Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Really? I remember there was a big hooplah about games supporting it about a year ago, then...haven't heard much of anything about it since. I rarely ever even see the logo on newer games these days.

I know physics effects are still a big deal these days, and only getting bigger, but considering both the Xbox One/PS4 are using AMD processors and GPUs, they won't be using PhysX. I think what they're doing there is shunting them off to another processor core to handle, rather than using spare cycles on the GPU.
The consoles might not support PhysX, but that doesn't mean developers can't offload their physics to PhysX calculations with Nvidia cards, or implement PhysX-specific effects.

Games are actually implementing even more Nvidia-specific technologies than just PhysX, such as HBAO+ and TXAA.

Here's the most recent title to be enhanced with Nvidia features: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-physx
(I don't actually think the implementation of these effects is actually "better" here, but the point is that it's still being used in the latest games)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
the problem is this-- you keep talking about giant gaps in the lineup but you're not calling it for what it really is.. a cost complaint.

I think there's more to the problem than a cost complaint. I'll make it really simple for you.

1> No gaming level GPUs anywhere in Apple's lineup. All except the Mac Pro are using inferior mobile GPUs and the new Mac Pro is using a workstation GPU. In short, there's a distinct gaming orientated Mac missing from the lineup. Some might just call it a missing "desktop" from the lineup since the iMac is really a Macbook with a giant arse screen on it and the Mac Mini lacks a good GPU. Thus, there's more than a "price" gap. There's a feature gap.

2> The old Mac Pro can have a decent gaming card, but it's going away and yes there is a pricing gap there as well since it was not designed to be a desktop or gaming machine, but a workstation with its associated Xenon CPU and protected (more expensive) memory.

3> Some don't care about gaming (you it seems), but that doesn't change the fact there's a gap in the lineup, whether you approve of the machine that fills that gap or not.

Quite frankly, a quality GPU option for the Mac Mini would suffice to address the problem for most people. It still lacks card expansion that some might want, but I think it's pretty obvious we're not going to see another PowerMac again. I had/have (not in use) a PowerMac Digital Audio from 2001 that was upgraded to Sata, USB2 and a 1.8GHz CPU along with a hefty video card upgrade. It was used up until 2011. Now that is a long lifespan and it's due to the fact that it was expandable and reasonably priced (compared to a Mac Pro). In fact, I bought it used in 2006 and it was still a better deal at the time to upgrade it than get a PPC Mac Mini or even a first generation Intel one, neither of which really had a longer life-span.

I personally think Apple could make a Mac Mini that is gaming capable for around $1200 no problem. Or they could make a consumer desktop version of the Mac Pro in the same case with a regular motherboard and gaming video card for around $2k. I personally think given the lack of internal expansion, the Mini is the better candidate, but it would probably need to be a bit longer and have better airflow, preferably with quieter fans. This would be simple for Apple to do and it would still be pretty darn "Mini" by most standards. Frankly, I think it's overly small given it's supposed to be a "desktop". They could have even made a rack-mount sized "Blu-Ray/DVD Player" sized machine and it would still take up little space. The same machine could have then doubled as a TRUE rack-mount "Server" for the Server version of the Mac Mini. This would make 100x more sense than the box they gave us, which is in its current dimensions for no obvious reasons what-so-ever. They seem to want to make it as small as possible, but that's not typically a design criteria for a desktop.

Even so, my new Mac Mini 2012 covers all my needs except newer games. The fact it runs games fine that are a few years old shows how far Intel integrated GPUs have come and perhaps that will one day solve the issue where Apple refuses to address it, but it's still pretty underpowered for many games. It does make a good AV server, encoder and Internet terminal, though.

yes it's happening.. that's what i keep trying to say.. not only do these gaps not exist-- there are overlaps throughout the lineup..

Based on your iPad vs Mac analogy, I think you have a very strange idea of a "gap" in a lineup. Clearly, for the rest of us simply not being able to get the Mac hardware we would like to have (that is readily available for Windows) is what drives some to build a Hackintosh. For some, the hardware from Apple is irreleveant. It is OSX that makes the Mac what it is. In days long gone, Mac hardware used to be different from PCs. using specialized connectors in some places, less common interfaces in others and a completely different CPU core. These days, a Mac is a glorified PC in a pretty case with EFI instead of the more common Bios (although Windows can install straight to EFI these days as well).

what do you use your computer for- exactly?

because i'm sorry but i think most of you guys are full of it.. or that youre mainly spec nerds/geekbench players and i'm glad apple ignores you all or else they'd be making some pretty lame computers..

I use it for the Internet, an AV Server and video encoder, Gaming and writing music with Logic Pro. At least those are the most common things. Gaming is where the weak spot is. But if you think a Mac with a good gaming card would make it "lame", how exactly? Because you don't like gaming? That's not a valid reason. It's a "the world must revolve around me" kind of reason we call Ego. Sorry, but no one person is the center of the Universe.

hmm. i don't think i was trying to be positive back there.. just trying not to get banned from the forums by saying what i was really thinking.

Then perhaps your problem is you since the rest of us are trying to discuss things rationally and peacefully.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Admittedly, I know next to nothing about CUDA on a Mac, but I do know Nvidia has drivers available for OSX that support it. So I'm guessing it's still around in some form there, just not in any "official" capacity.

short history- cuda was developed by nvidia at they same time opencl was being written by apple (they released within months of each other).. initially, cuda didn't work on mac and it took another year or so til they released a version which did..

from that alone, i think it's pretty obvious apple never planned on supporting cuda since they had their own language which more/less competes directly and is arguably much better for users.. apple gave up control of opencl (to the same nonprofit group in charge of openGL) and it's now an open standard which is designed to run on cpus as well as a multitude of gpus instead of one single vendor's gpus).. from what i gather via a few different developers (win/mac), cuda is more mature at the moment and more importantly, it's easier for them to get running in their software but they all say they'd rather use the standard language of openCL and they're excited/hopeful to see it mature further.

the announcement of amd only graphics in the nmp more/less shows without a doubt how much apple cares about cuda and while i don't know for sure, cuda could very likely be one of the reasons we don't see nvidia in the mac pros right now.

but then again, take that fwiw because i'm not a developer and i also haven't studied this too hard.. it's just things i've picked up from reading developer's povs on the subject.. i do use two gpu accelerated programs in my workflow though (one is openCL only and the other supports both cuda & opencl) so i do have a hand in play..

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
You seem to be under the impression that anyone who wants to own a Mac must be at the top of their field earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, so the cost of a Mac Pro must be trivial to their work.

well, i'm not under that impression.. the point i was trying to make with showing some of my high dollar clients was that these people are at the top of their fields and they're mainly using midrange macs in their operations/productions..
the question meant to be posed by those examples was how come these people doing topend work are fine with midrange offerings with a few mac pros sprinkled in while people on the internet are saying these computers are too underpowered for their work (while conveniently leaving out any sort of details of what their needs actually are)..

i'm talking about what i know and see and most of you all are just saying things with no evidence to back up your words.. so put yourself in my shoes.. which side holds more weight?
me seeing high end production on midrange computers or me seeing zero production from someone complaining about lack of specs?

like, do you really think i have any reason at all to consider your arguments in this thread in a way which would sway me away from what i already see in real life?
i mean, i'm open to listening to you.. but i'm also asking you many direct questions about your needs to which you simply won't answer.. if you're full of it or not doesn't really matter.. in fact, i want you to be not bs_ing me.. but the way you present to me, i think you're completely full of it.. is that understandable?

