Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
dmw007 said:
Come now, can it really be that bad? I can understand someone not thinking that Hershey makes the best chocolate in the world. But certainly not the worst chocolate in the world- I have tasted some "generic" branded chocolates, and they were bad. :)

okay okay maybe hershey's are good for smores :) but I just dont like the plain taste to it. I'm more into chocolate that melts in your mouth and Hershey doesnt really do that for me.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
^^ I agree, leave the Hershey's for the s'mores. :p

I'm actually not a huge fan of chocolate but I do get the occassional craving. My first choice is almost always dark. And I do like this brand, Scharffen Berger (except they've just been bought out by Hershey's :( Boo... hope it doesn't change!) Linky.

If I'm in the really rare non-dark chocolate mode, I'd love these, I really don't usually like nuts and not macadamia either, but these even have rice crispies, yum!-- but I can't find them for cheap anywhere near here! They were crazy cheap at the Costco on Maui, but alas, I am not near that Costco.

And these... let's be honest, I love not for the chocolate but for the surprises! I haven't seen or eaten one since I was ten in Paris (to be more accurate, St. Cloud), France... I want them so badly!!!

kindereggfun.jpg

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
You have to try truffles from Neuhaus (Belgium). And Elite chocolates from Israel are very underated.

But my favorite is Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (Beer).:)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I very rarely eat chocolate...but I cannot resist the Champagne Truffles made by Teuscher of Switzerland - those of you lucky enough to have one of their shops in your city should check them out (but be prepared - we are not talking cheap stuff here!)....oh yeah!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
MAJOR chocoholic here, so I'll pretty much eat anything, but I do have some favourites.

For more commercial stuff I don't think you can go past Lindt. The Lindor balls are the best! The few experiences I've had with American chocolate have been disappointing - it's usually overly sweet and just doesn't taste quite right.

There are quite a few "boutique" chocolate shops around in the city that have some of the best stuff. "Koko Blak" and "Max Brenner" are my personal favourites, they have awesome chocolate, but have cafes attached which serve some great stuff like liquid chocolate you drink out of an oil-burner type thing. I had this amazing hot chocolate at a south american cafe not too long ago. It was hot milk poured over good quality chocolate buttons, honey and chili paste! Another memorable one was in Vienna, where it came served in a metal goblet with all sorts of spices and cream on top.

As for flavourings, the darker the better, but I still love milk and white chocolate too. Anything infused/filled with anything orange, mint or coffee is also good in my book - particularly chocolate coated coffee beans.

Ok, so clearly I'm an addict. :eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
max_altitude said:
As for flavourings, the darker the better, but I still love milk and white chocolate too. Anything infused/filled with anything orange, mint or coffee is also good in my book - particularly chocolate coated coffee beans.

Ok, so clearly I'm an addict. :eek:

I've wondered about those coffee bean chocolates. Do you actually eat the coffee bean? Do they do anything to the bean to make it a little more appetizing?

I've wanted to try, but I'm kinda scared to. :eek:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
I've wondered about those coffee bean chocolates. Do you actually eat the coffee bean? Do they do anything to the bean to make it a little more appetizing?

Yup. Eat the whole bean. I <3 'em. It might be shocking at first... I would make sure you actually enjoy coffee first, though. :p I like the espresso beans, personally.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
Cadbury Flake!! ..and Nestle Aero, yum. And Lindt ANYTHING. Thanks to you, Cost Plus, I'll never be able to eat US chocolate again. :p

Yeah right. I'll eat any chocolate. I'm pretty much a chocoholic.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
katie ta achoo said:

You do eat the bean, and it kind of has the texture of a nut, though it's probably a bit more crunchy. As far as I know all they do to the beans is roast them like for normal coffee but the addition of the chocolate makes it taste really good. They are a bit weird when you first try them, in fact I think I spat the bean out, but then you get used to it and they quickly become addictive.

Edit: devilot beat me to it!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Banff is full of Candy & Chocolate shops, I make a point of never going into them because I walk by them 10 times a day and if I know how good they are I'll start spending money in them.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
No matter what anyone says

A true aficionado should not care whence the chocolate in front of them came, but rather that there simply IS chocolate to be had. Therefore:

The Best Chocolate Is:

FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE
FREE

mmmmm

edit: Chocaholic may be substituted for "Aficionado" to suit some people

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I eat way too much of this chocolate:

attachment.php

But then again it is "a small piece of Norway"... :rolleyes: :p

katie ta achoo said:
When I was in Europe, I got Mozart chocolates... Hazelnut kinda nutella-ish stuff, wrapped in marzipan, covered in decadent dark chocolate.

I had at least 40 of them while I was there.
BEST CHOCOLATE EVER.
liqu133.jpg

Did you try this one, too, while in Europe? ;)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 382

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I'm not that big into chocolate but when I eat it, it has to be:

MILKA ...Die zarteste Versuchung seit es Schokolade gibt!

I also like Ferrero Roche, Mon Cheri, Ferrero Küsse and Kinder-Schokolade and also the Kinder-Überaschungs-Eier.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...if you want standard chocolate bars with decent quality then Milka is definitely the way o go...but if you got the $$ to spend then Teuscher all the way...the swiss...they know chocolate!...oh yeah!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sorry, but none of this milk-addled, vegetable-fat bloated sugary nonsense for me...

Dark chocolate, thanks. Hold the nuts, beans, fruit, and other related bits... Lindt, Green & Blacks, anything Belgian etc.

Real chocolate. Don't mind if I do... cheers.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm sure it isn't the best, but GHIRARDELLI is my favorite American chocolate.

Hershey's is OK, but heres my challenge for you; eat some GHIRARDELLI chocolate, and then try some Hershey's. You'll want to spit it out and go get some more GHIRARDELLI.

670600_686Prd.JPG

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
3rdpath said:
the cadbury fruit and nut my friends bring me from london also is fantastic....sadly, i can eat one of their laptop size bars in a day.

Ironic really, you get friends to bring you cadbury's from the UK and we usually stock up with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in California when we go to the US for a conference there in March. Hershey's chocolate, on the other hand, tastes like cooking chocolate.

Thought Hershey's had a licence to produce Cadbury's in the US?

Not keen on dark chocolate on its own. Cadbury's and Galaxy are both good, normally priced ones, but different. Swiss and Belgian chocolate is wonderful, but expensive. How can one have a favourite chocolate? There's one for every mood!!

EDIT: PS. What are smores??

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
devilot said:
And these... let's be honest, I love not for the chocolate but for the surprises! I haven't seen or eaten one since I was ten in Paris (to be more accurate, St. Cloud), France... I want them so badly!!!
There's asian/international market in Santa Barbara that carries Kinder surprise eggs along with lots of other childhood favorites, Smarties (the UK chocolate kind, not the US chalk stuff), Malteesers, Quality Street, Cadbury Fingers, Sugus. Strange to think many of these are Nestle products now. :(.

Growing up in Switzerland there was chocolate all around all the time.
So for me, chocolate is like wine or cheese, there are lots of excellent varieties, and even the mediocre ones can hit the spot in a pinch. ;)

Since my son has milk allergies, we tend to have dark varieties without milk around the house now, but have recently found a rice milk & hazelnut bar a Trader Joes that is quite good.

My mom recently introduced me to raw cacao, talk about bitter!

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.