Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Well really who cares which screen has the best reviews. I buy the phone for what I like the best, not for which screen is the best. They are all close enough.
My Nexus 5 screen is nice and I can see it in the sun which I could not do on my GS3 but i also miss those vibrant colors so I don't really care what Anandtech thinks.
I have eyes.

With just your (or my) eyes is difficult to compare screens, because they are mostly just beautiful. But on a tech forum like this we are supposed to be a little more wise and educated, don't we ?

----------

Exactly! I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. At the end of the the day it's me that's going to spend the money and me that's going to use it so my opinion is the only one that counts when it comes to what phone I use.

Well, speaking about display I think that at the end of the day any S5 or M8 owner is satisfied cause they both have very good panels

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
With just your (or my) eyes is difficult to compare screens, because they are mostly just beautiful. But on a tech forum like this we are supposed to be a little more wise and educated, don't we ?

Sadly people have do squabble about the most inane things. Here we have two gorgeous displays and instead of just agreeing both are great they have to fight over the minute details of what could make one better than the other rather than just simply conceding they are both excellent. It gets rather tiresome listening to the bickering - especially when they bicker over something like two great displays....

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Sadly people have do squabble about the most inane things. Here we have two gorgeous displays and instead of just agreeing both are great they have to fight over the minute details of what could make one better than the other rather than just simply conceding they are both excellent. It gets rather tiresome listening to the bickering - especially when they bicker over something like two great displays....

I think everyone not biased could agree on the fact that both are excellent.
The only part of this discussion that intrigues me is the difference in results between Anandtech and displaymate reviews, and the fact that someone on several tech forums is assuming that Samsung gave them a "better than average" unit for marketing reasons.
But just for the sake of the discussion ....
I don't see how can someone take this as personal

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think everyone not biased could agree on the fact that both are excellent.
The only part of this discussion that intrigues me is the difference in results between Anandtech and displaymate reviews, and the fact that someone on several tech forums is assuming that Samsung gave them a "better than average" unit for marketing reasons.
But just for the sake of the discussion ....
I don't see how can someone take this as personal

Yeah I see where your coming from :)

I just think people pull apart and latch onto things often to further their own external agendas or reinforce their opinions.

At the end of day testing & actually dissecting/interpretation of results of tests still has a partial subjective part on the tester to interpret those results.

But I think to take just two reviews / tests out of the myriad available all of which basically say that both the S5 and HTC One M8 have great displays to squabble over and bicker is silly.

Do companies pay some places/media off?? maybe...

But when you look at a cross range of reviews and they all have a similar pattern opinion wise which basically both devices have great displays does it matter. The S5 has the best AMOLED display out there, the HTC One M8 one of the best Super LCD displays.

I would have no trouble using either and compared to my S4 GPE both devices (s5/m8) have far better screens.

I just think some folks here need to let sleeping dogs lie.... (But they won't).

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

----------

Well, speaking about display I think that at the end of the day any S5 or M8 owner is satisfied cause they both have very good panels

I think they would be as they both have excellent displays.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
He's just trying to downgrade your M8 ...
BTW I don't think you are trolling (I hope so) but are you really considering to buy an S5?
I can't see a reason to have both an HTC One and a Galaxy S5, and since you seem to be fine with the HTC and its below the average camera, maybe you can give a try to some other model.
Unless you are having second thoughts on your M8....

It's all good, I just bought a new Sony camera with wifi and NFC, I don't need a crappy camera on any phone, photos just down load onto my M8 and you can use the phone as a remote too:)

I am looking at another phone for weekends/AH as the M8 is my business phone, don't know if I can be bothered or not. Having a phone that is waterproof without a case would be nice as I am around water a lot when not working.
If they were around the $600 instead of nearly $900 I would get one now.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

I don't mind the squabbling over minute things, as I learn some of the minute details of something and what the advantages are. Its the name calling and conspiracy theorist that's annoying. Suddenly if you don't like what they like, you must be someone from the other "team" whose just trying to spread lies and put my phone down.

----------

How much is it unsubsidized in US ?
In Europe is about 700€ (950$)

The S5 on at&t unsubsidized is $649, Amazon has them for $699. They only sell the 16gb model though.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Guess the in store ones are no good then, plenty of vids on youtube showing it, guess you don't multitask much then.

