Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Yeah, they're finally filling in the lineup. I love the Q5, even though it is getting a little old. They are everywhere in Boston. So popular.
Yes! Q5's are everywhere and I feel like i know people buying them right and left. I may be impatient but the A4/A5/Q5/Q7's interiors all seem very dated, especially the Q7. The Q7 dash goes back to the old '04 A6, right? I would have though that the it would have received the A6/A7/A8 style dashboard with popup LCD by now. The dash of the A4/A5/Q5 also seems almost equally as tired. That does not mean I want Audi to hop onboard the "fake iPad/Tablet" stuck on the dashboard motif like their German friends. I imagine the redesign will be much like the A6/A7/A8 dash style which I like a lot. I am curious if that low flat dash style will be compatible with the architecture of the Q's though since SUV's typically have more upright dashboards. While certianly not dated, A3 interior is bizarre. There is really "something missing" in there . The center dash is "awkward" for a lack of an equally consice statement.

The T3 never had any of these cool options in the US. VW used to offer all the off-road tech on the T1 and T2, but watered the whole thing down with the T3 launch. Honestly, I like the Touareg, but it makes zero sense out there. Why would I buy a VW SUV, when I can get a BMW X5 or Mercedes ML for a little bit more.
It's interesting how the T1 had tons of revolutionary features and options- remember that V10 TDI? Absolutely ridiculous! There was tons of tech packed into that car that never evolved either. Another great feature was for the most part you could get any option irregardless of the engine choice. As you know, more often then not, more/better features you want require you have to buy the bigger engine. V6 with nav and air suspension- not an issue. Then the T2 came along, dropped not only V10 TDI (ok it wasn't the top seller and it had legal issues in Cali) but also they also dropped V8 option, which I would bet sold at nearly if not as well at the V6. VW also took out the real wood trim 99% of the T1's came with and instead have 99% of the T2's have no trim, just rubberized plastic. A lot of the tech options disappeared and I don't think any major developments were made. I'm not even sure if they upgraded the admittedly garbage navigation system that was considered to be the worst on the market. Now the T3 rolls around- leather is now an option, but oddly for 2015 xenons are standard. A $67,000:eek: hybrid is offered but costs $15,000 more than the TDI which already gets 4mpg better than the hybrid. The TDI still costs $8,000 more than the V6. So real world power- the T3 goes 0-60: 7.8sec in the V6, 6.7 in the TDI, and 5.9 in the Hybrid. It seems ridiculous VW even wasted time and money on the hybrid. Are forgetting to advertise some giant tax incentives? VAG's problem is too much convolution and competition between the Q5, Q7, Touareg, and the Cayenne. This problem wasn't evident before the release of the Q7 (and Q5 obviously) when it was only the Touareg and Cayenne since there was a pretty substantial buffer between the two.

As I mentioned before when my residency ends I'd like to trade/sell my BMW for a number of reasons but primarily because I would prefer the utility of an SUV. Unfortunately the weather this year is continuously reminding me. I'm really infatuated with the Touareg TDI. I just fear what corners VW has decided to cut with this revision to continue their efficiency game. At least the poor resale value remains consistent between the revisions and since I'll likely be buying used it may be a good thing. Touaregs are rare in general and used options are very limited.

And then I consider the Q5. I believe the Q5 is an well designed, attractive , and excellently executed car. My problem with it is it just seems to feminine. Like the Lexus RX level of feminine. That and it might be slightly smaller than what I'm looking for. Even throwing on black wheels (which I abhor) somehow makes them look even more feminine. I'm not sure if they still offer the "off-road package" but it gave the Q5 a much more masculine feel adding the Allroad styling cues of plastic fender flares and stainless steel "underbody protection" (who knows how much protection...) visible around the bumpers.

