Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
This machine wasn't designed for power users but for the 99.9% percent that aren't

Yes it is. That 99.9% you're going on and on about would be better off with a $500 iPad than a $1500 iMac.

----------

How about the tape failing after time... Monitors crashing on desktops everywhere. Only a matter of time imo....

...maybe 20 years from now. They're likely using industrial adhesives to hold the screen in place. It'd take forever for it to lose its stickiness.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
That's always been the case though, it's not an excuse for apple to mar how upgradable and repairable their computers are, I think you 'll agree there.

I don't. This is a machine designed for common users. Apple has an obligation to nothing in terms of why they, untrained etc, can do to foul up their stuff and then expect Apple to fix it because 'its under warranty'

You want a machine you can muck around in, get a Mac Pro or a PC

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
One of the most important things with computers is upgradability. Why spend $2000 for a computer only for it to no longer have the minimum requirements needed 3-5 years from now, and then shell out another $2000. It's a waste of money, and resources (so much for environmental sustainability).

The iPhone and iPad are computers and they are the model for future computing. Nothing about it is user serviceable and in time this argument will be moot and iFixIt will be in search of a new business model.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Probably about the same. Of course, your 2011 iMac probably still should have been under warranty (unless Switzerland doesn't share the 2-year minimum that's common across most of Europe).

Not how that warranty works. Cx would have to prove the part was broken upon delivery to go the route you are talking.

Renzatic

Suspended
I think ole Charlietuna has me on ignore.

Your "not for the power user" argument is lame and unfounded. The fact charges at least $1500 for it, and can be upgraded to an i7 processor with 32GB of ram flies in the face of that.

What "average user" needs an i7 processor with 32GB of ram? It's as much as designer machine as a mom 'n pop email machine. Why claim it's for the lowest common denominator when it's capable of so much more by design?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Man, how many more times is this going to be brought up?
If you think this is the first desktop Mac with a 5400rpm drive, think again.
This is nothing new.

I can't think of an iMac that has used a 2.5" 5400 RPM drive, hence the question. And a 3.5" 7200 RPM drive should be faster than the drive used.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
How about the tape failing after time... Monitors crashing on desktops everywhere. Only a matter of time imo....

It isn't using sticky tape that you bought at the store for $1.99 and use it to wrap presents. So your argument is pointless. However, it does not excuse Apple's design decisions.

Is not being to upgrade RAM and hard drive a bad idea? Yes.

This should not need further explanations. I can't believe that people are somehow trying to spin this into a good thing and attacking those that are pointing out that it's bad. My favourite and most confusing posts are the ones attacking iFixit itself. Incredible stuff. Some of you guys are being wasted spending your time defending Apple's design decisions on MR. You should be working in PR for governments and corporations. The spin I've read in this thread is world-class PR stuff.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why do some people back Apple on every move they make?

Anyway I think It's troublesome, in the past Memory upgrades could be done by anyone,

And they likely have stats backing up the cut of folks that have done so. Stats that show it is a vast minority

So is it really that troublesome, for the intended audience for these machines

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
3. Why spend $2000 for a computer only for it to no longer have the minimum requirements needed 3-4 years from now, and then shell out another $2000? - In 4 years time, if you want to bring your computer back into the latest tech? You can't, CPU sockets have probably changed and new ram speeds aren't supported by your motherboard. And the speed these port connections are advancing lately (USB 3, thunderbolt, lightning connectors) they might be unsupported. And of course you'll have to upgrade your operating system, because only windows 8 supports the new Direct X 11.1, nomatter if you upgrade your card or not.

But they can upgrade all of that. And for half the price evil money grubbing Apple wants for a new computer.

Some folks are just like that. The vast majority is not. They will pay Apple for a new computer, with AppleCare like always

----------

Still curious why they keep the chin. I suppose it gives a placement for the logo.

Also stabilizes the display. They could probably reduce it but they won't likely ever get rid of it

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
And they likely have stats backing up the cut of folks that have done so. Stats that show it is a vast minority

So is it really that troublesome, for the intended audience for these machines

Where did you get these stats from? Have you participated in, or seen, such surveys? I have upgraded the RAM myself in all my Macs, apart from the rMBP (obviously). What do you base your flawed argument on?

It really isn't a difficult thing to deduce whether there is a demand for after-market Mac RAM upgrades, if one uses some common sense and logic. If there wasn't a large market for after-market Mac memory upgrades, why would RAM manufacturers bother showing exactly which memory is Mac compatible in their specifications and, more importantly, bother testing and validating their after-market upgrade kits with Macs. Do you think they do it out of the kindness of their heart, for a giggle, or because they know they get a significant enough revenue to justify the expense?

