. I guess it's just in my head. Do Verizon and T-Mo iPhones have different internals?

So... yeah now I'm 100% sure I'm going to switch to T-Mo when the 6 comes out. Thank you T-Mo.

One more thing, I did receive a bunch of pictures on the phone from god knows who via MMS. They were from a NY area code. No hot chicks, but I did get a photo of creepy dolls. Thank you, universe.

Reactions: scaredpoet

Alexx414

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
HOLDS only take 1 day to release. Doesn't mean the bank took it's time to release them or the company. I work for a financial institution and this is from experience.

----------

Excatly. Holds can be released instantly.

I'm sorry I registered just to reply to this, THIS IS COMPLETELY UNTRUE holds can take 2 weeks to release, I've had this happen with sprint, went online, ordered a s5, paid 100, then got a phone call from sprint telling me a 100 dollar deposit was required, I decided to canc service at that point and I told them to release the hold, they said they did but it was still pending on my debit card, called my bank and they told me they couldn't release it and to call sprint, this back and forth went on for days, each on blaming the other until I got pissed off and gave up, it took almost 11 days to drop and sprint and my bank kept giving me the run around, this is one of a million horror stories with bank holds, it's a scam that needs to be addressed on a congressional level.if they can charge you instantly then they can return the funds instantly but in reality they have every excuse why that's "not possible" so no bank holds are not released in 1 day, it can take 1,2 and even 3 weeks to drop off but of course a company can take funds immediately ... It's a SCAM
Google it.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I feel like if a person can't spare the loss of access to $700 of credit for a week (or even two, if the hold really does take that long to release, which is doubtful), he/she shouldn't be considering purchasing such an expensive device...

And yep, the hold is absolutely (and obviously) necessary to prevent people from just keeping the phone.

Well said, I concur.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm not saying it's a problem. I have an iPhone 5S on ATT and just don't want to tie up $700 for a mostly unspecified period - because, as you know, debits/charges happen instantly, but credit back to cards can sometimes take 10 or more days.

But if you read, you KNEW they were going to put a hold on your funds.

I can't blame them for wanting to cover themselves.

----------

I'm sorry I registered just to reply to this, THIS IS COMPLETELY UNTRUE holds can take 2 weeks to release, I've had this happen with sprint, went online, ordered a s5, paid 100, then got a phone call from sprint telling me a 100 dollar deposit was required, I decided to canc service at that point and I told them to release the hold, they said they did but it was still pending on my debit card, called my bank and they told me they couldn't release it and to call sprint, this back and forth went on for days, each on blaming the other until I got pissed off and gave up, it took almost 11 days to drop and sprint and my bank kept giving me the run around, this is one of a million horror stories with bank holds, it's a scam that needs to be addressed on a congressional level.if they can charge you instantly then they can return the funds instantly but in reality they have every excuse why that's "not possible" so no bank holds are not released in 1 day, it can take 1,2 and even 3 weeks to drop off but of course a company can take funds immediately ... It's a SCAM
Google it.

A SCAM? LOL!

The banks are just protecting themselves. I have never had to wait over two to three days for a credit so maybe your banks is letting the credit float a bit longer.

Reactions: rjohnstone

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Google it.

That's funny because I have seen them release in one day. Again I WORK FOR A LARGE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION and know the system since I maintain it. Again, you can blame SPRINT for being slow. They have to wait for the vendor "Sprint" to do the refund. The bank can do it instantly as it is electronic now.

Reactions: rjohnstone

ratanshah

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Pa
If you were T Mobile would you like to safe guard your asset?
iPhone is not cheap. As long as you were not charged it should not matter.
I have test drive on the way to me.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I actually think this is an excellent idea to test drive a device without the penalties of running credit, paying a restocking fee, or paying for a few days of prorated service. I hope other carriers give the option to try this.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I don't understand t-mo test drive at all.
1. My true story: they sent me a kit with wrong/not activates sim in it. i called any number and got to their CS. I talked CS, the only option was to return the kit to the store. I twitted to their CEO, no solution was offered at all. I tried to order another kit, but I couldn't. Imaging the situation you want to try a car, they give you a car with a wrong key. You try to ask for another one or correct set pf keys, but they tell you that you tried it already and that's enough.
2. Imaging the situation, you come to a dealership to buy 6 cylinders car you never tried, they give you 4 cylinders and told you that 6 going to me more powerful. Same story with lte 12. No iphones support it. 700 mHz has better penetration. Can we try all network or just part of it and hope that when iphone6s comes out it has lte12 and quality will be better?
3. I have unlocked iphone6, whats the reason to mail me 5s when they can just have an option to mail a sim card.

Even after all of this I consider t-mo as a potential to switch on. Att put a lot of pessure on subsidy on the phones now. They cancel subsidy, i switch.

They also put 700 dollars hold on my card, it took 2 days to remove it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.