Congratulations if you're in a position where you can just spend $5000 on a new Mac Pro without even having to think about it.
Just because that's true for you, does not make it true for probably the majority of Mac owners.
lol.. if that's how i'm actually coming across then i'm saying things in a way which don't coincide with my real life.. because i'm not super rich or anything like that and i seriously investigate prior to buying a multithousand dollar purchase.. i can afford a mac pro- sure.. or maybe more importantly, i can use a mac pro to generate money in which it pays for itself but i'm not the type of person who feels comfortable with ripping off my clients for my own luxuries.. i like making an honest dollar or maybe i'm just wired that way (possibly to a fault in certain instances)

You really don't seem to have a grasp on what people are asking for with the "xMac"

haha.. it would be neat if for one minute you could pretend like you're perfectly content with the computers you own and see no need for an xmac..

because then, you'd be able to read back through this thread and see what people are asking for with the xmac (and it gets even more funny if you follow the xmac meme for the past 15 years)..

but in this thread alone, we have one guy saying an xmac is an imac without a monitor, another guy saying imac graphics suck, another guy saying an xmac requires the ability to use any gpu on the market, another guy saying it needs fast hex-i7s, a couple of people saying it's the mac mini and the mac pro combined as a single model which is highly configurable and will cover all usages/price ranges etcetc..

so if i add up all your wishes, i arrive at a computer which is going to end up being the same or more expensive than the nmp..

you should start a thread about 'what is an xmac?' then report back here when and if you find there's anywhere close to a singular idea.. it would end up being an argument thread but the difference between that and this one (i.e.- this one is me saying the xmac is lame and everybody that wants an xmac is battling me over it)... well, that thread would be everybody that wants an xmac arguing amongst themselves and you should find out real quick that when you say to me-- ""You really don't seem to have a grasp on what people are asking for with the "xMac"" ..how funny of a statement that actually is..

and it sounds like you are not very technically minded,
if you say so.. :/

as you don't seem to understand the performance requirements many people have.
ok.. for the billionth time.. how about you explain your performance requirements.. not his not hers not them not they - but you exactly.

You seem to be in a position where you can just buy the fastest Mac available and assume that it will meet your performance requirements, without actually having to think about whether it will or not, or considering the price you have to pay for the level of performance that you get from it.

lol.. that's great.. i think i should just create an alternative online persona and be that guy.. sounds sort of dreamy in a way but i'm sure there are bad side effects as well.

Please stop bringing up the Mac Mini. That's for people that want OS X and just use it for email or word processing on a large monitor instead of buying a notebook.
you're joking, right? or is that simply what you think it's for and no serious users are actually using a mac mini? because i'm telling you 100% without a doubt that there are plenty of people using mac minis for things far more demanding than checking emails and writing term papers.

It's far too slow for anything which requires real CPU performance, and useless for anything that requires graphics performance.
<sigh>

Many of us want a machine that costs ~$2000 where it's all spent on performance, and not a built-in display.
then go buy one.. seriously man, what's the hold up?

(snip) i guess i could keep going with this thing of responding to each of your sentences individually but i'd rather you just answer that one question..

how about you explain your performance requirements.. not his not hers not them not they - but you exactly.. what apps do you use?. what content do you create? do you have some examples you can share? etc.

it would put some of this stuff you're saying in perspective.

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Seriously, you think I'm lying about what I do for a living? Really?

no.. not you necessarily because you're at least talking about some of your specific needs but as far as 'you' in general.. yes, i think you're lying.

As a matter of fact, high end music production, particularly sample based stuff, can have very high CPU demands but not require spending dollar amounts that make a thousand or two something to be just ignored.
yeah, i get that.. the problem though is that pretty much the only 'bad' thing with the new pro and your particular usage (as i understand it at least) is that you'd probably only be paying extra money for a gpu you don't need.. which probably translates to less than $500.. all the other stuff in the nmp though-- the xeon, the fast ram at high capacity, pcie flash drive, fast i/o, low noise level, even it's size(portability) are all things that i think a music producer would like very much and it's not wasted hardware..
i mean, the nmp exactly as it is except only one gpu seems to be a super sweet computer for a music producers.. am i right in thinking that?

Over and over again you misread. Apple doesn't make a machine that fits my needs. So I use a hackintosh.

i'm not misreading.. i'm being stubborn on purpose as an attempt to make a point.. i know i'm doing it though.

i also know i'm being hypocritical in a lot of this stuff because much of what i'm saying has to do with being productive instead of worrying about specs.. meanwhile i'm sitting around arguing about specs on the internet and not being productive it all.. i know i'm doing this too (though this is one i need to get a handle on and stop worrying about.. it's actually beginning to negatively affect my life ;) )

Nope. I want Apple to have more customer options so people can buy configurations that are closer to what I need.
yeah, i'm sure most people would like that too.. however, i bet maybe 1% of people buy a computer which truly fits them to the extent where it feels like the computer was custom made for them..
in a way, the new mac gets really close to this for my scenario though there are still a few little things which i wouldn't have on a custom computer but those are things like ports (no ethernet, 4 thunderbolt would suffice.. 2 usbs.. i don't use bluetooth).. other than the stuff like that, i'll use every inch of the thing.. more so than the mp1 in which i didn't need or use all those HD bays or pcie slots or optical drive or dual cpu but i was still paying for them..

there's always going to be compromise and i hope you can understand that i do understand cost is usually the most difficult compromise to make or ultimately a deciding factor in how much you're willing to overspend on a computer that doesn't suit you perfectly in order to use the parts which you need.

I'm not sure if you are really misunderstanding the discussion or if it's just easier for you to respond if you pretend that everyone else is saying nothing but "cheapercheapercheaper".
as i said earlier, i'm being stubborn on purpose.. i really do feel this is mostly a cost argument though because if cost weren't a factor, i'm pretty sure you'd be super hyped on using a nmp for your work and the fact that it had two gpus wouldn't bother you so much if at all..

Regardless, they've managed to come up with a way to take a quad core based computer and triple the price.
heh, yeah.. they've also come up with a way to sell $500 phones.. i remember when phones cost $30 or 25¢ a pop if out&about :)

(of course i see the difference in functions between the two.. just sayin though)

None more times. Now I've saved you some typing, you're welcome.
gracias

Absolutely. But there's a good chance that things like audio software may never benefit from GPU. And if it's going to take three years for new hardware to be put to good use, why not just wait until the software catches up and buy the hardware then when it's faster and cheaper?
just to put some things into perspective as to the position i personally am talking from.. two of my apps are already leveraging openCL and have been for over a year now.. one of them, my rendering app, the head dev has told me 'the d300s should be just fine for our current implementation but before the year is up, you're going to see huge performance boosts in which the d700s are going to give you a great advantage".. so while i can understand that everybody's software won't be able to utilize the dual gpus, mine will so it's exciting and i speak from that perspective..

i mean, i'm going to be getting upwards of 30x performance gains at much much cheaper costs than if i wanted to get those types of gains via dual socket mega-core machines.. for instance- getting only 2x performance gains over a 12 core would require a 24 core system.. imagine what the cost would be if i wanted to get 30x increase via cpu.. it's unfathomable (and thankfully, apple has seen this and designed the nmp in the way they have.. whether or not people on the internet realize this is irrelevant to me but i guess it's fun to argue about .)

Not specs but actual performance. Does that extra money buy me better performance running my apps? No. But somehow you still see "value" in that?

