Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magrat22

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maternity leave. It's the only reason I had the kid, really. ;)

Lmao, is your kid called Apple....ooh or MACkenzie :p They should rename your Mat leave to MAC leave. Okay sorry I'll shut up now..couldn't resist.

I went back to school just to be able to have summers off so I can queue up to get the phone ;).

Beaver Syrup

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Technically not true. It is assigned/locked to a carrier at the point of sale based on which carrier you do an upgrade with or which/how a sim card is assigned to the purchase.

Also, even an unlocked iphone needs a sim inside it do do activation.

I only learned this after seeing a bit of a mess of some people who thought they purchased unlocked iPhone 4's last week only to find out they were locked ones because of the way the apple employee processed the purchase.

What you're saying contradicts Apple policy.

According to Apple Canada FAQ:
Does iPhone work with any SIM card or carrier worldwide?

iPhone 3GS works with SIM cards and iPhone 4 works with micro-SIM cards from compatible carriers, including prepaid cards.

I tried that myself. I bought unlocked iPhone 4 and activated it, transferring my Fido prepaid account to iPh 4. What I also tested is using the same card with my old unlocked phone. Worked like a champ.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
What you're saying contradicts Apple policy.

According to Apple Canada FAQ:
Does iPhone work with any SIM card or carrier worldwide?

iPhone 3GS works with SIM cards and iPhone 4 works with micro-SIM cards from compatible carriers, including prepaid cards.

I tried that myself. I bought unlocked iPhone 4 and activated it, transferring my Fido prepaid account to iPh 4. What I also tested is using the same card with my old unlocked phone. Worked like a champ.

How does what I'm saying contradict Apple?

Yes, you can buy an iPhone unlocked. What I'm saying is the phone's ability to stay unlocked or locked after activation is set during the point of sale based on how the purchase is being handled. Myself and many others purchased unlocked units on launch day. A few people I know found out afterwards that although they purchased supposedly unlocked iPhone 4s for $659+tax that they are locked. This happened because of the way the Apple store employee processed the purchase (specifically related to how the free sim card was scanned during the purchase).

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto
Lmao, is your kid called Apple....ooh or MACkenzie :p They should rename your Mat leave to MAC leave. Okay sorry I'll shut up now..couldn't resist.

I went back to school just to be able to have summers off so I can queue up to get the phone ;).

He's a boy, so I named him Steve, OF COURSE. ;)

Kane Hart

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
What is with this bull that Rogers tells us? I never heard of such crap in my life and now they lie and in fact edit it twice to state clearly Saturday more limited stock..

morelying.png

http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/iphone-4-launches-tomorrow-on-rogers/comment-page-4/#comments

Is that legal to lie? First as far as I know Rogers uses UPS and they don't have it on weekends...

Illegal lol?

I called a dozen stores and went to another half a dozen and not one Rogers has EVER had shipping on a Saturday. Now they said they have had something in the past say they get it Friday and they sell it Saturday but this was not the case and all their packages were opened for the day and they have not gotten 1 iPhone since the release.

Only place that has gotten them was Virgin Mobiles they spread their stock around more since some stores had many and not sold them yet.

yyc-connection

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
so depending on whether or not marketmall will have stock in sunday sometime (probably not), looks like i'll be waiting until next week to grab myself a 16gb.

for those who bought from marketmall - where is the 'official' lineup for the apple store before the mall doors open?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
What tests were done to determine that they became locked?

Do you really have to ask that question? We placed a sim card from another carrier into the "unlocked" iPhone and it didn't work. We found out when a friend of mine who bought unlocked stopped by apple few days ago and a very knowledgeable apple employee could tell just from the receipt that the iphones were not unlocked.

I posted about this few pages back in the thread, and linked to long thread about the issue that I started at hofo.

Maybe you should read a little more carefully before signing up on a forum just to reply to something that you don't fully understand.

