Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Both are fantastic. The Touareg is a little larger and more spacious, whereas the Audi has the better badge and a little smaller inside. Both are available in a diesel, but I'd take the Audi personally... because it comes in the awesome SQ5 variant. The interior on the Audi is slightly better and the in-cabin tech is more up to date too.

Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to check out the Q5. I don't need anything bigger or more spacious. The size of the Q5 is just fine.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Hi Everyone

Is the push start safe for people with a pacemaker? Will it or could it cause someone with a pacemaker any problems?

I Went by the Lexus dealer and the Sales man had recommended getting the ES 350 2015 in the Satin Cashmere with the Parchment color interior. I 'm worried that the light color interior will get dirty quick, which is why I want the black instead because the sun may discolor the leather and it may show dirt easily. Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Hi Everyone

Is the push start safe for people with a pacemaker? Will it or could it cause someone with a pacemaker any problems?

I Went by the Lexus dealer and the Sales man had recommended getting the ES 350 2015 in the Satin Cashmere with the Parchment color interior. I 'm worried that the light color interior will get dirty quick, which is why I want the black instead because the sun may discolor the leather and it may show dirt easily. Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you

What model of pacemaker do you have? I'll talk to my friend in Cardiology (I crack myself up, but I will speak with her).

I would also call the pacemaker manufacturer and see if there are any reported issues. I would imagine these considerations are accounted for by the FDA, FCC, etc but obviously this isn't something you want to make assumptions about.

Light colored leather usually isn't a huge issue but with time (years and years) black looks better. The real problem is the carpet. Light colored carpet is going to get dirty unless you live in the desert. If you live in an area with snow (and therefore salt and sand) it'll be disgusting after the first storm. Rubber mats help, but there's still the carpet that runs along the center console to get dirty.

I'm not sure what the new ES interior looks like specifically, but I imagine being a Lexus/Toyota product if the leather is "parchment" then so is the carpet. If they do black carpet with the tan seats I think that would be a much better option. Plus the contrast makes the interior more interesting. I don't think they offer that though.

I'm a fan of brown leather, I think it looks great. Otherwise I'd say go with black unless you live somewhere with no dirt, rain, or snow.

Last edited:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
What do you guys think of the 2015 Mercedes E-Class?

5524.jpg

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
What model of pacemaker do you have? I'll talk to my friend in Cardiology (I crack myself up, but I will speak with her).

I would also call the pacemaker manufacturer and see if there are any reported issues. I would imagine these considerations are accounted for by the FDA, FCC, etc but obviously this isn't something you want to make assumptions about.

Light colored leather usually isn't a huge issue but with time (years and years) black looks better. The real problem is the carpet. Light colored carpet is going to get dirty unless you live in the desert. If you live in an area with snow (and therefore salt and sand) it'll be disgusting after the first storm. Rubber mats help, but there's still the carpet that runs along the center console to get dirty.

I'm not sure what the new ES interior looks like specifically, but I imagine being a Lexus/Toyota product if the leather is "parchment" then so is the carpet. If they do black carpet with the tan seats I think that would be a much better option. Plus the contrast makes the interior more interesting. I don't think they offer that though.

I'm a fan of brown leather, I think it looks great. Otherwise I'd say go with black unless you live somewhere with no dirt, rain, or snow.

Thank you for asking your friend that works is Cardiology. I appreciate that.
The 2015 Lexus ES 350 is my Mother's car. I'm her daughter. She use still has her old car the Lincoln Town Car from 2000 and on the inside it was a tan color. The Tan leather has be discolored by the sunlight.. She doesn't have a pacemaker. I was just curious if she would ever need one would the push start could cause her any problems.

I agree with you the black interior leather seats and carpet will be better. I live in Houston. It rarely snows here but you just never know where you might travel to by car. The Sales Guy said that the Parchment color on the inside of the Lexus is very classy. I understand that but all I could think about was how dirty leather seats might get from my dark color denim jeans. I'll probably get the black interior and the black all weather rubber floor mats.

