Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Nah I believe it is active out of the box. Not sure if the gs3 ever got it. The gs4 got it in one of its software updates. Apparently there is some physical 'efuse' that trips and it is not reversible(don't think the gs4 has the efuse, but the note3 does). Should be able to google some stuff with plenty of people up in arms about it.

I believe there is a way to root the note3 without tripping, but it will likely take time for the gs5 if it ever happens

The idea is to make the devices safer for enterprise, but it is akin to a walled garden of sorts. And regular users are subject to it :(

I will keep an eye on that in XDA. Thanks.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Do I notice any lag during browsing internet and using basic apps. Is it only concern for heavy multi tasking users. Trying to see if i need to bother about these lag concerns.

Galaxy S5 camera is real performer. It is very difficult to overlook its camera performance and water proof functionality. Video shooing comparison with Z2. S5 did really great. except auto focus. I have seen other tests where it did well in auto focus. Not sure why AF did not work in these tests. Tap focus works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_1_ayEHazg
I wouldn't call it lag, but there is a slight delay sometimes when switching and launching apps. It was mostly remedied by going in Dev options and changing animation to 0.5X. I turned off all the TW stuff and disabled all the the carrier installed bloat, so it's pretty smooth I'd say.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Temptation was too great, so picked up a S5 yesterday after a brief stint with the M8.

Overall I'm more satisfied so far with the S5 than the M8. The M8's materials and unibody construction did feel good in hand, but the power button placement required too much hand shimmy to reach. There were some QC issues that bugged me such as the speaker grill not flush with the screen, and playing music would cause random skips/pops. Sense 6.0 is very smooth so props to HTC. Samsung's new Touchwiz is better but nowhere near the optimization that Sense 6.0 brings.

The S5 despite it's plastic build is pretty solid, and because of the grippy texture on the back felt more secure in hand. Replaceable batteries is always a plus but that stupid charging flap will drive me nuts, so I will order the Qi compatible back once Samsung decides to release it so I can use my wireless chargers.

I was thoroughly surprised when setting up iCloud through the native email client on TW, and it gave me the option of Push. Has that always been there? Don't remember Samsung supporting Push email of iCloud when I had my S4.

lol, I did the same thing. M8 was nice, but too long, too slippery, heavy ... didn't seem like much an upgrade from the HTC One.

I'm no fan of Samsung but I thought I'd give the S5 a try. It was either that or the Nexus 5. The S5 seems to be the best android phone available right now so I'm going to keep it for my second line. Can't beat my iPhone, it's the phone I use 80% of the day.

fr4c - how are you liking your S5 so far? Are you going to keep it?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
lol, I did the same thing. M8 was nice, but too long, too slippery, heavy ... didn't seem like much an upgrade from the HTC One.

I'm no fan of Samsung but I thought I'd give the S5 a try. It was either that or the Nexus 5. The S5 seems to be the best android phone available right now so I'm going to keep it for my second line. Can't beat my iPhone, it's the phone I use 80% of the day.

Wow, an S5 as a secondary phone. Quite a luxury....
I can see a cheap Nexus 5 as a second phone , but I'm happy for you :D

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel

Yes, I agree with you 100% and it's exactly how I felt about the M8 after 2 weeks of using it. It's a beautiful device and I'm always tempted to pick it up just to play around with it, but once its in my hand its apparent that it falls short in ergonomics and just doesn't feel balanced. The weight distribution tends to lean top/screen heavy, and the smooth finish on the Gunmetal didn't help with the grip. I wish AT&T carried the Glacial Silver during launch as I think the texture would be better.

I was stuck on deciding with M8/S5 vs Nexus 5 as well, and ended up going the HTC/Samsung route because of the better battery life. SOT was insane on the M8 and the S5 is right up there. Had the Nexus 5 when it first came out and was not very happy with the battery life, and because this was a personal phone I wanted something with a better camera + SD card slot for when I want to record videos and take pictures.