You have been very vocal in your defense of the MP, are you buying one? Are you running a Mac Pro now?

sort of answering all those questions at once but yes, i see value in it.. i'm on a 1,1 right now and it still works well.. if i had purchased another company's product 7 years ago, would it still be going strong in the same way my mac pro is or would i have had to replace it by now? . i really don't know the answer to that since i've never used anything but mac but it doesn't really matter.. i personally feel i get great value out of my macs even though they're not the most spec'd out machines on the market at the time of purchase.. i'm positive i can, on paper, get more hardware for cheaper but does it really translate that way over time? pretty much the most important thing for me as far as value goes is that when i'm not sitting around on the internet arguing about computers and i'm actually getting crap done, i don't think about my computers.. i'm confident in the tool and when i turn it on, it does what i expect it to do.. every time-- year after year.. whether this is real or perceived in comparison to other models doesn't really matter.. i have confidence in my equipment and i find that very valuable.
i've also had a G5 and started on a friend's G4.. and getting a hex/d700 nmp.
(also use their laptops starting with a 17" g4 powerbook->2007mbp->2010mbp)

i'm near due for a new laptop (well, i use $2g refurb laptops) now which is going to have to wait til maybe mid2015 and overdue on a desktop replacement but this nmp wait has kind of screwed up my system.. but i guess it saved me some money in the long run :)

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
(i'm typing too much already so i'm not going to respond to all you've said.. i'm not ignoring you and have read what you wrote)

I use it for the Internet, an AV Server and video encoder, Gaming and writing music with Logic Pro. At least those are the most common things. Gaming is where the weak spot is. But if you think a Mac with a good gaming card would make it "lame", how exactly? Because you don't like gaming? That's not a valid reason. It's a "the world must revolve around me" kind of reason we call Ego. Sorry, but no one person is the center of the Universe.
it's not necessarily that i don't like gaming (more like- if i let myself get into gaming then it would be bad for me.. same with booze for me.. i like my mj though :) ) . it's that i'm out of touch with it and/or the hardware required to properly run it.. so if i tried arguing about it, i'd be bs_ing you.. maybe there is a need for a gaming mac.. i really don't know but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you.

Then perhaps your problem is you since the rest of us are trying to discuss things rationally and peacefully.

i see truth in that statement.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
because if you were doing high end music production, the cost of the pc is so small in comparison to the other tools/facilities needed that i can't grasp the worry over a thousand dollars.

This gets repeated a lot when talking about so called “pros”. Some people just can’t get why other people won’t overspend by “just a $1000” or what ever mark. Money being money, there is always an opportunity cost. Even if you’re rolling in $100 bills like Scrooge McDuck, you could presumably put what ever amount of money to better use somewhere else than buying something you don’t need. Which then allows you to make still more money.

People that work for a living don’t go very far without realizing these kinds of things.... So, either you’re A) a terrible businessman B) you can’t see through your own bias on this issue.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
well, i'm not under that impression.. the point i was trying to make with showing some of my high dollar clients was that these people are at the top of their fields and they're mainly using midrange macs in their operations/productions..

Uh... not all work at the “top of their fields” is the same.... did that dawn on you?

People are telling you their needs and how Apple is lacking and you’re just not listening. AT. ALL.

They want high powered CPU use without the duel GPU (that’s the camp I’d be in) or they want midranges CPUs with single high end DESKTOP GPUs and no attached monitor.

Is this seriously that hard to understand?

i'm talking about what i know and see and most of you all are just saying things with no evidence to back up your words.. so put yourself in my shoes.. which side holds more weight?

EXACTLY. You can’t get out of your shoes, so you expect everyone else to get in your’s instead. What do expect people to do, bring you home with them and smattering of different computers and run their specific work flows and leisure activities and see which one works the best. Honestly man, just listen to people.

like, do you really think i have any reason at all to consider your arguments in this thread in a way which would sway me away from what i already see in real life?
i mean, i'm open to listening to you.. but i'm also asking you many direct questions about your needs to which you simply won't answer.. if you're full of it or not doesn't really matter.. in fact, i want you to be not bs_ing me.. but the way you present to me, i think you're completely full of it.. is that understandable?

What a trolling bunch of BS. First you tell us about how no argument here in not-real-life, apparently, can sway you from what you see in your real life. Then you say you’re open to listening to people, but then you claim you’re getting no real answers, when I know for sure I saw at least two of the people talking to you give pretty detailed explanations of what they do, then to cap off you insinuate they might be full of it.

I have a question for you: Are you bipolar? One second you sound like maybe you’ll say something reasonable, then you completely contradict yourself and cap off with an ad hominem. Either you’re trolling or you seriously should see a doctor.

but in this thread alone, we have one guy saying an xmac is an imac without a monitor, another guy saying imac graphics suck, another guy saying an xmac requires the ability to use any gpu on the market, another guy saying it needs fast hex-i7s, a couple of people saying it's the mac mini and the mac pro combined as a single model which is highly configurable and will cover all usages/price ranges etcetc..

All of which is basically covered with the typical “box-with-slots” type PC. People want something more easily customizable like a traditional PC. Hex cores aren’t going to show up in that space until Skylake, IIRC, but pretty much everything else that you mention is covered in mid sized “box-with-slots” Mac. Are you still confused?

how about you explain your performance requirements.. not his not hers not them not they - but you exactly.. what apps do you use?. what content do you create? do you have some examples you can share? etc.

I know you’re not asking me, but in an effort to get through to you I’ll answer. I’m in genomics. Very, very, very few things use a GPU at all. The games I play can run fine on any modern GPU (including Intel HD graphics, yes not the fancy HD 4600 or 4000 or what not, I’m talking the stuff that now only comes on the Pentiums). If I was thrust into the computer market again with a good cluster easily accessible, I would be favoring single socket system. I would want a basic GPU, literally something that might cost $30, and the 1650v2. The 1660v2 is great and all, but the .2GHz probably isn’t worth $500. In this machine I could do things like align RNA-seq data to reference genomes at a rate of about 4 samples a day or so, depending on sequencing depth (you asked for specifics, so go read up). You know, experiments like taking some human cancer cells, treating them with a drug and control, and seeing what genes turn on and off. That’s the kind of stuff I do and its a CPU hog at times, but the simple stuff can be done on a single socket system in the days to week or so time scale. So, its good spot to be in. If you have a crazy experiment with 100’s of samples, you’re going to need a cluster. And if you’re doing de novo genomes/transcriptomes, you’re going to need a lot of RAM, which pushes you into a new price bracket (and your local cluster might have high-RAM machines available, or you could find one that does). But for a more typical genomics work flow, you’re getting the bulk of the heavy lifting for 1-2 weeks worth of wet work done in 3-7 days. Which to me seems about right (now waiting for sequencing cores to get your data to you can take a couple months, but the idea is you have multiple of these going at the same time). Sorry if you don’t like the details, but you asked...

Now, why does the iMac suck for this? Well I worked on an iMac for several years doing just these things and I had these issues:

A) I can’t stand glossy displays in office settings. I either have to turn the screen up so bright it starts to hurt my eyes or I’m dealing with glare issues.

B) RAM is capped at 32GB, which is good but ideally it would be at least 64GB if not 128. Single jobs often don’t use >32GB, but I’m often multitasking to the point that several things all want 8-16GBs. Plus, its annoying to have to run every little job that comes up that needs >32GBs of RAM on the cluster. Basically, its a flexibility issue.

C) Four cores is just not enough. If you’re using your computer for email/Word/etc its a bad idea to cram every core you have with computation. Then your normal usage slows way down and you want to slam your head into the keyboard. That might not be a problem if the job takes 2 minutes, but imagine it takes 5 days. So, the iMac is really 2-3 usable computation cores, while a 1650v2 would be 4-5. Basically, what I’m saying is its not a 50% improvement, but rather a 66-100% improvement moving from 4 cores to 6.

D) When buying a new computer, the iMac is expensive compared to a basic six core workstation. For this potential computer the z420 with a 1650v2 is about $2100 after the 20% off. Once you buy 64GB RAM, HDDs and a basic monitor, its more like $2600. The iMac with the i7 is about $2000 after education discount. With 32GB of RAM and expanded storage, its up around $2300 or so. So, for ~$300 more bucks, I get nearly twice the CPU in real terms, 2x the RAM, and maybe most importantly, no head aches.

