Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I like many others I’m are both pleased and a little surprised, at just how well Ronald Koeman has held Southampton together, in the EPL.

Graziano Pellè was a real bargain at €10 million.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If Pardew goes and an offer comes in, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bruce go.

Wonder who'll take over at that point. Knowing you're going to be dealing with an...'eccentric' owner.

EDIT: Looks like Pardew is staying put. Well its the cheaper option for Ashley so no real surprises there.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Hi guys,

I don't post here much anymore, but I wanted to draw everyone's attention to Fancis Benali's big run. If you don't already know, saints legend Franny Benali has been running a 1,000 mile journey from St. James' Park down to St. Mary's via the other 18 premier league grounds.

He's currently on his way down to St. Mary's and is due to arrive at half time in the Newcastle game on Saturday.

He's raising money for cancer research UK.

It's a really incredible feat, he's been running around 45 miles a day for 3 weeks.

PS. Here's the just giving site if you fancy donating.

A friend was at Southampton for his degree around the time Benali arrived on the scene - think he stayed in the block of flats overlooking The Dell. His first real interest in football - Le Tissier and Benali were the players discussed. I'll send him the details.

---

twietee - Kagawa:

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2013/...hts-2013-kagawa-hat-trick-rooney-goals-video/

Cheers,
OW

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool struggled mightily against an admittedly fearless and surprisingly aggressive but ultimately limited Ludogorets side. An good result but not a classic performance. Balotelli took his goal well, he will be increasingly relied upon. But Sturridge was still missed, and defense continues to be a problem. Against Real Madrid I expect to actually face a leakier defense than Ludogorets' (do Real even really 'defend' in the accepted sense of the word? It's mostly just fouling) - but also a heck of a lot more firepower pummeling Liverpool's defenders.

Arsenal...comprehensively beaten. Dortmund are a very good team, to be sure, but not a good night for Wenger's men. And speaking of defensive worries, the well is pretty much dry in terms of spare defenders. Why did Wenger loan Carl Jenkinson out?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Arsenal was lucky that it was only a 2 Goal defeat. They were awful. Welbeck had some opportunities but couldn't seal the deal. He needs to finish in these big games to gain so e confidence. The chances are there.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
For me the big surprise was Olympiakos Piraeus win against Atlético Madrid. 3-2 with a goal from Ibrahim Afellay, who was transfered from Barcelona, this summer.

Frank de Boer is talking up for a defeat in tonight’s match Ajax vs PSG, he knows that this Ajax are just not good enough for the CL.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Awesome match last night! It was the usual "well, they're excellent but refuse to score > don't get your hopes up twietee since Arsenal will win for sure in the end."

Only letdown is that they didn't score 3+ goals because of the second leg. Read a lot of folks dismissing Immobilie's goal to a lucky no-skill kinda action: he did that trick at least twice this season already before. Just so you know. :p

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Arsenal were hapless, passing was terrible and they wasted their chances. Once the first goal went in, it was game over. The game might've come too early for them after the energy expended against City. Dortmund meanwhile wrapped up their match against Freiburg in 30mins.

Losing might be a blessing in disguise. They've needed a wakeup call since Palace. And Arsenal seem to go on winning runs after notable defeats.

That was the 'hardest' tie in the group. If they shape up and put out solid performances henceforth they can still win the group. They are more than capable of wining their home games as well as getting points in Turkey and Belgium.

But me thinks Wenger should drop Ramsey, Ozil and Arteta for a while and bring in Ox, Cazorla and Flamini. (Ramsey and Ozil off the pace).

Liverpool weren't great either last night and got away with the points by the skin of their teeth.

All in all, a meh night for English teams.

Over to you City.

Last edited:

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Hello all, just stopping in to say hi.
Arsenal fan as well as DbF fan.
Can't wait to get my new 4 star track jacket for the wife and I. I have a 2006 cup and wife has a 2010 cup Adidas track jackets.
My zipper broke it's been worn so much and finally had to get a new zipper put on just in time for Germany to win this year haha.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
hello all, just stopping in to say hi.
Arsenal fan as well as dbf fan.
Can't wait to get my new 4 star track jacket for the wife and i. I have a 2006 cup and wife has a 2010 cup adidas track jackets.
My zipper broke it's been worn so much and finally had to get a new zipper put on just in time for germany to win this year haha.

coys!

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Welp. Another meh night for English teams. Boateng haunts City.

Robben gets on the pitch...dives 3 minutes later.

Meanwhile Huntelaar cancels out Chelsea.

Drogba past his sell-by.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Ajax 1 - 1 PSG

Well colour me and the rest of the Netherlands surprised.:eek:

Ajax held PSG to a draw, and did not cave in as everybody including myself had predicted.

Ajax who have has a terrible start to the season in the very mediocre Eredivisie, play with a passion and elan against the stars of PSG.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
It's a bummer where I am not a lot , if any places play BPL or anything else. Everyone played World Cup stuff but that's because it's World Cup and everyone all the sudden likes football when it comes every 4 years.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
It's a bummer where I am not a lot , if any places play BPL or anything else. Everyone played World Cup stuff but that's because it's World Cup and everyone all the sudden likes football when it comes every 4 years.

not got cable ?

very fortunate here. NBCSPORTS has several premiere league matches on and beIN/english channel is even showing another League Championship match this a.m., Watford vs Bournemouth. and of course beIn/ESP will show all sorts of La Liga games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.