Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
ATLANTIC
think: Philadelphia... Pittsburgh close behind
hope: Philadelphia

NORTHEAST
think: Boston... Buffalo close behind
hope: Boston

SOUTHEAST
think: Washington
hope: Winnipeg

CENTRAL
think: Chicago
hope: Chicago

NORTHWEST
think: Vancouver
hope: Edmonton... but really just anybody but Vancouver

PACIFIC
think: Los Angeles
hope: Los Angeles

FINALS
think: Boston v Chicago (no idea who would win, though)
hope: Boston v Vancouver (as long as Boston win in 4 games)

think: Toronto will make the playoffs, but get knocked out in the first round.
hope: Edmonton will not end up in last.
think: Tim Thomas will live up to his playoff performance.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
you should know better than anyone what happened the last time LA and TO met in the playoffs-

you just better hope the refs see the high stick this time......

Don't remind me.:mad::rolleyes::p

Opening day -- I'm freaking excited!!!

Hell yeah. Friggin' NHL Network isn't showing a game tonight. :rolleyes: I thought they'd show the Leafs/Habs game.:mad:

Versus is showing the Philly Boston game, so at least there's something to watch.

I wish I could justify buying Center Ice or NHL Gamecenter, but the time difference out here makes it impossible for me to watch games live.

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
Since you don't have cable I don't see a reason not to try-if only to know if you can get the games at all, at which point you can see if you can make it work. Again, it is possible that they have improved the stability.

i've decided against gamecenter this year. it would've been a birthday treat to myself, but i've found a more appealing alternative. so i'll have to stick with the streams again this year. which is okay.

if anything it gives me an excuse to go down the pub more often!

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
i've decided against gamecenter this year. it would've been a birthday treat to myself, but i've found a more appealing alternative. so i'll have to stick with the streams again this year. which is okay.

if anything it gives me an excuse to go down the pub more often!

I went with ESPN player last year, and was pleased for the most part, but since ESPN player doesnt offer the NHL this year, I went with Gamecenter Live. I was going to go with Hockeystreams.com, which is $70 cheaper, but I went with GCL because it is officially from the NHL. I have seen that there are issues with it in northern Europe, but it seems to work for me well so far. Its the only option for me, since I cant get up 2/3 am to watch hockey games.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Hell yeah. Friggin' NHL Network isn't showing a game tonight. :rolleyes: I thought they'd show the Leafs/Habs game.:mad:

Versus is showing the Philly Boston game, so at least there's something to watch.

I wish I could justify buying Center Ice or NHL Gamecenter, but the time difference out here makes it impossible for me to watch games live.

Yeah, you can watch them on delay though... it might be worth it. Or, buy a Slingbox and send it to your family in Toronto... that's how I watch my games on the road. (your family is quite kind ;) )

Look for me when the camera pans all the way to the left before the entrance to for the Zamboni -- row 7 with the blonde next to me. I'll be in the Bruins jersey. :) I WILL NOT be the idiot standing up and waving to the camera. "That guy" is usually a couple of rows in front of me.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I know I didnt expect Versus to show any of the pre-game other than maybe the anthems, but I would have hoped at least we could have seen how the team remembered their two fallen teammates and friends

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, you can watch them on delay though... it might be worth it. Or, buy a Slingbox and send it to your family in Toronto... that's how I watch my games on the road. (your family is quite kind ;) )

The Slingbox idea is actually a pretty good one.....I'm looking into that. My Mom would totally do that for me.:cool:

Look for me when the camera pans all the way to the left before the entrance to for the Zamboni -- row 7 with the blonde next to me. I'll be in the Bruins jersey. :) I WILL NOT be the idiot standing up and waving to the camera. "That guy" is usually a couple of rows in front of me.

I didn't get to watch.....the gym was calling. I listened to the Leafs game whilst working out. Good game! Leafs played a crappy first period, but the score was still 0-0 after the first. We stepped it up for the last two periods, and won 2-0.

First shutout of the year for Reimer (already the 4th of his young career).....that guy is so impressive. Phaneuf didn't waste any time this year, and scored tonight. Hopefully he can get back on track to becoming the all star defenseman everyone thought he would be. Also, Matthew Lombardi scored his first goal in well over a year, after taking pretty much the entire season off last year due to a severe concussion. Great pickup by Burkie!

