Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Those HTC pictures look fantastic, I don't see how they suck even compared to other phones but whe do know MRU is that good.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Those HTC pictures look fantastic, I don't see how they suck even compared to other phones but whe do know MRU is that good.
He is that good! I have an M8 and I can't make my pictures look that good! But then he does have that great Irish coastline and cute dogs to work with! :)

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
It doesn't suck.. It's just low res.

View attachment 476262

Been working on your back flips again:p The M8 camera was no problem for me when I had it. Specially indoors and close ups. Better to use than the S5, you can go make a cup of tea while it takes a photo:eek: But no one listened to me :(

That black and white shot is great. Would be a great lock screen, well done.

Hope you don't mind just saved it to lock screen on my mini, can you get another one with a better camera lol?

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Been working on your back flips again:p The M8 camera was no problem for me when I had it. Specially indoors and close ups. Better to use than the S5, you can go make a cup of tea while it takes a photo:eek: But no one listened to me :(

That black and white shot is great. Would be a great lock screen, well done.

Hope you don't mind just saved it to lock screen on my mini, can you get another one with a better camera lol?

No backflip here, read through the thread since I got the device, it still would benefit from extra megapixels. But it's not terrible and that's the point I was referring to. However there is a vast gulf between not terrible & great.

It is one of the better 4mp camera out there, but therein is it's biggest issue in that it's only 4mp.

We would all benefit if they had at least gone up to 8 ultrapixels or 13-16mp standard camera.

The boat photo looks great on things like here / social media, but try and print it at 10x8 and the lack of MP is evident.

Did you find the S5 camera slow ? I thought it had an awesome camera ....

v871305

macrumors member
May 30, 2014
The Last Shangri-La
Hi Guys,

Long time reader here (never posted), but been around here since 2007 :D. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I got the M8 about 2 weeks ago. Awesome device, but its been lagging - its not "lag" as such, but more unresponsiveness, especially when multitasking. Eg. pressing the home button is unresponsive for several seconds, multitasking menu does not respond.

Now, I'm not a crazy power user or anything - I have around 40 apps or so, but only about 10 that are frequently used (mail, music, social media, flipboard etc). Its just seems unreasonable for a flagship device to lag like that. I love this phone, but coming from the Nexus 5, it feels like a step backward with usability.

Is anyone else having issues like this? I'd love to get the GPE rom on it, but I don't think T-Mo will take it back when i do the jump upgrade.

Thanks guys

PS - does the Sense SMS app not support group messages? :eek:

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
Long time reader here (never posted), but been around here since 2007 :D. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I got the M8 about 2 weeks ago. Awesome device, but its been lagging - its not "lag" as such, but more unresponsiveness, especially when multitasking. Eg. pressing the home button is unresponsive for several seconds, multitasking menu does not respond.
Is anyone else having issues like this? I'd love to get the GPE rom on it, but I don't think T-Mo will take it back when i do the jump upgrade.

I'm having the same issues and was reading through this thread. Not sure if it's something wrong with the phone or just Android + Sense. I don't have a plain Android phone to compare it to but the other Android phones I have and have used tend to have the same sort of responsiveness issues. I was hoping that a much newer and more powerful one wouldn't but so far that doesn't seem to be the case =/

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm having the same issues and was reading through this thread. Not sure if it's something wrong with the phone or just Android + Sense. I don't have a plain Android phone to compare it to but the other Android phones I have and have used tend to have the same sort of responsiveness issues. I was hoping that a much newer and more powerful one wouldn't but so far that doesn't seem to be the case =/

Something is most definitely wrong... More info. What carrier are you with.

The M8 is noted for it fastest response times android wise, so clearly there is something wrong in your instance. Sense 6 is faster (animation wise) than stock.

----------

Hi Guys,

Now, I'm not a crazy power user or anything - I have around 40 apps or so, but only about 10 that are frequently used (mail, music, social media, flipboard etc). Its just seems unreasonable for a flagship device to lag like that. I love this phone, but coming from the Nexus 5, it feels like a step backward with usability.

Thanks guys

PS - does the Sense SMS app not support group messages? :eek:

As above. Something very array. Again what carrier are you with ?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Thank you.

Is it best to buy the Google edition instead?

