Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Getting to local content is the same number of clicks as remote content (well, if you are streaming from a single source).

The new menu design abstracts the content one level and adds all the store menus as well.

As far as loading, it should be faster to load individual sections than loading the entire remote library.

Kevin

Did you by any chance notice if Apple added a Chapter Marker Selection Menu?

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Hmm. Looks like I might be selling my :apple:TV and building another XBMC.

imlucid, how's that unRAID working for you? I saw them when I was figuring out a RAID server, but they were beyond my price range.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
Getting to local content is the same number of clicks as remote content (well, if you are streaming from a single source).

The new menu design abstracts the content one level and adds all the store menus as well.

As far as loading, it should be faster to load individual sections than loading the entire remote library.

Kevin

it may be the same number of clicks if using appletv take 2. But compared to version1 I would now have to for example, navigate to TV Shows, select or push right ( not sure on method ), push down 2 or 3 times to select "My movies " ( or whatever itunes library content is now called ).

In version one I would select tv shows and thats it.

For someone who has a lot of content preloaded in their own itunes library the new appletv take2 is a backward step.

I am completely happy with the way things were with version1, and I feel the updates are not there to enhance the user experience of appletv users but basically to sell more content.

I can understand apple wants to make money by selling content, but changing the whole interface to force the itunes store down our throat, is a bit much for me.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
it may be the same number of clicks if using appletv take 2. But compared to version1 I would now have to for example, navigate to TV Shows, select or push right ( not sure on method ), push down 2 or 3 times to select "My movies " ( or whatever itunes library content is now called ).

In version one I would select tv shows and thats it.

For someone who has a lot of content preloaded in their own itunes library the new appletv take2 is a backward step.

I am completely happy with the way things were with version1, and I feel the updates are not there to enhance the user experience of appletv users but basically to sell more content.

I can understand apple wants to make money by selling content, but changing the whole interface to force the itunes store down our throat, is a bit much for me.

I agree. Apple should have just added another option to the main menu called, "iTunes Store." It was definitely a decision based on selling content.

Anyone know if they have any new screen savers like the ones in Leopard?

EvilRob

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008

They do seem to have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

When I first saw the brilliant way the AppleTV handled sources, I had a feeling it was too subtle and some well-intentioned fool would eventually break it. I didn't expect that to happen quite this soon, however.

For the record, I have no objection to the store content being moved front and centre, and I probably would have used it to rent movies, but burying an existing library behind a lot of stupid remote aerobics ruins it, for me. The search for a workable set top box for normal people continues.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
The ATV remembers your previous menu selection. So if you only go to Movies -> My Movies, then you'll only have the one extra selection. You won't have to scroll down the list.

Kevin

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
The ATV remembers your previous menu selection. So if you only go to Movies -> My Movies, then you'll only have the one extra selection. You won't have to scroll down the list.

Kevin

its still an extra selection / click. While this is not much to most when you have under twelves using the appletv this can cause an additional level of confusion which is not necessary.

My own dislike of Take 2 is not the extra picks that are involved, but that the complete functionality of the device is being changed from an itunes library extender to an itunes store purchasing device.

I'm happy to admit that I may be in the minority with being completely happy with Take 1, but if I upgrade to Take 2 ( with is highly unlikely ), I would prefer the itunes store not being forced upon me.

Why is there no option to turn external content off, simple to implement but costly to Apple; I've bought the device, so stop trying to suck the life blood out of me with purchasable media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.