Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
i have read a few pages, hasnt it occured to anyone that its A MOD?!

Who? Tallest Skil? He's not a mod, just on here all the time. And, why would that matter? He's not the person who posted the video and picture of the "new Mac mini," that was a newb.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Read through this interesting thread.

The video looks real. And I like the concept.

However, my guess is that this was a prototype or modification and not what will be released.

Gut feeling is that the new Mac Mini will be built like the MB/MBP construction. It will be all aluminum and thinner than the old version.

The reason for my gut feeling is the time lag. We have been waiting long time. This would suggest a much different Mac Mini to include a new form factor and design.

Anyhow, thanks Monthy for sharing.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
I find it really odd, that apple discontinued the 20" cinema display last week and now there are popping up new mini pictures showing the 20" cinema display with it.

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
Read through this interesting thread.

The video looks real. And I like the concept.

However, my guess is that this was a prototype or modification and not what will be released.

Gut feeling is that the new Mac Mini will be built like the MB/MBP construction. It will be all aluminum and thinner than the old version.

I'm not so sure the mini would be uni-body design as per the macbooks, the mini would need to be carved from a quite thick chunk of alu creating a whole lot of excess metal compared the laptops.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Anyhow, thanks Monthy for sharing.

Sharing? That's not what I call sharing...that's teasing...
Was it so hard to turn the damn thing on? Was it so hard to turn it 360° upside down, etc? Was it so hard to take 20 shots under every angle?
I (and many other people here) would have done that.....or wouldn't share anything at all....because:
- afraid of Apple legals -----------> show nothing
- not afraid of Apple legals ---------> show most possible! What's the matter? Is there one year of jail for each pic? Can his position get worse if he turns the damn thing on?

So this is NOT about SHARING....at all.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
or lets say I do not have it at all, I just got these pictures somewhere. And if all of you are asking to plug it in, I am not doing it as I cannot. Sorry guys....

If you don't actually own it, what I said in my previous post applies to the source of that pictures. It's not sharing.

Chortos-2

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Rīga, Latvia
Stolen property is stolen property even if you bought it legally
You didn't buy it "legally" if it was stolen. :rolleyes:
Well you know, here in Latvia (and I believe in at least most of the EU, someone correct me please), if you buy something that was stolen without knowing that, you are not any culprit. Moreover, you do not even have to return the thing back to its original owner! You are considered a ‘fair buyer’ or something along these lines, and the only person breaking the law is the one who actually stole it.

Keeping mini-DVI, AND mini-DP on a consumer product? If they wanted 2, why not just 2 mini-DP's?

Firewire 800 on a $599 machine when it isn't on the $1600 MacBook.

5 USB ports?! Apple goes for minimalism. Granted, some people need 5 USB ports, but Apple is all about simplifying their products.
As far as I recall, these specs have been rumoured for quite a long time already. :confused:

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Well you know, here in Latvia (and I believe in at least most of the EU, someone correct me please), if you buy something that was stolen, you are not any culprit. Moreover, you do not even have to return the thing back to its original owner! You are considered a ‘fair buyer’ or something along these lines, and the only person breaking the law is the one who actually stole it.

Well, strange strange laws you got there in Latvia....

In Italy (that is in EU as well) if you buy stolen things you are culprit of RICETTAZIONE (=buying stuff derived from a crime) and you get "2 to 8 years in jail, and 516 € to 10329 € of fine".

And you cannot say "Oh, sorry, I didn't imagine it was stolen or smuggled or counterfeit", because in Italy if you buy something that is CLEARLY (ridicolously low price, etc.) stolen or counterfeit, you are doing an INCAUTO ACQUISTO (=unwary buying), another crime. (punished with 10 euros of fine to 6 months of jail).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well, strange strange laws you got there in Latvia....

In Italy (that is in EU as well) if you buy stolen things you are culprit of RICETTAZIONE (=buying stuff derived from a crime) and you get "2 to 8 years in jail, and 516 € to 10329 € of fine".

And you cannot say "Oh, sorry, I didn't imagine it was stolen or smuggled or counterfeit", because in Italy if you buy something that is CLEARLY stolen or counterfeit, you are doing an INCAUTO ACQUISTO (=unwary buying), another crime. (punished with 10 euros of fine to 6 month of jail).

