Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
My battery is at 75% after about 30 minutes of use, so I seem to have passed that threshold and that extrapolates to about 2 hours(assuming there are no dead cells).

I really need to get some more memory in this thing. My other 12" PB has the RAM maxed and an SSD, and this one feels slow in comparison. Overall, though, it's not terrible-it's all in what I'm use to.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
My battery is at 75% after about 30 minutes of use, so I seem to have passed that threshold and that extrapolates to about 2 hours(assuming there are no dead cells).

I really need to get some more memory in this thing. My other 12" PB has the RAM maxed and an SSD, and this one feels slow in comparison. Overall, though, it's not terrible-it's all in what I'm use to.

I guess I'm the only one with a nearly completely dead battery :(

How much RAM did yours come with? Mine has 768 MB.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX

768mb here. Can someone tell me if it is worth purchasing a 1gb stick to take it up to 1.5 GB? I am only going to be using this computer for the office applications, plus a little web browsing and email. But my iphoto, itunes, and imovie will all be on my 17in MBP. Thanks!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

512mb in mine.

I have some 512mb chips lying around that have been pulled from other(upgraded) computers-I'll probably stick one in tonight to get it up to 768. I'm out of 1gb chips, though, so that will have to wait.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
768mb here. Can someone tell me if it is worth purchasing a 1gb stick to take it up to 1.5 GB? I am only going to be using this computer for the office applications, plus a little web browsing and email. But my iphoto, itunes, and imovie will all be on my 17in MBP. Thanks!

Yes, upgrading the RAM will always give a machine of that age a speed boost. It will take a 1 GB.

Edit: Up to 1.25 GB with 1 GB + built in 256 MB.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

1.25gb is the max with these-the onboard ram is 256mb(this is actually one area where the last generation iBook G4s are superior, as they have 512mb soldered).

With that said, although I have run it with less, I consider 1gb the minimum "comfortable" amount for Leopard-even just for web browsing and other light uses.

Considering that a 1gb DDR SO-DIMM should cost you less than $10, I think it would be money well spent(I had some put back, but went on an upgrade binge last week to max out both my iBook G4 and iMac G4).

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 101

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
1.25gb is the max with these-the onboard ram is 256mb(this is actually one area where the last generation iBook G4s are superior, as they have 512mb soldered).

With that said, although I have run it with less, I consider 1gb the minimum "comfortable" amount for Leopard-even just for web browsing and other light uses.

Considering that a 1gb DDR SO-DIMM should cost you less than $10, I think it would be money well spent(I had some put back, but went on an upgrade binge last week to max out both my iBook G4 and iMac G4).

Yes, I noticed the iBook G4 has 512 MB built-in. Mine has no upgrade installed and is running Tiger on only the 512. I really need to get a 1GB upgrade for it.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX

Thanks for some reason I thought 512mb was on board. Either way, I will probably up the ram since that seems to be the consensus here.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Mine hit 12% at about 11:15 this evening, and then shut off due to a low battery. That's nearly an hour an a half since my post at 9:52 this evening, and probably about 1:45 of continuous(plus the few hours from when I turned it on until I actually used it.

I was primarily browsing the web(actually a fairly CPU intensive task on these computers) using Leopard Webkit.

While that's far from what the nearly new NuPower battery I have in my other 12" PB will do, I'd still call that decent and definitely a workable amount of battery power.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well my powerbook seems to be on it's way, sort of.

So far eBay tracking shows it started in Santa Clara Cal. then had a stop in Illinois, this morning it says it is in Ellesmere Ky.
Little wonder why I was given a delivery date of jan19-feb09, there are still 45 more states to cover.

If nothing else, it is going to set a record for most miles covered.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You can save a few more bucks if you don't mind waiting for it to come from China or Hong Kong...

With that said, I generally try to buy RAM from domestic sellers as the difference in price is usually small and it's a lot easier to deal with if you have problems. I've never had issues with Ebay RAM(and I've bought a LOT) but-it's always something to keep in mind.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There is no set date that these machines will die. I have Macs dating back to 1999 without issues and I have had machines from 2005 die completely (LCS failure). What is going on with your mid-2010 Mac?

My 512ke is for the most part working with the acception of the floppy drive and my 20 year old Power Macintosh 6100/66 still works flawlessly

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Received Response from Seller

Ok, so a couple days ago I did receive a response from the seller regarding the issues of the backlight bleed and basically dead battery. Here is the part that really stood out to me:

As with the problems you listed, we find that they're too severe to offer partial because it would be more then the actual price of the laptop itself to be reasonable.

For this issue, you can return the PowerBook and you'll receive a full refund.

It was nice of them to acknowledge these issues as being relatively severe, but it would have been nice if they had offered a partial refund of maybe $10. I now need to decide whether to keep it or return it.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
Ok, so a couple days ago I did receive a response from the seller regarding the issues of the backlight bleed and basically dead battery. Here is the part that really stood out to me:

It was nice of them to acknowledge these issues as being relatively severe, but it would have been nice if they had offered a partial refund of maybe $10. I now need to decide whether to keep it or return it.

Good resolution. You going to search for another one?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

They're playing with your head, especially if you have to pay for the return postage.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

I am sure you can specifically ask for a $10.00-$15.00 partial refund. After all then they don't lose it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.