Kane Hart

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Called around no stock at any rogers stores... Go figure like this was ever going to be real... I knew they were scamming us again with lies.. I bet many people are going to the stores today to be told no and I bet your still a Rogers Customer after the day is done....

morelying.png

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Called around no stock at any rogers stores... Go figure like this was ever going to be real... I knew they were scamming us again with lies.. I bet many people are going to the stores today to be told no and I bet your still a Rogers Customer after the day is done....

morelying.png
I'm sure people will be leaving Rogers just because a certain phone is sold out

/s

Xaximus

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I don't get off work until 3:30 today... what are my chances of finding a 32GB iPhone 4 for Rogers in the GTA?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
What is with this bull that Rogers tells us? I never heard of such crap in my life and now they lie and in fact edit it twice to state clearly Saturday more limited stock..

morelying.png

http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/iphone-4-launches-tomorrow-on-rogers/comment-page-4/#comments

Is that legal to lie? First as far as I know Rogers uses UPS and they don't have it on weekends...

Illegal lol?

I called a dozen stores and went to another half a dozen and not one Rogers has EVER had shipping on a Saturday. Now they said they have had something in the past say they get it Friday and they sell it Saturday but this was not the case and all their packages were opened for the day and they have not gotten 1 iPhone since the release.

Only place that has gotten them was Virgin Mobiles they spread their stock around more since some stores had many and not sold them yet.

look at what time that post was made.

245pm

UPS could have easily shipped it anytime after that...

ALSO, company's can make shipping exceptions with the courier.

and how do you know they ship UPS? do you work for them?

stop jumping to conclusions.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Regarding Rogers shipments for Saturday.... I know that Bell received new stock over the past few day and were doing many rush shipments to all of the Bell stores, most for Saturday delivery. Now obviously Bell is not Rogers, but if that was posted on Rogers redboard then there may be some truth to it if all carriers received stock from Apple recently.

Beaver Syrup

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Do you really have to ask that question? We placed a sim card from another carrier into the "unlocked" iPhone and it didn't work. We found out when a friend of mine who bought unlocked stopped by apple few days ago and a very knowledgeable apple employee could tell just from the receipt that the iphones were not unlocked.

I posted about this few pages back in the thread, and linked to long thread about the issue that I started at hofo.

Maybe you should read a little more carefully before signing up on a forum just to reply to something that you don't fully understand.

I asked this question to know exactly what your information is based upon. What's wrong with that?

Unfortunately, from what you're saying I can't determine if your tests were accurate, i.e. if you used the SIM card from unlocked iPhone on another unlocked iPh, and on what carriers.

Also, I asked this question as you seem to not understand the Apple Unlocked Iphone policy. Because based on your statements, unlocked Iphone 4s do not work on all compatible networks, which is a clear violation of that policy.

It's a serious matter, as many people bought iPhones at full price exactly to have a freedom to switch to any compatible network.

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I tried the Rogers Plus store here in the Beaches Toronto this morning and they did not get any for sale today. I guess it is possible that they might receive some later in the day, but they didn't have any for the six of us in line at opening.:(

Beaver Syrup

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I read about your "tests" on Hofo. You tried to used SIM card from unlocked iPhone 4 on a Telus iPhone. Since you apparently work in this industry, you should be aware that Telus doesn't have unlocked iPhones. So, why should it work? Of course, it shouldn't.

Although it's a Macrumors forum, but the rumors should be based on some serious evidence, otherwise they become disinformation.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I asked this question to know exactly what your information is based upon. What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that? Well you would think the first way a person would test a phone's unlocked status is by trying sim cards from different carriers... let alone that I've commented on this before.

Unfortunately, from what you're saying I can't determine if your tests were accurate, i.e. if you used the SIM card from unlocked iPhone on another unlocked iPh, and on what carriers.

What? Are you absolutely confused? How could a simple test not be accurate? A friend purchased an unlocked iPhone. A second trip to the Apple store regarding a different issue resulted in a (very knowledgeable) Apple rep informing him that the iPhone was not unlocked - based on the info he saw on the receipt - The initial purchase was incorrectly processed by the Apple employee resulting in the sale of a Rogers locked iPhone. He tested a Telus and Bell sim card on this supposedly unlocked iPhone and neither would would work.

Also, I asked this question as you seem to not understand the Apple Unlocked Iphone policy. Because based on your statements, unlocked Iphone 4s do not work on all compatible networks, which is a clear violation of that policy.

It's a serious matter, as many people bought iPhones at full price exactly to have a freedom to switch to any compatible network.

I fully understand understand the method in which Apple sells unlocked iPhones. You should read my first post regarding it. I actually started a thread regarding this at hofo, maybe you should check it out for more details.

