Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Ok, now I start to believe the MBA will arrive tomorrow - now arrived to Koeln in Germany.
It took about 4 hours from Korea to Germany. Closer and closer 😁

I had a visitor from UPS already here today who delivered the package to send in my old MBA in.
Now packed and ready to return to source.

Reactions: judethat

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
MBA arrived well, and greeting the bigger sibling, and some smaller ones 😁

1711119185149.jpeg

holztiger

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
Hi, just ordered 13“ 16GB/1TB model, midnight colour. Delivery date 19th-21st March.
I am really looking forward. Not cheap almost €2.000,- but less than M3 Pro with same config. 😉
and much lighter and thinner and no fans!
Additional ports can be added easily with mobile hub beside desk docking station.
Due to dual ext. display support no more need to go for M3 Pro or M2 Pro.
I think/hope M3 is sufficient but benchmarks are not bad. Was afraid of trying base model 8/256.

Btw. what if Apple adds the dual monitor support (lid closed) to M1 or M2 devices? 🫢
received MBA13M3 on March 13th and device was picked up for return today. Although it‘s great I am still not sure about which finally to choose. Performance should be fine for many years and I really like the fanless design it‘s lightweight and midnight color but the 15“ could be what I am missing.
I also do not miss SD-Card reader, as I did not use my dslr nor powershot for years now since iPhone XS came out and picture and video quality of following iPhones really improved.
Also hdmi is not really needed for me, wireless mirroring is just fine.

If not the dual ext. display support came along with M3 I would have chosen an M1/2 Pro.
As there is not a really difference in size between 14.3“ and 13.6“ the smaller and lighter Air was fine.
But what I noticed using the smaller air these days was sometimes the wish for a bigger display.

The difference e.g. from an M1 iPad Air with keyboard to 13“ MBA was not that big as the iPad could easily be my travel device, while the 15“ air a more all in one working device with no urgent need for an external display.

What disappointed me was the fact that I have to connect two separate cables to get dual monitor support. As I am using also a HP windows notebook on an HP USB-C dock G5 two usb-c connections are necessary. Maybe my fault thought it is easier. So I have to connect a second cable from display hdmi->usb-c as DPs are already connected to the dock.
Also bluetooth keyboards from Microsoft and HP are not really top integrated into MacOS.

Only thing is stepping up in Apples universe from M2 Air -> M3, from 8/256 -> 16/1TB, from 13“->15“, man already reaching MacBook Pros… what next?

David1986H

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Last week I brought a base line 13" M3 MBA to replace my 2015 27" iMac.

This will be my secondary machine (as I won't be using it much) that I can also travel with, didn't need any upgrades as I have a 16" M3 Max as my daily.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
Just ordered my first ever MBA to replace an iPad Air 2, and 2014 MBP.

Re-ordered with the 70W Power Adapter. I hope it's the new GaN one: should run cooler than non-GaN adapters.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.10.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.10.05 PM.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

holztiger

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
received MBA13M3 on March 13th and device was picked up for return today. Although it‘s great I am still not sure about which finally to choose. Performance should be fine for many years and I really like the fanless design it‘s lightweight and midnight color but the 15“ could be what I am missing.
I also do not miss SD-Card reader, as I did not use my dslr nor powershot for years now since iPhone XS came out and picture and video quality of following iPhones really improved.
Also hdmi is not really needed for me, wireless mirroring is just fine.

If not the dual ext. display support came along with M3 I would have chosen an M1/2 Pro.
As there is not a really difference in size between 14.3“ and 13.6“ the smaller and lighter Air was fine.
But what I noticed using the smaller air these days was sometimes the wish for a bigger display.

The difference e.g. from an M1 iPad Air with keyboard to 13“ MBA was not that big as the iPad could easily be my travel device, while the 15“ air a more all in one working device with no urgent need for an external display.

What disappointed me was the fact that I have to connect two separate cables to get dual monitor support. As I am using also a HP windows notebook on an HP USB-C dock G5 two usb-c connections are necessary. Maybe my fault thought it is easier. So I have to connect a second cable from display hdmi->usb-c as DPs are already connected to the dock.
Also bluetooth keyboards from Microsoft and HP are not really top integrated into MacOS.

Only thing is stepping up in Apples universe from M2 Air -> M3, from 8/256 -> 16/1TB, from 13“->15“, man already reaching MacBook Pros… what next?
ordered now a MBA 15“ M3 with 16GB/1TB in space grey. Although I like midnight very much I am afraid of scratches and cleaning in long term use. Silver is classic but reflections in dark night from display or outside from sun lead me to space grey which was choosen for many orher Apple devices. MBA should arrive end of April but expect up to one week earlier. KR

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Hmm - 13" orders with 16/24 GB and 512/1TB delays are pushing out three weeks! Were there some big orders coming through? Supply constraints? Earthquake effects?

Wondering for a friend.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Anybody have a recent ship/delivery date for a CTO Air? Are they shipping well ahead of the originally estimated arrival window?

galactic orange

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2018
Hmm - 13" orders with 16/24 GB and 512/1TB delays are pushing out three weeks! Were there some big orders coming through? Supply constraints? Earthquake effects?