Then, don’t even bring up the Mac Mini, the mobile CPU and even more RAM issues is a non-starter.

Now, I see here I’m asking for six cores and >32GB of RAM. So i’m not in the xMac camp, but this is where Apple has a gap for me. The new MP is not right, the iMac isn’t right, nothing else is even close, but OSX is great, how well, better get used to Windows and Linux.

Last edited:

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
well, i'm not under that impression.. the point i was trying to make with showing some of my high dollar clients was that these people are at the top of their fields and they're mainly using midrange macs in their operations/productions.
Well maybe you should consider why that might be the case, instead of them spending $5,000-10,000 on each machine.
the question meant to be posed by those examples was how come these people doing topend work are fine with midrange offerings with a few mac pros sprinkled in while people on the internet are saying these computers are too underpowered for their work
When the Mac Pro is overpriced, and the iMac is not sufficient, there's a gap in the market which is only filled by PC's or Hackintoshes right now.
Just because you can use a slower machine, does not mean it is a smart thing to do, or a good use of your money.
There are very few times where the speed of a computer actually prevents you from doing anything - it just makes it too slow to be worthwhile.
while conveniently leaving out any sort of details of what their needs actually are
People have clearly gone into what their requirements are several times. You only seem to be concerned with what people are doing for a living - those of us who have a need for some sort of "xMac" already know what kind of performance we need. We don't need you to tell us.
That's why we mention specs, which you don't seem to care about.
me seeing high end production on midrange computers or me seeing zero production from someone complaining about lack of specs?
Just because something may work does not mean it's efficient or cost-effective. You can obviously get work done on a Mac Mini or an iMac. It doesn't change the fact that you could be doing that work much faster with a high-end desktop. (and that does not mean stepping up to a Mac Pro which is built for a different target market)
i can afford a mac pro- sure.. or maybe more importantly, i can use a mac pro to generate money in which it pays for itself
By the time new models are out, a Mac Pro will not have paid for itself for me (I definitely won't be 2-3x more productive with it compared to a $2000 PC - if anything it will be slower) and there's no clear upgrade path for current Mac Pro owners, unlike PC's, as they're using custom hardware throughout the machine.

In all likelihood, to upgrade to new hardware, you simply throw out the old machine and replace it with another $5000 purchase.

Now do you begin to understand the problem with the it?
i'm not the type of person who feels comfortable with ripping off my clients for my own luxuries
I would sincerely hope you're not in any position to be recommending hardware purchases if you're having such difficulty understanding why people might require something between an iMac and a Mac Pro.
it would be neat if for one minute you could pretend like you're perfectly content with the computers you own and see no need for an xmac.
Or maybe I'm in the market for a new system and would like to purchase something from Apple that runs OS X, but they don't offer a system that meets my requirements - requirements which are easily met with a PC, but then you have to run Windows or turn it into a Hackintosh. (which I would not count on for work)

For most professional tasks, OS X is completely optional. When a $2000 PC gets the job done, that a $3000 Mac Pro won't, it's difficult to not end up with a PC.
but in this thread alone, we have one guy saying an xmac is an imac without a monitor, another guy saying imac graphics suck, another guy saying an xmac requires the ability to use any gpu on the market
The two are not mutually exclusive. If the GPU is easily replaceable, there's nothing to say the base spec can't come without a GPU, or only with a low-end GPU, offering options up to the highest-end GPUs.
another guy saying it needs fast hex-i7s
If you didn't know that those "i7's" are also LGA2011 CPUs, it's an understandable request.
ok.. for the billionth time.. how about you explain your performance requirements.. not his not hers not them not they - but you exactly.
I have - multiple times in fact. I want the fastest Haswell (LGA1150) CPU that there is, paired with the fastest single GPU that offers CUDA support.
Many of us want a machine that costs ~$2000 where it's all spent on performance, and not a built-in display.
Perhaps you conveniently forgot that Apple does not make such a computer.
just to put some things into perspective as to the position i personally am talking from.. two of my apps are already leveraging openCL and have been for over a year now.. one of them, my rendering app, the head dev has told me 'the d300s should be just fine for our current implementation but before the year is up, you're going to see huge performance boosts in which the d700s are going to give you a great advantage".. so while i can understand that everybody's software won't be able to utilize the dual gpus, mine will so it's exciting and i speak from that perspective..

i mean, i'm going to be getting upwards of 30x performance gains at much much cheaper costs than if i wanted to get those types of gains via dual socket mega-core machines.. for instance- getting only 2x performance gains over a 12 core would require a 24 core system.. imagine what the cost would be if i wanted to get 30x increase via cpu.. it's unfathomable (and thankfully, apple has seen this and designed the nmp in the way they have.. whether or not people on the internet realize this is irrelevant to me but i guess it's fun to argue about .)
So because your requirements are met by the Mac Pro's focus on OpenCL performance, everyone's performance needs are met or should be met some time in the future when every application updates itself to use OpenCL and automatically see a 30x improvement in performance?

Or perhaps the rest of us are here in reality where our current tools use the CPU or CUDA for calculations.
These tools may move from CUDA to OpenCL - but maybe they won't. Or maybe it will be three years from now. Or perhaps CUDA performance will be twice that of OpenCL's performance for that task.

And some of the tools we're using today likely won't move off the CPU to the GPU, or will only see very minor performance increases when moving to the GPU.

Just because your workload happens to be OpenCL accelerated (which mostly seems to be video-related applications right now) does not mean everyone else's is, or ever will be.
i'm on a 1,1 right now and it still works well.. if i had purchased another company's product 7 years ago, would it still be going strong in the same way my mac pro is or would i have had to replace it by now?
And here we see the real reason why you are happy to spend $5,000 on the system, and don't want to talk specs.

A seven year old computer is not close to offering the performance I need.
You would not have been required to replace a PC, but it would have been a lot easier to keep it up to date as you only need to swap out the relevant parts. Want a new CPU? Drop it in - though you might have to replace the motherboard at the same time. Can't do that easily with a Mac. Same goes for the GPU.

If you see the computer as an appliance you only upgrade once every five years or more, then I guess spending $5,000 on it makes some amount of sense.
We upgrade our systems every two years on average - though it has been three this time with Intel's push for power efficiency rather than performance lately.

If you were to spend $1000 on upgrades each year rather than $5000 every five years, you would be far more productive over the course of those five years, rather than waiting and making a big jump in performance.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
People that work for a living don’t go very far without realizing these kinds of things.... So, either you’re A) a terrible businessman B) you can’t see through your own bias on this issue.

or C) i was being facetious as well as showing a semantics issue because when i hear 'high end' music production, i think of this.. in which $1000 is nothing and of course those types of studios should be running mac pros anyway regardless of what happens when you look at their exact usage through a microscope..

this is nothing against milo as i understand where he's coming from.. he's basically sitting in the same boat as i am when it comes to which type of spending we can make on our tools.. im also not trying to imply he's not producing high quality work.

People are telling you their needs and how Apple is lacking and you’re just not listening. AT. ALL.
people aren't talking about their needs.. and the one's who have, you can see how the conversations between them (or him) and i have switched paths.

read the post below yours and tell me with a straight face that that dude isnt' dodging questions and i should consider the stuff he's saying.. you gotta be careful online (and off) with blindly taking sides without truly considering the side you're jumping on.. because when you lump yourself into a "we vs. you" situation with someone who's obviously full of it, well you start looking like that too.

They want high powered CPU use without the duel GPU (that’s the camp I’d be in) or they want midranges CPUs with single high end DESKTOP GPUs and no attached monitor.

