Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeenanKoso

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
btw i wanted to confirm with these recent orders from the refurbished store. was your iMac brand new in original packaging?

Mine was not, no. I wish! There is some damage on the stand, as well as what appears to be a burnt out pixel that I'm pretty bummed about. Any idea if I'd be able to get anything done about that via Apple? I was under the assumption that the only defects would be cosmetic, such as on my stand.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
Mine was not, no. I wish! There is some damage on the stand, as well as what appears to be a burnt out pixel that I'm pretty bummed about. Any idea if I'd be able to get anything done about that via Apple? I was under the assumption that the only defects would be cosmetic, such as on my stand.

i would take the iMac to an apple store for them to look at. a dead pixel should warrant a new computer for you if it is noticeable.

KeenanKoso

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
i would take the iMac to an apple store for them to look at. a dead pixel should warrant a new computer for you if it is noticeable.

Well that would be nice, haha! I'm going to give Apple customer service a call tomorrow, as well as my local apple store. Hopefully they can do something about it.

joelk2

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Well that would be nice, haha! I'm going to give Apple customer service a call tomorrow, as well as my local apple store. Hopefully they can do something about it.

they'll sort it for sure. a refurb should be as good as new.

hockeyamd

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
Lemon

I received my refurb unit yesterday and found it out it had a faulty screen brightness issues . I took it to the local store and they found a few other issues to.

Thats when I learned if you get a refurb lemon the store can not return it for you.

So I had to drag home the lemon and tomorrow I have to drag it to usps.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
I received my refurb unit yesterday and found it out it had a faulty screen brightness issues . I took it to the local store and they found a few other issues to.

Thats when I learned if you get a refurb lemon the store can not return it for you.

So I had to drag home the lemon and tomorrow I have to drag it to usps.

what was wrong with the screen brightness?

danish.

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
First post from a long-time lurker...

Just bought a 2011 21.5" base iMac late last week, and I love it... I've had a number of iDevices for years, and still have, but this is my first mac, and so far I'm very happy.

I thought I'd better pull the trigger before the 2011 iMacs disappeared, as I need (or at least want) the optical drive, and the difference in price between a brand new iMac and one that is priced to sell doesn't match up with the difference in specs, at least for my uses :)

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA

Just bought a 2011 21.5" base iMac late last week, and I love it... I've had a number of iDevices for years, and still have, but this is my first mac, and so far I'm very happy.

I thought I'd better pull the trigger before the 2011 iMacs disappeared, as I need (or at least want) the optical drive, and the difference in price between a brand new iMac and one that is priced to sell doesn't match up with the difference in specs, at least for my uses :)

Same here, got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. Good thing I got it yesterday as my PC died the night before. Talk about timing!

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012

Same here, got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. Good thing I got it yesterday as my PC died the night before. Talk about timing!

did your refurbished iMacs have anything wrong cosmetically?

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Just got my refurb 27" 3.4 GHZ Intel Core i7 + 1TB HD + AMD Radeon 6970M with 2GB of memory. I was fortunate in that I ordered build with the 6970M with 1GB of memory, but they sent me the 2GB instead. I heard of others getting more than they ordered. :)

Much zippier than my old 24" Duo Core iMac, and the extra screen real estate is welcome. It came with 4GB of RAM, but I ordered 16GB from Crucial (2x8GB) for less than $90. Now, I have 20GB of RAM and everything is running smoothly. I may upgrade to 32GB at some point, since the prices have really come down.

I should get a good 4 years (or more) out of this machine without any problem. I don't regret passing on the new iMacs. For the price ($1,797), this iMac is hard to beat. The only thing that would make it significantly faster would be a SSD, but I need the storage more than I need the extra speed.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
Just got my refurb 27" 3.4 GHZ Intel Core i7 + 1TB HD + AMD Radeon 6970M with 2GB of memory. I was fortunate in that I ordered build with the 6970M with 1GB of memory, but they sent me the 2GB instead. I heard of others getting more than they ordered. :)

Much zippier than my old 24" Duo Core iMac, and the extra screen real estate is welcome. It came with 4GB of RAM, but I ordered 16GB from Crucial (2x8GB) for less than $90. Now, I have 20GB of RAM and everything is running smoothly. I may upgrade to 32GB at some point, since the prices have really come down.

I should get a good 4 years (or more) out of this machine without any problem. I don't regret passing on the new iMacs. For the price ($1,797), this iMac is hard to beat. The only thing that would make it significantly faster would be a SSD, but I need the storage more than I need the extra speed.

1797? is this from the US store?

tWoSour

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
My iMac was supposed to arrive today, but Sandy put a stop to that. No update from ups on when its supposed to be delivered now.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
Mine was wasn't a refurb, but brand new. The price was about a third off the normal price, so a reasonable saving for last years model :)

how do you know it was new vs used refurb? i was under the impression even new refurbs came in the white box and had a new serial number applied?

sajeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
UPS delivered my 27 3.4/i7 Refurb. Everything seems to be fine. Didn't win lottery on any extra stuff like 2TB/2GB 6970/8GB RAM.

Has anyone received their 27 3.4/i7 with extra stuff in recent week or what you ordered is what you received?

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
UPS delivered my 27 3.4/i7 Refurb. Everything seems to be fine. Didn't win lottery on any extra stuff like 2TB/2GB 6970/8GB RAM.

Has anyone received their 27 3.4/i7 with extra stuff in recent week or what you ordered is what you received?

maybe yours was a brand new unit, that would explain why there are no upgrades.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011

I ordered mine last week, and it arrived with the 2GB of memory on the GPU instead of the listed 1GB. That was the only extra I received. I guess is just a matter of luck.

sajeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
maybe yours was a brand new unit, that would explain why there are no upgrades.
Is there a way to check it or verify? Because the serial number just shows the warranty from the date I ordered. Any help will be appreciated.

I know there are people that have won the lottery and gotten more stuff. But is it worth trying to win the lottery vs getting a good unit which has no flaws and at the end you're at peace.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
Is there a way to check it or verify? Because the serial number just shows the warranty from the date I ordered. Any help will be appreciated.

I know there are people that have won the lottery and gotten more stuff. But is it worth trying to win the lottery vs getting a good unit which has no flaws and at the end you're at peace.

sorry but i don't think there's any way of knowing if it was a brand new unit. the serial number is changed to label your unit as "refurbished." how does the box and packaging look? any scratches on the iMac?

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
sorry but i don't think there's any way of knowing if it was a brand new unit. the serial number is changed to label your unit as "refurbished." how does the box and packaging look? any scratches on the iMac?

If it truly was new, it would come in the standard box, not a plain one like the refurbished units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.