Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
I'm simply pointing out what you are saying as you say it and then at the same time backtrack from it. In any case, it's all right there and the point has been (self-)made.
Quote me saying iOS 9 is bad because it isn't perfect, because I don't remember ever saying that. You're the one who loves to tell me how things aren't black and white, but then you take any of my demands for improved quality as demands for perfection.

Reactions: sanke1

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Quote me saying iOS 9 is bad because it isn't perfect, because I don't remember ever saying that. You're the one who loves to tell me how things aren't black and white, but then you take any of my demands for improved quality as demands for perfection.
Because the way what you've been talking about it all has been framing them as demands for perfection rather than just improved quality. When it comes to simply improved quality then you and I are in agreement there.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sorry, but with Apple, "good enough" is not good enough. If you think it's fine that these performance issues are still in iOS because most people won't see them, you don't understand Apple well.

"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."
-Steve Jobs​

Too bad it still isn't SJ's Apple. Now we have the TC era and it isn't looking as polished/bright.

But why should I even need to compromise the visuals when iOS 9 gave me near ZERO added functionality over 8.4.1 and 8.4.1 had smooth animations with both options off.
Again,I find RT absolutely terrible and horrible to look at.Even on my old iPad Mini which is slow as **** I still don't turn on those options even when the tablet flies with it on

Want your device to run faster and smoother? Hamstring it. :cool:

You don't use any Apple apps? Wouldn't you be better served with a Nexus 6P? No joke, not trying to deflect. Android is at a point where I honestly think you'd be happier with the 6P.

One of the iOS challenges is usually using the iOS core / stock apps. Apple used to minimize the functions to provide a better more polished experience. You had the option of using alternative apps but could not make them default. Now a-days, the stock iOS apps for the most part are either decent due to in part to their uniqueness or crap.

With iOS core apps, I feel like they used to come from REI and now they come from Walmart.

For me, when work rolls out the new Android tie in I will in all likely-hood be retiring from the iPhone world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radon87000

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You don't use any Apple apps? Wouldn't you be better served with a Nexus 6P? No joke, not trying to deflect. Android is at a point where I honestly think you'd be happier with the 6P.
Apple's only good with hardware.Their services have been lacking for a very long time.Both Microsoft and Google provide cross platform services beyond Android and Windows which is what makes them compelling and both are essentially software companies.I often find third party apps better ONLY because they get updated with features more frequently and provide sync between all of my Android,Windows,Mac and Chromebooks.On the other hand,I find Apple's mass produced hardware quality to be among the top tiers in the industry

Yeah I agree the Nexus 6P is compelling.Played with it a while in the store and honestly it had faster and better animations than my iPhone 6 on iOS 9.No bashing.Just my 2 cents.But I am stuck with the 6 till my contract is up

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Too bad it still isn't SJ's Apple. Now we have the TC era and it isn't looking as polished/bright.

Want your device to run faster and smoother? Hamstring it. :cool:
Tim Cook is first and foremost a businessman.Steve Jobs actually was a visionary who strived for a very high bar of perfection even in the most minor areas.For I know Steve Jobs would never release a 10GB iPhone with 4K recording.I mean those terms contradict each other but Tim Cook's greedy for greater margins over customer satisfaction

Reactions: sanke1

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tim Cook is first and foremost a businessman.Steve Jobs actually was a visionary who strived for a very high bar of perfection even in the most minor areas.For I know Steve Jobs would never release a 10GB iPhone with 4K recording.I mean those terms contradict each other but Tim Cook's greedy for greater margins over customer satisfaction
Not much hyperbole in this post is there?

Reactions: Jayderek

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

A bit dramatic. You should have added this to your post. :D

Reactions: CB1234

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Apple's only good with hardware.Their services have been lacking for a very long time.Both Microsoft and Google provide cross platform services beyond Android and Windows which is what makes them compelling and both are essentially software companies.I often find third party apps better ONLY because they get updated with features more frequently and provide sync between all of my Android,Windows,Mac and Chromebooks.On the other hand,I find Apple's mass produced hardware quality to be among the top tiers in the industry

Yeah I agree the Nexus 6P is compelling.Played with it a while in the store and honestly it had faster and better animations than my iPhone 6 on iOS 9.No bashing.Just my 2 cents.But I am stuck with the 6 till my contract is up

Yeah, contracts suck.

Hope your next phone works for you better than this one has. Technology is supposed to make our lives better, not annoy us.

Reactions: pat500000

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL

Id say any modern android phone has better animations than iOS 9 right now.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Id say any modern android phone has better animations than iOS 9 right now.
I'd say my Galaxy S6 edge equals the iPad Air 2 in UI animation fluidity. However, my Z5 Compact blows both out of the water. The Nexus 5 with Marshmallow comes a very close second place.

