Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Only BlackBerry has true Push email that goes instantaneously the moment you send it. Thats why so many business use BB.

That is not correct. There are various systems which support "true push" (to use your term). Microsoft Exchange supports true push and there are various other OS which do. I use IMAP with my commercial email provider and that supports the IDLE command. With the idle command *as soon as an email* reaches a folder - eg your inbox - a client program is notified etc. In my case my inbox becomes populated with the new mail.

You can read more from this link:

http://www.isode.com/whitepapers/imap-idle.html

I quote:

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is the best open standard for accessing mobile email. It handles immediate notification as part of general operations and by the IDLE command, which is a widely implemented standard extension to the core IMAP protocol.

Several phone OS provide for IMAP IDLE, including Symbian and even my old Sony Ericsson K790a supported it. Unfortunately Apple for their own reasons do not.

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Only BlackBerry has true Push email that goes instantaneously the moment you send it. Thats why so many business use BB.

The iPhone is still great for texting and all the multi-media consumption features so hopefully the push email isn't too big a deal for you.

^^^ Guy right here has no idea how enterprise email with Iphones and blackberries works. The vast majority of businesses which have blackberries have a microsoft Exchange server connected to a BES for push email on their blackberry. The iPhone supports ActiveSync which gives PUSH email to an iPhone, just like a blackberry, from a microsoft exchange server. Best of all? No licensing fee for BES.

In fact, the iPhone has BETTER push email support than the blackberry for businesses, because it is just as instant, except with no additional server costs ontop of the existing exchange setup.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
^^^ Guy right here has no idea how enterprise email with Iphones and blackberries works. The vast majority of businesses which have blackberries have a microsoft Exchange server connected to a BES for push email on their blackberry. The iPhone supports ActiveSync which gives PUSH email to an iPhone, just like a blackberry, from a microsoft exchange server. Best of all? No licensing fee for BES.

In fact, the iPhone has BETTER push email support than the blackberry for businesses, because it is just as instant, except with no additional server costs ontop of the existing exchange setup.

If only Apple would add an email notification to the lock screen! You might get your email right away on your iPhone, but half the time you don't feel the vibrate or hear the quiet tone, making push pretty useless.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

not to mention the bull you have to go through with BES,

Blackberry tech is old....

calvinc

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Is Rogers' Upgrade Eligibility working properly for everyone? I activated a blackberry in 2009 and it's still giving me the full price. Thanks.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
Thanks for everyone who answered my question! I was just wondering since my dad and me were just emailing each other from across the room.

I sent my email, he got it within 30 seconds. He sent me one, and it took so long I just left.

He has a blackberry...

It is no big deal tho, just wanted to know. I dont use email to much anyways.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

Any data to back this up? Why does iPhone require to fetch emails? BB emails arrive instantly.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is it set to fetch or push? You can push with gmail when set up as an exchange.
But I noticed that even my Hotmail mail arrives in seconds too... And that is set to fetch every 15mins because push isn't available

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
not to mention the bull you have to go through with BES,

Blackberry tech is old....

Any data to back this up? Why does iPhone require to fetch emails? BB emails arrive instantly.

I work in an area where I support many mobile phones.. and it just seems like BB and BES is a headache and adds more layers to the whole mail setup.

Every BB connects through BIS and/or BES for any internet/email/bbm traffic. The whole purpose of BIS in the late 90s was for RIM to show the carriers that they could offer data centric device with compressed data and not hammer whatever networks were available at the time. Since then its just gotten bigger and more complex.. and I've seen first hand with many BB users that mail is not always pushed. imagine for every BB user every one of their registered mail accounts sit on RIM's network logged and consistently polling or connected looking for new mail (and eventually pushed to the phone). Can't even imagine how they handled hundreds of millions of accounts, let alone all the internet traffic from every BB. Its a mess of an infrastructure in my opinion.. adding another expensive and possible point of failure.. Why does a phone need to rely on a whole separate network for it to work Do a quick google search of people complaining how hotmail accounts aren't always pushing or how gmail accounts get delayed and still don't have proper 2 way read sync status.

The beauty of the iPhone (along with others, WM, Android, Symbian, webOS, etc) is you can simply add pop3, imap, exchange mail accounts to the phone and the phone does a direct connection to the respective server. Exchange Activesync is true push, and you get mail/contacts/calendar through it. Seems to be getting popular for Gmail users to use activesync to connect to their accounts.. also sounds like MS may enable activesync for Hotmail accounts as well.