Is this seriously that hard to understand?

no, it's not hard..
likewise, is it hard to understand that every single one of you is asking for a different computer and the only thing they have in common is that it costs less than $2000..

spin this however you like but if you'd step back, i think you'll see that i'm listening to/considering everybody's individual wants more than any of you.. and i'm trying to point out that there's a huge conundrum being presented in that there's no single additional computer apple can release which is going to solve any of this.. they need to release at least 5 more computers in order to address the issues.. i 100% believe they're not going to do that.

the simplest solution i can see to address all of your individual concerns is to realize "xmac" isn't even a computer.. xmac is apple allowing you to install osx on any pc of your choice..
because most of the concerns here couldn't even be solved by a company like dell.. it would take all of the companies' offerings (hp, dell, acer, etc.) and the ability to install osx on any of them to quiet the lot of you..
but again, i 100% believe apple isn't going to do this either but it is the simplest solution.
do you understand what i'm getting at?

EXACTLY. You can’t get out of your shoes, so you expect everyone else to get in your’s instead. What do expect people to do, bring you home with them and smattering of different computers and run their specific work flows and leisure activities and see which one works the best. Honestly man, just listen to people.
oh.. you mean like how you're listening to me? sure.. no problem :/

What a trolling bunch of BS. First you tell us about how no argument here in not-real-life, apparently, can sway you from what you see in your real life.
that's what you want to believe i'm saying..

Then you say you’re open to listening to people, but then you claim you’re getting no real answers, when I know for sure I saw at least two of the people talking to you give pretty detailed explanations of what they do, then to cap off you insinuate they might be full of it.
yeah.. you're right.. 2 people out of probably 1000 people i've been having this conversation with..
in a way, it could be interpreted that you're telling me to believe everything i read on the internet.. i'll pass.

I have a question for you: Are you bipolar? One second you sound like maybe you’ll say something reasonable, then you completely contradict yourself and cap off with an ad hominem. Either you’re trolling or you seriously should see a doctor.
no.. not bipolar..
drop the huffypuffy and you might see what i'm saying.. i think i'm pretty damn consistent in what i say but you need to realize there are 10 or so topics going on here and you can't simply cross wires in the way it appears you're doing.

I know you’re not asking me, but in an effort to get through to you I’ll answer.
no.. actually i am asking you.. so thanks for answering the following.

I’m in genomics.
[...]
So i’m not in the xMac camp, but this is where Apple has a gap for me.

so you need a xeon with zilch gpu.. pretty much the same computer milo would like (minus the bit about you actually needing enormous processing power with the cluster) except you two might still bump heads as he probably doesn't need more than 32GB ram so he probably doesn't need the xeon.. (though the faster ram may benefit).. is this correct?

the thing with your individual case is that i really do think apple has completely addressed your usage scenario with the nmp.. your scenario sounds like a prime use case for gpgpu software.. i get it that your current software can't utilize the dual gpu but is that apple's fault or responsibility? or is it your software developer's?

when you see apple's sales literature "science & technology" which is also the part when they bring up 7tflops power.. do you not understand that they're talking specifically to you? or are they just lying?

i understand you're not forward thinking enough to realize your needs have been catered to very nicely in their latest design.. and that we can sit here and argue for days about "today, jan8, is what's important".. and that there's no way i'll make you understand that maybe tomorrow is more important in the long run.. your problem isn't a hardware problem because apple now offers the best computer they've ever produced for you usage scenario.. your problem is a software issue in that your developers haven't yet unlocked all that power which will completely eliminate your need of "you’re going to need a cluster".. because you have a cluster inside the little nmp and they're called d700s..

The new MP is not right, the iMac isn’t right, nothing else is even close, but OSX is great, how well, better get used to Windows and Linux.
do what you gotta do for today.. you'll be back though.. if you like osx and you continue to do the type of experiments you're currently running, there's no way you won't be back to macs in a couple of years.

i'd just say don't go overboard on your spending with your linux/windows box and to view it as a stop gap purchase.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
...these people are at the top of their fields...

...these people doing topend work...

Those guys might be famous but that doesn't mean the work they are doing is "topend" in terms of hardware demands. It's pointless to point to someone using a midrange machine and somehow think that means nobody needs more than a midrange machine? You really need to get out of your little bubble and you'll realize that different people are doing different work and have different needs.

You might as well insist that JK Rowling writes her books on a macbook from 2006, she's rich and at the top of her field so I guess nobody needs a faster machine than that.

And the elephant in the room is all the people at the top of their field using machines like six core i7 PCs for half the price of the quad MP and much better performance.

(while conveniently leaving out any sort of details of what their needs actually are)
...no evidence to back up your words...

You're on a message board. If you're not going to believe anything anyone says without "evidence" you might as well give it up.

high end production on midrange computers

You have no clue what "high end" means in the context of hardware needs.

Buy what? Apple doesn't make it.

.. all the other stuff in the nmp though-- the xeon, the fast ram at high capacity, pcie flash drive, fast i/o, low noise level, even it's size(portability) are all things that i think a music producer would like very much and it's not wasted hardware..

In the case of the quad, the xeon doesn't perform any better than the high end iMac. Quiet and flash drive are nice but that's pretty weak CPU performance for $2999. If you go read on the music discussion boards, many music producers are pretty negative about these new machines. Because Apple put their effort into optimizing for video apps, and so far only FCX seems to really benefit.

if cost weren't a factor, i'm pretty sure you'd be super hyped on using a nmp for your work

If cost weren't a factor, virtually all desktop users could use the nMP. But cost is a factor and nobody wants to waste their money. If Apple canned the mini and iMac would you really insist there was still no hole in the product line and it was just a cost issue?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Those guys might be famous but that doesn't mean the work they are doing is "topend" in terms of hardware demands. It's pointless to point to someone using a midrange machine and somehow think that means nobody needs more than a midrange machine? You really need to get out of your little bubble and you'll realize that different people are doing different work and have different needs.

You might as well insist that JK Rowling writes her books on a macbook from 2006, she's rich and at the top of her field so I guess nobody needs a faster machine than that.

And the elephant in the room is all the people at the top of their field using machines like six core i7 PCs for half the price of the quad MP and much better performance.

to me, the elephant in the room is that you won't let me make a point and that much of this other stuff i'm saying is meant to be supporting arguments for something much more simple i'm trying to say.. but the supporting arguments aren't the point..

You're on a message board. If you're not going to believe anything anyone says without "evidence" you might as well give it up.
you're right. completely right.

Buy what? Apple doesn't make it.
apple doesn't make a display which i can justify as affordable and they make lame mice..

so i buy samsung displays and logitech mice and i certainly don't sit around whining about how apple isn't making the products i need or want..

this idea of "i can only buy apple products except they don't make the products i want" is mind boggling to say the least.

In the case of the quad, the xeon doesn't perform any better than the high end iMac.

sure it does.. if you need 40lanes pcie instead of 16 and more than 32GB ram then it way outperforms the haswell.. if you don't need those things then the xeon doesn't outperform the i7.. different strokes..

If cost weren't a factor, virtually all desktop users could use the nMP. But cost is a factor and nobody wants to waste their money. If Apple canned the mini and iMac would you really insist there was still no hole in the product line and it was just a cost issue?

right, i get that.. what i meant though is if cost weren't a factor and you were using a nmp in your work, would you feel as though you have a machine sitting on your desk in which much of the hardware is simply sitting unused or would you be using all of what it has to offer.. to me, it seems like you would in fact utilize it where as someone running mostly ,say, illustrator wouldn't..

[edit] though if i'm being honest.. i think you could do your work just fine on imac hardware.. and i bet you know this too.. it's just that if you used a macpro, you'd probably get a bit better performance than an imac and you could put much of the nmp hardware to use.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
apple doesn't make a display which i can justify as affordable and they make lame mice..

so i buy samsung displays and logitech mice and i certainly don't sit around whining about how apple isn't making the products i need or want..

Third party displays and mice are going to work fine with OSX apps, that's not the case with the computer.

this idea of "i can only buy apple products except they don't make the products i want" is mind boggling to say the least.

