Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
angelneo said:
My service provider is providing a free ibook + wireless mouse for their new 10mbps plan! I think I am going to sign up for that soon. It's about USD50 per month for that plan and their 25mpbs is about USD75 per month.
WTF! You sign up to the local ISP's plan here the max. you'll get is 2Mb @ US$155/month with a set up fee of US$90 and a USB modem for US$70.....oh and no mouse or iBook!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
mpw said:
WTF! You sign up to the local ISP's plan here the max. you'll get is 2Mb @ US$155/month with a set up fee of US$90 and a USB modem for US$70.....oh and no mouse or iBook!
I think the reason why it is getting inexpensive for my country is mainly because of the fierce competition here and the fact that the country I'm living in is just a dot on the map.

See, consumers are always the winner when there's competition.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
angelneo said:
I think the reason why it is getting inexpensive for my country is mainly because of the fierce competition here and the fact that the country I'm living in is just a dot on the map.

See, consumers are always the winner when there's competition.

I agree it's down to competition. Our local TelCo has a monopoly and as as result the infrastucture is crap, probably the worst in Europe. The only glimmer of hope is that Cable & Wireless were awarded a license to operate but 18months down the line still don't show any interest in rolling out any service.
As for being a dot on the map your country's about five or six times the size of ours.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
The lost art of merchant haggling...

whooleytoo said:
It really annoys me when service providers give such benefits to new users but pass nothing onto their existing customers.

Well, truth is, most companies are not going to go out of their way to improve their prices for existing customers once the 'introductory period' price scheme has worn off and they have you in the grip of not wanting to give up their amazingly better than dialup services. BUT THE SQUEEKY WHEEL ALMOST ALWAYS GETS THE OIL! I'm amazed sometimes how few people understand how to properly "work" corporate customer service personel.

Lowering your ISP bill is simple as lowering your credit-card APR. It's simply an adaptation of my favorite credit-card game "Customer Service Tea-party Your Way to a Lower APR".. Basically, the premise of the game is simple. All you have to do is complain prices (like APR) are too high with the company you are talking to, then mention the competition (with the definite implied threat to switch providers).. then once you've got that service agent sweating the prospect of getting a negative lost-customer mark for the day on their marketing tally sheet, just kick back, relax, and watch the magic show begin. It's sometims amazing to see what magic rabits they pull out of their hat that you didn't know about before..

And I quote:
(simulated conversation with Adelphia cable)..

Customer says to Adelphia rep,"Verizon DSL customers are getting their service for almost half what I pay every month! These monthly bills are just too high for me. Can't you guys do any better than the icky ol' phone company?"

The agent offers something mediocre. Better than what you have currently, but you just know there is yet another package. If they're holding out, then simply turn up the heat on them....

Customer says to Adelphia rep,"Yeah, that's OK, but I'm sure you guys have a better pricing tier. How about the customer-retention package?"

That last one's a bit disarming because it's almost funny, but the point is made clearly, and the agent then knows this is their last chance not to lose your patronage and will give you their best priced plan at this point more than likely.

It really does pay to haggle and put them on the hot seat.. They almost always instantly cave when you mention the competition.. If they don't end up giving you the new customer rate (or better), then actually terminate the service, then reorder it under the new price the following day.. easy, simple..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.