So far pretty happy with the S5, except for minor gripes such as the charging port cover which can be fixed once I get my hands on the OEM wireless charging back. I'm using a iPhone 5S for my work phone so it's great to be able to have both and enjoy both ecosystems.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014

Comparison between M8 vs M7. They are very similar in length except for soft keys. HTC definitely wasted lot of space for such a tall phone. I think, they targeted for iphone sort of look.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/24/original/qututy5a.jpg

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Galaxy S5 hasn't any optical image stabilization.
Meant the new lenses phones are using, it helps with the digital stabilization. I know the phones I've had and used without digital stabilization or at least that's as good as the new phones don't have that rattle, but even the G2 which has optical stabilization has a similar rattle. High end cameras do as well, our dslr does. But on the phones the second you open up the camera it stops so it's def something to do with the lens control.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

On the M8 I like audio and Sense feels pretty lean and responsive but the UI look is drab and sorta utilitarian. Also, I absolutely do not like the screen. Flat out, I think it's pretty bad. Very stale looking colors and blah contrast. It's needs the saturation turned up a few ticks. It just doesn't come close to the LG G2 or S5 screens.

And then there is the camera which I thought took washed out pics.

HTC is so very close to hitting the mark. Their design language is really good right now. Just fix two or three things.

That said, I think the S5 is the best android phone you can get and is good enough to bring me back to android. The screen is brilliant and the experience is the best of any android phone on the market. I'm really enjoying it.

Anyone that knows my post history knows I don't shill for Samsung or android, and I really like Apple. It's all about the best product and for now that is easily the Samsung S5. That could change in 5 months, but as it stands the S5 is the phone to beat.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
So, I'm thinking about buying the S5, even though I had dismissed it because of its size. One thing that bugs me, though, is that Verizon removed the Internet app. I actually like the Samsung Internet app better than Chrome, because it has immersive mode and a good-looking UI.

Is there any way to get the Samsung Internet browser app on the Verizon S5?

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Which version of S5 (Verizon/ATT) is better to get in terms future proof for using with other networks and Asian countries with GSM carriers. Is there any difference in functionality and performance between ATT and Verizon versions. I am almost ready to pull the trigger.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
On the M8 I like audio and Sense feels pretty lean and responsive but the UI look is drab and sorta utilitarian. Also, I absolutely do not like the screen. Flat out, I think it's pretty bad. Very stale looking colors and blah contrast. It's needs the saturation turned up a few ticks. It just doesn't come close to the LG G2 or S5 screens.

And then there is the camera which I thought took washed out pics.

HTC is so very close to hitting the mark. Their design language is really good right now. Just fix two or three things.

That said, I think the S5 is the best android phone you can get and is good enough to bring me back to android. The screen is brilliant and the experience is the best of any android phone on the market. I'm really enjoying it.

Anyone that knows my post history knows I don't shill for Samsung or android, and I really like Apple. It's all about the best product and for now that is easily the Samsung S5. That could change in 5 months, but as it stands the S5 is the phone to beat.

Not according to Chris Nacca, M8 screen is better, speakers, blink feed. Oh and the lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQKnyvJkLs

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Don't know who Chris Nacca is, but his lucidity is suspect if on any level he believes the M8 screen is better than the S5.

Speakers yes.

Blinkfeed yes, but I personally would turn it off as it's still a pale shadow of the Flipboard app.

Yeah he knows nothing;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Don't know who Chris Nacca is, but his lucidity is suspect if on any level he believes the M8 screen is better than the S5.

Speakers yes.

Blinkfeed yes, but I personally would turn it off as it's still a pale shadow of the Flipboard app.

Well...that is one guy's opinion...now let see what the experts have to say!
They say the Galaxy S5 has the best display on a smartphone they have ever tested.....including the HTC One M8....

Best Smartphone Display: Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best Smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. The Galaxy S5 has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch – an impressive achievement for OLED technology!

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Well...that is one guy's opinion...now let see what the experts have to say!
They say the Galaxy S5 has the best display on a smartphone they have ever tested.....including the HTC One M8....

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S5_ShootOut_1.htm

Seriously if it didn't lag, have speaker vibration, crappy charge port, ugly chrome bezel, had better call quality/reception, I would have bought one, I need a second phone.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
So, I'm thinking about buying the S5, even though I had dismissed it because of its size. One thing that bugs me, though, is that Verizon removed the Internet app. I actually like the Samsung Internet app better than Chrome, because it has immersive mode and a good-looking UI.

Is there any way to get the Samsung Internet browser app on the Verizon S5?

