Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Waiting for my macbook late 2011, supposed to be delivered today.

I have to complain about ****** service here in France. At AppleStore you can not choose your delivery options as is free, but with UPS and TNT here in France they can show up anytime between 9 and 19. The problem is they do not call you and if you call the customer service they keep telling Apple did not pay for delivery at a given time and they refuse as well to tell the part of the day they are supposed to deliver. So I guess I have to wait from 9.00 to 19.00...maybe later......really bad customer service by apple here in France!

It's the same here in the US lol Deliveries come anywhere from 8am-7pm so you basically don't know when your package arrives unless you know the routine stops for each delivery service. I don't think we have an option to pay for them to tell us a particular time...

YJamie85

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
I just got my first macbook pro on Sunday 2/26/2012 :D I was doing volunteer work at the animal shelter, came home, saw an Apple bag on my bed. My mom had a big smirk on her face and said now you're like the whole family! The family has an iMac in the living room which I use from time to time to do research. Mom and sis has macbook air. I nearly had a heart attack lol. It's a good feeling to get. =] yay

CircuitBabe

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Hey guys! this is Jessy - I'm kind of new here :) I got my refurbished MacBook Pro last week. Oh boy was it heavenly! I really enjoy using my restored baby after it got wet on a swimming trip it feels like new. lol. But I'm thinking that I could have done the fixing here at home. I found this article on restoring MBPs http://www.iultrasonic.com/restore-macbook-pro-logic-boards-using-ultrasonic-cleaners.html they used an ultrasonic cleaner to restore the laptop. I know this method is not for everybody but I'm giving it a try. Maybe I'm going to invest on an ultrasonic cleaner. Has anybody used one before? I really want to know if it will be a good investment. Thanks :)

daffy67

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
I joined the club a few weeks ago, late 2011 MBP 13" base model which I have upgraded to 8GB RAM. I would really like to install SSD but my funds are currently heading for the next iPad.

frederikjan

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Belgium
Long overdue ...

I've always been a fan of Apple. When I was 3 my father introduced me to my very own Apple II, which I used to play some very simple games on. Connecting the dots to create a star, a very simple keyboard that allowed me to create 'music' and some other games that were more oriented around getting to know how a mouse works than actual fun.

Needless to say, as a 3yo, I was hooked for life ... I went on using our family Classic, then Macintosh IIcx followed by a Performa 630 only to culminate in, at 11, my very own Powerbook Duo 280c. Finally my very own personal machine! The 280 was incredibly robust, it didn't really need replacing, but as it often goes, I got an offer I couldn't refuse and was upgraded to a 5300ce because of a particularly good round of exams if I remember correctly!

This 5300ce was a bad machine. Went into repair several times, was lost in repair and then replaced by a Powerbook 3G which was barely used. It was heavy, had a bad monitor, wasn't all that fast and quickly got replaced by an iMac Bondi Blue first generation.

I loved the iMac, extended it several times, upgrading the Gcard from 2Mb to 6Mb, upping the RAM, replaced the HD with a bigger one four times I think and generally hacked this up so much that after 3 or 4 years, it was end of life ... It had served it purpose. Moving on, I bought a second hand Powermac G4, one of the dual CPU machines. You can imagine how I felt, going from a 233Ghz G3 to two 1.25Ghz (I think) G4s. Loverly. This was the last machine I really played around with. I added some HD's (why? because I could :), added media drives, played around with Gcards and ended up completely frying it on the inside by accidently switching the power supply to 110V (the US standard) while on my very own (European) 300V power grid. It went boom, smelt a bit burned, killed electricity on the entire floor and generally wasn't my best moment :) I tried repairing it, got a new power supply but all was in vain ...

So I bought a white Macbook Dual Core 2 2Ghz. I still have it today, it's well over 6 years old, lasted me through my last 2 years in college and served me well for the last 4 years as it became the new central media center when I bought my own home and moved in with the love of my life ... It basically runs iTunes, Spotify, iPhone, Word and a myriad of browsers (we like to each have our own).

But disaster struck ... 6 years into the Macbook, the battery only lasts me for 2-3 hours, which might seem a lot, but it's not what you're used to .. well .. I don't need to preach to the choir ;) The monitor has had its best time, after being in sleep mode or turned off, it will take about 20 mins to reach full brightness, and even this is much less than what it should be. Both the 'i' and the '8' key are mysteriously dead. I'm guessing it didn't survive the latest party and some spill killed it.

It's also becoming slow ... much slower and progressively faster as it ages.