I'm really not sure. I have not done the research and would definitely want to be sure att doesn't throw a wrench in root ability. I was surprised to read that post, I expected all att devices to be locked tight. The Att moto x cannot be bootloader unlocked afaik, so Htc gets kudos if they can get it done on att.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Thank you.

Is it best to buy the Google edition instead?

You can do a full GPE conversion, with relative ease, on the AT&T version -- would save you quite a bit if you have a subsidized upgrade available.

I'm really not sure. I have not done the research and would definitely want to be sure att doesn't throw a wrench in root ability. I was surprised to read that post, I expected all att devices to be locked tight. The Att moto x cannot be bootloader unlocked afaik, so Htc gets kudos if they can get it done on att.

HTC has been great about not playing AT&T's lockdown game, unlike certain other manufacturers.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
You can do a full GPE conversion, with relative ease, on the AT&T version -- would save you quite a bit if you have a subsidized upgrade available.

HTC has been great about not playing AT&T's lockdown game, unlike certain other manufacturers.

Unfortunately, I don't have an upgrade yet. That's why I'm debating of either going to best buy and buying one or just grab the Google play version.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Unfortunately, I don't have an upgrade yet. That's why I'm debating of either going to best buy and buying one or just grab the Google play version.

In that case I'd go with the GPE. You can always flash a Sense ROM later on if you'd like. But to answer your initial question, root is easily attained on either. Just unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, then flash SuperSu as mentioned above.

Last edited:

v871305

macrumors member
May 30, 2014
The Last Shangri-La
Something is most definitely wrong... More info. What carrier are you with.

The M8 is noted for it fastest response times android wise, so clearly there is something wrong in your instance. Sense 6 is faster (animation wise) than stock.

----------

As above. Something very array. Again what carrier are you with ?

I'm with T-Mobile USA. It must be a carrier related issue. I have a friend who got one last week (from T-Mo as well). I could re-create a couple of the issues that I have had. Eg - Everytime I go to post something on instagram it takes a good 3-4 seconds before the image list will show up (for me to select which photo), and its not like I have thousands of pics, I hardly take any pics, I think I have a grand total of a 100 plus change. Also, multi-tasking (app switching) has a few second delays (not all the time, but definitely enough to notice).

I am going to take it back to T-Mo and have a chat with them, but the store me has a bunch of young guys working (who seemed pretty clueless when I went to get the phone), so will see how that goes.

Other than that, its a beautiful device. I'd love to get the GPE rom on it but I'm on the jump plan and apparently, T-Mo won't take it back if I unlock the boot loader.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have usually run all my phones naked....no cases. Don't like cases. Just my personal preference. Got a little scratch on my M8 even though I have been so extra careful with this phone! It really irks me to no end how easy it is to scratch the M8. I got the ZAGG invisible shield to put on the back. It really is a nice solution. It has just a little texture to to grip so the M8 is not a slippery. I really like it.....

ZjaZ7MUl.jpg
[/IMG]

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have usually run all my phones naked....no cases. Don't like cases. Just my personal preference. Got a little scratch on my M8 even though I have been so extra careful with this phone! It really irks me to no end how easy it is to scratch the M8. I got the ZAGG invisible shield to put on the back. It really is a nice solution. It has just a little texture to to grip so the M8 is not a slippery. I really like it.....

url]

Yeah I have an invisible shield on the back of mine too.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
The All New HTC One (M8)

I was going to get the m8 through google but I kinda like the fact I get 0% financing for 16 months through best buy. There's not much of a difference between devices other than the os?

Edit: would you guys say I should get the nexus 5 instead? I kinda want to see what some companies do in the next qtr.

Edit2: yeah, nvm on the nexus. I just can't get past some of the complaints I've read about the battery.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was going to get the m8 through google but I kinda like the fact I get 0% financing for 16 months through best buy. There's not much of a difference between devices other than the os?

Edit: would you guys say I should get the nexus 5 instead? I kinda want to see what some companies do in the next qtr.

Edit2: yeah, nvm on the nexus. I just can't get past some of the complaints I've read about the battery.
If you get the carrier version of the M8.....you can unlock/root and flash ROMS that will essentially make it a GPE M8

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.