Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Except you lose your rewards points because your bank isn't involved, it uses a virtual MasterCard credit card.

----------

Our cards and terminals do too, and ours has no limit unlike the Canadian ones that are limited to $25.

I just paid a $244 car repair bill with payPass, nothing new. (this was before Apple Pay)
Limited to 25 dollars? Maybe with a student card but typical cards have a 50 dollar limit for tap paying and "black" cards have a limit of 100. I am not sure you should be bragging about a possible security flaw in the American implementation if you have no limit on payPass. The limits are not a technical limitation but rather for consumer fraud protection.

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
Hmm...is it safe to say that this is where Google Wallet shines vs Apple Pay. Google Wallet will work just about with any card right off the bat, where as Apple Pay requires the participating bank to support it.
Nope. This is simply a requirement of how ApplePay shines. The whole "one time use number" requires bank support. This really is a feature.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
This is exactly it!
All these banks coming on board but very few retailers that I frequent do anyway, so what is the point!? I know it's going to take time but it can't come soon enough IMHO. And I am getting a bit worried that it is not getting accepted by more retailer faster.

It's not so much rolling int the retailers to be "on board" most NFC retailers do accept Apple Pay; it's more of a marketing ploy of whether or not they advertise it. Most companies aren't budgeting that kind of thing, while on the flip side some companies (with CurrentC = doomed to fail) are marketing against and preventing it.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Hmm...is it safe to say that this is where Google Wallet shines vs Apple Pay. Google Wallet will work just about with any card right off the bat, where as Apple Pay requires the participating bank to support it.

The two systems are not equivalent in security. Would you want your full card information stored on a Google server?

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
The two systems are not equivalent in security. Would you want your full card information stored on a Google server?

I know that, and I never said that Google Wallet has the same security measures as Apple Pay. I'm talking about some conveniences that Google Wallet has over Apple Pay. The concept of convenience vs security is an important one that should be addressed on a holistic level. Still, you can't argue that Google Wallet in general "just works" (lol) with any credit or debit card (i'm sure there are rare exceptions), while Apple Pay requires the issuing bank to actively support it.

In regards to storing cc number on Google's server... Well, i have direct deposits at my work, automatic payments on Tmobile and Verizon, a monthly subscription at Audible...you get the point. Sometimes you just can't avoid it all..you gotta pick your fights.

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Question for Canadians

I am a heavy user of Apple Pay in the States. I love it and I love the security especially. I almost exclusively shop at retailers who support Apple Pay and I hunt down retailers who do. But for many US citizens the security is not a big deal for them because they are covered by the fraud protection. Of course, that is indirectly passed on through higher rates and higher merchant fees. But the cost is not direct. So they swipe away.

In October of 2015 the liability shift in the US is supposed to happen where the liability shift is supposed to transfer from the bank/card issuers to the merchants. This will necessitate adoption of new POS terminals and better coverage of NFC. Although most small businesses that I patronize and I talk to know nothing of this.

The lack of pain points for credit cards also applies to Chip and Pin. Who wants to memorize a PIN if you can just swipe. Esp

In the land of Chip and Pin and NFC, is the consumer more directly at fault for fraud or is it the merchant or is it a combination? The merchant fees are less for credit card processing but who pays for fraud.

And who do the credit card companies make the consumer part of the fraud equation. Thanks for any edification.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Except you lose your rewards points because your bank isn't involved, it uses a virtual MasterCard credit card.

That's only at the merchant side. The virtual card still ultimately charges a real card, for which we get reward points for the amount.

Some card banks do not get the merchant name, though, which means we might miss out on any extra merchant specific rewards.

OTOH, sometimes that can help, as it can avoid carve-outs where certain merchants do not get awards. E.g. Citibank does not usually give awards for purchases at Walmart / Target, but with Google Wallet being the proxy merchant, they would not know to hold the award back.

There's no magic involved. Our real card info is stored in a token vault somewhere in both cases, whether it's run by Google or the CC bank.

Since neither the banks nor Google have been hacked, it's not a worry to me. Heck, they're probably both using a third party token service... maybe even the same one... such as First Data.

If I was to worry about something, it'd be that Mint and Paypal have far more important account info stored away!