I've attached a photo of the interior of this car. There are three interior colors black, parchment and gray.

Below is the Parchment interior color.

Attachments

• ES 350 2015 parchement.jpg
    ES 350 2015 parchement.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 78

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Hi Everyone

Should be fine.

However, I know that on Toyota/Lexus products, you can disable the keyless start feature for those with exactly these health problems. Instead of keeping the key in your pocket, you have to "put" the key next to the start button to start the car. I remember reading about this feature on my old Camry Hybrid.

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/showthread.php?99394-Disabling-Smart-Key-System-in-Camry

Precondition:
Power switch OFF, driver side door closed and unlocked.

(a) Unlock the driver door once with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key.

(b) Open the driver door within 5 seconds.

(c) Unlock the driver side door twice with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key within 5 seconds.

(d) Repeat open -> close twice for the driver door within 30 seconds, and open again.

(Driver door: OPEN -> close -> OPEN -> close -> OPEN)

(e) Unlock the driver door twice with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key within 5 seconds.

(f) Repeat OPEN -> close once for the driver door within 30 seconds, and open again.
(Driver door: OPEN -> close -> OPEN)

(g) Close the driver door within 5 seconds.

When the electrical key cancel is activated, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds TWICE.

To return to the original condition, perform the procedures again. When the original condition is returned, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds ONCE.

----------

Brown leather is beautiful, especially when coupled with a nice metallic blue/black/white exterior!

----------

What do you guys think of the 2015 Mercedes E-Class?

Not bad, but remember that it is months away from being replaced by the next-gen E Class. It is a "couch" of the segment, whereas the 5 series and A6 are far more engaging to drive. That being said, the E is a good car. It feels like a bank vault. I've been browsing the MB forums and people are getting ridiculous deals on them. Thousands under invoice! MB seems to be clearly inventory for the next-gen model, which will have the same gorgeous interior from the new C/S class.

My choices in this segment would be the Audi A6 or BMW 5 series... especially in diesel trims. I'd put the Lexus GS over the E too! However, there is no "bad choice" per say... (the Infiniti M and Acura RLX are the jokes of this segment)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
The Car Thread ... !

Not bad, but remember that it is months away from being replaced by the next-gen E Class. It is a "couch" of the segment, whereas the 5 series and A6 are far more engaging to drive. That being said, the E is a good car. It feels like a bank vault. I've been browsing the MB forums and people are getting ridiculous deals on them. Thousands under invoice! MB seems to be clearly inventory for the next-gen model, which will have the same gorgeous interior from the new C/S class.

My choices in this segment would be the Audi A6 or BMW 5 series... especially in diesel trims. I'd put the Lexus GS over the E too! However, there is no "bad choice" per say... (the Infiniti M and Acura RLX are the jokes of this segment)

2016 is so far away! :)

Thank you for your professional input on this. It's just that I'm looking into replacing my old Mercedes E-Class (W211). I have both the E-Class and C-Class in mind, but the C-Class is very crowded in the back; it's a compact car so that's to be expected. The E is much more spacious. Both are excellent in terms of exterior and interior looks.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

CTS would be my choice in the segment, but I may be a bit biased. :D

I love how it drives and I would want the V-Sport.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia

Thank you for your professional input on this. It's just that I'm looking into replacing my old Mercedes E-Class (W211). I have both the E-Class and C-Class in mind, but the C-Class is very crowded in the back; it's a compact car so that's to be expected. The E is much more spacious. Both are excellent in terms of exterior and interior looks.

The E class interior is very nice, but it's small compared to the 5 series

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

Weren't you dead set on buying that Elephant looking Inifiniti SUV that you were adamant was a complete redesign when it was just a facelift?

You seem to be all over the place.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
The Car Thread ... !

Weren't you dead set on buying that Elephant looking Inifiniti SUV that you were adamant was a complete redesign when it was just a facelift?

You seem to be all over the place.

One is an SUV, the other a sedan. One will be a family car, the other for me. Do you have a problem with that? Do I have to explain every single detail on a public forum?

