Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's better Firefox or Safari?

• Firefox

Votes: 39 25.3%
  • Safari

Votes: 115 74.7%

• Total voters

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
no add-on required. its something so simple that annoys me so much about safari.
(image removed)
My preferences are almost the same - but that setting only forces links that generate new windows to generate new tabs, instead. I thought you meant something for all links.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Enter this into terminal
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Restart Safari and all links that target new windows will open in tabs instead :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
My preferences are almost the same - but that setting only forces links that generate new windows to generate new tabs, instead. I thought you meant something for all links.

It does do it for all links in FireFox. Doesn't in Safari, only certain ones.

I think it might be to do with JavaScript - some links want to be opened in a new window, and this seems to bypass your option of wanting links to be opened in a new tab.

And another bugging issue in Safari is you can't tell it not to resize itself when a webpage tells it to (unless you disable JavaScript, which isn't a good solution).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It does do it for all links in FireFox. Doesn't in Safari, only certain ones.

I think it might be to do with JavaScript - some links want to be opened in a new window, and this seems to bypass your option of wanting links to be opened in a new tab.

And another bugging issue in Safari is you can't tell it not to resize itself when a webpage tells it to (unless you disable JavaScript, which isn't a good solution).
Interesting - mine does NOT exhibit the behavior you describe. I'm using Firefox 3.0.1. What it does instead is this - any link that normally opens in a new window will open in a new tab, instead. All other links open in the same window (and tab within that window), unless you CMD+Click to force it into a new tab.

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
Interesting - mine does NOT exhibit the behavior you describe. I'm using Firefox 3.0.1. What it does instead is this - any link that normally opens in a new window will open in a new tab, instead. All other links open in the same window (and tab within that window), unless you CMD+Click to force it into a new tab.

ya same here

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
neither do I lol

again, if you have ever in your entire career of using firefox touched the corner adjust window button then you won't have that issue.

speaking of which, here's another bug:

Notice that the adjust window size corner gets mixed with the scroll arrow if you don't have the status bar enabled

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 151

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I was using firefox on PC and loved using it, I enjoyed using Safari better, but it was just too sluggish for Windows. Now im using Safari on Mac, I dont miss Firefox whatsoever, but as people dont use IE I'll be happy!

Basically Safari is less cluttered than Firefox, and Firefox does look a little ugly compared to safari.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
safari is slightly better in my oppinion because it loads slightly quicker and i also like the bookmark setup in safari

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
I feel like this was the wrong forum to post this thread in because everyone is obsessed with apple and therefore by commitment have to love safari. :( but I still think firefox is better

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I feel like this was the wrong forum to post this thread in because everyone is obsessed with apple and therefore by commitment have to love safari. :( but I still think firefox is better

What are you talking about? There are a ton of people here who all said they love Firefox, I'm even using Firefox as my default browser (It's not a bad browser, I just like Safari more.)

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England

im not obsessed at all, im sure many people aren't, you asked for oppinions people gave it to you, just because safari is winning dosent mean people are die hard apple fans

hmorris

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Nowhere
What are you talking about? There are a ton of people here who all said they love Firefox, I'm even using Firefox as my default browser (It's not a bad browser, I just like Safari more.)
First off if you like Safari more why are using Firefox. Although a ton of people have said they love FF3 more have said they love safari although I think the poll is biased because of what I said before

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
^ Use the multiquote button to reply to multiple posts.

I much prefer the RSS reader on safari, its faster to load pages and doesn't make my hard drive go mad like firefox seems to do occasionally.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008

id be happy if safari adopted that functionality.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
First off if you like Safari more why are using Firefox. Although a ton of people have said they love FF3 more have said they love safari although I think the poll is biased because of what I said before

Well no duh, every poll is biased, unless a random sample of people is taken.

I'm using firefox as my default browser because I like to switch my browsers up, next month I'll probably be using Omniweb or Opera again.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
another reason i prefer firefox 3 to safari is the handling of bookmarks from the menu bar instead of having to load a page in the browser.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Any time a new browser or browser version comes out, I give it a try.

Somehow I always end up going back to Safari... :rolleyes:

raztro

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
wtv thats my opinion

Why are you so obsessed with what other people like? You like Firefox, so use it. I don't see the issue here. I'm a recent Mac convert and I like Safari better, not because it's made by Apple, but because it's just smoother.

Anyway, a browser is a browser, nothing to get up in arms about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.