Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
After the almost finished first round of the Bundesliga, one is still curious why there wasn't any obvious or serious effort from PL contenders to buy out Reus from Gladbach. Nothing against Podolski or Marin, but he's the most promising player by far right now. Very constantly playing, too.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It is interesting. No one moved for Hummels either, maybe they just aren't interested. I've heard German players rarely leave Deutschland.

There are rumours linking Chelsea to Schürrle though.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
It is interesting. No one moved for Hummels either, maybe they just aren't interested. I've heard German players rarely leave Deutschland.

There are rumours linking Chelsea to Schürrle though.

I think that's only particially true. It really fluctuates. Shortly before and after the World Cup in 1990 Germany had half a dozen players played in Italy(Matthäus,Klinsmann,Völler,Riedle, Möller, Kohler). Then for a while only a few made the move abroad(Lehmann,Ballack). In Hummels case, there were rumors that Barcelona is interested and I'm sure they still are. However I think he still wants to make a bigger mark at Dortmund before moving abroad.
Same goes for Schürrle.
I think it's a good sign for the Bundesliga clubs to be able to keep such players in their roster and makes the league overall more attractive for new markets abroad.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Another goal-less borefest. But at least Steve Bould seems to have improved our defending. Clean sheet away at Stoke is noteworthy.

But we need a finisher pronto.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I wouldn't expect so much in this season, at least not until october. Too many new players in crucial positions who haven't even played PL before. Hope they'll manage CL qualification tbh.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If things stay like this then i actually hope we don't. Maybe then, Wenger and the usual suspects will wake up.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I wouldn't expect so much in this season, at least not until october. Too many new players in crucial positions who haven't even played PL before. Hope they'll manage CL qualification tbh.

If things stay like this then i actually hope we don't. Maybe then, Wenger and the usual suspects will wake up.

I actually ment that one can expect next saison much much more than this one.
Do you think they're going to spend more missing the CL??

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I actually ment that one can expect next saison much much more than this one.
Do you think they're going to spend more missing the CL??

Less about the spending, more about the cashing our best players away in the name of 'good business' and forcing us to start over. Its unnecessary since the club isn't exactly struggling financially. Keep these people tied down to lengthy contracts and stop handing them the power to walk away.

That laissez faire attitude when it comes to keeping players needs to change, especially if what Song had to say about the people upstairs is true.

Either that or the club might as well rename itself Arsenal Football Academy; where players come to hone their skills, and subsequently migrate to other clubs.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, you've made yourself look a little bit silly there Martin.

:eek:

Liverpool were much more successful at playing Brendan Rogers' style of football today, but Skrtel absolutely gifted Tevez that equalizer. City looked flat.

Both Man City goals came from defensive errors rather than by dominating the game, and overall I'm pleased with the performance. Both Liverpool goals were excellent; Suarez's free kick in particular was superb. Kelly, Shelvey, Coates and particularly Allen and Sterling all played well. Suarez and Borini are still working on a partnership but both still caused a lot of problems. Andy Carroll made a decent cameo from the bench. Worried about Lucas though.

Columbus 4-3 New England

A crazy match that had a happy ending for the Crew. Arrieta and Higauin each with two goals. We went down to two early goals from the Revolution and then replied with three, before a late strike each settles things. If we do make the playoffs, it will be on the backs of Arrieta and Higuain. They have completely transformed the Crew's attack.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I still don't think Chelsea will win it. Unless they buy another striker...or Torres pulls an RVP. Chelsea have flattered to deceive before.

EDIT: Spurs trying to hijack another Arsenal target. Rennes confirm they've put down a £12.7m bid for M'Villa.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I don't think Chelsea will win the title either, but it's to early to say. At this point in the season there will still be some long-term injuries that haven't happened yet.

EDIT: Spurs trying to hijack another Arsenal target. Rennes confirm they've put down a £12.7m bid for M'Villa.

I'm still not sure why Liverpool ended up with Sahin. I suppose it was probably a mix of Rogers' relationship with Mourinho and Arsenal being outbid in financial terms (allegedly). The latter is more worrying for Arsenal fans.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
From what i gather. Arsenal offered to pay 60% of Sahin's wages and wanted an option-to-buy-clause for £14m. But Mourinho wouldn't agree to the option clause and stalled causing Wenger to bail on the deal.

Then the Scousers swooped in and offered to pay 70% of his wages. However, there are conflicting reports on whether they got the £14m option clause or not. I'm guessing probably not. Then again Mourinho might've done his old pupil a favour and offered him the clause.

Being financially outbid isn't that shocking to any Arsenal fan. Happens all the time. David Silva, Juan Mata, Eden Hazard, Ashley Young, Hugo Lloris, Nuri Sahin, Yann M'Villa etc. All linked with Arsenal, all ended/will end up in other clubs.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Daily Mail is reporting that Nike will replace Umbro as suppliers of England kit.
Gah – I hope not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Nike currently own Umbro of course, but put them up for sale earlier in the year. Umbro have two flagship contracts, England and Manchester City, the latter has already transferred to Nike (despite having years to run on their deal with Umbro) and will be sporting swoosh-emblazoned polyester rags from next season. Whoever holds the deal with England will sell a lot of shirts and other apparel, so it seems unthinkable that Nike won't try to get this plum contract for themselves.

Our regulars here will know that I'm a big fan of much of the stuff Umbro has been producing in the last few years, and it'll be a shame to see us wearing Nike who haven't been putting out a lot of good stuff of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.