Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drumerdude

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
I think the video and picture are true so please guys stop crying so much that its fake and blabla..nadajajada..boekeboe! when its clearly not
It could be a working mini but not the end product so connecting it won't say anything ;)

The best fake picture which I personally like the most is the one below
(accept it should have firewire of course)

But....looking at the the picture and then thinking you could buy the basic model without superdrive (which could be a good business for itunes)
for a very low price.. anybody get what i'm trying to say?

It looks perfect with all the other apple products :apple:
And if honest I could live without the firewire on the mini
The macbook is a different story that one needs firewire to be a great successor for everybody

Now if this is the one coming out I"ll be all over it any so would you hehe :D

macminiconcept.jpg

bigger picture http://cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/3121325291_b03294936e_o.jpg

I think that this mac mini will be real. The picture doesn't look photshoped.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
How can apple employees not post here on MR??? I can imagine they are under some kind of undisclosure agreement but if they really want it... what stops them?

they'll probably loose their job and get sued.

Heck if someone plays it smart he could make real money leaking stuff out.

fohawk17

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
i think it might be real. but i agree with everyone else. plug it in, show us system profiler, and prove the ports

and i feel sorry for the original poster of the photo, he will be hunted down and figuratively drawn and quartered by the bloodhounds aka "the iLawyers"

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Even if this is real, it is nearly impossible to prove it. Even plugging it in would not prove it although I agree that it would make the whole thing a lot more believeable than it is right now.

Personally, I don't need FireWire or dual video out. I don't even really need a network port (Wifi is fine) for that matter. I don't care if there are extra ports of course, but those things add to the cost. I'd be happy with a truly minimalist model that carried a similarly minimalist price. Even Atom would be fine as long as it can still play HD video via a co-processor. The only other thing I'd like to see is a BD player, but that is (unfortunately) not going to happen any time soon.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
...Even plugging it in would not prove it...

Yeah, it would. A video showing that it is a Mac Mini with a 2.0GHz Penryn chip, a 9400M GPU, and something plugged into the FireWire bus and Mini DisplayPort ports would prove that it is real.

But that won't happen, because it has already been stated that he (monthy) has no control over the box in question.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Yeah, it would. A video showing that it is a Mac Mini with a 2.0GHz Penryn chip, a 9400M GPU, and something plugged into the FireWire bus and Mini DisplayPort ports would prove that it is real.

I disagree, because everything can be faked. I definitely agree that what you suggest would be much harder to fake than a non-working box that just shows some ports on the back, sure. But I'll bet that there are people out there who are desperate enough for attention to go through the trouble.

But that won't happen, because it has already been stated that he (monthy) has no control over the box in question.

I've not read all 1000+ on this topic (covering at least three threads) so I guess I am a little out of the loop on exactly what you mean by that statement. But I'll take your word for it. :)

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
I disagree, because everything can be faked. I definitely agree that what you suggest would be much harder to fake than a non-working box that just shows some ports on the back, sure. But I'll bet that there are people out there who are desperate enough for attention to go through the trouble.

You can't fake what Apple System Profiler renders.

I've not read all 1000+ on this topic (covering at least three threads) so I guess I am a little out of the loop on exactly what you mean by that statement. But I'll take your word for it. :)

I could have sworn that he said that he couldn't plug it into anything at one point because he doesn't actually have it; someone else does.

Something like that.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
You can't fake what Apple System Profiler renders.

I still must disagree. People hack software all the time. Or sometimes they just make an entire fake shell that appears to be something it isn't. In fact, people in Hollywood fake entire worlds and entire races of people. Really! :D I kid but you see my point right? Anything can be done with the right amount of time and patience. Faking a working computer is of course much less difficult than producing a feature length movie. Very possible for the someone who really wants to pull off a hoax. Like I say, I am quite convinced there are folks out there who are desperate enough for attention to go to such lengths.

