Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
so looks like you have to be sign to iMassage in order to have text massage Forwarding :mad: Why ? I don't like iMassage it means if my friends are out of mobile data they will not get my Massage instantly SMS to my is much more relailable

Because it uses iMessage to actually transfer the message from your computer to your phone so that it can be sent as an SMS. Same goes for the other direction as well, SMS message gets converted to an iMessage to be sent to your computer.

cosminsel

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Canada
Mine shows the same thing, my MBP is listed twice (with the same name). I got it to work by switching on the first one, but it still annoys me that it's listed a second time.

Same problem here. Listing my macbookpro twice. I assume since I did a clean install it still thinks the Yosemite beta is installed, I don't know...

Having the same issue here. Lists my iMac once and my Macbook Air twice. I did get SMS Forwarding to work though.

Same for me. Switched on the first one. Most likely related to have Yosemite installed once and then doing a clean install.

Another user pointed out that these "ghost devices" will disappear from that list if you change your Apple ID password. Worked for me. Be warned that you won't be able to change back to your original password though.

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Anyone else not getting the notification banners or sounds on iMessage their mac since they switched on the text message relay. I've tried restarting the computer, but still no luck. Was working fine pre-SMS relay.

palmerc

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Steps to correct

Wasn't working and I had to Toggle on/off BOTH iMessage and FaceTime. I actually noticed that my phone number was not available in either beforehand, it was grayed out and not checked, but afterwards it was blue and checked. Then I was presented with the option for Text Message Forwarding under Messages and the one-time code dialog appeared in Messages on the Macbook.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
So basically it doesnt work like imessage where you can use wifi only to send and receive text messages. SMS relay only works if you have a cell phone signal.

I thought it was going to work like imessage.

oh well.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 12.29.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 12.29.36 PM.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 156

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Here ya go:

I definitely don't have that setting. Goes right from "iMessage" to "send read receipts". Do I have to be at home where it can sense my other device (my iPad)? I'm at work with just my iPhone. Maybe when I upgrade my iPad to 8.1 it will show up?

I definitely want this -- as sometimes I get text message on phone only, but I have my iPad on me (phone is in other room).

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
So basically it doesnt work like imessage where you can use wifi only to send and receive text messages. SMS relay only works if you have a cell phone signal.

oh well.

Yes, it relays the SMS message from your iPhone to other devices...on your mac, it shows up in iMessages and looks like iMessages, but those SMS messages are actually being forwarded from your iPhone.

----------

I definitely don't have that setting. Goes right from "iMessage" to "send read receipts". Do I have to be at home where it can sense my other device (my iPad)? I'm at work with just my iPhone. Maybe when I upgrade my iPad to 8.1 it will show up?

YES! It needs to see the other device on the same wifi! Solved! :D

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK

oh well.

Well, yes. You'd need your cell provider to support WiFi calling to receive SMS when not in a signal area.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011

When you get home, and it sees the iPad on the same wifi, that setting will appear on your iPhone.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Well, yes. You'd need your cell provider to support WiFi calling to receive SMS when not in a signal area.

No i mean like text people who dont have imessage from my mac when my phone is in airplane mode.

I am out of the country and keep my US line on airplane mode. I tired to text my android friends from my mbpr and it didnt work.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
iMessage on my Mac cant start an SMS conversation. It will always given an error saying that number is not registered with iMessage. If I start an SMS from my phone, it works fine...

Why cant i start an SMS conversation from iMessage on my mac?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No i mean like text people who dont have imessage from my mac when my phone is in airplane mode.

I am out of the country and keep my US line on airplane mode. I tired to text my android friends from my mbpr and it didnt work.

Of course not, because you mac isnt sending any smses, its just giving commands to the iphone from where it actually gets sent.

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
iMessage on my Mac cant start an SMS conversation. It will always given an error saying that number is not registered with iMessage. If I start an SMS from my phone, it works fine...

Why cant i start an SMS conversation from iMessage on my mac?

Strange. That works for me. Sounds like a bug... :-(

Update: It worked before, but now I'm getting the same message as you!! Buggy....

Update: To get this to work, I need to have my icloud email address activated for iMessage in my phone - without it the SMS relay doesn't work!! buggy, buggy......

Last edited:

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio

Yes you need cell service to send a sms.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Of course not, because you mac isnt sending any smses, its just giving commands to the iphone from where it actually gets sent.

lol EXACTLY my dumba$$ thought that the new feature would use wifi hahahaha

great update though.

Just downloaded public Yosemite and got rid of the BETA and did iOS8.1 same time.....man Apple got my vote of confidence back. That first ios 8 was freaking me out with my plus and the bugs i had.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
iPhone Cellular Call forwarding now not working

Gosh, I got the Text Message Forwarding to work using tips from this thread, but now there is somehow a bug from this that turns off iPhone Cellular Calling on my iPhone and won't let me turn it back on because it says iCloud and FaceTime need to be using the same Apple ID, which they are....ugh...

Anybody else having this issue after upgrading to Text Message Forwarding?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Yes you need cell service to send a sms.

And this is why I continue to use Google Voice. It just always works on every operating system including iOS and Linux and has for years and years and it's free. Nothing else even comes close.

Hell it even works on my 2009 windows mobile phone. Still.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Gosh, I got the Text Message Forwarding to work using tips from this thread, but now there is somehow a bug from this that turns off iPhone Cellular Calling on my iPhone and won't let me turn it back on because it says iCloud and FaceTime need to be using the same Apple ID, which they are....ugh...

Anybody else having this issue after upgrading to Text Message Forwarding?

I actually just found the solution to the problem using the same solution for the Text message forwarding....select an email address and then you can turn it back on....go figure.

Edit: Hmmmm, it appears that in this case, unlike the text message forwarding issue, you cannot then deselect the email address once iPhone Cellular Calling is turned back on because the iPhone Cellular Calls setting will turn off again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.