Same thing here in Finland. If you buy stolen things and you know that they are stolen you go to jail, but if you didn't know (and you can prove it) you have to return it to owner (and no pays or jail (?)) but the thief always get punished

Chortos-2

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Rīga, Latvia
See—that’s why I asked somebody to correct me. :D And now I think that probably the law really is like that only if you do not know the thing was stolen… I’ve got to look it up, but that would be logical, wouldn’t it?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'm not so sure the mini would be uni-body design as per the macbooks, the mini would need to be carved from a quite thick chunk of alu creating a whole lot of excess metal compared the laptops.
Gut feeling is that the new Mac Mini will be a lot thinner so it would be feasible to build it the same way as the MB/MBP.

Note, I do agree with you if the new Mac Mini were the same thickness as the current model.

Sharing? That's not what I call sharing...that's teasing...
I see your point.

To me he was sharing what he has. Of course we all want to know more, so I get your teasing point.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
but that would be logical, wouldn’t it?

If you didn't have a clue, of course you aren't blamed for anything.

If you knew, you are culprit of "ricettazione".

If you didn't know, but the price is ridicolously low (or the item isn't even on the market, like in this case!), you can be blamed and are culprit of "incautious buying".

That's how it works here in Italy and it seems pretty logical. Maybe it works the same way in Latvia...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
or lets say I do not have it at all, I just got these pictures somewhere. And if all of you are asking to plug it in, I am not doing it as I cannot. Sorry guys....

Do you not have the correct cabling to hook it up to a display? Or is this for your own safety? tbh, if it's either I can understand... You've already provided us with more than enough evidence, thanks :)

Beerfloat

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
True or not, these specs are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I've been frustrated for a while with the gaps that Apple has had in their product range. I don't want another laptop, and I wouldn't ever consider buying an all in one form factor machine like an iMac, so there's literally nothing worth buying out there currently (Current mini has Intel graphics and a really lame CPU, no thanks). This little box which runs OSX and can drive my 2 flatscreens on a much more useful Nvidia chip is exactly the ticket.

Oh and mblast.exe, chill out man. And btw, BMWs are fugly. Get a real Mercedes for chrissake.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
- not afraid of Apple legals ---------> show most possible! What's the matter? Is there one year of jail for each pic? Can his position get worse if he turns the damn thing on?

So this is NOT about SHARING....at all.
Hilarious! :D

As far as I recall, these specs have been rumoured for quite a long time already. :confused:
Basically yes. And monthy's posted specs are quite reasonable and probably similar to what many others were thinking.

That being said, I'm leaning towards real.

C

champ01

I think the video and picture are true so please guys stop crying so much that its fake and blabla..nadajajada..boekeboe! when its clearly not
It could be a working mini but not the end product so connecting it won't say anything ;)

The best fake picture which I personally like the most is the one below
(accept it should have firewire of course)

But....looking at the the picture and then thinking you could buy the basic model without superdrive (which could be a good business for itunes)
for a very low price.. anybody get what i'm trying to say?

It looks perfect with all the other apple products :apple:
And if honest I could live without the firewire on the mini
The macbook is a different story that one needs firewire to be a great successor for everybody

Now if this is the one coming out I"ll be all over it any so would you hehe :D

macminiconcept.jpg

bigger picture http://cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/3121325291_b03294936e_o.jpg

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Again I worked for Apple for years. They are not only smart but wise in protecting there equipment. They know who had that potential prototype and they will track that person down, and prosecute everyone who breathed on that thing. They might even sue you for seeing it :apple: and they should.

Bingo! Somebody who is using more than .025% of there brain.

I wasn't going to call you out until I saw the second misuse of the word "their". I believe you would have better grammar if you worked for Apple. The Apple store is a retail job.

It's real; everyone get over it.

Oh yeah, and please turn it on lol

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I would appreciate if you remove my nick from your site, and I would appreciate if no one is using my nick on their sites. Thanks
I'm not exactly sure what "my nick" means but .....monthy the pics n video are all over the web so I doubt anyone is going to take it down unless Apple legal get on the case of course.

I appreciate seeing the stuff you have posted though and am sure most everyone else here does too.

luck n best wishes

~m
:apple:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm not exactly sure what "my nick" means but .....monthy the pics n video are all over the web so I doubt anyone is going to take it down unless Apple legal get on the case of course.

The name he uses on this website would be his "nick".

If he works at Apple, they'll connect the images to him (by way of limited availability), the images are connected to these forums, and his forum name is connected to the images.

And Apple employees can't post here.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
The name he uses on this website would be his "nick".

If he works at Apple, they'll connect the images to him (by way of limited availability), the images are connected to these forums, and his forum name is connected to the images.

And Apple employees can't post here.

ha , ok cheers man , nick- nickname sheesh how did I miss that, more sleep needed I guess:).

" Apple employees can't post here." me thinks they do though;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.