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It is all well and good that more banks are signing on, but what about retailers?
All my credit and debit cards are enabled, but none of the retailers that I frequent accept Apple Pay. I tried it out a couple of times at McDonalds and Walgreens, but these are stores I go to 2 or 3 times a year. Until my local grocery store, gas station and home improvement store start accepting it, it is pretty much useless to me.

I am also (still) wondering when we are going to see any smaller banks signing on.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Ok but this article says no. Apparently there's no incentive for the banks to get onboard.
http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/2015-predictions-apple-pay-will-stay-out-of-canada/52535

The incentive should merely be that it's easier for me to make purchases.

I have a wallet and a phone right now. When I'm out with just my phone, I can't make purchases. I do this all the time, like when I'm going cycling. I make a mental note not to buy anything, and for the whole time I'm riding until I get home, I don't bother walking in anywhere, even if halfway through my ride I decide I want something. ApplePay would definitely make it easier for me to change my mind part way through. That's money that I'm spending on my credit card, so that's money for the bank.

The other incentive is first-mover advantage. If TD is first on the market, there are people that will switch to TD to take advantage of it. When you've got basically no banking competition, differentiating yourself is hard. Quite a lot of people stick with the bank that their parents' used. Getting people to switch is tough.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Sweet just got a TD credit card.

Oh nevermind, this is TD in US. :( (not TD in Canada)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
TD is notoriously behind in technology. Their banking app in Canada is by far the worst piece of crap of any bank. They're also trying to push their own mobile payment system. I doubt that they'll be at the forefront of ApplePay.

Given previous experience, I'd expect CIBC to get there first. However, I joked with the manager of my bank who I have a good relationship that I'd be leaving him if Scotiabank isn't the first to come out with ApplePay. He joked back that "in that case, you'll be banking with us for a long while". I don't know if he meant that Scotiabank would be getting ApplePay first or if the service wouldn't be coming to Canada in a long time, period.

:confused:

Yank in UK

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Australia
Apple Pay Works Well in Australia - But Not at Apple Store

Australia probably has a higher density of NFC "pay wave" terminals already installed than U S - used with chip and pin credit cards here.

These work perfectly at stores and even vending machines everywhere. I LOVE IT. Of course you have to have a US credit card and set "region" in Settings to United States.

Sad that since Apple Stores here do not have NFC technology, you cannot use APPLE PAY at an APPLE STORE.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I am also (still) wondering when we are going to see any smaller banks signing on.

I bank at a small midwestern bank and they have notified us that they will be supporting ApplePay soon. I only use my bank card to get cash out of an atm so I'm not that excited but it's cool they are getting on board.

sbbrown333

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
Upstate SC
I tried to add my TD Bank Visa debit card this morning and it got to the user agreement page, I clicked Agree, then it errors out. This was around 6:30AM Eastern Time. I tried again at 7:45AM and it says that my bank does not support Apple Pay, maybe it won't start working until 10AM or 1PM today.

fb2

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I tried to add my TD Bank Visa debit card this morning and it got to the user agreement page, I clicked Agree, then it errors out. This was around 6:30AM Eastern Time. I tried again at 7:45AM and it says that my bank does not support Apple Pay, maybe it won't start working until 10AM or 1PM today.

I just tried and it added my TD Visa credit card but then when I call the number to verify its just a prerecorded message about mobile wallets coming soon then disconnects. Will try again later.

martinctv

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
TD debt visa

Just tried to enter my debt visa from TD bank into apple pay. I get the agree to terms then a popup saying invalid card, but according to the list debt visa card should work.

fb2

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I just tried and it added my TD Visa credit card but then when I call the number to verify its just a prerecorded message about mobile wallets coming soon then disconnects. Will try again later.

Just got a push notification saying my card was ready to activate so I called the number and this time it went through, verified my info then the rep said it was activated. When I went back to passbook it is now showing as activated. Looking forward to using Apple Pay finally! :apple:

Edit: Above is for my TD Credit card. Trying to add my debit card and I get the terms and conditions screen, I accept but then get the Invalid Card message - "Check the information on your card and try again". The info is exactly how it is on my card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.