It's baffling that right now Audi is one of the top rated luxury brands in reliability and VW is one of the worst rated brands. I really wish VW would reconsider trying to produce the cheapest car possible without ruining the quality. Not just the clearly visible and tangible quality, but also reliability which VW has suffered with for almost 2 decades(?, at least since ~2000). My mom had an original 2001 Audi Allroad back in the day and it was the worst car she has ever owned in terms of reliability by far. If Audi can go from being at the bottom of the ratings to the top, VW is certainly capable of making some improvements.

Of course, if you want a smaller Q7, VAG also sells the more luxurious Cayenne.
The Cayenne is another fantasticly engineering achievement. I've driven and ridden in the original generation Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo and they're amazing. That said, they're expensive, even more expensive to fix, not that great looking (honestly I think the Touareg has always been the best looking between the Cayenne and Q7), and really if I wanted a sporty car, I would buy a car, not an SUV pretending to be one.

Probably never happening. The Cayenne competes better with the RR/RRS due to the increased luxury and the availability of off-road tech
Yes, I suppose I can dream. Audi has never made a "truck" before and I don't see them moving in that direction. And sadly, car-based pseudo SUV's are the future.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Volvos aren't bad, but the prices they ask for them are ridiculous. Not to mention, they've had historically bad resale and reliability. I've been looking at replacements for my X5 and stumbled upon the new XC90. It looks great. I built a top-spec model online and it was nearly $70k. For that much, why would I buy a Volvo? I'd spend a little bit more and buy a Cayenne at that point.

I personally would have not bought a Volvo Wagon. The sticker prices on Volvos are quite high and their resale isn't great. We've had pretty good luck with reliability, better than any other Euro cars we've owned. I can't imagine people pay anything close to the sticker price on them, but I could be wrong. Back where my parents live Volvos are surprisingly popular. My parents good friends own a dealership chain with 2 Volvo dealers, so I imagine they worked out a good deal, especially considering they bought the T6 over the 3.2.

My mom has owned a three other Volvos and I guess she likes them. I guess the selling point for her is safety, functionality, good winter driving ability, good ride, spacious wagon interior, and luxury feel without being ostentatious. It also lets them fulfill the Volvo driving Jew stereotype. I'm shocked to see that the XC70 T6 AWD get 17 city/23 highway/20 combined fuel economy, pretty terrible. I haven't seen or driven it yet.

The new XC90 looks beautiful in pictures. I'd be hesitant to buy some of these new drivetrain setups i.e. FWD supercharged + turbocharged tiny 4cyl with an electric RWD motor. Sounds a little crazy and complicated. The the top end price looks a little unrealistic for competitive buyers. I'm not sure what my parents paid and exactly all the features it has but comes out to ~$52,000. More than what I would pay.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I love Audis - and my next car will realistically be an A4/S4 (or maybe S3 but Haldex...ehhhh).

But MAN half the lineup is terribly outdated.

A4, A5, Q5, TT, R8 - all hella old platforms and severely dated interiors. Still top quality in terms of materials, but god look inside an A4 and the ergonomics scream 2005. I realize all these cars finally have new platforms around the corner, but man - a year ago when I got out of my '13 Jetta SEL I looked hard at a '14 A4 quattro, because I still think the outside looks good (and I actually prefer to get cars towards the end of their body style since they look the best of that particular body style and won't look like crap compared to a mid cycle refresh like when you buy early in a body style). I would've had no problem with a '14 A4 knowing the B9 is around the corner in '16, but then I'd look at that interior and instantly was taken back to 2005 and I just couldn't do it.

Decided then that I still had time to get one more fun car before needing a family hauler so I grabbed a '14 Brembo 5.0 and will be in the market for a B9.5 A4/S4 a few years from now. I love the clean and contemporary interior of the new A3, and actually hope to see something really fresh like that (or what's in the new TT with the sweet nav in the gauge cluster) in the B9 A4. Until then, I'm having a blast with 420 hp of RWD fun.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Audis are beautiful, but I would go bimmer or Merc to get RWD standard. Quattro is stupid in Texas and "Front-track" FWD is horse crap.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Audis are beautiful, but I would go bimmer or Merc to get RWD standard. Quattro is stupid in Texas and "Front-track" FWD is horse crap.

