Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Last edited:

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
New folders look nice, but 'folders' were the least of Touchwiz's aesthetic problems.

I'm sorry, I must be missing something, by 'folders' do you mean the blue folder icon with smaller app icons pasted on top? (you can even see the edges of the folder icon behind the top layer).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm sorry, I must be missing something, by 'folders' do you mean the blue folder icon with smaller app icons pasted on top? (you can even see the edges of the folder icon behind the top layer).

Yes..

The folder here on the main screen with google apps in is different to current touchwiz on S4 & Note 3

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-leaks-ahead-of-event.jpg.png new folder style

samsung-galaxy-note-3-review-4.jpg current folder style

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The S5 has been leaked. The fingerprint scanner requires a user to swipe their finger 8 times to register their print and only fingerprints can be registered at once.

It also looks very ugly - especially the back casing which looks cheap and tacky.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...ch-specs-fingerprint-scanner-confirmed-487535

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-...rproof-fingerprint-sensor-16MP-camera_id53033

Sorry but i read both articles…but did not see anything about using the fingerprint scanner. Plus it is a FINGERPRINT scanner…what other prints did you want it to read? I don't we know enough yet to really understand how it all works…..they phone has not been released yet…..no one has posted any "hands on" experience yet……. Later today and we will see….

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Sorry but i read both articles…but did not see anything about using the fingerprint scanner. Plus it is a FINGERPRINT scanner…what other prints did you want it to read? I don't we know enough yet to really understand how it all works…..they phone has not been released yet…..no one has posted any "hands on" experience yet……. Later today and we will see….

Actually, the article at NDTV does discuss how the fingerprint scanner works. It states that a forum user says you have to swipe your fingerprint 8 times to register it and you can only register 3 fingerprints at one time. My original post omitted the 'three'. I've updated my original post.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Actually, the article at NDTV does discuss how the fingerprint scanner works. It states that a forum user says you have to swipe your fingerprint 8 times to register it and you can only register 3 fingerprints at one time. My original post omitted the 'three'. I've updated my original post.

3 fingers should be plenty. I have 4 registered on my 5s, but the 4th finger rarely gets used (both thumbs and both index)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's interesting that Samsung is going so big. I just read an article (I think it was from the London Telegraph) that in Europe at least, phones over 5" aren't selling that well. Seems people want bigger but not phablet territory.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I think that its highly unlikely that the leaked phone is a Galaxy S5 (or is it me just hoping for something radically different form the S3/4)..Lets wait and see..The unveiling will be @ 2PM ET..

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I really am shocked they went bigger. Does that mean the note 4 will be 7"?

Me too, I don't see the point of going bigger in this category of phone. Could it be an in-between model we're seeing here, and they're coming out with a "regular" ~5" size S5 as well? Perhaps such a phone could be the rumored premium model in metal etc.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Yes..

The folder here on the main screen with google apps in is different to current touchwiz on S4 & Note 3

View attachment 462356 new folder style

View attachment 462357 current folder style
I personally don't like that folder style. At least with the current folder style, the folder can look somewhat different depending on the icons. This new folder style will look pretty redundant to me once I have more than 2 on a screen as I like using folders on the home screens.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I personally don't like that folder style. At least with the current folder style, the folder can look somewhat different depending on the icons. This new folder style will look pretty redundant to me once I have more than 2 on a screen as I like using folders on the home screens.

Yeah, it looks like the folder icons used by LG.

----------

USB door? What is this, 2007?

Maybe this phone is waterproof?

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Some rumours suggest that the prime varient with the 2k display and the more "premium" finish wont be available for sale before the summer. If this is the case, samsung may decide to do a seperate dedicated event for its launch to maximise coverage and create maximum impact.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5_live_pictures_and_specs_leak-news-7917.php

GSMArena indicates that the S5 has a 5.0" screen and a 16MP camera.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It doesn't top out the Xperia Z2.

I'm sorry but I think this is fugly. How is it that other Android manufactures seem to be able to design nice looking phones but not Samsung? This looks like faux leather looking plastic with dimples. But hey, it will litter up the spec sheet so the tech geeks will love it.

20p2brb.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.