And I gotta say, I freakin' love the Leafs' new alternate uniform:
128326485_slide.jpg

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
The best part of the B's game last night was the banner raising ceremony. It was definitely cool to be part of this. They dragged out a lot of the oldies including Milt, Orr, and Sanderson, and others. There was a parade leading to the Garden before the game but I didn't catch that...

The game itself was ok. The Flyer's D was terrible to start but that shifted to the B's D at the end of the first and throughout the rest of the game. The goaltender for Philly looked very good.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
The best part of the B's game last night was the banner raising ceremony. It was definitely cool to be part of this. They dragged out a lot of the oldies including Milt, Orr, and Sanderson, and others. There was a parade leading to the Garden before the game but I didn't catch that...

The game itself was ok. The Flyer's D was terrible to start but that shifted to the B's D at the end of the first and throughout the rest of the game. The goaltender for Philly looked very good.

Of course the game was OK, you lost:rolleyes: Pronger looked a little shaky:eek: The kids looked pretty good to me. And watch out for that Jagr/JVR/Giroux line;):cool:

otav89

Last edited:

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
So is Chara going to get a game for that BOARD on Claude Giroux:eek:
I hope FREAK'N so And I loved it when JVR got in that punk-ass Chara's face
Otav89

Last edited:

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
So is Chara going to get a game for that BOARD on Claude Giroux:eek:
I hope FREAK'N so And I loved it when JVR got in that punk-ass Chara's face
Otav89

Just for the record, I don't think there was a boarding call on that play. What it looked like to me (and I was at the other end of the ice) is that Giroux pulled up well short of the boards and Chara hit him and moved him several feet in to the board (which is not boarding). If Chara hit him in the back, that is a separate problem -- but one of your boys did it to Kelly and there was no call either (that was right in front of me so I did see it) so clearly the refs weren't on that call.

Anyway - like I said earlier, I didn't think either team played that well. There were flashes of excellence but the Flyers goalkeeper kept the wheels on and provided the win. The Flyers were the better team last night. 81 to go.

Reventon

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Roller coaster game for the Leafs tonight. That 3rd period was terrible, but hey, a win is a win. 4 point leads are always the toughest to hang on to. :eek:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Roller coaster game for the Leafs tonight. That 3rd period was terrible, but hey, a win is a win. 4 point leads are always the toughest to hang on to. :eek:

Kinda bummed for my guy Craig Anderson though. I trained with him in June. He's a great person and good teacher. So, I kinda have to pull for him and the Senators, as it's personal. He really got me in the game.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran

I know-we were up 6-1 and had to "hold on" for a 6-3 win.

I will mention an interesting fact from our opener-We had a moment of silence, but not for everyone the NHL lost, but for the recent deaths in the Bay Area (a shooting at a workplace the same day steve died, Al Davis and of course steve himself).

Thought it was very classy to acknowledge all

I would say something about Kessel's trick, but other than an act of Jobs, I dont know what else would prompt him to all of a sudden do it...

robo

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2005
Going to the Nucks/Flyers home opener. Can't wait:D Will see how the kid's play against a real good team;) It's sooooo nice to have hockey back after a real bad weekend here in Philly:cool:

otav89

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just an FYI.......NHL Center Ice is free until October 23rd.

The only game on tonight appears to be the Wild vs. the Sena-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Sorry I've been away - I'm in full-on hockey mode but not able to get on here much. If nothing else will motivate the B's, hopefully they will see that they are tied with Ottawa :eek: and the roadtrip will get them bonding a bit (whatever that means).

Leafs are playing well Surely. I'll be going to the game on 10/20.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I stopped reading after McKenzie argued to move Columbus to the east.

My head started spinning.

That said, I agree that the easiest thing to do will be Winnipeg for Nashville, Detroit or Columbus. Anything else creates chain reactions that will make everyone's head spin and make things extremely complicated.

I personally wouldn't mind not having to deal with the wings 10 times a year; at least we can stop using fatigue as an excuse for our failures.....

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
Caps fan here. I lived in DC for 7 years, became a hockey fan last year. It's really hard to find their games down here in GA though :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.