Why? Of course anyone can buy a windows box instead...but that would require dumping all apps that are OSX only, which is a major hurdle. For anyone who needs to run OSX apps, buying apple computers is the only option besides building a hackintosh which is another can of worms.

sure it does...if...

And we're back to paying a lot more for unused hardware. The extra PCIe lanes are used up by the second GPU so anyone not needing second GPU isn't going to see any benefit from extra lanes either.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Those guys might be famous but that doesn't mean the work they are doing is "topend" in terms of hardware demands.

look.. i'm not an idiot.. i completely realize wayne's main requirement as far as hardware concerns go is that his vocal chords and wit/persona are on point and that billie joe's band is actually a band in which their instruments and ability to use them are what's most important..

but again.. you're not letting me make the point and instead are speaking condescendingly to me as an attempt to make me realize my view of hardware requirements are misguided.. but the problem is, i already know plenty about what you're trying to explain to me.. do you realize this is a possibility?

----------
And we're back to paying a lot more for unused hardware. The extra PCIe lanes are used up by the second GPU so anyone not needing second GPU isn't going to see any benefit from extra lanes either.

except for the part about 1 single gpu in the nmp uses all the bandwidth(16lanes) that the haswell has to offer.. i.e.- the haswell can't run a single high end gpu unless you drop the gpu to 8lanes in order to free up bandwidth for things like harddrives and i/o etc.

Third party displays and mice are going to work fine with OSX apps, that's not the case with the computer.

Why? Of course anyone can buy a windows box instead...but that would require dumping all apps that are OSX only, which is a major hurdle. For anyone who needs to run OSX apps, buying apple computers is the only option besides building a hackintosh which is another can of worms.

in summary-- you guys are all screwed and no solutions are available to address your needs and concerns..
too bad..
and while i'd like to feel sympathy towards you all, that feeling is just not happening inside of me.
good luck in the future.

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
the cost of the pc is so small in comparison to the other tools/facilities needed that i can't grasp the worry over a thousand dollars.

And I think you explain most of your problems understanding everyone elses posts here.

reading back and forth, you have a hard time grasping a lot of concepts other people have been saying, yet imposing that your opinions should be the correct one. then claiming you don't grasp what they're saying.

As someone who has accounting history. IT management history and dealing directly with CFO's and accountants when doing corporate IT purchasing...

It doesn't matter if my company is raking in 10,000 or 100 million. if you cannot justify the expenses of a purchase, it's not getting purchased.

Not every "professional" works out of their home as a private consultant making 6 figure incomes doing movie production for rock stars who can fork out $5k for a new machine, who only has to answer to his / her siginificant other for purchasing decision making.

I could absolutely love to have the new Mac pro. I can absolutely leverage the Xeon's and ECC ram for my testing and work purposes. I often run multiple VM's at once doing system testing that can chew up large amounts of CPU cycles and RAM for extended periods of time.

however. Those 2 Workstation GPU's are completely, utterly, unusable. Progress Software doesn't use GPU's at all. Will not use GPU's at all and cannot leverage GPU's in any way at all. What they need is more CPU cores.

in the current lineup. it's either Mac Mini with it's Laptop grade CPU's and parts. The iMac which, while using desktop CPU's, includes a display I don't need or want driving up the price, and the new Mac pro has those GPU's i cannot use, making the computer start at $3k plus.

There just isn't a high end Mac in the lineup that is just a customizable tower with the average midrange or high end parts. That is all everyone is saying. And because of that, a lot of people who are not media professionals, who are just looking for some way of gaming, have absolutely little choice but to go elsewhere.

As of right now, the only people who are benefiting from the performance of the new Mac Pro versus other worstations are people who are working around Final cut Pro. the Accounting side of me, and the management experience side of me just immediately wouldn't be able to justify it as an expense.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
And I think you explain most of your problems understanding everyone elses posts here.

i think (know) you're taking what i said out of context.. i was talking specifically about high end studios:

like this:
The-Hit-Factory-studio.jpg

if you think the owner or the person spending money on that facility sat down and analyzed every little bit (down to things such as computer specs) of the million dollars he spent then i think you're misguided..

it's more likely he paid 3-4 different companies a flat rate price to perform their individual tasks.. for the flooring, the owner may have received 3 bids from flooring companies and definitely didn't go through the bill of materials in a way like "well, it appears abc company is using stainless steel screws and they're $1000 more than xyz company using ceramic coated"..

the same goes for the acoustics, the electrical, the sound equipment, etc.. high end construction buyers are looking at overall prices such as xyz's bid is $125k and abc's is $135k.. they're not going down to homedepot and comparing price differences on birch vs. oak.. just like they're not going to apple,dell,hp,macrumors and comparing an imac to a mac pro..
the $1000 you see as so important is meaningless to them and their criteria & justifications for choosing one sub over another has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not there's a gap in apple's lineup..

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
i think (know) you're taking what i said out of context.. i was talking specifically about high end studios:

like this:

if you think the owner or the person spending money on that facility sat down and analyzed every little bit (down to things such as computer specs) of the million dollars he spent then i think you're misguided..

it's more likely he paid 3-4 different companies a flat rate price to perform their individual tasks.. for the flooring, the owner may have received 3 bids from flooring companies and definitely didn't go through the bill of materials in a way like "well, it appears abc company is using stainless steel screws and they're $1000 more than xyz company using ceramic coated"..

the same goes for the acoustics, the electrical, the sound equipment, etc.. high end construction buyers are looking at overall prices such as xyz's bid is $125k and abc's is $135k.. they're not going down to homedepot and comparing price differences on birch vs. oak.. just like they're not going to apple,dell,hp,macrumors and comparing an imac to a mac pro..
the $1000 you see as so important is meaningless to them and their criteria & justifications for choosing one sub over another has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not there's a gap in apple's lineup..
but thats the point.

everyones business needs are different. Everyones tech needs are different. everyones financial resources are managed differently.

you've put the blinders on pretty hard in this thread. I dont know if it's intentional and you're trying to prove a point (poorly cause nobody is getting it at all). Or you're just sort of.. ignorant to anything outside your own field.

But there are lots of examples, dozens on the boards if not hundreds throhought all of Mac Rumors forums alone of why the new Mac Pro, while it is a sexy little beast of a machine, is not actually a good buy for them. We're talking about tonnes of other fields and reasons. you just are failing to accept them.

you want specific examples for example why the Mac Pro's configuration doesn't work for all usage scenarios and why forcing the gpu's on userse is a waste of money?

I work as a software installation analyst for a company that makes enterprise level banking and financial institution software. the Back end database system we use is highly proprietary and is only made by a single software vendor.

To understand why it is CPU intensive, but GPU is irrelevant you must understand how the Broker to Server relationship works for the software. For example, When a new TCP connection is initiated to the Database, it connects to a "Broker" port. This broker process runs as a single thread of it's own. When that new request comes in, the broker then automatically either launches a new Server thread for that TCP connection or assigns that connection to an existing server thread. these parameters are highly configurable obviously, as you could in Thoery have every single new TCP connection spawn it's own server thread giving you a single dedicated thread per server connection.

This is a kind of task and acitivity that the GPU cost is un-surmountable obstical. There is no GPU compatibility with the software. There is no future plans for GPU processing, Since thats not really how Databases work with data.

for my testing, I will often have 2 or 3 VM's running at a time. in each VM i will have a server setup for testing purposes. For example, for a given project, the target build will be a 3 or 4 server instance (A database server, an Application Server, A front facing Web Server and usually a terminal server for the windows based front end).

All this work absolutely would leverage the New Mac Pro's CPU options and RAM options. But yet, there is no choice but to have those dual GPU's. Which I still have to pay for.

