Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
Can't believe the prices for you US guys...

I am paying £10 a month for unlimited data in the UK, unlimited texts and 250 minutes.

Sad thing for us though, is no 4G and 3G only in the major cities.

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
They're doing everything short of offering bill credits to customers who bring their own iphone and sign up for a two year contract. (which I think they should do IMO).

i believe when you switch over to a 'compatible' plan, you do have to sign up for a 2 yr contract.

I would be mildly interested when/ if they bring 4G/LTE to my area and announce costs.

ditto.

Why not take the release of the iPhone as an opportunity to announce that you'll be carrying the iPhone instead? It will be a hard sell to convince people to purchase an unlocked iPhone for $649 upfront, and there aren't many iPhone 4S models that are out of contract.

Actually, when I called to setup my cancel for the 2nd time (last year was to get the iphone 4s w/ Sprint), the Tmo rep told me that "are" getting the iphone but didn't know when. I also suspected it would be an earlier model rather than the new iphone 5s coming out.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
i believe when you switch over to a 'compatible' plan, you do have to sign up for a 2 yr contract.

Yes, and I'm saying they should offer bill credits over the life of the contract, kind of like a subsidy installment plan. They could even start by requiring an apple store receipt to show they paid the full unsubsidized price on a new plan if they were concerned about a flood of new iPhone customers with iPhones that had already had their subsidy paid by another provider.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I know everyone's experience is different, but I had so many dropped calls with T-Mobile that I left for AT&T and had no problems since. I'm not sure I'd want to give them another chance.

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Unlocked iPhones

I paid $28.00 to some website to have my iPhone 4s to be unlocked. Within 24 hours they told me to back up my phone, put a T-Mobile sim in and sure enough it was unlocked and I sold it to someone. I also have a 3Gs as a backup, I called AT&T and asked them to unlock it and they did. Btw I wonder how these websites are able to unlock any iPhone on AT&T anyways? They must be paying off AT&T or something, I have no clue.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
That is tempting - I wonder if Apple will allow you to buy the phone for full price online during the launch or if you have to do it in store only to avoid extending your contract.

/For those that don't know - you could pay full price for the AT&T version from Apple stores and it was unlocked. This was before they introduced the "factory unlocked" 4S a few months later

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hey getting HSPDA+ speeds that are faster than AT&T for like half the cost of AT&T is a great deal IMO.

I'm not really sold on LTE, nor am I for paying twice as much for crappy service.

I may strongly consider this once there's more feedback and reviews.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's pretty obvious....

cars move faster on roads with less traffic....

A while back I switched from t-mobile to AT&T...as far as service/connection goes, I've never looked back.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
I paid $28.00 to some website to have my iPhone 4s to be unlocked. Within 24 hours they told me to back up my phone, put a T-Mobile sim in and sure enough it was unlocked and I sold it to someone. I also have a 3Gs as a backup, I called AT&T and asked them to unlock it and they did. Btw I wonder how these websites are able to unlock any iPhone on AT&T anyways? They must be paying off AT&T or something, I have no clue.

They did exactly what you did with your 3GS. Those sites (and countless craigslist posts) are nothing more than scams.

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
Here's one way to send a message to the other carriers: Apple buys 10% stake into T-mobile as a start. Let's see how quickly the other carriers revise their data plan pricing after that. :eek:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

A lot are run by and or paying AT&T reps to submit iPhone unlocks.

Exactly. LTE-A is set for distrib. in 2013 I believe. Then it'll be another 5-7 years before 5G.

And I believe T-Mobile's LTE network being launched in 2013 will be LTE-A.

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
4s

I didn't think that since I was still under contract they would be able to unlock the phone? So you're saying that when I buy the iPhone 5 I just have to do is call AT&T and they will unlock it for me?

They did exactly what you did with your 3GS. Those sites (and countless craigslist posts) are nothing more than scams.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
If you buy an iphone for full price will it come unlocked? I currently have an ATT contract but only for about 6 more months. How possible will it be for me to use att for the last 6 months of my contract and then go somewhere else with my phone?

You can call AT&T to unlock your phone once your contract is finished. It is your right, you paid for it.

shulerg

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
T-Mobile was the first cell service I ever used...and it was the only one I never had problems with, so I hope they succeed with grabbing some market share from this. ATT and Verizon's only skill is making things unbearable for their customers.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
And I believe T-Mobile's LTE network being launched in 2013 will be LTE-A.

Yup.

----------

Respect to T-Mobile as they're doing everything possible to align with AT&T's frequencies, and stay competitive. They've had such a limited amount of spectrum to work with, but they've deployed ALL of their licences (unlike AT&T that's squatting on tons of spectrum), and their HSPA+ outperforms AT&T's here in NYC by order of magnitude! Also, next year their LTE will align with AT&T's band 4 AWS, so the iPhone will be LTE compatible with T-Mobile out of the box.

And btw, T-Mobile HSPA+ on PCS is actually on in parts of NYC:

Can't wait for it to get here in LA

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
There's a good chance I'm heading back to T-Mobile with my iPhone 5.

Never had T-Mobile, but from what I heard they are a great company. I am going to break my Sprint 4s contract (and pay the termination fee) and get the 5 unlocked and use prepaid T-Mobile or Straighttalk, or between the two of them, let them earn my business every month, and if I don't like them I'll leave and take my number with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.