But I have to say I wasn't really looking to start a debate on this point. We can just agree to disagree on this. :)

I could have sworn that he said that he couldn't plug it into anything at one point because he doesn't actually have it; someone else does.

Something like that.

Very possible. Like I say I didn't read all of it. I think his stories are amusing to follow, but they are nothing more than that as far as I am concerned: just stories.

C

champ01

I think that this mac mini will be real. The picture doesn't look photshoped.

its not real like I sad its a fake you can see it with the connections on the back
having the airflow on the bottom and the connections on top

So if it would be real then the motherboard only get cooled on the bottom and not on top...or the motherboard is upside down but I don't think apple would ever design it that way internally

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
its not real like I sad its a fake you can see it with the connections on the back
having the airflow on the bottom and the connections on top

So if it would be real then the motherboard only get cooled on the bottom and not on top...or the motherboard is upside down but I don't think apple would ever design it that way internally

What are you on about, it's exactly the same design as it's always been....

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The best fake picture which I personally like the most is the one below
(accept it should have firewire of course)
Don't think this is real. Usually the connections are on the bottom and not like this.

I do like the modular concept.

I would love to see a Mac Mini / Apple TV / Time Capsule combination of some sort.

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003

You're kidding, right? It would "prove" nothing.

There would be no guarantee that the machine driving the screen is actually the one it appears to be connected to in the video. Objections along these lines would be raised immediately. (And for good reason, I suppose, in that rigging a video in this way would be easier than what he has been accused of rigging already.)

Think, what would it really take for you to believe? What could Monthy provide that couldn't be faked?

[edit: Why does the forum indicate that there is a page 15 when I can't go there? Trying to go there yields page 14 (this page). I noticed the same thing with earlier pages several times yesterday. Eventually the problem resolves--presumably after more posts have been added.]

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
You're kidding, right? It would "prove" nothing.

There would be no guarantee that the machine driving the screen is actually the one it appears to be connected to in the video. Objections along these lines would be raised immediately. (And for good reason, I suppose, in that rigging a video in this way would be easier than what he has been accused of rigging already.)

Think, what would it really take for you to believe? What could Monthy provide that couldn't be faked?

Uh... a video that does exactly what I just said? That, I would believe.

You have it plugged in. You have the monitor plugged in. You have the computer plugged into the monitor. You turn on the computer. You plug in peripherals. You open Apple System Profiler.

I see absolutely no merit in your argument. All that he has to do is zoom out and show that the monitor is only connected to the Mac Mini.

Think about things. It isn't that hard. :confused:

As easy as it is to fake, it's even easier to do it NOT faked.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Don't think this is real. Usually the connections are on the bottom and not like this.

I do like the modular concept.

I would love to see a Mac Mini / Apple TV / Time Capsule combination of some sort.
I'd be all over that like a rash.

I doubt very much that Apple would combine all three though, shame, it'd be a serious bit of kit & would be sure to attract switchers and existing Mac users alike

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
come on guys do some of you even look at what people write down or... :confused:
The poster said best fake.

IMHO, it is not the best fake because the connections are not on the bottom.

Guess I should have said that while I know that the poster said that it's a fake, and it does look nice, I don't see it as even a valid fake because the connectors are not on the bottom. :)

How's that?

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
Uh... a video that does exactly what I just said? That, I would believe.

You have it plugged in. You have the monitor plugged in. You have the computer plugged into the monitor. You turn on the computer. You plug in peripherals. You open Apple System Profiler.

I see absolutely no merit in your argument. All that he has to do is zoom out and show that the monitor is only connected to the Mac Mini.

Think about things. It isn't that hard. :confused:

We're going to have to disagree on this one. I think this would be pretty easy to fake. I can think of several ways already. One that would make the videography easy (at the expense of more prep) is to embed a wireless receiver of some kind inside the monitor's shell. I've never tried to fake anything before but I think I could whip up something like that in a few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.