Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Its worse than a kid waiting for Christmas.
I finally got the email the my MBA was at the store ready for pick up. :cool:
Due on the 30th when i ordered it on line in the Apple store and it arrived on the 27th. It came 99% charged and has been updating all night.
The thread claiming the Yosemite screen is washed out is wrong about this one. The screen is great. Plenty sharp with great contrast. The colors are verry rich.

For giggles give this a shot, I have been recommending people try this color profile. WORKED GREAT on my 2015 MBA i just picked up. Made the colors even more rich and contrast better from the stock profile. Let me know how it goes. Cant hurt to try! Everyone who has tired pretty much has had success.

http://theultralinx.com/2013/03/macb...r-hack-screen/

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
For giggles give this a shot, I have been recommending people try this color profile. WORKED GREAT on my 2015 MBA i just picked up. Made the colors even more rich and contrast better from the stock profile. Let me know how it goes. Cant hurt to try! Everyone who has tired pretty much has had success.

http://theultralinx.com/2013/03/macb...r-hack-screen/

hmmm
I've been following this hack since I saw it elsewhere a few weeks ago. I've saved the link in my notepad.
I just followed your ink on my new MBA and I'm looking at a 404 Error page on first attempt.
Just for giggles, i'll try again or follow my other link and get back. Typing this on a MacMini.

----------

hmmm
I've been following this hack since I saw it elsewhere a few weeks ago. I've saved the link in my notepad.
I just followed your ink on my new MBA and I'm looking at a 404 Error page on first attempt.
Just for giggles, i'll try again or follow my other link and get back. Typing this on a MacMini.
-------------

I followed my link, and got the message that I needed Xcode installed.
I will follow up one day but will finish other aspects of setting this new baby up first.
Wow this thing is fast. I've never messed with a ssd before. I can see why everyone wants one lol :)

Last edited:

sharp01

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
Takes a long time...

To be honest I did not know it would take that long to get a MBA!
I ordered mine (MBA 11'' 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD model 2015) on Wednesday night - around 6PM (Wednesday 29 April 14). It gave me an estimate delivery between 8 and 12 of May! That means between 9 and 13 days!
While I get it it is "8GB RAM" instead of the default 4GB, it is a hell of a lot of time to wait for. It is now Monday and the status is still "Order being processed". I paid over a G for this computer (11 inch computer) and yes I love :apple: but man, that's a SLOW service!
So if you need your computer delivered fast... go to the store or check elsewhere (otherwise, stick to the :apple: online store - if no hurry :D).

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
To be honest I did not know it would take that long to get a MBA!
I ordered mine (MBA 11'' 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD model 2015) on Wednesday night - around 6PM (Wednesday 29 April 14). It gave me an estimate delivery between 8 and 12 of May! That means between 9 and 13 days!
While I get it it is "8GB RAM" instead of the default 4GB, it is a hell of a lot of time to wait for. It is now Monday and the status is still "Order being processed". I paid over a G for this computer (11 inch computer) and yes I love :apple: but man, that's a SLOW service!
So if you need your computer delivered fast... go to the store or check elsewhere (otherwise, stick to the :apple: online store - if no hurry :D).

Yup, same thing happened to me but I did get mine a little earlier than its original projection. I don't think they keep any in stock except for the base model. So the 30th pulled up as the original delivery date, but the status changed after the payment cleared to April 28th. The status stayed with that date until the 27th and that morning I got the email that it was ready for pick up. So overall, three days were shaved off from the original delivery date. I've had it for just a few days and I am very impressed with its build and its performance.

LetsTryMac

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
After a long time looking at apple products, I've saida to myself let's try mac....

I went for a new MBA 11" 2014 (1,4ghz, 8gb, 128gb). (17% discount....)
I will use it for work, so take notes, and run between meetings.

I've already seen some persons recomending to buy those tiny usb keys than can be permenent in the MBA...
Is this a good option?

