Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
George Lucas(Disney) may sue Apple for copyright infringement even though it's upside down.:D

ifixit_macpro4-800x538.jpg

----------

and we've hit a brick wall.. it's time for a change.. if software devs want to give their customers great increases in performances at a cost they can afford then they're going to need to switch up the mindset and programming techniques and it's not as if there's some untapped algorithm which is going to unleash this kind of leap under the current cpu based train of thought.

It's sad to say but 90% of SW developers these days write inefficient code because they have the mind set that they have unlimited CPU and memory usage.

SW developers could learn a lot if they wrote firmware for HW that requires great efficiency, accuracy and speed with limited HW resources.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's sad to say but 90% of SW developers these days write inefficient code because they have the mind set that they have unlimited CPU and memory usage.

SW developers could learn a lot if they wrote firmware for HW that requires great efficiency, accuracy and speed with limited HW resources.

And I'd include Apple in that group, both their apps and especially their OS. I'd kill for an OSX 10.10 that ran faster on the same hardware and used less memory, same goes for iOS. That sort of thing is rare but it does happen sometimes.

----------

And another developer chiming in on the issue of audio on OpenCL, posted from another thread.

Audio/OpenCL developer here…

You're probably not going to get any benefit from GPUs in audio processing any time soon. Most audio stuff that matters is done in realtime with tiny buffer chunks being processed at any given time for low latency.

OpenCL does not really fit in with the realtime audio processing model, because you must ship data over to the GPU's VRAM for processing, and ship it back to get your results. Those "shipments" are pretty slow, and aren't useful for this purpose.

Before you go and point to video effects as an example of "realtime OpenCL use", you're ignoring the fact that the image data is already on the card, so the "shipments" I mention above are eliminated.

Frankly if someone's buying a Mac Pro solely for audio use, I'd advise that you stick with the d300s and put that extra cash towards more RAM and external storage.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
So he said 32 is good, ideally at least 64GB. i7 can do 64GB. You read that as he needs more than 64 and thus needs xeon? And you keep saying I'm not reading the thread?

Wally mentions 1650v2. There is an i7 available with the same specs about the same price. Somehow if apple shipped an xMac with i7-4930K at a fair price I doubt he'd consider "not a xeon" to be a deal breaker. But he can clarify for himself.

Yes, the i7-49xx would be just fine in this hypothetical purchasing choice (ie. the one where I was thrust into the computer purchasing market today). Also, 64GB of RAM would probably cut it. I like having 128GB in my current computer, but its not that frequently that my usage goes over 64GB, so I probably wouldn't miss the 128.

Not really that different, you're exaggerating because you need to to try and make your point. You can never make 100% of people happy but there's a sweet spot that would please a hell of a lot of the folks wanting an xMac.

This is the point I keep trying to tell Flat Five. While there are several types of ideal xMac ideas floating around, really one computer would be flexible enough to fit the vast majority of them.

Hey, Flat Five. Can you please list in detail the specification of all this different xMacs you think people want? And maybe link to a few people actually saying that?

----------

you need to put this xmac thing into perspective..
this is a mac centric forum with nearly a million members.

far less than 1% of people here are asking for an xmac.

Be honest, you just pulled that from butt hole. I don't doubt the market for an xMac is limited, but you have exactly zero evidence to show what percent of Macrumors members would buy an xMac (as most people would define it) given the chance.

so you're suggesting apple build a new computer to please an overwhelming majority of 1%.. so maybe .8% of people will be satisfied with this wonderful new xmac.

NO. You fool. I never said Apple SHOULD build it. I'm telling you what MOST people want in an xMac and that it could be covered in ONE computer.

Whether or not I think Apple should build this thing is an entirely different point and something I haven't been talking about AT ALL.

i know it sounds so smart to you but step out of your bubble and look at it from afar.

You can't even keep the topic straight, and you're telling me to look at it from a far. Please.... you need to move up to the front row and actually pay attention first.

ruselok

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
I
We know that the D700 has more in common with W7000 performance than the W9000 cards, so they're very likely being underclocked.

Sorry, I might missed, but where this is coming from? Any tests/benchmarks between D700 and W7000/W9000?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.