Wondering for a friend.
Ordered a maxed MBA 15” M3 24GB/2TB in silver on 4/10. Delivery scheduled for 4/15 - 4/19. Not yet shipped, but no delay. It will replace an Intel i7 2020 MBA to be used mainly for Logic Pro and office work. I wanted as much RAM and as large a screen as possible for orchestral templates, but didn’t want to give up the MBA slim form factor.

holztiger

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
ordered now a MBA 15“ M3 with 16GB/1TB in space grey. Although I like midnight very much I am afraid of scratches and cleaning in long term use. Silver is classic but reflections in dark night from display or outside from sun lead me to space grey which was choosen for many orher Apple devices. MBA should arrive end of April but expect up to one week earlier. KR
Received MBA15 today! That was really quick Apple respect! Ordered on 4/6, yesterday in Hongkong on 4/12 in Austria over Germany.
First impressions - I like it really much, great display wow! Noticeably bigger and heavier as the 13“ Air but solid and better speakers. Also the space grey color looks good for me a compromise between the better looking but more sensitive midnight and the classic robust metallic look but much more reflecting silver, I think I am gonna keep it. If not the dual ext. display support was a must have for me I would have chosen an M2 MBA15 which is available about nearly €500 cheaper from refurbished store.

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Similar to the title, I just got AND refurbished a later Intel MacBook Air for use at my workplace, to take the place of my 2015 Retina 15" MacBook Pro that won't run the latest versions of Slack and Apple Configurator. It's a 2018 Retina MacBook Air in Space Gray, with the standard 1.6 GHz dual-core i5 chip but also with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD! When I got it, the stock battery was badly depleted; it could hold a 1% charge when plugged in, but even with that while plugged in, the Air would be VERY sluggish.
26A14677-441A-4C28-8F6F-C484B66C320D_1_102_a.jpeg

I would know this, because after learning I could wipe and revive/reset T2 chip Macs via Apple Configurator (requiring the host Mac has a Thunderbolt 3 port as well), I was able to remove the firmware password and wipe the drive on this Air by hooking it up to my main M1 MacBook Air I had to start bringing in to get work done. (This is another reason why I'm going to use that as my work computer, to have a Thunderbolt 3-enabled Mac handy for the job.) But since it couldn't support external drive booting at first, I had to install the MacOS via Internet Recovery, and due to the bad battery, it was incredibly slow.
8D537C20-D249-4230-81ED-63E974E807DF_1_105_c.jpeg

Once that was all set, I could boot it into the on-board Recovery Mode and enable external drive booting. I was also pleased to see it didn't have an activation lock or remote management. So with me taking this upcoming week off from my workplace to recharge (no pun intended), I figured I could use the time to take it home to my own little workshop and replace the battery,
BE77E515-4034-469A-83CC-907415204331_1_105_c.jpeg

At the time I didn't know you could do it without disassembling the logic board (as the iFixit guide says), but I wanted to play it safe anyway.

BC08CBF0-1C74-4E76-8744-8F4F28605C83_1_105_c.jpeg

Me pulling an adhesive strip off the old battery. Indeed, like those guides showed, it wasn't too hard, but it did require a bit of long and firm but gentle tugging until it all came off. And at least I didn't break any of the adhesive strips on the battery, the way I did with the ones under the bottoms of the speakers (but I was able to pry the speakers loose with a spudger and then apply new adhesive strips to take their place).

6627D8D3-C76A-42E4-9EDA-39D433397943_1_105_c.jpeg

Me about to swap the dead battery with the new one.

65E8BF4B-F6F8-483C-9D80-ED731D4B9B65_1_105_c.jpeg

Indeed, it now operates more normally with the new battery installed. I was able to re-install Sonoma using my USB thumb drive installer, just to be on the safe side.

BB7EBDED-AE2C-456F-9322-65E97AB737AD_1_201_a.jpeg

Restoring files via a Time Machine backup. For this one, I chose not to transfer the apps, since I won't need all the digital media apps I generally use, and I also removed any large digital media libraries unnecessary for my job (like my Final Cut Pro library).

BA40C7C2-024E-462F-919F-5A0FE9512B2D_1_201_a.jpeg

The mandatory "About This Mac" shot I take with such older Macs I get and refurbish. Sure, such a dual-core i5 is not much compared to my quad-core i7 MacBook Pros, but for work use it should be more than adequate, and the fact it has 16 GB of RAM is a big plus.

82144A4B-CF1D-4A3C-B208-9E1556E36CE5_1_201_a.jpeg

I can even use Universal Control between my main M1 MacBook Air and the 2018 work Air with no fuss!

I'm aware the 2018 MacBook Air may not be able to run MacOS 15 once that comes out later this year, but I should be able to get by with still using Sonoma on it for a while before I decide to give OCLP a shot on it. (Maybe running the newest MacOS via OCLP on the 2018 Air will work better than on the 2015 MacBook Pro.) Regardless, when I go back into work next week, I should be all set for a while!

RockyW

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Ordered a 13" M3 MBA 16GB, I went with 256GB storage as most of my stuff is in iCloud and I'm only using around 80GB on my current MacBook. It is replacing a 2016 13" 2.9 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro.

I ordered Tuesday evening (UK) with an estimated delivery of 30th April - 8th May. Card was charged in the early hours this morning. Does charging the card still indicate imminent movement?

RockyW

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Ordered a 13" M3 MBA 16GB, I went with 256GB storage as most of my stuff is in iCloud and I'm only using around 80GB on my current MacBook. It is replacing a 2016 13" 2.9 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro.

I ordered Tuesday evening (UK) with an estimated delivery of 30th April - 8th May. Card was charged in the early hours this morning. Does charging the card still indicate imminent movement?
Well yes it does!

It has now shipped! I get some sweet Apple discounts off a friend who works at the company on their friends and family scheme, either 17 or 28%. Got a 17% discount on this one which I'm very grateful for.

Reactions: judethat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.