What kind of accessories is everyone buying?
I'm thinking of making my own sleeve.... Do I face any problem to scratch the MBA?

sharp01

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
A few things you wanna get...

I've already seen some persons recomending to buy those tiny usb keys than can be permenent in the MBA...
Is this a good option?

What kind of accessories is everyone buying?

I think mac is the best choice you could have made! Both for production and for entertainment/creativity.

Well yes, you can buy an external micro USB flash that will just stay into your mac (a USB 3.0 or some) - they are rather cheap.

Things you might wanna buy if you move a lot and need to take your Mac with you in meetings or even just to a coffee shop is a sleeve and/or a case. Make sure you take one that is goo quality and you can find these either on the store directly (too expensive from my view point) or go on amazon.com for example where you can find $10-30 ones that are great and that will protect your little guy.

If you need an external monitor you can buy a dongle (thunderbolt and mini-port are the same in this very case) that will convert form VGI, DVI, HDMI, etc. to thunderbolt or a thunderbolt 2 for 4K monitors.

Again, not sure what your needs are and what you use it for but above are my advice for your new mac!

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
Be VERY worried.

i'm in the UK and ordered a refurb 2013 MBA 11 inch/i5/4GB/128GB for £599 and got the delivery yesterday. After setting it up i noticed they have sent me the one with i7 CPU (4650U) with the following spec.

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B12

anybody know if this is 2013 model or 2012? should i be worried or i just got a better spec free? :)

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
Calibrate samsung screen on 2014 11" mba

I like my screen, its a samsung. but is there a way to make it even better. There are calibrations for the lg screens, but how about samsung.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I've read, I think even earlier in this same thread, that it doesn't matter who manufactured the screen that the link provided will help no matter which make screen you have.
I just got one of the 2015 models however my screen is so good I'm not going to mess with downloading it.

Chrissybear

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Solihull UK
MacBook Air 11" on its way!

Yay!

Just dropped for a pretty much maxed-out 11" Air i7 with 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD.

Benchmarks look to rival the rMBP so really looking forward to 18-20 May...

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Just pulled the trigger on a new 2015 MBA 13" 128gb 1.6ghz with 8gb of ram :D My 2011 MBA battery isn't great these days and im not happy with the retina UI lag so a new MBA it is. My 2011 MBA is an excellent machine, its so good i hardly use my 27" iMac lol.

Last edited:

Chrissybear

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Solihull UK
good for you! don't ya just hate waiting though?

Sure do, Ron, but it gives me time to get a nice slipcase for it and maybe think about accessories! ;)

----------

Just pulled the trigger on a new 2015 13" 128gb MBA 1.6ghz with 8gb of ram :D My 2011 MBA battery isn't great these days and im not happy with the retina UI lag so a new MBA it is.

The retina UI lag is a factor for me too. I'd rather have something buttery smooth than laggy and the Air screens I've seen in the stores are nowhere near as bad as some make them out to be.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Just pulled the trigger on a new 2015 MBA 13" 128gb 1.6ghz with 8gb of ram :D My 2011 MBA battery isn't great these days and im not happy with the retina UI lag so a new MBA it is. My 2011 MBA is an excellent machine, its so good i hardly use my 27" iMac lol.

I've had my maxed out MBA for 2 weeks and the speed and smoothmess are qualities I've not experienced before. I just love it. I recently read that the batterirs is all Apple devices are the same type and it worries me that if i leave it plugged in during use that I will hurt the batteries longevity. Regarding your 2011 that has a wayning battery, did you use it while charging or did you charge it to full, and use it off power until the battery needed a charge again. If you dont mind me asking, what would you have done differently to keep the battery in top shape?

