Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
While the new Finder in Yosemite is amazing, anyone else feel like the icon lost a bit of its nostalgic appeal?

116mcur.jpg
vs.
e16tcl.jpg

Personally I like the flat makeover of our old buddy, but I feel the composition could use work with respect to position of the eyes and the curve of the smile. Calling all design enthusiasts to weigh in now!

2m5gwnt.gif

(EDIT: Also why do some screenshots depict different Finder icons?
Left: Apple website screenshots. Right: User screenshots)
:confused:
1581nac.png
34pffpd.png

Last edited:

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
I actually prefer the one on Apple's website. For some reason, the new one feels squished or something. Like the aspect ratio is off.

Yosemite though for me is so slow. Even simple tasks like typing it has to catch up... 8GB ram and an SSD too...

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
I like the user screenshot one better. The Apple site one looks stretched to me.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
While the new Finder in Yosemite is amazing, anyone else feel like the icon lost a bit of its nostalgic appeal?

Imagevs.Image

Personally I like the flat makeover of our old buddy, but I feel the composition could use work with respect to position of the eyes and the curve of the smile. Calling all design enthusiasts to weigh in now!

(EDIT: Also why do some screenshots depict different Finder icons?
Left: Apple website screenshots. Right: User screenshots)
:confused:
Image Image

In Yosemite the transparency changes with the desktop wallpaper.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I criticize Apple's design decisions all the time and I think the new Finder icon looks really good. I like it because it has slight depth (thankfully) and the blue is not harsh.

People do keep mentioning their dislike for it though (here and in other forums)

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I never realized this before but staring at these icons just made me realize it looks like two faces. The right light blue one leaning in to kiss the left. :eek: Now I can't unsee it!!

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I never realized this before but staring at these icons just made me realize it looks like two faces. The right light blue one leaning in to kiss the left. :eek: Now I can't unsee it!!

Are you kidding? I saw that from the first glance ever and until now I always thought the two kissing faces were the right way to look at it. :D

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

I've always seen the 2 faces since I was a little kid but I never saw them kissing. Still don't really, looks more like the lighter one is whispering to the darker one.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I really like the new.

The old one is great, but i can't believe how long it had the extending the top and bottom. It made it look very old compared to everything else.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I always interpreted it to be a smiling computer monitor with a smiling user staring into it.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner! I can't believe the two faces weren't obvious to everyone. See the pointy nose of the user? I have always seen two different faces! The computer and the user. Inspired by Picasso.

With the two faces in mind, anyone else think the Yosemite Finder icon would look better if they moved the eyes of the user and computer upward slightly, so the nose of the user is better proportioned, like the original?

Am I making sense? Maybe I'll make a mockup. Please somebody tell me I'm not crazy. :p

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner! I can't believe the two faces weren't obvious to everyone. See the pointy nose of the user? I have always seen two different faces! The computer and the user. Inspired by Picasso.

With the two faces in mind, anyone else think the Yosemite Finder icon would look better if they moved the eyes of the user and computer upward slightly, so the nose of the user is better proportioned, like the original?

Am I making sense? Maybe I'll make a mockup. Please somebody tell me I'm not crazy. :p

I can see the user with the nose, but the computer is the left side with an indent in it? I don't see it. You're crazy.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I can see the user with the nose, but the computer is the left side with an indent in it? I don't see it. You're crazy.

The user's face overlaps the computer monitor, as if you're looking at the monitor from behind the user and his head is in the way over half of it. It's impressionist as it's inspired by Picasso, so obviously it's not "realistic" looking.

Here's some more in-depth background info on it: http://gizmodo.com/5727913/the-love-affair-between-steve-jobs-and-pablo-picasso

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
The user's face overlaps the computer monitor, as if you're looking at the monitor from behind the user and his head is in the way over half of it. It's impressionist as it's inspired by Picasso, so obviously it's not "realistic" looking.

Here's some more in-depth background info on it: http://gizmodo.com/5727913/the-love-affair-between-steve-jobs-and-pablo-picasso

Thanks for sharing! Wow, looks like a lot of users are still artistically challenged. :eek: Time to bust out Photoshop.

24g9820.png

2unxzqr.png

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Thanks for sharing! Wow, looks like a lot of users are still artistically challenged. :eek: Time to bust out Photoshop.

I always knew I loved Apple for a reason. This is very clever (More clever than Windows anyways).

I've always loved the Finder icon.

You know...now I really want a "Mac OS" Classic T-shirt...one that has the boot screen of Mac OS across the blue background of Mac OS 8...I think I'm going to get right on that...

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Can someone confirm is you’re still able to change finder and thrash can icons via the resource folders?

swindlenz

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
One icon?

Who could care. Who, honestly, could care that this has been changed, a little?

Hey, lets just not ever develop anything ever again and instead just use the first design of anything we ever do forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.