So yesterday I bit the bullet ... after 6 years of (ab)using my Macbook, I bought a 15.4" Pro with everything I could possible take on it except a SSD (I'll remove the DVD player and put a cheaper non standard Apple SSD in the place of it, and but OS X there instead of the 'slow' one).

I'm so happy :)

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Just got a 15.4" MBP with hi-res glossy screen. Have already upgraded with 8GB Crucial RAM and Crucial 128GB SSD.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Today I ordered a new 17" MBP w/ Anti Glare screen.

i7 2.4 GHz
6770M
8GB RAM
750GB HDD @ 7200RPM.

I am a happy bunny. Can't wait for it to come :D

PS - I've been a Windows user all my life. Looking forward to change :)

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Just got the 17inch but I'm still debating.

Just purchased a 17 inch and haven't opened the box. I am currently using the 13.
I search Craigslist to find a good deal on the 17 and have noticed that many don't sell their 17! I saw about 3-4 ads and they were the older models.
Those that do have it, how long have you had yours and do you like it?

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i received what i ordered on tuesday. my first ever Mac.

here is a photo:

MacBook Pro
2011 model.
6rhl38.jpg

taken with a Canon EOS 60D.

slowloris615

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
So I've been in this situation where I need an upgrade to 2008 MBP. Ive been waiting for a refresh to maybe the imac of MBP but I'm a video editor and recently taking on new freelance work and cant wait anymore.

Went with a 15 inch and bought 8 gigs to upgrade. Will definitely think about the SSD upgrade very soon. Just dont have time to do the research.

Do old MBPs fetch any value? Like 250ish?

By thew ay my wallet hurts right now, also ordered the ipad. God apple you own my life sometimes.

maswriter

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Orange County, CA
Just ordered a refurbished MBP. I bought the least expensive 15" (Feb 2011, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD). I know the processor is a little slower, but it will work great for the work I will do with it long-term. I plan to pick it up at my local Apple Store so I can make sure everything is OK before I take it home.

This MBP is replacing a failing Dell Windows 7 laptop. I got tired of buying disposable Windows laptops, and I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. Plus, none of the Windows laptops I've tried comes close to the quality and durability of the Mac.

I've been a Windows user for 20 years (and still use it at work), but I used the original Mac when I worked at Haba Systems in the 80s. This is the first Mac I've ever owned, and I'm very excited to get this one. This is the first time I've actually been excited to get a computer in a long time.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading these forums and perhaps take a class at the Apple Store so I'll be ready when my MBP arrives. Thank you for your advice and support.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Just ordered a refurbished MBP. I bought the least expensive 15" (Feb 2011, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD). I know the processor is a little slower, but it will work great for the work I will do with it long-term. I plan to pick it up at my local Apple Store so I can make sure everything is OK before I take it home.

This MBP is replacing a failing Dell Windows 7 laptop. I got tired of buying disposable Windows laptops, and I'm not looking forward to Windows 8. Plus, none of the Windows laptops I've tried comes close to the quality and durability of the Mac.

I've been a Windows user for 20 years (and still use it at work), but I used the original Mac when I worked at Haba Systems in the 80s. This is the first Mac I've ever owned, and I'm very excited to get this one. This is the first time I've actually been excited to get a computer in a long time.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading these forums and perhaps take a class at the Apple Store so I'll be ready when my MBP arrives. Thank you for your advice and support.
Is now a good time to buy a MBP with Ivy Bridge around the corner? Congrats on the purchase.

maswriter

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Orange County, CA
Is now a good time to buy a MBP with Ivy Bridge around the corner? Congrats on the purchase.
I'm at the point where I had to get something now before my current laptop fails completely. I figure there is always something faster and better coming just around the corner, so I should buy the best computer currently available that I can afford. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Just got a 17" base model (2.4GHz quad-core i7) to replace a 2010 2.4GHz core i5 15" MBP. That MBP was an Apple-issued replacement because they practically destroyed my original MBP when it was being "fixed" by the Geniuses. It recently started to fail on me, and the 3-year AppleCare that they transferred over to it expired at the end of 2011. At first it was the optical drive, which I could live with, but then the entire computer began failing. System crashes, graphic glitches, then the USB ports finally gave up and died. So, why not take the opportunity to upgrade!