These people have the figures in front of them to decide whether it makes business sense. What do you have? Flawed preconceptions based on nothing and a loud voice.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you very much...

What happens, when a Authorized Apple Service installs the new SSD? Will I lose also the warranty?

If they are replacing it as part of service you are find. They are authorized to do this.

If they are upgrading it, that's a gray area. We haven't seen anything in whether an AASP is approved to aftermarket upgrade such parts.

----------

I am waiting for the TB display to get upgraded to USB 3.0 and look as sleek as this thing.

Don't forget the HDMI inputs and higher refresh rates. And then watch the Analysts not figure out that it is the 'real Apple TV' :eek:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Replacing the HD looks pretty easy to me, but for those more timid, I'm sure Apple will offer reasonable labor prices.

And yet there have been a number of claims in this thread that replacing the HD is "impossible". :sigh:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
."

The floppy was ready to die when Apple quit offering them. However, the DVD refuses to die mainly because of horrible digital content distribution.

Remove the drive, making digital the main way, and consumers will demand improvement. Or at least that is the theory

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Yeah but how many people actually have the experience and desire to tear apart their $1300 desktop like that to just replace hd and ram? Will this void the warranty? Not sure how anyone could say this design choice by Apple is innovative. Maybe for Apple.

Well if you are going to play the numbers game, you're not going to win this one IMO. How many buying iMacs actually give a crap about replacing the HD or RAM themselves? My guess is very few.

Will it void the warranty? I see no evidence to suggest it would, and plenty of evidence to the contrary, i.e. your warranty is not at risk.

I don't know if its innovative, but I do think it will please far more than it will displease, and I expect it to sell well.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
...Any power computer user (as loosely defined as that may be) knows one of THE most important aspects when buying a desktop is repairability and upgradability, because parts age and fail and have to be replaced...
True, any power user is going to stay as far away from this computer as they can and go for a Mac Pro next year, unless they do not plan on trying to upgrade any hardware (outside of RAM on the 27")

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Replacing the HD looks pretty easy to me, but for those more timid, I'm sure Apple will offer reasonable labor prices.

"Reasonable prices" and "Apple" in the same sentence? The HD is fairly straightforward. I remember lots of people complaining when the aluminum iMacs first came out that pulling the glass would be impossible for anyone but a skilled tech. Turns out it was a fairly easy job.

jim.bright17

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Alberta
I agree, am also glad I have a maxed-out 2011 iMac. Just a quick example of WHY this matters: today I took my computer to an AASP because of an annoying coil whine coming from the top.

Turns out it was the PSU that needs replacement. The technician showed this ON THE SPOT, after just pulling the outer glass and unscrewing the LCD part. Final cost? USD 200, split between 110 for the PSU plus 90 for the service (this in Switzerland, the country with one of the highest manual labor rates in the world).

And why this relatively cheap rate? Because it barely takes 30min for him to replace the PSU. Now think about how much costlier would such a repair be on the new iMac... ;)

...But think of how much easier it would have been to carry the new one to the repair shop ;)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
The bottom line really comes down to this folks. Apple has said from day #1 that its guiding philosophy when building machines isn't price, but to design the best computers they can for their intended purpose. Yet all of you come in and complain that the price to upgrade or repair your machine is too expense. Well then perhaps Apple isn't the brand for you.

The simple fact is Apple will upgrade the HD and RAM for you, at a cost. So this isn't a debate about the design of the computer, but the dam price.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The high end iMac is faster than all but a couple MacPros. It is externally upgradable via speedy TB unlike all MacPros. And they have USB3. In theory they check all the boxes of advanced users except those who cannot live without advanced graphics processors. If 12 cores is never enough you should probably set up a grid anyway with 4-6 top end Mac-Mini's.

Say what you will about whether or not that is a good idea, but it doesn't suck either.

Last edited:

djxtra74a

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
County Durham UK
sick

See the thing that makes me sick is Apple devices are the most expensive, They should let us the user have root accsess and the build quility should be second to none, Apple might be the second best selling Smartphones at the moment but if you can,t Jailbreak 20% ARE going to jump ship to Android and the new Mac with a glued down screen that is taking the p!ss big time the money it costs. Apple heres a message you ARE going to lose custom people want/need to use there device how they want Jailbroken or not, When ios5 came out it reached past 1,000,000 Jailbreaks and you are going to lose at least that many customers unless we can have root access, Simple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.