Yeah I wish Audis were RWD with quattro as the option. I would never buy a FWD Audi - my Jetta was the only FWD car I've ever had and that didn't last long, always had RWD. Quattro would be my first AWD car, but I think Audi does AWD the best. After driving so carefully in winter for so long I don't think AWD would give me any more confidence, tbh - I'm sure I'd still drive just as cautiously as I do right now.

Been driving RWD through 16 MN winters with no problems, I got stuck one time and needed a push when I was 17 and never again since...unless you count the time with my Jetta where I got stuck exiting a touchless carwash as I was slowly going through the blow dryer at the exit and the front wheels were on the sheer ice outside the wash. I wouldn't have gotten stuck with a RWD car. :rolleyes:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I have a question. My mother just got a new ES350 today. It's beautiful car.
Does 2015 Lexus ES350 Bluetooth works well with the iphone 6 and iphone 6 plus?

Does linking your iphone via Bluetooth to your car does it doing drain down your car battery faster?

Now I'm thinking about getting the ES 350 I instead of the Toyota camry. I'm just thinking.
Thank you

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston

Does linking your iphone via Bluetooth to your car does it doing drain down your car battery faster?

Now I'm thinking about getting the ES 350 I instead of the Toyota camry. I'm just thinking.
Thank you

I'm not sure about the new BT in the ES350 but my mom's 2009, the previous generation was garbage. It was 100% voice controlled so all the programming was a nightmare. I imagine the new BT is fine and integrates the phonebook or Siri. So I can't really answer that question.

BT should not substantially effect your car battery unless you sit with the engine turned off (the the accessory power on) for hours and hours on end talking on the phone through the car. When the car is completely shut off the car does not transmit bluetooth.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I'm not sure about the new BT in the ES350 but my mom's 2009, the previous generation was garbage. It was 100% voice controlled so all the programming was a nightmare. I imagine the new BT is fine and integrates the phonebook or Siri. So I can't really answer that question.

BT should not substantially effect your car battery unless you sit with the engine turned off (the the accessory power on) for hours and hours on end talking on the phone through the car. When the car is completely shut off the car does not transmit bluetooth.

Thanks

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Thank you

My father has a newer Toyota from 2013 and the BT works perfectly with it. His has entune. Works with my iPhone 6+ and his 5.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Drove a Tesla P85D on Saturday. Holy torque, batman. :eek:

They closed off a huge parking lot and had a course setup for us. The Tesla guy drove it once to demonstrate the insane mode first. It literally felt like a roller coaster, never felt anything close in a car before and I've driven a F430 and Formula Ford on a track, and a sat in a Gallardo going +250 km/h on a highway. When it was my turn, I floored it but I let off a bit around 90km/h since I didn't want to crash it. :p

I'm actually pricing an "inventory" 60 kWh from them right now since they just sold one last week for a huge discount. One can hope. :D

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Drove a Tesla P85D on Saturday. Holy torque, batman. :eek:

They closed off a huge parking lot and had a course setup for us. The Tesla guy drove it once to demonstrate the insane mode first. It literally felt like a roller coaster, never felt anything close in a car before and I've driven a F430 and Formula Ford on a track, and a sat in a Gallardo going +250 km/h on a highway. When it was my turn, I floored it but I let off a bit around 90km/h since I didn't want to crash it. :p

I'm actually pricing an "inventory" 60 kWh from them right now since they just sold one last week for a huge discount. One can hope. :D

Anyone with a license can test drive a P85D at a Tesla dealer, right? Am considering taking the trip just to experience an early Tesla.

----------

Speaking of electric cars, it is crazy how little fanfare the BMW i3 received until the Super Bowl commercial. Sure, Tesla is coming out with a $35,000 electric car in two years but for those that don't want to wait an all-electric BMW is available for $40,000. The main downfall of the BMW i3 though is the 80-mile range and lack of charging stations. If they could double or triple that they would double or triple their i3 sales.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Anyone with a license can test drive a P85D at a Tesla dealer, right? Am considering taking the trip just to experience an early Tesla.

