Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's better Firefox or Safari?

• Firefox

Votes: 39 25.3%
  • Safari

Votes: 115 74.7%

• Total voters

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
With the release of Firefox version 3 I've realized that Safari is well, pretty *****y. You can't browse the web full screen which is pretty annoying. Bookmark are completely useless. And most of all it has no add-ons. And it's not open sourced.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Safari still displays webpages much faster, has a much better GUI (no matter what theme you put on firefox it's still ugly as sin), safari has better integration with OS X, safari is the default browser for Macs (giving it the smug appeal)

In the end they're both just web browsers. So what if Firefox has more add ons? So what if Safari integrates with keychain? If these pros and cons sway you one way or the other then use that browser.

For me: I'm sticking with Safari, Firefox still isn't fully web standard compliant, it's ugly, I have zero use for any add ons, and I like the GUI.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I never browse the web full screen, bookmarks work the same and add-ons are mostly just useless bloat, and unless you are a developer, open-source is overrated, especially in this case because Safari is free.

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
Open Source suks

I'm pretty sure Firefox 3 is way faster. Open source is great because it allows u to add personal touches to your browser. Firefox 3 has smart bookmarks that u can easily file.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
As long as Firefox uses the Gecko rendering engine instead of Webkit, Safari will always have the upper hand.

Safari is faster, and just as reliable. Safari has beautiful typography, Safari scrolls soooo much smoother.

Dont get me wrong, Firefox is an awesome browser and it will always be my browser of choice on Windows. On OS X though I will be an avid Safari user.

If Firefox is rewritten to use the webkit rendering engine, and maybe in Cocoa then I think the market on OS X would increase substantially...

EDIT:

Open source is great because it allows u to add personal touches to your browser. Firefox 3 has smart bookmarks that u can easily file.

webkit is open source...

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
With the (future) release of Safari version 4 I've realized that Firefox is well, pretty *****y. RSS is completely useless. And it's ugly. And it's open sourced.

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
With the (future) release of Safari version 4 I've realized that Firefox is well, pretty *****y. RSS is completely useless. And it's ugly. And it's open sourced.

I don't get why everyone keeps saying that firefox is ugly. If u want it to look like safari then u can get a theme of safari. That proves how gr8 open sourcing and add-ons are. RSS is not useless at all instead of checking a website everyday u can go to the RSS feed and check if there is any new content if there is then u can go to the website and read it. This is especially gr8 for ppl with slow internet because thay won't have to load the website each time!!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
RSS is not useless at all instead of checking a website everyday u can go to the RSS feed and check if there is any new content if there is then u can go to the website and read it. This is especially gr8 for ppl with slow internet because thay won't have to load the website each time!!

That's why they make dedicated RSS Readers that do this job better and faster.

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
Only if you are a programmer, millions and millions of computer users could really care less about customizing the code and recompiling.
I'm not sure if any of u guys have actually tries firefox 3. You don't have to be a programmer 2 download an add-on, it's as simple as pressing the download button!!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm pretty sure Firefox 3 is way faster.
really? You're 'pretty sure'? Because you're totally wrong. Gecko isn't even as fast as IE (what's the IE web engine called?) right now, let alone Webkit.

Open source is great because it allows u to add personal touches to your browser. Firefox 3 has smart bookmarks that u can easily file.

Since when is Webkit not opensource? Sure you can't add themes to Safari, but it's pretty beautiful now, I can't think of a theme I'd rather have for Safari, all the themes for Firefox are ugly, and some are on the buggy side.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I'm not sure if any of u guys have actually tries firefox 3. You don't have to be a programmer 2 download an add-on, it's as simple as pressing the download button!!

I have, its slow and there are other quirks I dont like about it. Open source has nothing to do with addons ...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

but you have to be a programmer to add that 'personal touch' you were talking about. Sure you can just download some of the crap that's out there, but it's not going to make it any better of a user experience. Firefox is great on Windows and Linux, but it's just not as Mac friendly as it should be.

EDIT: I take it back, Firefox is okay on Windows, but there are many other great browsers for Windows that I'd rather use, like Opera. Even on Linux Opera would still be my first choice.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Safari still displays webpages much faster,
it doesn't matter how many times you repeat a lie, it won't become truth.
Firefox still isn't fully web standard compliant, it's ugly, I have zero use for any add ons, and I like the GUI.
Its laughable, Do you even know anything about web standard? What is "fully" compliant? do you even have any idea how many standard and how many individual items out there?

Its time for thee type of false statements to stop. I would be glad to open a web standard compliant thread if you want these type of thing.

you can like whatever browser you like for whatever reason, just don't spread lies around.
With the release of Firefox version 3 I've realized that Safari is well, pretty *****y. You can't browse the web full screen which is pretty annoying. Bookmark are completely useless. And most of all it has no add-ons. And it's not open sourced.
Actually Firefox on OSX doesn't support full screen yet, Opera is the only major browsers on OSX that can do full screen.
As long as Firefox uses the Gecko rendering engine instead of Webkit, Safari will always have the upper hand.

Safari is faster, and just as reliable. Safari has beautiful typography, Safari scrolls soooo much smoother.

Dont get me wrong, Firefox is an awesome browser and it will always be my browser of choice on Windows. On OS X though I will be an avid Safari user.

If Firefox is rewritten to use the webkit rendering engine, and maybe in Cocoa then I think the market on OS X would increase substantially...

Firefox 3 for mac is written in cocoa.

Webkit doesn't offer many fundamental features firefox does, and its already 150% the size of firefox.

And I doubt firefox's OSX market share can increase substantially just by doing what you suggested. how much markethare does Omniweb, shiira have? Safari has bigger share is mostly because of system bundling, its simple. Just like IE still has 70+% shares, not because its specially good, but because its pre-installed by default.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
After using Safari I can't use anything else. Nothing is integrated into OS X better than Safari. Firefox doesn't use the Apple Dictionary and has a sub par looking Aqua theme. The only thing that annoys me about Safari is how Google is so heavily integrated to it but it's all about personal opinion.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
faster not so much better perhaps but i don't think that just cuz there's RSS on firefox that u shouldn't b using it as i said b4 there are many other gr8 features.

As I said before, none of this matters because Opera is better than Safari or Firefox. Opera was the first one to implement tabbed browsing, Opera was the first, and one of the only ones still to implement Mouse gestures, and Opera is constantly innovating our Browsing experience -- Firefox is usually playing the catch-up game. Opera is Open source, and just as customisable as Firefox. Funny thing is...Opera has most of those add-on features when you get it! And it's still lighter and faster! :D

Edit: Crap, Clevin's here...He's going to mess up my Opera fanboy tirading ;.;

Edit 2:

Actually Firefox on OSX doesn't support full screen yet, Opera is the only major browsers on OSX that can do full screen.

Ha! I win again! :D

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
but you have to be a programmer to add that 'personal touch' you were talking about. Sure you can just download some of the crap that's out there, but it's not going to make it any better of a user experience. Firefox is great on Windows and Linux, but it's just not as Mac friendly as it should be.
how is it not mac friendly???

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
tell me some of those other "quirks"

If you type a domain in the address bar and hit enter, it searches for it instead of trying to add .com and going directly to the site. It does not render sites as fast and I dont like how it handles downloads, esp. pdfs (yes I know there is an addon, but it still downloads the pdf, even though I just want to read it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.