Edit:
Well a little research ain't a bad thing. I found this regarding battery care for Apple laptops. It is worth a read.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9875442/

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I've had my maxed out MBA for 2 weeks and the speed and smoothmess are qualities I've not experienced before. I just love it. I recently read that the batterirs is all Apple devices are the same type and it worries me that if i leave it plugged in during use that I will hurt the batteries longevity. Regarding your 2011 that has a wayning battery, did you use it while charging or did you charge it to full, and use it off power until the battery needed a charge again. If you dont mind me asking, what would you have done differently to keep the battery in top shape?

The issue with the 2011 MBA is the cpu is power hungry so even from new the battery life wasn't great. I used it while charging sometimes but i mostly used it off the plug and charged it at around 10%. There is nothing else i could have done to make the battery last much longer, its still ok with 5500mah on a full charge compared to 6700mah when new. The new MBA's are much more power efficient :)

LetsTryMac

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
I'll receive my mac in a few days :D
MBA 2014 11" 1,4, 8gb, 128gb

I'll use a external drive to store and exchange data with my windows machines.
Should I instal NTFS drivers on my mac?
Should I use a FAT32 drive?
Is there a way to put windows reading the mac filesystem?

I don't know what filesystyem to put on my external HDD :S

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'll receive my mac in a few days :D
MBA 2014 11" 1,4, 8gb, 128gb

I'll use a external drive to store and exchange data with my windows machines.
Should I instal NTFS drivers on my mac?
Should I use a FAT32 drive?
Is there a way to put windows reading the mac filesystem?

I don't know what filesystyem to put on my external HDD :S

I don't mind EXFAT myself as it allows files larger then 4gb.

Chrissybear

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Solihull UK
good for you! don't ya just hate waiting though?

Re. Waiting.... I still am!

My BTO shipped on 14th, stuck in Warsaw, Poland since the 15th! Whaaaat?

I get this message every morning in my email. "Warsaw, Poland 19/05/2015 5:05 A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

I wonder if UPS have lost it? (In more ways than one!) :(:(:(:(:(:(

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Re. Waiting.... I still am!

My BTO shipped on 14th, stuck in Warsaw, Poland since the 15th! Whaaaat?

I get this message every morning in my email. "Warsaw, Poland 19/05/2015 5:05 A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

I wonder if UPS have lost it? (In more ways than one!) :(:(:(:(:(:(

Sad. They hopefully have at the very least ordered another with the same specs if it has in fact been lost or stolen from them.

Chrissybear

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Solihull UK
Sad. They hopefully have at the very least ordered another with the same specs if it has in fact been lost or stolen from them.

I got in touch with Apple today and they are chasing it from their end too. They were very apologetic. (Not apologetic enough to offer me an upgrade though :D:D:D)

So frustrating! It's taken me months to decide exactly which Apple laptop to get as my first one, but it seems it doesn't quite want to come to me yet!

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Chrissybear

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Solihull UK
How about this?

Even for an Apple delivery to UK this is bizarre! I think it might be in Germany now, but then who knows?

Warsaw, Poland 20/05/2015 21:14 A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Koeln, Germany 20/05/2015 20:56 Arrival Scan

Warsaw, Poland 20/05/2015 19:30 Departure Scan

Almaty, Kazakhstan 20/05/2015 18:07 Departure Scan

Warsaw, Poland 20/05/2015 4:33 A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible.

Warsaw, Poland 19/05/2015 5:05 A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible.

Warsaw, Poland 18/05/2015 1:54 A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible.

Warsaw, Poland 15/05/2015 21:19 Departure Scan

Almaty, Kazakhstan 15/05/2015 15:18 Arrival Scan

15/05/2015 10:31 Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release. / Your package was released by the clearing agency.

15/05/2015 6:48 Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.

Incheon, Korea, Republic of 15/05/2015 11:54 Departure Scan

15/05/2015 8:35 Arrival Scan

Shanghai, China 15/05/2015 5:57 Departure Scan

Shanghai, China 14/05/2015 20:24 Export Scan

14/05/2015 17:53 Arrival Scan

14/05/2015 17:38 Departure Scan

China 14/05/2015 0:03 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.