----------

Speaking of electric cars, it is crazy how little fanfare the BMW i3 received until the Super Bowl commercial. Sure, Tesla is coming out with a $35,000 electric car in two years but for those that don't want to wait an all-electric BMW is available for $40,000. The main downfall of the BMW i3 though is the 80-mile range and lack of charging stations. If they could double or triple that they would double or triple their i3 sales.

Sign up to their email list and they do have events listed on their site. That's how I got to drive it. I for sure can't afford a P85D. I'm working with one of the advisors on a "deal" for a 60kWh though. They sold one for under $60,000. :eek: It's all over Tesla forum but that's one off, I'm sure.

http://my.teslamotors.com/events

I did test drive a i3 a few months back, it's a lot better than I thought, but it drives more like a Honda than a BMW. I would never buy one without the extender and you are looking at close to $50,000. Also, the i3 is just plain ugly.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Sign up to their email list and they do have events listed on their site. That's how I got to drive it. I for sure can't afford a P85D. I'm working with one of the advisors on a "deal" for a 60kWh though. They sold one for under $60,000. :eek: It's all over Tesla forum but that's one off, I'm sure.

http://my.teslamotors.com/events

I did test drive a i3 a few months back, it's a lot better than I thought, but it drives more like a Honda than a BMW. I would never buy one without the extender and you are looking at close to $50,000. Also, the i3 is just plain ugly.

Thanks for letting me know about the events. None local but will keep checking. The Model S is on back order so I doubt we'll see people get such amazing deals again.

The i3 looks plain futuristic in my opinion. Like the poor man's exotic.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks for letting me know about the events. None local but will keep checking. The Model S is on back order so I doubt we'll see people get such amazing deals again.

The i3 looks plain futuristic in my opinion. Like the poor man's exotic.

It's an "inventory" car, meaning they are loaners, demos, showroom cars etc. but sold and warranty as new.

I'm sure you can test drive the car at the dealer, they are not out to sell you the car since they don't make commission off of you, but promote the brand.

I requested to test drive a 60kWh and the advisor said they only give out 85kWh for test drives at the dealer. I might take up his offer to see how RWD drives in the snow.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
It's an "inventory" car, meaning they are loaners, demos, showroom cars etc. but sold and warranty as new.

I'm sure you can test drive the car at the dealer, they are not out to sell you the car since they don't make commission off of you, but promote the brand.

I requested to test drive a 60kWh and the advisor said they only give out 85kWh for test drives at the dealer. I might take up his offer to see how RWD drives in the snow.

It has some excellent reviews from owners about performance in snow.

In my opinion the only downside of the Model S right now is that it just doesn't look like a $70k-$100k+ car. Interior is barren and that exterior would probably look good in a sub-$50k model but I would prefer more luxury for the high price point.

That being said the closest I am to owning a Tesla right now is the $1,000 of stock I just bought ;).

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yes! Q5's are everywhere and I feel like i know people buying them right and left. I may be impatient but the A4/A5/Q5/Q7's interiors all seem very dated, especially the Q7. The Q7 dash goes back to the old '04 A6, right? I would have though that the it would have received the A6/A7/A8 style dashboard with popup LCD by now. The dash of the A4/A5/Q5 also seems almost equally as tired. That does not mean I want Audi to hop onboard the "fake iPad/Tablet" stuck on the dashboard motif like their German friends. I imagine the redesign will be much like the A6/A7/A8 dash style which I like a lot.
It's crazy how popular the Q5 is around Boston. The dealers aren't even discounting them too. They go for near MSRP.

All of those models you said A4/A5/Q5/Q7 are all being replacement within the next 12 months. B9 A4/5 are coming out late 2015 and the new Q7 is due by year-end too. They already showed pictures. All new interior style and it has all LCD gauges, which is slick. New Q5 should be out early next year. That's not top priority right now... especially since the Q5 is still selling like hotcakes.