If you're wondering why I have so many devices;

Nexus 5 - my previous phone, now enjoying retirement as a spare WiFi-only phone as the SIM tray is stuck, making it unsellable.
Z5 Compact - my replacement for the Nexus 5, currently on temporary hiatus in favour of Galaxy S6 edge.
Galaxy S6 edge - the phone Samsung gave me for work and personal use.
iPad Air 2 - my first ever tablet I bought a couple of months back.

Reactions: dk001

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
I'd say my Galaxy S6 edge equals the iPad Air 2 in UI animation fluidity. However, my Z5 Compact blows both out of the water. The Nexus 5 with Marshmallow comes a very close second place.

If you're wondering why I have so many devices;

Nexus 5 - my previous phone, now enjoying retirement as a spare WiFi-only phone as the SIM tray is stuck, making it unsellable.
Z5 Compact - my replacement for the Nexus 5, currently on temporary hiatus in favour of Galaxy S6 edge.
Galaxy S6 edge - the phone Samsung gave me for work and personal use.
iPad Air 2 - my first ever tablet I bought a couple of months back.
I also have a Nexus 5 but on 5.1.1 and never had frame drops during the any animations. It is on par with my iPhone 5S on 8.2. Compared to my iPhone 6S on iOS 9.1, makes the 6S look like garbage (animation wise, not speed)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I also have a Nexus 5 but on 5.1.1 and never had frame drops during the any animations. It is on par with my iPhone 5S on 8.2. Compared to my iPhone 6S on iOS 9.1, makes the 6S look like garbage (animation wise, not speed)
Your 6s has an issue. No lag or stutter or anything else but smoothness (except control panel) on my 6s, even with animations and transparency off..

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
You should reinstall it without loading a backup from itunes. I didn't have to do that and my phone, the 6s, is not "garbage" as you put it as is yours. So I'm not sure what you have on it to make it perform like that.
Why is it that my iPod 6th gen started to have the same frame drops when I updated it from 8.4.1 to iOS 9.1? Surely it cant be iOS 9. Can it? (No backups, restored and updated)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why is it that my iPod 6th gen started to have the same frame drops when I updated it from 8.4.1 to iOS 9.1? Surely it cant be iOS 9. Can it? (No backups, restored and updated)
I can't speak for an ipod on IOS 9, only for an ipad 2, iphone 5s, iphone 6 and 6s. It does seem with IOS 9, like IOS 8 and IOS 7 and IOS 6 people have varied experiences with these builds.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I can't speak for an ipod on IOS 9, only for an ipad 2, iphone 5s, iphone 6 and 6s. It does seem with IOS 9, like IOS 8 and IOS 7 and IOS 6 people have varied experiences with these builds.

And iOS 5, 4, 3 and iphoneOS 2 and 1. I remember having tweetdeck display "iOS 3.0 faster" and iOS 3.0 slower" with very similar split and wordings as we have today. It's still the same story. Perception is everything.

dark_knight177

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
You should reinstall it without loading a backup from itunes. I didn't have to do that and my phone, the 6s, is not "garbage" as you put it as is yours. So I'm not sure what you have on it to make it perform like that.
I am holding Nexus 6P and my wife's iPhone 6S plus side by side. Needless to say animations on 6S are trash compare to Nexus. Her iPhone was set up as new and didn't have any previous backups.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am holding Nexus 6P and my wife's iPhone 6S plus side by side. Needless to say animations on 6S are trash compare to Nexus. Her iPhone was set up as new and didn't have any previous backups.
That's your opinion, which of course you are entitled to and of course that is what the various posts are all about. Are they? Arent they? It does. It doesn't. etc. Saying some of these things in an on-line forum does not make any of this "fact".

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That's your opinion, which of course you are entitled to and of course that is what the various posts are all about. Are they? Arent they? It does. It doesn't. etc. Saying some of these things in an on-line forum does not make any of this "fact".
You should use Nexus 6P if you ever get the chance.You would realise how stuttery iOS is of late

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You should use Nexus 6P if you ever get the chance.You would realise how stuttery iOS is of late
Trying to be reasonable with a straightforward response; it really doesn't matter to me as I have no intention of purchasing a Nexus and maybe when I'm in the phone store I will take a look at it. My focus is, and maybe there are a bunch of us, is what can I do on my iphone and how can I get it done? It would be nice if the phone was perfect, but nothing is perfect at least for me. Using the phone for business, means due to configuration, can't really switch back and forth on devices without reconfiguration.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People have been saying that in comparison to iOS 8.4.1 and yet various people aren't seeing much of a difference between that and iOS 9 (short of perhaps a few stutters in a few fairly inconsequential places). So clearly we are back to it being mostly a subjective thing.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
People have been saying that in comparison to iOS 8.4.1 and yet various people aren't seeing much of a difference between that and iOS 9 (short of perhaps a few stutters in a few fairly inconsequential places). So clearly we are back to it being mostly a subjective thing.
The difference between 8.4.1 and 9 is too obvious to be subjective.Even the most tolerant of the stutters admit iOS 9 is slower than 8 in animations

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.