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
One is an SUV, the other a sedan. One will be a family car, the other for me. Do you have a problem with that? Do I have to explain every single detail on a public forum?

For a family car I'd go with the Q5. Infiniti is huge and gets bad fuel economy. Mercedes is nice, but you don't get the same SUV functionality. I see the Q5 as a good middle ground.

I think he's probably just trying to understand your wants/needs. Car buying can be tough though, you ideally would want a little bit of everything.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
For a family car I'd go with the Q5. Infiniti is huge and gets bad fuel economy. Mercedes is nice, but you don't get the same SUV functionality. I see the Q5 as a good middle ground.

Thank you for the recommendation but the Q5 is too small to be a family car for us.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Impressive! Too bad we'll never be able to buy one in the USA.

Is that still the word-on-the-street?

Just strikes me as odd: the US market seems to be clamoring for a compact performance hatches, Honda hasn't done anything interesting since the S2000, it's not like something that's not as a good fit for the US (like our ongoing snub of diesel vehicles).

I'm not in the market for one, but I think cars like this create a positive net effect for the whole US enthusiast market.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
My Cars

Since this is the vehicle thread....

I thought I would show off mine. Here are a few pictures as well as list of mods plans and problems with said vehicles:

My cars are:

2001 Daewoo Lanos S Sedan
2001 Chevrolet Impala LS

DAEWOO Pictures:

REAR:
19085867.jpg

FRONT:
19085868.jpg

INTERIOR (WITH MODS):
19085870.jpg

Overall interior after mods
19085871.jpg

Mod #1: Red Aluimum Apena Automatic Shift knob with Carbon Fiber trim.
19087621.jpg

19056184.jpg

Garmin Nuvi 1100 GPS Unit complete with 2015 maps. Used mainly to track gas mileage (No longer in this location)

Chevy Impala photos:

FRONT:
19089186.jpg

REAR:
19089190.jpg

INTERIOR:
19086227.jpg

19086228.jpg

19086235.jpg

Magellan Maestro 3225 GPS Unit (Used to be in Daewoo)

PROBLEMS:

CHEVY:

1. BURNS OIL
  2. LEAKING TYRES
  3. CONSTANT BATTERY DRAIN
  4. STARTING ISSUES
  5. ABS, TRACTION CONTROL AND TPMS DO NOT WORK)

FIXED:
  1. REPLACED 98% OF INTERIOR LIGHTS THAT BURNED OUT
  2. REPLACED SHATTERED FOG LIGHT BULBS
  3. TAPED UP CRACKED FOG LIGHT HOUSING
  4. REPLACED TRUNK SUPPORT HYDROLICS

BROKEN:
  1. BOTH REAR DOOR EXTERIOR HANDLES
  2. DRIVER'S SIDE REARVIEW MIRROR
  3. TRUCK DOES NOT OPEN WITH KEY
  4. ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL - BAD SENSOR

MODIFIED:
  1. AIRBAGS (DISABLED)
  2. REMOVED OBSOLETE AND UNUSED ONSTAR COMPUTER FROM TRUNK

DAEWOO:

PROBLEMS:
  1. BAD GAS MILEAGE
  2. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CAM SENSOR CODE)

FIXED:
  1. REPLACED BATTERY IN APRIL 2008
  2. REPLACED BLOWN THERMOSTAT IN 2013
  3. REPLACED BAD THERMOSTAT IN 2014
  4. CLEANED AND RE-GAPPED PLUGS IN 2013
  5. REPLACED FAULTY BRAKE/TAILLIGHT BULB IN 2014

MODIFICATIONS:
  1. AIRBAGS (DISABLED)
  2. APLENA AUTOMATIC SHIFT KNOB
  3. APLENA MANUAL PEDAL COVER KIT
  4. SONY CDX-GT200 HEAD UNIT (INSTALLED BY BEST BUY IN 2006)
  5. CHROME LICENSE PLATE FRAMES
  6. RED TYRE VALVE STEM CAPS

EVERYTHING ELSE CAN BE VIEWED BY GOING TO MY CarDomain PAGE

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Another sharp ride from the Geneva show, Kia Sportspace, concept, likely headed to production (though not sure about the US market):

01-kia-sportspace-concept-geneva-1.jpg

04-kia-sportspace-concept-geneva-1.jpg

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

I think he's probably just trying to understand your wants/needs. Car buying can be tough though, you ideally would want a little bit of everything.