It's interesting how the T1 had tons of revolutionary features and options- remember that V10 TDI? Absolutely ridiculous!
My buddy's father owns one of the last V10 TDI T2s made. Still has it. I got a chance to drive it recently and it is just a beast. What's interesting is that it's not that much "faster" than my X5 diesel with its twin-turbo I6. It does tow so much more though. Even the V6 TDI in the T3 is fantastic as well.

There was tons of tech packed into that car that never evolved either. Another great feature was for the most part you could get any option irregardless of the engine choice. As you know, more often then not, more/better features you want require you have to buy the bigger engine. V6 with nav and air suspension- not an issue.
I think this is one of the better things about the German makes. They let you option everything up on every engine. A 2.0T Q5 can have the same toys as the 3.0T model. A Macan S can have all the toys of the Turbo, minus the more powerful engine.

Then the T2 came along, dropped not only V10 TDI (ok it wasn't the top seller and it had legal issues in Cali)
We couldn't get the V10 TDI around here in the Northeast. There was a period when only New Hampshire sold diesels and they were NOT allowed to sell them to VT/ME/MA customers because we weren't allowed to register new diesels in the state. The work around was to buy them "used." I wanted a diesel VW for the longest time... finally happened when the AdBlue systems become mainstream and the Germans sold them nationwide.

Back then, VW/MB dealers in Mass and Maine (the only two brands with diesels at that point) would cherry-pick used diesels from auctions and jack up the prices. Funny thing is that they'd still sell quickly. I'm so glad they can't pull that crap anymore. Diesels are super popular in the Northeast now, which is great!

A $67,000:eek: hybrid is offered but costs $15,000 more than the TDI which already gets 4mpg better than the hybrid. The TDI still costs $8,000 more than the V6. So real world power- the T3 goes 0-60: 7.8sec in the V6, 6.7 in the TDI, and 5.9 in the Hybrid. It seems ridiculous VW even wasted time and money on the hybrid. Are forgetting to advertise some giant tax incentives? VAG's problem is too much convolution and competition between the Q5, Q7, Touareg, and the Cayenne. This problem wasn't evident before the release of the Q7 (and Q5 obviously) when it was only the Touareg and Cayenne since there was a pretty substantial buffer between the two.
Bingo. The T3 Hybrid is a monster. I drove that and the TDI model when I was buying my X5d a few years ago. I was down to the Touareg and the X5. the T3 hybrid is so fast on full-boost, but the price is ridiculous and every VW dealer is NOT certified to work on them, which is ridiculous. I honestly don't understand why they even sell the Touareg here. There's no reason for it. I love the looks, but what's the point? A well-equipped one is about the same price as a Q5 and a little less than a X5/Q7. This is what happened to me. A top- Exec TDI T3 was about $2-3k less than the equivalent X5d. I went with the BMW because of the better badge, driving dynamics, dealer experience, and included maintenance.

I think they've finally figured out how to separate the Q5, Q7, Macan, and Cayenne. The Porsche models are almost always $10-15k more than the equivalent Audi. A loaded Macan S is more expensive than a top spec Prestige Q7 TDI.

As I mentioned before when my residency ends I'd like to trade/sell my BMW for a number of reasons but primarily because I would prefer the utility of an SUV. Unfortunately the weather this year is continuously reminding me. I'm really infatuated with the Touareg TDI. I just fear what corners VW has decided to cut with this revision to continue their efficiency game. At least the poor resale value remains consistent between the revisions and since I'll likely be buying used it may be a good thing. Touaregs are rare in general and used options are very limited.

Poor resale is one of the major reasons why I didn't get the T3 a few years ago. However, if you can find a CPO T3 TDI, it's a great buy. Especially in this weather. Living in the Northeast has forced me to reconsider what I can really drive on a daily basis. I've come to the conclusion, I'll only drive AWD around here. I lived in the Northeast my whole life. FWD/RWD + snows work, but there is simply no replacement for ground clearance and power going to the ground.