At my one office, we have a big mix of BB and iPhones. iPhones have simple direct exchange connection, and BBs all connect through a BES server. It requires more $$, time to support, increased downtime.. NEVER an issue with activesync based phones connecting directly.

AC202

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Got to Yorkdale at 10am sharp, just when the store opened. Was about 20-25th in line. Got out of there with 2 iPhones just shortly after 2pm.

Staff kept informing the growing line that they haven't received any shipments, until about... 11:30am or so, when the manager came out with the news, and everyone rejoiced.

:p :apple:

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Got to Yorkdale at 10am sharp, just when the store opened. Was about 20-25th in line. Got out of there with 2 iPhones just shortly after 2pm.

Staff kept informing the growing line that they haven't received any shipments, until about... 11:30am or so, when the manager came out with the news, and everyone rejoiced.

:p :apple:

Persistence pays off!

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
So I ordered my iPhone 4 online with Virgin Mobile. I still haven't received an email to notify of the phone's shippment. However, I've got the web order number.

I'm wondering if it's possible to call Virgin and ask them to cancel if I can get one today from the store. Also, I'm a new customer, so I actually choose my plan online as well.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
So I ordered my iPhone 4 online with Virgin Mobile. I still haven't received an email to notify of the phone's shippment. However, I've got the web order number.

I'm wondering if it's possible to call Virgin and ask them to cancel if I can get one today from the store. Also, I'm a new customer, so I actually choose my plan online as well.

No matter what store i talked to, telus/rogers/bell/virgin/t-booth/wireless wave. The answer that is that there wont be any iphones until the end of the month (~3 weeks) with any real stock. That answer is coming from REPS over the phone, the stores all themselves are saying that.. Even then it depends what they get so some of us will get lucky on that shipment and the majority will get lucky come 3rd shippment probably like mid/end september.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
No matter what store i talked to, telus/rogers/bell/virgin/t-booth/wireless wave. The answer that i conclude is that there wont be any iphones until the end of the month (~3 weeks) with any real stock. That answer is coming from REPS over the phone, the stores themselves are saying that.. Even then it depends what they get so some of us will get lucky on that shipment and the majority will get lucky come 3rd shippment probably like mid/end september.

if you really want an iphone, apple store is the place to go. They seem to get shipment a few times per week, so you might get lucky

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
if you really want an iphone, apple store is the place to go. They seem to get shipment a few times per week, so you might get lucky

Closest store is 5-6hours away.. I want an iphone4 pretty darn bad.. but im not following this hype machine thats in overdrive right now.

Im gonna pick up some cheap phone on kijiji and use that until this chaos calms down and a phone can be picked up normally or ordered.

I dont understand how people have time standing in line for 3-4hours a day.. Im guessing their high up in their job so they can just afford to not work for 3-4hours but still be able to foot the phone bill every month.. I can go stand in line for a day.. but it seems like people have to do it day in day out.. About 90% of the people have 8-5 jobs and they cant run around town looking, thats why rogers should do a pre-order list so everything would be done in fashion.. Once they get the phone go down the list and this way atleast id know i was on a "formal" list..

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
No matter what store i talked to, telus/rogers/bell/virgin/t-booth/wireless wave. The answer that is that there wont be any iphones until the end of the month (~3 weeks) with any real stock. That answer is coming from REPS over the phone, the stores all themselves are saying that.. Even then it depends what they get so some of us will get lucky on that shipment and the majority will get lucky come 3rd shippment probably like mid/end september.

not sure if its helpful for you, but nearly all Bell stores will be getting some stock anywhere from this saturday to monday

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada

I'm pissed because I missed my chance to get an iPhone last Tuesday from Virgin. I had called and the woman told me she had a 16 GB left... and she was willing to hold it for me if I dropped by the store quickly enough. I told her I might stop by later on that day, but not to keep it.

I was with Bell, and they wouldn't give me a decent plan even being without a contract, so I ultimately decided to switch with Virgin (I know, Bell owns it). Before I knew it, the phone had been sold about 10 minutes after I called. Anyways, that's why I just made the order online. I'm guessing I'll end up having to wait 2-3 weeks before I get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.