Basically the above. LadyX just comes in here asking about a completely different vehicle every other day, with no context for why she's asking, and they are usually vague questions that either have no value like "what do you think" or questions that could easily be answered with a 5 minute google search, and when someone does reply and point something out, she argues back (i.e. the Inifiniti Elephant SUV refresh vs. redesign).

Audban

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
You guys want to see some funny stuff about cars? I got it right here...

driverlols.com

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Since this is the vehicle thread....

I thought I would show off mine. Here are a few pictures as well as list of mods plans and problems with said vehicles:

My cars are:

2001 Daewoo Lanos S Sedan
2001 Chevrolet Impala LS

PROBLEMS:

CHEVY:

1. BURNS OIL
  2. LEAKING TYRES
  3. CONSTANT BATTERY DRAIN
  4. STARTING ISSUES
  5. ABS, TRACTION CONTROL AND TPMS DO NOT WORK)

FIXED:
  1. REPLACED 98% OF INTERIOR LIGHTS THAT BURNED OUT
  2. REPLACED SHATTERED FOG LIGHT BULBS
  3. TAPED UP CRACKED FOG LIGHT HOUSING
  4. REPLACED TRUNK SUPPORT HYDROLICS

BROKEN:
  1. BOTH REAR DOOR EXTERIOR HANDLES
  2. DRIVER'S SIDE REARVIEW MIRROR
  3. TRUCK DOES NOT OPEN WITH KEY
  4. ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL - BAD SENSOR

MODIFIED:
  1. AIRBAGS (DISABLED)
  2. REMOVED OBSOLETE AND UNUSED ONSTAR COMPUTER FROM TRUNK

DAEWOO:

PROBLEMS:
  1. BAD GAS MILEAGE
  2. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CAM SENSOR CODE)

FIXED:
  1. REPLACED BATTERY IN APRIL 2008
  2. REPLACED BLOWN THERMOSTAT IN 2013
  3. REPLACED BAD THERMOSTAT IN 2014
  4. CLEANED AND RE-GAPPED PLUGS IN 2013
  5. REPLACED FAULTY BRAKE/TAILLIGHT BULB IN 2014

MODIFICATIONS:
  1. AIRBAGS (DISABLED)
  2. APLENA AUTOMATIC SHIFT KNOB
  3. APLENA MANUAL PEDAL COVER KIT
  4. SONY CDX-GT200 HEAD UNIT (INSTALLED BY BEST BUY IN 2006)
  5. CHROME LICENSE PLATE FRAMES
  6. RED TYRE VALVE STEM CAPS

EVERYTHING ELSE CAN BE VIEWED BY GOING TO MY CarDomain PAGE
*Pneumatic Struts

I know you're against ABS but I figure you get snow where you live in MN. Wouldn't you find the functioning traction control helpful in the snow?

I'm quite envious of your chrome license plate frame. I think my BMW came with a plastic one.

You forgot to mention your crazy seat covers! I won't bring up the fact that you think disabling airbags and ABS is a good idea. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
*Pneumatic Struts

I know you're against ABS but I figure you get snow where you live in MN. Wouldn't you find the functioning traction control helpful in the snow?

I'm quite envious of your chrome license plate frame. I think my BMW came with a plastic one.

You forgot to mention your crazy seat covers! I won't bring up the fact that you think disabling airbags and ABS is a good idea. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

1. I love the traction control. It works like a charm, The major 2010 Midwest snow storm took out the ABS Sensor and the only thing preventing me from fixing it is that it'll cost over $300 for a new hub assembly
  2. My chrome plate frame ARE plastic i got them from the Dollar Tree and it is my 3rd pair since march of 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.