In addition to the extra screen real estate, this thing blows away my old machine in terms of performance. It flies through HandBrake encodes (a standard 20-minute TV episode seems to take about 60 seconds to encode) and I can finally comfortably have Windows running constantly in a virtual machine without the computer slowing to a crawl eventually. Currently upgraded to 6GB of RAM (kept one of the 2GB sticks in, and added a 4GB stick I had bought for my old computer). Such a small addition, but I absolutely love the additional USB port over the smaller models - I always have a heap of USB devices connected so it helps a lot. Only thing I forgot (and was my own fault), was the ExpressCard slot as opposed to an SD card slot... easily solved by purchasing an adapter though :)

Overall, I am amazed at how much Macs have improved performance-wise these last few years, this machine is an absolute beast.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Well after debating between the 13 inch air or Pro, I decided to get the pro, main reason was price, can upgrade ram and swap put HDD, I have a 64gb ssd that I might drop in it to test it out. Also with the 30 day return policy I figured I could always take it back if i change my mind or if they update the models in the next month!

Success100

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
just bought my late 2011 13inch Pro i5/500GB model. I know its the base model, but this thing, even at base status, is a monster. Im blown away and will never own another windows machine.

Kind of upset about the new MB's supposedly about to come out, but glad Apple products hold their value in case I wanna sell it and get the new one :)

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
just bought my late 2011 13inch Pro i5/500GB model. I know its the base model, but this thing, even at base status, is a monster. Im blown away and will never own another windows machine.

Kind of upset about the new MB's supposedly about to come out, but glad Apple products hold their value in case I wanna sell it and get the new one :)
Yeah :p Enjoy the purchase :)

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
Ordered my new MBP!

Just wanted to post up on here that i ordered my new MacBook Pro 15" last week and it should be with me by the end of the week (hopefully!)!

Here's the spec;
15-inch MacBook Pro

2.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MBP 15" HR Antiglare WS Dspl

AppleCare

I've ordered 16GB RAM for it from Crucial which arrived a couple of days ago, and i'm waiting on the delivery of a Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD at the moment! :D

I'm tempted to put the 750GB HDD in the Optical Drive bay as a secondary HDD, but still contemplating it at the moment.

Super excited doesn't come close!

I had a White MacBook for over 4 years, and it was my first Mac and it was brilliant, so thought i'd spend a substantial amount this time and get something to last me a good few years.

Will post up when it's actually here! :D

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I bought a 13" Pro in early 2010 and my wife quickly claimed it as hers. I've been longing for something to do Lightroom photo editing from. I tried to use my work laptop (ThinkPad W510) and just don't enjoy using it at all. So I just ordered a low and 17" Pro; 2.4 quad. I ordered 8 GB of Crucial RAM, I have a 750 GB Scorpio Black I'm debating installing (it's in my work machine now) and AppleCare. I've also ordered the Bodyguardz clear skin and an Expresscard CF card reader.

On the hard drive, would it be worth replacing the 5400 drive with my 7200 rpm one? Reading conflicting things and getting conflicting replies. The impatient part of me says forget it, let's just start using this thing when it comes in! The other part says set it up once, so upgrade the hard drive first. I just can't decide...

AppleNewb24

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Well I just received my first Macbook Pro.

It is the late 2011 i5 2.4 13.3 Model....this is my first step into a new world. Iam slowly transitioning into all Apple for my computers as I am getting tired of dealing with Windows machines. I love how fast and responsive and how it just does what it is supposed to do....no bumps or anything.

I have an iPad2 and iPod touch and will be upgrading my iPad soon.

Thanks

Damon

metical

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
My first Apple computer!

Just ordered my first ever MBP - 15.4" early 2011 model (MC723LL/A) from macmall!!

The last time I used a Mac was in grade school. I'm sure it's going to be quite a different experience. Will be mainly using this for working on my side projects and software development. I'll be running Win7 side-by-side OR using Parallels. Still haven't decided which way yet.

Anyways, I got a quick question for everyone here. The model that I bought is a brand new early 2011 model. Does that mean that the battery life on that thing could be less than ideal? i.e. - I imagine this thing has been sitting around in their warehouse for the past 0.5-1 year, so would these batteries have lost some of their charging capacity? I hope not.

danwayfilms

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
I'm gonna need the processing power sooner rather than later for my graphics and video work. Should I just go ahead an get the high end 15in with the antiglare. I'm starting to doubt the refresh will totally outdo the current models.

sublimeguide

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
I'm gonna need the processing power sooner rather than later for my graphics and video work. Should I just go ahead an get the high end 15in with the antiglare. I'm starting to doubt the refresh will totally outdo the current models.

In terms of battery life, my guess is that there will be noticeable difference, as well as possibly some nice cosmetic changes. In terms of sheer processing power - I don't think there will be something groundbreaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.