I guess all the people that actually HAVE the phone on this thread andy others in forum are just not good enough for you? You just keep coming back in to post FUD. Seriously....why are you here if you just post negative things about the S5? Your mind is made up....so let the rest of us discuss the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have had mine in the sink, shower and pool with no issues so far. But at least they will replace it with water damage under warranty.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

You need to be wise and educated to look at a screen and think it looks nice? No, i think if all the screens are close to one another and there really isnt much difference, the thing is for me what the phone does, how big it is and how it works. The screen isnt really a part of the equation as they all have nice screens.

Example, the M8 screen is quite nice but i dont care for an aluminum back and the camera isnt very good and it is bigger than the GS5 (taller). If not for those id probably be very interested in that phone.

The iPhones screen is very nice but the phone is too tiny and th OS is a closed source so i wouldnt buy it based on those....not because of the screen.

----------

Chicks will dig it, lol.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You need to be wise and educated to look at a screen and think it looks nice? No, i think if all the screens are close to one another and there really isnt much difference, the thing is for me what the phone does, how big it is and how it works. The screen isnt really a part of the equation as they all have nice screens.

Example, the M8 screen is quite nice but i dont care for an aluminum back and the camera isnt very good and it is bigger than the GS5 (taller). If not for those id probably be very interested in that phone.

The iPhones screen is very nice but the phone is too tiny and th OS is a closed source so i wouldnt buy it based on those....not because of the screen.

----------

Chicks will dig it, lol.

You are contradicting yourself ...
You define people like they don't understand nothing about the hardware behind they phones, and a couple of lines below that you speak about open source os (not going off topic aboit the "openness of Android, but it made me laugh) as a reason to choose Android.
Well " people" don't join a forum to speak about electronic gadgets like we do. So in a forum like this we are supposed to take a little bit more in-depth analysis (and speak about open source :D )

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Verizon has the phone 599 off contract and I went to best buy and they price matched it!

I'm keeping my s4 as I bought it for a gift but I'm tempted to go buy another for myself

Edit I was sold on getting one but my Verizon gs4 finally got kit Kat last night so my gs4 will hold up until the note 4 comes out.

The screen calibration is a little better on kit Kat also but not as good as the gs5.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Speaking about Verizon, are you aware of this ?

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/2...ra-failed-issue-verizon-issuing-replacements/

Since it doesn't seem to be a software issue, and Verizon's phones are hardly different from the other S5 on the market, it could be a problem related to a bad batch of units.
Fortunately Samsung is addressing the problem with repairs and substitutions.

That sucks.maybe I should return it to best buy and buy it straight from Verizon since they have stepped up and will be a lot easier dealing with them over best buy if something comes up with the camera.

The only reason I left the Verizon store in the mall was because of a 45 min wait to get the phone and walked over to best buy mobile and price matched it in minutes

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You are contradicting yourself ...
You define people like they don't understand nothing about the hardware behind they phones, and a couple of lines below that you speak about open source os (not going off topic aboit the "openness of Android, but it made me laugh) as a reason to choose Android.
Well " people" don't join a forum to speak about electronic gadgets like we do. So in a forum like this we are supposed to take a little bit more in-depth analysis (and speak about open source :D )

You need to join a forum to know you cant share things on iOS like you can Android or use a different keyboard if you want to? Most people have used both operating systems.

Id agree if we were talking about more technical things but knowing you can choose more things is right in font of your face in the playstore and who hasnt heard of Swype? Your the one assuming people are completely stupid.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I think I'm losing my mind... after having the S5 for two (frustrating at times) weeks I went back to the iPhone 5S on Friday. Now 3 days removed, I'm finding myself missing the S5! I think I'm hopeless! :eek:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I think I'm losing my mind... after having the S5 for two (frustrating at times) weeks I went back to the iPhone 5S on Friday. Now 3 days removed, I'm finding myself missing the S5! I think I'm hopeless! :eek:

I'm the same way, but I have a feeling that if the iPhone had a larger screen you wouldn't think twice about the S5. That's the position I find myself in right now. I'd like something a little larger, but every time I get an Android phone I want my iPhone back.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I'm the same way, but I have a feeling that if the iPhone had a larger screen you wouldn't think twice about the S5. That's the position I find myself in right now. I'd like something a little larger, but every time I get an Android phone I want my iPhone back.

The screen size is only part of it. The widgets and customization are also a big part of what I am missing. I also seem to use more data on an iPhone that I do with an Android too. Anyway, I think I will be going back to the S5 this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.