And yes, it's a very serious matter, because there may be many people who went to apple to purchase an unlocked iPhone and may not yet realize that it could be locked.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Well, I read about your "tests" on Hofo. You tried to used SIM card from unlocked iPhone 4 on a Telus iPhone. Since you apparently work in this industry, you should be aware that Telus doesn't have unlocked iPhones. So, why should it work? Of course, it shouldn't.

Wow, you really don't understand. Are you saying a Telus sim card should not work in an unlocked iPhone?? You truly do not understand this. Do you even understand the concept of a sim card?

He thought he purchased an unlocked iPhone. Currently using it with a Rogers sim card. How does one test if it is unlocked? You try a sim card from another provider. He placed a telus sim card inside, and it didnt work, period. Do you understand this test yet?

Although it's a Macrumors forum, but the rumors should be based on some serious evidence, otherwise they become disinformation.

This is clear evidence. Whether you understand it or not is your problem.

Kane Hart

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
look at what time that post was made.

245pm

UPS could have easily shipped it anytime after that...

ALSO, company's can make shipping exceptions with the courier.

and how do you know they ship UPS? do you work for them?

stop jumping to conclusions.

Yo rogers fanboy.. They are a Corporation. They need to earn my trust before I care what the hell you or other Rogers faboys think..

I bet this nice blowing out of the ass speech will look good for me then you later on. My experience with rogers says they will not have them in today.

Beaver Syrup

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
What's wrong with that? Well you would think the first way a person would test a phone's unlocked status is by trying sim cards from different carriers... let alone that I've commented on this before.

What? Are you absolutely confused? How could a simple test not be accurate? A friend purchased an unlocked iPhone. A second trip to the Apple store regarding a different issue resulted in a (very knowledgeable) Apple rep informing him that the iPhone was not unlocked - based on the info he saw on the receipt - The initial purchase was incorrectly processed by the Apple employee resulting in the sale of a Rogers locked iPhone. He tested a Telus and Bell sim card on this supposedly unlocked iPhone and neither would would work.

I fully understand understand the method in which Apple sells unlocked iPhones. You should read my first post regarding it. I actually started a thread regarding this at hofo, maybe you should check it out for more details.

And yes, it's a very serious matter, because there may be many people who went to apple to purchase an unlocked iPhone and may not yet realize that it could be locked.
Yeah. I just read my post. It's a confusing. Sorry. I didn't describe your tests properly. What you actually did is use Telus/Bell SIM cards with unlocked iPhones.

Here's what I really meant:

Telus/Bell SIM card may not properly work in the new iPhone, since Telus and Bell are not GSM providers. They are CDMA. Plus they are notorious for locking their equipment in any way possible. They may install on their SIM cards some kinks that prevent them to work with other operators. Surely, they support HSPA 3G frequencies, that are compatible with iPhone 4, but I wouldn't trust them. So, still it's not proper test. Proper tests would be to use unlocked Canadian iPhone with other GSM providers. I will try to use Rogers card when my friend buys new iPhone, but still those tests are not 100% accurate as well, as my iPh 4 uses Fido (same company).

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Yeah. I just read my post. It's a confusing. Sorry. I didn't describe your tests properly. What you actually did is use Telus/Bell SIM cards with unlocked iPhones.

Here's what I really meant:

Telus/Bell SIM card may not properly work in the new iPhone, since Telus and Bell are not GSM providers. They are CDMA. Plus they are notorious for locking their equipment in any way possible. They may install on their SIM cards some kinks that prevent them to work with other operators. Surely, they support HSPA 3G frequencies, that are compatible with iPhone 4, but I wouldn't trust them. So, still it's not proper test. Proper tests would be to use unlocked Canadian iPhone with other GSM providers. I will try to use Rogers card when my friend buys new iPhone, but still those tests are not 100% accurate as well, as my iPh 4 uses Fido (same company).

You're still totally wrong. Telus and Bell are HSPA providers for 3G, just like Rogers is an HSPA provider for 3G. I'm afraid you are just clueless, there is no reason not to "trust" them.

Ryvius819

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
When doing HUP in store, do they make you open it on the spot to set up the phone or can I just leave with the phone unopened? I want to wait till my screen protector and skins to arrive before using it.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
When doing HUP in store, do they make you open it on the spot to set up the phone or can I just leave with the phone unopened? I want to wait till my screen protector and skins to arrive before using it.

They make you open and activate it, but they wont make you remove the plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.