I would be more than happy if you gave me the Mac Pro, and a consumer card. I'm not a heavy gamer, but I wouldn't mind having a computer that CAN also pose as my gaming computer when i'm not testing. take out those dual GPU's and put in the consumer GPU could easily shave a few hundred, if not more from the cost of the nMP.

this is why most people are saying that the new Mac Pro, while a fantastic kit, just doesn't suit their needs and why the xMac (which i do agree is a silly old story), everyone talks about is a more configurable computer that provides options.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
That is all everyone is saying. And because of that, a lot of people who are not media professionals, who are just looking for some way of gaming, have absolutely little choice but to go elsewhere.

and if people would listen to what i'm saying instead of painting me into some sort of fanboy light or that i'm saying "apple is the best and they make something for everybody and they never make mistakes and if you can't use apple then you don't really need computers anyway and on and on and on"

i'm not saying that stuff at all.. in fact, most of my suggested solutions to people in the last few pages of this thread are to forget about apple and get the products which are more geared towards your specific needs and/or at a cost you're willing to swallow.. as in- i'm definitely not sitting around here shilling for apple.. i'm a problem solver by nature and i'm trying to help people solve their problems here by suggesting the simplest and/or cheapest routes.. but people seem to keep insisting the best solution to their problem is to sit around and moan&groan for apple specifically to make the product that they specifically want and i keep trying to point out how far fetched of a solution that truly is but it's not getting through to anybody.. and unfortunately for these people, they're just going to have to realize this the hard way..

----------

But there are lots of examples, dozens on the boards if not hundreds throhought all of Mac Rumors forums alone of why the new Mac Pro, while it is a sexy little beast of a machine, is not actually a good buy for them. We're talking about tonnes of other fields and reasons. you just are failing to accept them.

no, i'm not.. what i'm accepting, and what i feel others should accept, is that apple targets a niche set of people.. moreso than any of the other large computer manufacturers and they certainly aren't catering to tons of fields and reasons etc..

this really isn't too hard to see and if apple isn't building the computers you want then it should be viewed from a consumer's pov that they're not a company you should consider buying from.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
and if people would listen to what i'm saying instead of painting me into some sort of fanboy light or that i'm saying "apple is the best and they make something for everybody and they never make mistakes and if you can't use apple then you don't really need computers anyway and on and on and on"

i'm not saying that stuff at all.. in fact, most of my suggested solutions to people in the last few pages of this thread are to forget about apple and get the products which are more geared towards your specific needs and/or at a cost you're willing to swallow.. as in- i'm definitely not sitting around here shilling for apple.. i'm a problem solver by nature and i'm trying to help people solve their problems here by suggesting the simplest and/or cheapest routes.. but people seem to keep insisting the best solution to their problem is to sit around and moan&groan for apple specifically to make the product that they specifically want and i keep trying to point out how far fetched of a solution that truly is but it's not getting through to anybody.. and unfortunately for these people, they're just going to have to realize this the hard way..

I dont think you're coming accross as a fanboy of apples at all to be honest. Just as someone who's purposely sticking his finger in his ear about other peoples needs / wants.

"it does want I want it to, so screw the rest of you, go play elsewhere" is the vibe you are giving off.

Many of the people in here are saying these things, not out of some hate on for apple, but because they would love to give apple money for whatever reason. Either they want OSx, a sexy case, some decent support, or whatever numerous reasons.

All they're getting in return from Apple, (and you) is that tough. Either do it the Apple way or go elsewhere. When you compare this to the previous Mac Pro's you suddenly get a lot of mac Pro users who can no longer justify the replacement to the new one.

And so what happens if everyone but one niche group do go elsewhere? you get a lot of hackintoshes, or people just abandoning Apple entirely.

so you are right. we have all the right to just.. go elsewhere. And we will. cause Apple is giving zero choice in the matter. Either pony up and pay more for what you dont need, or take your ball and go home

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
except for the part about 1 single gpu in the nmp uses all the bandwidth(16lanes) that the haswell has to offer.. i.e.- the haswell can't run a single high end gpu unless you drop the gpu to 8lanes in order to free up bandwidth for things like harddrives and i/o etc.
There is very little difference between a GPU using 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes or 16 lanes. (16x PCIe2 = 8x PCIe3)
SLI works just fine with a Z87 part and you have plenty of connectivity options remaining:

D73L5rA.jpg

What you don't have, is a lot of lanes left for Thunderbolt.

The only reason the Mac Pro needs so many lanes is because there's no internal expansion, and Apple thinks users need six Thunderbolt 2 ports for some reason.

And Thunderbolt 2 ports are only 4x PCIe 2.0 - that's 2x PCIe 3.0 so you can still add more than enough Thunderbolt 2 ports than most users need to a Z87 design.

the simplest solution i can see to address all of your individual concerns is to realize "xmac" isn't even a computer.. xmac is apple allowing you to install osx on any pc of your choice..
People are mainly asking for a high-end desktop system that doesn't have a display built in. Not the ability to install OS X on a PC of your choice.

Apple has a low-end to mid-range desktop, which forces you to spend $1000 on a display, and then jumps to a $3000 workstation. And if your tasks do not use OpenCL, the $3000 workstation is slower than the iMac.

i understand you're not forward thinking enough to realize your needs have been catered to very nicely in their latest design.. and that we can sit here and argue for days about "today, jan8, is what's important".. and that there's no way i'll make you understand that maybe tomorrow is more important in the long run.. your problem isn't a hardware problem because apple now offers the best computer they've ever produced for you usage scenario.. your problem is a software issue in that your developers haven't yet unlocked all that power which will completely eliminate your need of "you’re going to need a cluster".. because you have a cluster inside the little nmp and they're called d700s..
You seem to be under the impression that all applications can benefit from OpenCL implementation, that it's easy to add to applications, and that Apple made the right choices with their hardware and pricing. There are a lot of tasks which won't be able to utilize the GPUs at all. Ever.

And why buy a $3000+ system for what might happen at some unknown point in the future?

If the applications I use ever add OpenCL then I might consider something which is focused more on OpenCL performance. But until then, I will buy hardware which runs my applications fast today, not something which is slow today but might be faster a year or two from now.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
And so what happens if everyone but one niche group do go elsewhere? you get a lot of hackintoshes, or people just abandoning Apple entirely.

well it works both ways.. people are going to leave and people are going to come in.. i imagine apple, from a financial pov, is banking on the fact that more people will come in than those that will leave.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
or C) i was being facetious as well as showing a semantics issue because when i hear 'high end' music production, ...

Which still doesn’t speak well regarding your position. If you have to resort to such things, you’ve lost.

read the post below yours and tell me with a straight face that that dude isnt' dodging questions and i should consider the stuff he's saying.. you gotta be careful online (and off) with blindly taking sides without truly considering the side you're jumping on.. because when you lump yourself into a "we vs. you" situation with someone who's obviously full of it, well you start looking like that too.

To me he sounds pretty darn rational, and blowing him off is making you look like a fool. He’s telling you that while the iMac can do many things for him, its not a good choice because it would be slower than similarly priced PCs. I’m not sure what you’re looking for from him. He’s telling you he wants hex-i7s (the enthusiast stuff still on LGA2011, which are the same as the Xeons outside memory support) and a single fast GPU that supports CUDA.

no, it's not hard..
likewise, is it hard to understand that every single one of you is asking for a different computer and the only thing they have in common is that it costs less than $2000..

Not really. Some might want the consumer LGA1150 socket, while others might still want workstations/enthusiast LGA2011. Just sticking with LGA2011 and Xeons, but in a “box-with-slots” would still meet nearly everyone in the xMac camp. It would be a generation behind Haswell desktop stuff, but has additional advantages in IO. You could put what ever GPU you want in it, and you could get either 4, 6 or 8 very fast cores with E5-1600v2s.

spin this however you like but if you'd step back, i think you'll see that i'm listening to/considering everybody's individual wants more than any of you..

