Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Enjoyed the England goalfest against Norway, what a spectacle for the capacity crowd!

Edit: Oooh, Roy's annoyed

That's right Roy, you tell em! What about those players that blocked the shots in the first half! I mean, we can't expect defenders to 'defend' every game now can we?

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Roy knows he has too much work to do, and that he may never get it done for England. Starting to crack.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Roy knows he has too much work to do, and that he may never get it done for England. Starting to crack.

England have had pretty much every kind of manager out there and none of them seem to work out. Logically, that means one of three things (or, actually, a combination of three things):

• The squad is overrated.
  • The FA is mismanaging things.
  • The fans' expectations are unreasonable.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
In terms of your last point, I don't think the expectation of seeing a goal from open play against Norway is too much to ask?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Feet back on earth

Italy 2-0 Netherlands

With new/old manager Guus Hiddink, the ballon of the WC was deflated. Within 10 minutes two very naive errors in defense, one of which resulted in the team being down to 10, men as Burno Martins Indi was sent off.

In the second half the team played better but far from good, it was very difficult to believe that this was the same team that came third at the WC only seven weeks ago.

RvP stated after the match better to lose today, than on Tuesday when it’s a qualification match for EC against the Czech Rep. Let’s hope he is right.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
In terms of your last point, I don't think the expectation of seeing a goal from open play against Norway is too much to ask?

I take your point. But I still think the general principles have some merit, especially my first two.

I just don't think there's a manager out there who would get radically better results out of this squad. Though I'm still hoping Redknapp gets the job, that would be a laugh.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Enjoyed the Di Maria/Gomez show.

I feel a bit uncomfortable biting against Gomez, since he is already on the floor and he seems such a nice person, but I wonder and wonder. Why don't they give Kevin Volland a chance. I can't imagine he'd miss more than Gomez. Also, they would train a younger here. Of course I have to admit, I don't know if Gomez is maybe helping the team in other situations, where the camera is not on him, but from what the general clichee about him seems to be, he is that striker type who actually only waits for the ball. Well, and if he then doesn't make the goals...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Scotland perhaps unlucky to face a Germany side coming off a loss and looking to regain momentum.

I actually watched the Georgia - Ireland match in full. Georgia's goal was superb, Ireland the better team but lackluster at times. McGeady was the only Irishman who seemed willing to cut inside and make things happen at the top of the box, which is where the winner came from.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I take your point. But I still think the general principles have some merit, especially my first two.

I just don't think there's a manager out there who would get radically better results out of this squad. Though I'm still hoping Redknapp gets the job, that would be a laugh.

Personally, I'm not after radical results, because we don't have the players for it, but there ARE teams we should be beating, fairly easily in some cases, and we're hardly even testing their keeper. It doesn't seem to matter who' is manager, England are a 1 trick pony. If Plan A doesn't work, there's never a Plan B

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
I feel a bit uncomfortable biting against Gomez, ...

It was a bit Torres at his lowest; the body looks the same but where has he gone?

---

Shock news, Blatter to stand* again - LB will be happy. * typed satand :)

England:

Once the early stages - coaches, facilities... - are sorted, 15 years until the youngsters come through to form a team? Until then it'll be down to luck to provide a talented group. Meanwhile, there are managers who can get players playing as a team. Teamwork v hotchpotch - Greece, MK Dons etc.

Tilpots,

Different spheres but a fixture board advertising Wilmington Hammerheads v The Yale Whiffenpoofs. :)

Cheers,
OW

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
It was a bit Torres at his lowest; the body looks the same but where has he gone?

He was practically injured for the complete last season - hence why he missed the WC too. I'm not a fan but he can still score lots - when fitting the system (bit of a problem imo) and physically fit himself - so really embarrassing to boo him off vs Argentina. Totally clueless folks if you ask me. To say the least.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Tilpots,

Different spheres but a fixture board advertising Wilmington Hammerheads v The Yale Whiffenpoofs. :)

Cheers,
OW

That would be worth the price of admission!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 48

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Danny Double on show tonight.

Has Wenger made another astute signing there i wonder. Seems a threat down the middle.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Columbus 3-0 Chivas USA.

A welcome win, but the match was notable for being the last time Columbus will ever play Chivas USA, since MLS bought the club back from its previous owners in February - it will probably be sold, moved and rebranded in the offseason.

I can't approve of moving clubs, but this is how it's done over here.

Personally, I'm not after radical results, because we don't have the players for it, but there ARE teams we should be beating, fairly easily in some cases, and we're hardly even testing their keeper. It doesn't seem to matter who' is manager, England are a 1 trick pony. If Plan A doesn't work, there's never a Plan B

Actually, it seems to me that it might be the other way 'round. Plan A is whatever system a particular manager favors, and when it doesn't work England go to a 4-4-2 plan B, which is always criticized even when it works. It's unfashionable, to be sure.

At any rate, Roy won today with a diamond midfield. Welbeck's star is on the rise at the moment. Liverpool and England have a real gem in Sterling.

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
(...)

England:

Once the early stages - coaches, facilities... - are sorted, 15 years until the youngsters come through to form a team? Until then it'll be down to luck to provide a talented group. Meanwhile, there are managers who can get players playing as a team. Teamwork v hotchpotch - Greece, MK Dons etc.

(...)
You all know, I always have one ear on women's football. Teamplay was, what they told the press would be the main focus with the new coach and in the youngsters education. They also replaced some players who were good as a single player by more unknown players, if they fit the teamplay better. If the U20 Cup really gave enough inside, it is slowly starting to work. They still move forward, but it seems they try to rather to do more passing (+ immediate tackling, when they loose the ball) and keep the ball (more horizontal then backwards, though). - Well, I am not sure, if that style is what people expect from an English side.
He was practically injured for the complete last season - hence why he missed the WC too. I'm not a fan but he can still score lots - when fitting the system (bit of a problem imo) and physically fit himself - so really embarrassing to boo him off vs Argentina. Totally clueless folks if you ask me. To say the least.
The problem is, when the commentator said, he had done 20 goals for the national team in his career, I couldn't believe it. Either way it is that his good moments get deeper into memory, or he really misses more than he scores. and I think I am not the only one, who first gets a "fail picture" in mind, when hearing Gomez, rather than memories of good scenes.
I mean the "prejudice" of being a chance-misser or "Stehgeiger" (for the english speking, literally: standing violonist) must come from somewhere.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The problem is, when the commentator said, he had done 20 goals for the national team in his career, I couldn't believe it. Either way it is that his good moments get deeper into memory, or he really misses more than he scores. and I think I am not the only one, who first gets a "fail picture" in mind, when hearing Gomez, rather than memories of good scenes.
I mean the "prejudice" of being a chance-misser or "Stehgeiger" (for the english speking, literally: standing violonist) must come from somewhere.

Like I said, don't really like him either. He's one of those rather ancient and mostly outdated number "9" kind of players (excellent counter attacker though - doesn't help him for the national squad and when he was playing for Bayern). I was just referring to the booing-off when he clearly came back from a looong recovery so that is another story. Didn't score that many goals because we were lucky to have Klose around for about 100years.

-

Quite a lucky win against Scotland. Reus injured, again. :/

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Czech Rep 2 - 1 Netherlands.

After the loss in Praag last night, the newspapers and the public at large don’t have a good word for Guus Hiddink.

Guus is taking all the blame, first off playing 5-3-2 system. The word that has been most used is fear.

There is of course the fact that there was NO Robben, and a very off form RvP, but still you do expect more from a team that was 3rd in the WC only 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.