Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I do not have S-Off but can flash ROMs and switch between Sense and AOSP images. What do you need S-Off for?

Here are more supposed ways to get S-Off but as always it is not to be taken lightly and I have never tried these processes...I cannot vouch for them.

http://rumrunner.us/

http://moonshine.io/

Just tried rum runner and same thing. Going to try flashing a different rom to see if that will work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 183

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, tried with the insertcoin rom and everthing seemed to work fine, but alas still no s-off, rum runner tells me to power on my device, which is weird since it's on and to run it again, which I've done 3 times now and each time it gives me the same message and no s-off.

And firewater gave me the same message as before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 138

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I wonder if my hboot has anything to do with it? It says it's version 3.16 while in xda I've seen comments about it suppose to being on 1.56?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 159

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wonder if my hboot has anything to do with it? It says it's version 3.16 while in xda I've seen comments about it suppose to being on 1.56?
I just checked mine and it say the same as yours. My hboot is 3.16 as well. This is turning out to be quite the PITA huh?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are you guys on carrier, gpe, or developers edition?

I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Thats a great point. My M8 is AT&T the model. But I am not trying to convert to the GPE model. Just trying to help.......

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Are you guys on carrier, gpe, or developers edition?

I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

It's the AT&T version. From everything I read it should be doable in converting it to gpe, not sure what's going on though. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

I'm wondering if I can still convert to gpe without s-off, I was able to put a gpe Rom on my phone, though I had to restore to sense because it kept rebooting with the gpe.

----------

I just checked mine and it say the same as yours. My hboot is 3.16 as well. This is turning out to be quite the PITA huh?

Yup. First time I've ever done this. Unlocking the boot loader and gaining root access wasn't too bad, it did take a couple of hours, but getting s-off is really taking forever.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, I had some time so I tried moonshine, still didn't work but at least I saw where it got hung up. Seems adb failed when it rebooted to the boot loader. Not sure if that's where the others had trouble too or not, since they just showed a progress bar.

I did try an adv command while in the boot loader and adv gave me a message that adb was outdated. Not sure if that's referring to my phone or what was loaded on my computer. Will have more time tonight to tinker some more.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Update: tried again last night for a couple of hours and still not going through. I think I'm going to give up.

I did find a solution though to the gpe ROM endlessly rebooting, I disabled the SuperSU app in settings and that seems to have fixed it. I had try to clean and reinstall, but it kept freezing up in cleanup mode. I wonder if maybe my SuperSU wasn't installed properly and that's why I couldn't get s-off?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Update: tried again last night for a couple of hours and still not going through. I think I'm going to give up.

I did find a solution though to the gpe ROM endlessly rebooting, I disabled the SuperSU app in settings and that seems to have fixed it. I had try to clean and reinstall, but it kept freezing up in cleanup mode. I wonder if maybe my SuperSU wasn't installed properly and that's why I couldn't get s-off?

Have you tried going back to complete factory stock? And then begin from the beginning? Maybe somewhere along the process a mistake was made..?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Have you tried going back to complete factory stock? And then begin from the beginning? Maybe somewhere along the process a mistake was made..?

How do i do that? If i do a factory reset it still boots into the gpe rom i have loaded and the bootloader is still unlocked with root.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
The All New HTC One (M8)

How do i do that? If i do a factory reset it still boots into the gpe rom i have loaded and the bootloader is still unlocked with root.

I don't have the phone but I'm assuming you would need to find an AT&T version of Sense 6 and flash that. Unroot the phone all together and convert it back to stock so you can start from the beginning.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
@Fernandez:

FWIW, I went through the revone S-OFF exploit with two AT&T branded M7 last year. The first one was no problem, but the second gave me some issues. After an hour or so of tinkering, I reverted the phone to factory image via RUU (should be able to find this for the M8 on XDA or HTC's site), started over and the process went without a hitch. May be worth trying in your case.

Also, you mentioned HBOOT v1.54. You sure this was for the M8? I recall that being the version on the M7 I was using last year. I would check to make sure you have the same HBOOT version as the people claiming success with these exploits. HTC could have already broken the exploits with a patch to HBOOT.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Rooting and all that. Stuff I don't quite miss from my M7 last year. I jumped through every hoop I could find to try and get decent battery life.

This time around with my M8? I did a few tweaks and frankly, my battery life is fantastic. I did more than I normally do on a phone during the day, including downloading music from Google Play, and I still went to bed after midnight with 15% juice. So I don't know that I'll be rooting and flashing a rom this time around.

For what it's worth, I was using Android Revolution HD the entire time.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, I went ahead and relocked my boot loader and restored to stock. After that I began the process again and once again boot loader unlock and rooting went fine but still can't get s-off.

Then I messed up, I flashed the gpe edition with stock recovery and then proceeded with a ota update to 4.4.4 and appearently my OS disappeared in the process. Was able to flash twrp recovery and when I get home will install another rom, but for today my iPhones been pulling double duty with my one out of commission.

I will try one last time to get s-off tonight, but if that doesn't work I'm just going to use the phone as is and hopefully when android l comes out it'll be a quick process to flash the update.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, for some reason I can't load any rom onto the phone, it fails every time.

I even relocked the boot loader and tried the AT&T stock ruu again and that brings up an error saying it isn't the correct ROM update utility for my phone and to find the correct one, even though it is the correct one and the same one I used before to return to stock.

Not sure what to do at this point other than call the insurance company and pay the deductible. Would AT&T do a warrantee swap? I doubt it because the fast boot shows tampered, but not sure how thorough they are.

Also my fast boot screen is now different than what it was before. It used to have a white background and now it's black, not sure if that has something to do with it not allowing to flash Roms or restore to stock or not. It's been that way since I tried the ota with the gpe rom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well, for some reason I can't load any rom onto the phone, it fails every time.

I even relocked the boot loader and tried the AT&T stock ruu again and that brings up an error saying it isn't the correct ROM update utility for my phone and to find the correct one, even though it is the correct one and the same one I used before to return to stock.

Not sure what to do at this point other than call the insurance company and pay the deductible. Would AT&T do a warrantee swap? I doubt it because the fast boot shows tampered, but not sure how thorough they are.

Also my fast boot screen is now different than what it was before. It used to have a white background and now it's black, not sure if that has something to do with it not allowing to flash Roms or restore to stock or not. It's been that way since I tried the ota with the gpe rom.
Sorry you are going through that!
I found some links that might be helpful. They might be for different carrier than your but the process would still be the same just different file packages.

http://androidforums.com/one-m8-all-things-root/853577-how-fix-soft-brick-htc-m8.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2759524

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8-rooting-roms-hacks/393929-help-bricked-htc-one-m8-htc-logo-4-triangles.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-kPOYKudc

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Thanks, I'm at work now but I'll try these out tonight. Here is what my phone shows when I try to boot up, it just sits there on the HTC logo with an open lock at the bottom. If I relocked my boot loader the lock goes away but it still hangs there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 120

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
And here is what it shows when I try to install the gpe rom. When I tried insertcoin it would actually say it was successfully installed, but it would boot up and when I would go into recovery, the sd card was still empty.

Sorry for the multiple posts, on my iPhone and it only lets me upload one picture per post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.