Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
Can someone confirm is you’re still able to change finder and thrash can icons via the resource folders?

This had me go all nostalgic for the days when you could use ResEdit to make System 7 look like Mac OS 8!

----------

Also, makes me appreciate Apple design cleverness. Call me a fanboy if you like but I always geek out on the Mac OS releases. So far, Yosemite looks fantastic!

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
In my opinion, I think it looks wonderful.

Change is natural, people. Stop trying to make excuses to bash the flat look of iOS 7 already. It seriously makes you guys sound like babies.

The only real issue for me is the "nose" line should be slightly thicker.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Personally I think it's time to retire the smily Finder icon.

BLASPHEMY! You shall incur the wrath of Steve Jobs and a million fanboys, as well as the power of a million suns!!! (and 64 bit desktop class architecture). He shall rise from his grave and hit thee with pings from the ever-remembering cloud! AND YOU WILL BE APPLE-JUICED!

Hey, don't say we didn't warn you :D

*with respects to Steve Jobs, he was a good man. Just poking a little fun here ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not really liking the newer one, the smile is too pronounced. Maybe I'm too hold school, but I do like the older one. The newer one in Yosemite just doesn't do it for me.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
There's not really anything left of Apple tradition, so why should it stay? THere are much more interesting and much more old school icons to use.

Well you're right about the fact that almost everything has changed. But to me that Finder icon still is the symbol of Macintosh in general, and it would surprise me if I would be the only one who thinks that way.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
I compiled All the icon variants I know of for comparison. I opted to use the icon from Apple's website rather than the one from the DP.

8WRcXIa.png

I prefer the one from Apple's website over the one that shipped in the Yosemite DP1 for four reasons:
  1. Its less square
  2. It has the darker separater between the face halves
  3. There isn't so much of a gap between the eyes and the top of the head
  4. The smile isn't so exaggerated

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I compiled All the icon variants I know of for comparison. I opted to use the icon from Apple's website rather than the one from the DP.

I prefer the one from Apple's website over the one that shipped in the Yosemite DP1 for four reasons:
  1. Its less square
  2. It has the darker separater between the face halves
  3. There isn't so much of a gap between the eyes and the top of the head
  4. The smile isn't so exaggerated

I agree. I think the DP1 version looks tacky and just... wrong. The website version looks much more like what the Finder icon is supposed to look like, only in a different color hue. I seriously hope Apple will decide to keep the website version, not the DP1 version. I have a bad feeling they'll decide the DP1 version is the one to keep, but I hope to be proven wrong!

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
The first time I saw the new Finder icon, I thought it looked kind of strange. After having used the 10.10 Developer Preview for a while now, I really like the new Finder icon and I think it fits in well with the other redesigned icons. The old one looks, well, old now.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Personally I think it's time to retire the smily Finder icon.

Then the Mac will be sad. At which point you will hear an error sound of tears and you can't get your Mac done.

If your Mac isn't showing a smile, then it must be sad. If it is sad it will bomb. If it bombs you can't get your work done. If you can't get your work done, you get fired. If you get fired you lose everything. If you lose everything, you end up on a city street in Miami with no recollection of what happened.

The general rule of thumb is to let the Finder smile as much as it wants.

BLASPHEMY! You shall incur the wrath of Steve Jobs and a million fanboys, as well as the power of a million suns!!! (and 64 bit desktop class architecture). He shall rise from his grave and hit thee with pings from the ever-remembering cloud! AND YOU WILL BE APPLE-JUICED!

Hey, don't say we didn't warn you :D

*with respects to Steve Jobs, he was a good man. Just poking a little fun here ;)

Steve Jobs really did love that Finder icon. I love seeing the little smiling face. Though, every time I see someones screen shots I always think it smiles more on their computer, but that is just me. I could of sworn I saw a tear in the Finder's eye on October 5, 2011.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
i just noticed that When you install Yosemite on the "Send information from another mac" section the apple.com/osx/preview finder icon is there!!

iGrouch

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
Off Ramp M50
Feedback!!!

I am on the side of keeping the old finder icon as it stands graphically, perhaps with the new saturation to give some change of progressing it to fit with the new look.

As somebody mentioned, the dividing line makes that icon distinctive. It is a primary element to the Finder icon. Its calligraphic nature ties in with the importance of the graphic line and the importance of the graphic quality of calligraphy and text in the Mac experience.

It is represents the defining difference between Mac and Windows; the attention to detail compared to the disregard for text and its generally bad rendering on Windows.

There is also the clever symbolism of the icon with many interpretations, its connection to Cubism.

The current icon doesn't consider these historical links and the history and tradition of the Mac, an iconic entity in itself. Instead the new Finder icon is sliding into the domain of a common UI bauble (think Android). The current version retains the balance of fun and gravitas at the same time.

People should feedback their opinions to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ (Use the current Mavericks channel under products)

And if you are on the developer program, you should have other channels to contact Apple.

----------

I am on the side of keeping the old finder icon as it stands graphically, perhaps with the new saturation to give some change of progressing it to fit with the new look.

As somebody mentioned, the dividing line makes that icon distinctive. It is a primary element to the Finder icon. Its calligraphic nature ties in with the importance of the graphic line and the importance of the graphic quality of calligraphy and text in the Mac experience.

It is represents the defining difference between Mac and Windows; the attention to detail compared to the disregard for text and its generally bad rendering on Windows.

There is also the clever symbolism of the icon with many interpretations, its connection to Cubism.

The current icon doesn't consider these historical links and the history and tradition of the Mac, an iconic entity in itself. Instead the new Finder icon is sliding into the domain of a common UI bauble (think Android). The current version retains the balance of fun and gravitas at the same time.

People should feedback their opinions to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ (Use the current Mavericks channel under products)

And if you are on the developer program, you should have other channels to contact Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.