Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I think it will be 5.25" with on-screen buttons. 5.25" without would be too large IMO. The original Note was a 5.3" screen.

I know a lot of people hate TouchWiz. I think Samsung will improve the UI greatly with the S5. My biggest issue with the S4 wasn't the performance but rather the hideous stock apps. (Phone, Messaging, Note, Gallery.) The solution is pretty easy as you can change with 3rd party choices. However they really need to improve their stock offerings in that regard. And I think they will.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think it will be 5.25" with on-screen buttons. 5.25" without would be too large IMO. The original Note was a 5.3" screen.

I know a lot of people hate TouchWiz. I think Samsung will improve the UI greatly with the S5. My biggest issue with the S4 wasn't the performance but rather the hideous stock apps. (Phone, Messaging, Note, Gallery.) The solution is pretty easy as you can change with 3rd party choices. However they really need to improve their stock offerings in that regard. And I think they will.

Will new TW be similar to what was done with the new Galaxy Pro tablets?

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm interested to see what Samsung does with the S5 but I feel like the galaxy brand is no longer what it used to be.

The galaxy phones used to be really the only great phones in the Android ecosystem but phones like the Nexus 5 and Moto x have really made me care less about what Samsung does.

I just prefer there touchwiz free versions of android as well as there design language so much more over the S4.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Getting excited to see what the Galaxy S5 will be.....

More news
Less TW and more Android...less gimmicks. Upgraded build and less plastic.
Can't wait to see what the product is when released..........

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/13/samsung-could-be-about-to-fix-everything-people-ha.aspx

Even though I'm generally not a fan of Samsung mobile products, I'm certainly looking forward to MWC and the announcement.

My biggest personal gripes are Touchwiz and build materials/design. I have no problem with the use of plastics--it's how Samsung uses it that turns me off of their devices. The Moto X, Nokia device, heck even the iPhone 5c feel entirely different in one's hand and in most cases, have a more premium appearance.

I also know there's a segment of users that swear by having a removable battery. I personally have no use for it and every device I've own that has one just feels flimsier. I'd much rather have a solid, unibody style build and would prefer it if Samsung adopted this design style as well.

As far as Touchwiz goes, with the exception of Sense 5+, I really don't like OEM skins and if I buy an Android device, it won't have one (or will be next to transparent as with the Moto X) so Samsung could hit both of my previous preferences but if a GPE edition isn't available, I won't look twice at the S5.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm still stoked on the gs4 google edition. Can't afford to upgrade when the gs5 ge comes out, but just saying - if you are thinking about off contract.

Probably have to wait until summer? I think the gs4 ge was august.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm still stoked on the gs4 google edition. Can't afford to upgrade when the gs5 ge comes out, but just saying - if you are thinking about off contract.

Probably have to wait until summer? I think the gs4 ge was august.

Let's hope not. The S4 GPE was announce at Google I/O last June and I believe was release the same month. I don't expect to so it at launch but hopefully within a month or two.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I wouldn't expect a Google edition SGS5 two or three months after the release of the SGS5.

It could hurt the original SGS5 sales for Samsung.

So my bet would be again Google I/O in June.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
More information is coming out ahead of the probable announcement next week on the 24th

http://bgr.com/2014/02/17/galaxy-s5-specs-display-resolution-2k/

Other purported Galaxy S5 specs include a 2.5GHz quad-core processor or an 8-core Exynos chipset depending on the model, a 20-megapixel primary camera, a 2-megapixel rear camera, 3GB of LPDDR3 RAM, a huge 3,000 mAh battery, an integrated infrared blaster, support for 4G LTE data speeds of up to 150Mbps, and Android 4.4 KitKat.

Samsung is expected to unveil the Galaxy S5 on Monday during a press conference ahead of the annual Mobile World Congress trade show

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Hmm, if they're pumping this thing up to 5.25"...does that mean the Note screen will keep growing too, I wonder? A 6" Note 4 for instance, will that work?

As for TouchWiz, I read that they're going to strip it of some of the "gimmicky features" - they better not remove my Smart Stay though :mad:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Those specs are fantastic! Can't wait to see this. Got my upgrade ready for this phone! :D
Me too….i hope they stream it live somewhere. this might just be my next phone. I hope Samsung doesn't spam us with 5 different versions. It really does splinter their brand.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Those specs are fantastic! Can't wait to see this. Got my upgrade ready for this phone! :D

Agreed..specs are drool worthy. Sadly, just too big of a phone for my tastes--I don't want anything bigger than phones like the Xperia Z1 Compact or Moto X. :(

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Agreed..specs are drool worthy. Sadly, just too big of a phone for my tastes--I don't want anything bigger than phones like the Xperia Z1 or Moto X. :(

Agreed, for me the phone is a bit big, on the verge. I recently took off my case (spigen slim armor) and it is much better. Typically I dont run naked, but at the GS4's size I have to. Put on a glas.t screen protector to make myself feel better.

In the future, I agree and will likely go towards moto x / z1 compact's size.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Agreed, for me the phone is a bit big, on the verge. I recently took off my case (spigen slim armor) and it is much better. Typically I dont run naked, but at the GS4's size I have to. Put on a glas.t screen protector to make myself feel better.

In the future, I agree and will likely go towards moto x / z1's size.

You caught me mid-edit--didn't mean the original Z1 (great looking but huge in comparison), but rather the Z1 Compact. :D

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Me too….i hope they stream it live somewhere. this might just be my next phone. I hope Samsung doesn't spam us with 5 different versions. It really does splinter their brand.

I wouldn't count on it :(

I was really pissed when the Active came out a month after I got my regular GS4.

They need to just make the regular GS4 waterproof/dustproof, etc.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wouldn't count on it :(

I was really pissed when the Active came out a month after I got my regular GS4.

They need to just make the regular GS4 waterproof/dustproof, etc.
But the Active had lower specs and the camera wasn't as good. But I just don't want to see 5 different versions of the same phone with just minor tweaks. Have 2 versions…one model with all metal and say 32GB at one price. Then another with the usual plastic and removable battery and SD card at slightly lower price. Then stop! No need for all the varieties…...

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Look what HTC just came out with

70Yhh.png

I wouldn't mind trying out the next One model, but have been completely underwhelmed by my One, that I'm not sure about another One (even with these perks)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.