Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john3478

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Any one has bought this case already? it seems like really nicely done. I think I plan to get one.
http://www.dodocase.com/

I donno about that, it looks like it won't hold up well. book binding? on my older books the binding is the first to go so that doesn't sell me.
More an exercise in style and PC'ness over function. Dodo case? Weren't Dodos dumb birds that became extinct?

if it did hold up well, its kind of cool. Its has this surprise moment. People assume it is a book but when opening it up, it is an iPad. :D

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I thought I might get the Bamboo Vers Audio iPad case, but ipadaccessories.com just put up these gorgeous wooden cases from Substrata:

page82-1021-full.jpg

page82-1022-full.jpg

I know, not for everybody. But I think they're beautiful, and their iPhone cases are awesome, too. Great for eco-conscious types. I wish they made one for Macbook!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I thought I might get the Bamboo Vers Audio iPad case, but ipadaccessories.com just put up these gorgeous wooden cases from Substrata:

page82-1021-full.jpg

page82-1022-full.jpg

I know, not for everybody. But I think they're beautiful, and their iPhone cases are awesome, too. Great for eco-conscious types. I wish they made one for Macbook!

That looks nice, not my cup of tea, but nice. However, from the pictures, it appears that the ports and such are covered.

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
According to the website, it's a work in progress and the ports will be accessible in the final version. That's how they have it with the iPhone case:

page65-1011-full.jpg

page65-1006-full.jpg

But I think the ports will only be accessible in the sliding case.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
The Apple case worries me. It seems like in the landscape position standing up it could just fall forward really easily.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I haven't seen the iPad in the Timbuk2 Netbook Messenger yet - but da kid says she thinks that it will probably fit WITH the case on in there.

If i can pry it from her hands for oh, 2 seconds, i'll try it myself and update my post on the first page.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I haven't seen the iPad in the Timbuk2 Netbook Messenger yet - but da kid says she thinks that it will probably fit WITH the case on in there.

If i can pry it from her hands for oh, 2 seconds, i'll try it myself and update my post on the first page.

Please do! Pictures if you can.

I'm starting to lean towards another Timbuk2 bag. I just wish the netbook messenger came in more colors or was available on the BYOB. There appears to be a Red/Black color combo on Dell.com that I have not seen else where and looks pretty nice http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A3092424&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Please do! Pictures if you can.

I'm starting to lean towards another Timbuk2 bag. I just wish the netbook messenger came in more colors or was available on the BYOB. There appears to be a Red/Black color combo on Dell.com that I have not seen else where and looks pretty nice http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A3092424&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063.

I have to agree with her, it will probably fit in there with the case.

I hope these pictures help - the only place space might be an issue is at the bottom, it tapers some. I do really think it is going to fit in there with the Apple Case. That is to be delivered on Tuesday so i'll know then!

Color wasn't as much as an issue around here - DD needed all black to be in uniform for Civil Air Patrol. I did too, but i'm a rebel and got the lime green one because I liked it :D

Red & black would have been nice, but i really like the grey on teh Lime too. Actually, i probably wouldn't change much on mine if i built it myself! LOL!!

A screen shot of one of the pics incase no one wants to go to flickr.

Attachments

• Picture 594.png
    Picture 594.png
    802.6 KB · Views: 155

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

I hope these pictures help - the only place space might be an issue is at the bottom, it tapers some. I do really think it is going to fit in there with the Apple Case. That is to be delivered on Tuesday so i'll know then!

Color wasn't as much as an issue around here - DD needed all black to be in uniform for Civil Air Patrol. I did too, but i'm a rebel and got the lime green one because I liked it :D

Red & black would have been nice, but i really like the grey on teh Lime too. Actually, i probably wouldn't change much on mine if i built it myself! LOL!!

Thanks for the picture.

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
iPad wooden stand

Most of the book/plate stands won't work for iPad when the USB connector is plugged in. The plastic/aluminum stands are flimsy for the heavy iPad.

I got bored of iPad lying flat so designed & build a stand/holder for iPad myself using Maple hardwood & slip resistant pad.

Here's the link for details. It is very sturdy & doesn't move on multiple touches to iPad.

Attachments

• P1010654.JPG
    P1010654.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 169

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Some really nice cases out there, but none of them appear to mimick the functionality of Apple's own in that it can double as a muti-angle stand without any additional apparatus.

Means at the moment I'll still plunge for the Apple case, unless something else comes out before we get our hands on the iPad in the UK!

Also, has anyone tried to use a Gorillapod mobile as an iPad stand? I currently use mine with my iPhone, so was wondering if it was up to the job with the iPad too...

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Some really nice cases out there, but none of them appear to mimick the functionality of Apple's own in that it can double as a muti-angle stand without any additional apparatus.

Means at the moment I'll still plunge for the Apple case, unless something else comes out before we get our hands on the iPad in the UK!

Also, has anyone tried to use a Gorillapod mobile as an iPad stand? I currently use mine with my iPhone, so was wondering if it was up to the job with the iPad too...

For europe, Macally has the black BookStand. IMO, it looks nicer than the Apple Case and it has similar functionality. Unfortunately, the U.S version only comes in a grey suede ATM.

http://www.macally-europe.com/productpage.php?product=1926

glowrider

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003

http://goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-book-jacket-cl57512

Takes pressure off hands holding it as well. The notches are spaced out and it's a little bulky but it is far superior to the apple case.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
OK… a couple of days in, here's what I want.

Minimalism.

I want to add grip and edge/corner protection.

My fantasy "case" right now is a molded rubber-band like product that will stretch just around the outer edges of the iPad, leaving the remainder of it naked.

Part of this is due to the already existing weight of the iPad; I don't want to add any more to it.

I tried the incase silicone covers at the Apple store and was amazed that I didn't like them; I assumed I would. But, they are 1) bulky, 2) slippery and 3) do not adhere well around the edges (stretch away from the ipad too easily).

So, what are the best "minimalist" options?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Quickie review of official Appple case:

I swore several times, including in this very thread, that I wasn't getting the official case. But the cases I did want mostly haven't made it to market yet, and after getting my iPad Saturday I quickly realized I was going to need something, ideally with a kickstand. I had some trepidation when I picked up the case box (it weighs mere ounces) but i have to say it seems very well designed. The thin/lightweight design, I realize now, is to avoid adding bulk to your nice sleek device. However, it's also quite versatile: ideal for propping in landscape, portrait, or typing mode. And I can stop worrying about scratching up the back.

Not saying it's the best thing out there, but having used it now it's apparent some thought went into it.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
FYI: I just spoke with Incipio regarding their feather case and I was told it is still 2-3 weeks out. Bummer. :(

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008

I'm curious to see how you like it with the Apple case. As an aside, is the bag large enough to throw an ultra-portable Laptop into the main bag? Every now and then I need to carry my small Dell work lappy with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.