And then I consider the Q5. I believe the Q5 is an well designed, attractive , and excellently executed car. My problem with it is it just seems to feminine. Like the Lexus RX level of feminine. That and it might be slightly smaller than what I'm looking for. Even throwing on black wheels (which I abhor) somehow makes them look even more feminine. I'm not sure if they still offer the "off-road package" but it gave the Q5 a much more masculine feel adding the Allroad styling cues of plastic fender flares and stainless steel "underbody protection" (who knows how much protection...) visible around the bumpers.

I agree. The Q5 is such a fantastic car, but it's just too feminine for me too. I like the BMW X3 also, but I'm not sure it is better than the Q5. The only masculine choice is the Porsche Macan, but the price is eye-watering, and it's tiny inside.

If Audi can go from being at the bottom of the ratings to the top, VW is certainly capable of making some improvements.
VW needs to get their crap together, like Audi has. The current Jetta and Passat are piles of trash compared to the outgoing models. The "american" Jetta and Passat suck. Simple as that. We need the Euro models back.

The Cayenne is another fantasticly engineering achievement. I've driven and ridden in the original generation Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo and they're amazing. That said, they're expensive, even more expensive to fix, not that great looking (honestly I think the Touareg has always been the best looking between the Cayenne and Q7), and really if I wanted a sporty car, I would buy a car, not an SUV pretending to be one.

Valid point, but after this winter, I've come to the conclusion, I would never DD a "sporty" car in Mass. The roads are junk in the Spring/winter, but then Summer and Fall are too short to just own a sports car. Hell, even though my S7 is "sporty" and "fast," I still can't drive it all the time. The pot-holes on Storrow and around Cambridge will trash my wheels within minutes and the ice banks with ruin my front lip/rear bumper.

The closest we can get to a "sporty" SUV is the Porsche Macan. They've done a fantastic job on it. My dream car is a Cayman with turbos and AWD, similar to a 911 Turbo, but midengined and smaller... but that's never happened. Guess I will have to settle with a Macan soon...

Yes, I suppose I can dream. Audi has never made a "truck" before and I don't see them moving in that direction. And sadly, car-based pseudo SUV's are the future.

I've always had a soft spot for the Mercedes G wagon though.

The new XC90 looks beautiful in pictures. I'd be hesitant to buy some of these new drivetrain setups i.e. FWD supercharged + turbocharged tiny 4cyl with an electric RWD motor. Sounds a little crazy and complicated. The the top end price looks a little unrealistic for competitive buyers. I'm not sure what my parents paid and exactly all the features it has but comes out to ~$52,000. More than what I would pay.

Yup. They're going to an all-4 banger lineup. No thanks. If I'm buying a large luxury SUV, I want power behind it. A 4 banger will be strained... almost always.

A4, A5, Q5, TT, R8 - all hella old platforms and severely dated interiors. Still top quality in terms of materials, but god look inside an A4 and the ergonomics scream 2005.

All those models are being replaced within the next 12 months. The new TT should be out soon though.

New R8 was teased this week: http://jalopnik.com/2016-audi-r8-will-come-in-540-and-610-hp-v10-flavors-t-1686522875

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What does this have to do anything? Sounds like a trademark Honda fanboy statement, when you've been proved wrong.

Name calling is unnecessary.

And you do know the NSX is widely recognized as the greatest car of its time? They don't have any car magazines in the service department waiting room at your Audi dealership?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
And you do know the NSX is widely recognized as the greatest car of its time? They don't have any car magazines in the service department waiting room at your Audi dealership?

Key word: of its time. No one is questioning the merits of the original NSX. It was a game changer. That was when Acura actually made stand-out products.