Just no. You’re not.

and i'm trying to point out that there's a huge conundrum being presented in that there's no single additional computer apple can release which is going to solve any of this..

There is a single computer that would solve all most all of it though. It would basically be the HP z420, but come with OSX.

they need to release at least 5 more computers in order to address the issues.. i 100% believe they're not going to do that.

Exaggeration is not your friend. At most its 2. A “consumer” grade machine which will use LGA1150, or what ever the current desktop CPUs use, and can use full sized GPUs, and a “professional” grade machine that used LGA2011 and full sized GPUs.

Its already pretty much that easy, but yeah, having that officially supported would also solve the problem some have.

because most of the concerns here couldn't even be solved by a company like dell.. it would take all of the companies' offerings (hp, dell, acer, etc.) and the ability to install osx on any of them to quiet the lot of you..
but again, i 100% believe apple isn't going to do this either but it is the simplest solution.
do you understand what i'm getting at?

No, and its not because of lack of trying or comprehension, its because you’re plan wrong and it makes no sense. What people are talking about is AT MOST, 2 computers.

oh.. you mean like how you're listening to me? sure.. no problem :/

The problem isn’t me not listening, its you making exactly ZERO sense. You make inflated claims and ad hominems to support your position (ie. calling people liars).

that's what you want to believe i'm saying..

Then its your job to make me see what you actually want to get across. I have no dog in this fight. I’m just trying to make you understand the position Apple has put some users in with their hardware choices.

yeah.. you're right.. 2 people out of probably 1000 people i've been having this conversation with..
in a way, it could be interpreted that you're telling me to believe everything i read on the internet.. i'll pass.

Sure, its 2/1000... more silly exaggerations. Oh and I’m telling you to believe “everything” on the internet... yeah, that’s what I said. More stupid exaggerations and straw men.

no.. not bipolar..
drop the huffypuffy and you might see what i'm saying.. i think i'm pretty damn consistent in what i say but you need to realize there are 10 or so topics going on here and you can't simply cross wires in the way it appears you're doing.

OK, reset. Say what you want as plainly and clearly as you can. And I’m happy to go from there.

so you need a xeon with zilch gpu.. pretty much the same computer milo would like (minus the bit about you actually needing enormous processing power with the cluster) except you two might still bump heads as he probably doesn't need more than 32GB ram so he probably doesn't need the xeon.. (though the faster ram may benefit).. is this correct?

Yep.

the thing with your individual case is that i really do think apple has completely addressed your usage scenario with the nmp.. your scenario sounds like a prime use case for gpgpu software.. i get it that your current software can't utilize the dual gpu but is that apple's fault or responsibility? or is it your software developer’s?

Haha, right its not Apple’s fault that what I do can’t uses GPGPU. Maybe its the nature of the task isn’t up to the hardware of GPUs yet? Notice how I need a lot of RAM per process? You can try to code things to use less RAM, but sometimes it just is what it is and you need a lot of it. How much RAM is on the GPU? Maybe 6GBs, to be shared by how many working cores? 1000-ish? Do you see the problem? That means software developers need to design their code to uses many orders of magnitude less RAM per process. Even light tasks for me often need ~1-2GB of RAM per core. A ten fold improvement in that would still mean GPUs with 100GBs of RAM. There are other more complex reasons the code doesn’t port over to GPUs very well, much of it has to do with hardware differences between each GPU, differing instruction set and all that between not just CPU to GPU but one GPU to another, its a long list, but I’ll let you read up on that yourself.

So, what’s more logical, to design a computer expecting great leaps in software or to just design a computer for what current software needs? This is one of your main problems in comprehension. You just don’t have a strong grasp of computing or software development. There are serious physical limitations that have slowed the adoption of GPGPU. Its easy to just see that I sometimes need hundreds of cores in a cluster and think GPGPUs can give you that. But A) they aren’t as fast core for core and B) the RAM and IO is limiting compared to something like using openMPI across 20 nodes with 12 cores each.

when you see apple's sales literature "science & technology" which is also the part when they bring up 7tflops power.. do you not understand that they're talking specifically to you? or are they just lying?

They aren’t lying. They are just not really talking to me.

i understand you're not forward thinking enough to realize your needs have been catered to very nicely in their latest design..

WHAT..? Right, I’m not “forward thinking enough”.... Because my software can’t cram 1000 processes into 6GBs of RAM, its because I’m not forward thinking enough..... There are a lot of very smart people working in Bioinformatics making code to get jobs done as fast as possible, but they just haven’t found GPGPU to fit for a lot of reasons. Just google "GPGPU Bioinformatics” or similar things and take a look around for a while. There are serious physical constraints about the nature GPUs vs CPUs that will not be overcome in the near future. But Ok, its my fault. I need to “forward think” more.... you’re ignorant. Plain and simple. And don’t take that as an insult. We’re all ignorant of a great many more things than we’re educated on. Some of us are just better at recognizing what we don’t know.

and that we can sit here and argue for days about "today, jan8, is what's important".. and that there's no way i'll make you understand that maybe tomorrow is more important in the long run.. your problem isn't a hardware problem because apple now offers the best computer they've ever produced for you usage scenario..

Just stop. That’s not at all true. If you were actually listening and trying to educate yourself you’d understand that by now.

your problem is a software issue in that your developers haven't yet unlocked all that power which will completely eliminate your need of "you’re going to need a cluster".. because you have a cluster inside the little nmp and they're called d700s..

Just stop. Again. A pair of d700s are not a cluster. No way, no how. Don’t believe that marketing BS. It might work great for some. But a cluster it is not.

do what you gotta do for today.. you'll be back though.. if you like osx and you continue to do the type of experiments you're currently running, there's no way you won't be back to macs in a couple of years.

I’m not going to completely leave mac. I love my MBP and I’d buy another one. I just won’t buy a mac desktop right now. And until gross shifts in software and technology make GPGPU a possibility for bioinformatics, I won’t be buying a MP.

i'd just say don't go overboard on your spending with your linux/windows box and to view it as a stop gap purchase.

Hardly. I already bought my machine (ok my employer bought for me) almost exactly a year ago now. I don’t expect GPGPU to take off in bioinformatics for the foreseeable future, so no less than 2 years. Which would make my computer 3 years old or more. At that point its certainly not a “stop-gap”. And even after that, its likely CPUs will still rule the day in bioinformatics.

But I’m glad you can tell me so much about my field and my needs. I guess I should listen to you instead of believe what I see with my own eyes, running my own software, on my own machine, and those 1000s of people in my field that have direct and indirect contact with and all that.....I guess we’re all not forward thinking enough to know that Apple’s nMP is the perfect machine for us..... I’m so glad I listened to you....

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
People are mainly asking for a high-end desktop system that doesn't have a display built in. Not the ability to install OS X on a PC of your choice.

right.. but sometimes (most of the time) the true simplest solution to someone's given problem isnt the one people are specifically asking for.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
well it works both ways.. people are going to leave and people are going to come in.. i imagine apple, from a financial pov, is banking on the fact that more people will come in than those that will leave.

But what happens to all the previous mac pro users who aren't media professionals in this new world?

I just think, And only time will prove me right or wrong, that they made a very large tactical mistake in that thinking. That they risk alienating a large chunk of their core users who will see absolutely no performance gains from the GPUs.

There are many who will buy this new machine because of it's form over it's function. There are many of those who might just not care at all.

But when you start at $3k, the typical buyer isn't going to look at the Pro first. Which means only those who are purposely looking for the "pro" level is going to want it.

This is just my speculation, but I think they are guessing wrong with the direction they took with this nMP and the starting point. My prediction is in 2 years you will see 1 GPU options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.