Definitely. Just search something like "GS5 internet apk" in google and somebody will have something on xda eventually.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Seriously if it didn't lag, have speaker vibration, crappy charge port, ugly chrome bezel, had better call quality/reception, I would have bought one, I need a second phone.

Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

If my S5 was laggy I would say so. It isn't. Not even close. I've got Art enabled, and all the samsung and ATT bloat disabled. It runs like a dream, not nary a stutter. If it lagged, I'd be posting about all all over this section of the forum.

Speaker vibration. It is there. Was there actually. Since adding the Ringke Slim it seems to be acting as an insulator and acoustic deadening material which has eliminated any vibration. For those that think it's an issue, don't buy it. If I used the internal speaker a lot that would be a point of concern.

Not sure how a USB 3.0 port that charges a 2800 mAh faster than any other smartphone on the market and is dust and water proof and protects the connection points from corrosion and water damage is "crappy". It is a mystery.

Mind you, the Xperia line and Galaxy S4 Active have sealed doors and I've yet to read about any mass of issues.

What call quality and reception issues are you referring to? Mind you, you kinda need to live with a phone for a period of time to really ascertain something like call quality and reception since towers, network congestion, and carrier can play a factor.

I know you're enamored with the M8 and all it's terrible photos, but no need to poo-poo on the S5, which pretty universally is being regarded as the top android phone at the moment. With good reason. It's a damn good phone.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

If my S5 was laggy I would say so. It isn't. Not even close. I've got Art enabled, and all the samsung and ATT bloat disabled. It runs like a dream, not nary a stutter. If it lagged, I'd be posting about all all over this section of the forum.

Speaker vibration. It is there. Was there actually. Since adding the Ringke Slim it seems to be acting as an insulator and acoustic deadening material which has eliminated any vibration. For those that think it's an issue, don't buy it. If I used the internal speaker a lot that would be a point of concern.

Not sure how a USB 3.0 port that charges a 2800 mAh faster than any other smartphone on the market and is dust and water proof and protects the connection points from corrosion and water damage is "crappy". It is a mystery.

Mind you, the Xperia line and Galaxy S4 Active have sealed doors and I've yet to read about any mass of issues.

What call quality and reception issues are you referring to? Mind you, you kinda need to live with a phone for a period of time to really ascertain something like call quality and reception since towers, network congestion, and carrier can play a factor.

I know you're enamored with the M8 and all it's terrible photos, but no need to poo-poo on the S5, which pretty universally is being regarded as the top android phone at the moment. With good reason. It's a damn good phone.

What are you a 10 year old or something?.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Nice comeback Robster, that'll show him what for......

lol

We'll this is the problem with forum/ internet,
1. I don't know if you are having a shot at me or are serious.
2. How do we know they are a him.
3. Maybe they are a 10 or 12 year old:) Who knows??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We'll this is the problem with forum/ internet,
1. I don't know if you are having a shot at me or are serious.
2. How do we know they are a him.
3. Maybe they are a 10 or 12 year old:) Who knows??

1. regardless - forum posters should always measure their temperament and give people the benefit of the doubt.

2. it makes no difference - rise above tit for tat squabbling. There is an old saying 'if you haven't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.... If you think a poster is being apeish in their behaviour - give credit to the other readers on the forum as they are more than capable of discerning a pattern of silly behaviour and bickering. If you think a poster has crossed a line in rudeness - report the post. That's what report is there for.

3. Re : last comment - see 1 & 2

The end result is a better forum for all users. I have already had to ask people to stop squabbling and posting tit for tat nonsense between this and the M8 threads. No one is saying its wrong to criticise a product or device, it is not, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But when criticism just comes out as a tirade of abuse or without any defined example or explanation - its certainly not for the benefit of the readers on the forum - it just comes across as rudeness and an attempt at soliciting a negative response.

Like I said previously I can't believe that I have to even ask people to show each other respect and if you can't post a response to someone that is anything other than a jibe, then don't bother posting anything on here at all. For a start it's against the MacRumors forum rules and its just poor etiquette.

I'm not targeting you specifically, but referring to ALL posters on the forum. Nastiness on the forum just reflects badly on all of the regular posters on this forum who actually want to enjoy discussions and conversations with other posters here who are interested in sharing their experiences and frustrations (in a constructive way) of non Apple/iOS products.