It's been almost 25 years since that car. Why are Honda fans stuck in the past? They keep going on and on about how amazing the S2000 and NSX were. Yes, they were. Time to get back to 2015.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Key word: of its time. No one is questioning the merits of the original NSX. It was a game changer. That was when Acura actually made stand-out products.

It's been almost 25 years since that car. Why are Honda fans stuck in the past? They keep going on and on about how amazing the S2000 and NSX were. Yes, they were. Time to get back to 2015.

aaaaaand we're back to how the new NSX is better than the R8 (probably the new one, too) and the TLX is a better value than any of its Audi equivalents.

Say what you want, but you overpay for things people don't value. That's why Acura is still a thing and people drive them. They don't want to waste money on unreliable VWs with leather.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
aaaaaand we're back to how the new NSX is better than the R8 (probably the new one, too) and the TLX is a better value than any of its Audi equivalents.

Say what you want, but you overpay for things people don't value. That's why Acura is still a thing and people drive them. They don't want to waste money on unreliable VWs with leather.

Somebody seems agitated.

I think I have to agree with AutoUnion to an extent. "At the time" was 25 years ago and most people probably don't even know (or remember at this point) what the NSX was.
Calling something the greatest of its time means nothing now considering how fast the automotive industry evolves.

To my knowledge the NSX isn't on the market yet but I would agree it's probably better than a car that was released in 2006, the R8. That's not a surprise. The next generation isn't out yet, so who knows.

I don't think he's disagreeing about the value of the Acura. Acura provides luxury features at a much better price than the Germans. Therefore, a better value. The TSX is good car but it's not the same caliber compared to the German makes. I don't think you can disagree with this if you've ever sat in a German car and then compare it to the TSX. If people didn't value Audis or whatever German car, people wouldn't buy them.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Somebody seems agitated.

I think I have to agree with AutoUnion to an extent. "At the time" was 25 years ago and most people probably don't even know (or remember at this point) what the NSX was.
Calling something the greatest of its time means nothing now considering how fast the automotive industry evolves.

To my knowledge the NSX isn't on the market yet but I would agree it's probably better than a car that was released in 2006, the R8. That's not a surprise. The next generation isn't out yet, so who knows.

I don't think he's disagreeing about the value of the Acura. Acura provides luxury features at a much better price than the Germans. Therefore, a better value. The TSX is good car but it's not the same caliber compared to the German makes. I don't think you can disagree with this if you've ever sat in a German car and then compare it to the TSX. If people didn't value Audis or whatever German car, people wouldn't buy them.

I simply take exception to the idea that Acura should close up shop because they only sell premium Accords. In reality, Acuras are far superior to their Honda counterparts.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL

Actual NSX owners know what the car is and isn't. It's beautiful and well built, but is not a modern car. It deserves much respect for its place in sports car history, but it has been eclipsed by advances in almost every aspect of automotive tech.

Still, I love driving mine every day and there's nothing like pulling into Cars & Coffee on a Saturday morning and seeing so many walk by the modern supercars with barely a glance to come see the old NSX.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My 2014 Explorer XLT 4WD is attached. I just think these look so nice. The styling is a modern take on the traditional SUV. The redesigned 2016 in Platinum trim is beautiful compared to a lot of the hunchbacked crossovers that everyone seems to be building these days.

I hate how the new Land/Range Rover lineup looks like the Ford Explorers. All the new generation Land Rovers look nearly identical now aside from the size (RR, RRS, RRE, DiscoSport, DiscoConcept). When the 2013 Range Rover and 2014 Range Rover Sport came out it took me a little while to figure which was which on the street. Their styling is based off the Range Rover Evoque, which I don't find attractive and it looks nothing like any other previous Land Rover. The soon to be released Land Rover Discovery Sport, looks nearly identical to the Explorer. Why? The guy who designed the concepts did the same for Ford. Clearly this guy has one vision and has created the rare phenomenon of plagiarizing himself. I'll be very interested to see what the next generation Defender has to offer. Apparently it will not look like the dc100 concept they put out thank god.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.