So yes folks... BEHAVE!!! or I'll get out the whip and flog you .... and not in a kinky way.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
1. regardless - forum posters should always measure their temperament and give people the benefit of the doubt.

2. it makes no difference - rise above tit for tat squabbling. There is an old saying 'if you haven't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.... If you think a poster is being apeish in their behaviour - give credit to the other readers on the forum as they are more than capable of discerning a pattern of silly behaviour and bickering. If you think a poster has crossed a line in rudeness - report the post. That's what report is there for.

3. Re : last comment - see 1 & 2

The end result is a better forum for all users. I have already had to ask people to stop squabbling and posting tit for tat nonsense between this and the M8 threads. No one is saying its wrong to criticise a product or device, it is not, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But when criticism just comes out as a tirade of abuse or without any defined example or explanation - its certainly not for the benefit of the readers on the forum - it just comes across as rudeness and an attempt at soliciting a negative response.

Like I said previously I can't believe that I have to even ask people to show each other respect and if you can't post a response to someone that is anything other than a jibe, then don't bother posting anything on here at all. For a start it's against the MacRumors forum rules and its just poor etiquette.

I'm not targeting you specifically, but referring to ALL posters on the forum. Nastiness on the forum just reflects badly on all of the regular posters on this forum who actually want to enjoy discussions and conversations with other posters here who are interested in sharing their experiences and frustrations (in a constructive way) of non Apple/iOS products.

So yes folks... BEHAVE!!! or I'll get out the whip and flog you .... and not in a kinky way.

Yeah well good luck of the Irish with that:) it's funny how out of the billions of people on earth, there is a few hundred or so on here from opposite sides of the world arguing about a phone.

Forums are just like walking through a shopping center, you are guaranteed to come across some wankers:eek:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Former S4 owner, was pretty happy with the size and shape of the S4.

I would seriously consider the S5 over the M8, but NOT if your on ATT...frigging locked bootloader, and not even Root available for the ATT S5 yet, and development is looking grim on the ATT S5 :(

I at least need basic Root on any Android phone I pick up, just for deleting bloatware, and having access and control of the files, and installing certain apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc...

So I picked up a Gunmetal Grey M8 a few days ago, rooted it, and installed a custom ROM right out of the box. It's heavier than I prefer, and no bottom home button to press is awkward adjustment, but this phone is screaming fast compared to my S4, and and battery life these last few days seems to be a major improvement over my S4. Overall I like this M8. But I did see a coworker with a new S5 yesterday, and I was a bit jealous for some reason, that screen did look beautiful, and is a lightweight phone.

I have like 10 more days to return it and get an S5, but only if Root is achieved on the ATT S5 will I make the exchange.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Nice reply......
Sometimes you just have sit back and watch what someone's actions are.....not what he says. But what he actually does. This will show their true character.....There are a couple of posters here in this thread that hate the S5 and continually post as much negative stuff as they can. Makes no sense if they do not want the phone so be it......but let those that want to discuss it do that without have to read their FUD.

----------

Former S4 owner, was pretty happy with the size and shape of the S4.

I would seriously consider the S5 over the M8, but NOT if your on ATT...frigging locked bootloader, and not even Root available for the ATT S5 yet, and development is looking grim on the ATT S5 :(

I at least need basic Root on any Android phone I pick up, just for deleting bloatware, and having access and control of the files, and installing certain apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc...

So I picked up a Gunmetal Grey M8 a few days ago, rooted it, and installed a custom ROM right out of the box. It's heavier than I prefer, and no bottom home button to press is awkward adjustment, but this phone is screaming fast compared to my S4, and and battery life these last few days seems to be a major improvement over my S4. Overall I like this M8. But I did see a coworker with a new S5 yesterday, and I was a bit jealous for some reason, that screen did look beautiful, and is a lightweight phone.

I have like 10 more days to return it and get an S5, but only if Root is achieved on the ATT S5 will I make the exchange.
Read some of the XDA Forums here: They are buying the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 that comes with an unlocked boot loader. then just simply insert your AT&T sim and it works and gets LTE. Or just get a t_Mobile S% and stay on TMO. But the TMO S5 has an unlocked boot loader. I have the AT&T S5 and it does not look like root or roms for me.........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.