Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okizen

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2012
Got my Macbook Pro this morning

I've just received my Macbook Pro this morning. It's a late October 2011 17" MBP with a 2.5GHz processor, 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM (soon to be upgraded to 16GB). Coming from pc environment, I find the workings of the mac strange but I will get to figure it out eventually (I guess).

bijju

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Got my first MBP after been pc user for the last 10 years. model is early 2011 17" MC725LL/A from ebay for $1540, it is still in the warranty period until Jan 2013. how good is this deal??. i want to upgrade to 8gb ram and 120gb SSD with second harddrive.

Last edited:

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I'm glad I just got my MBP a few days back........coz looking at the rumors the new one wont be having a Super Drive.....and I use the Optical Discs a lot :)

So I'm happy @ my purchase:apple:

daman7676

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Done and Done.

Received my 2011 13" i5 base model last Wednesday. Was going to go for the i7 but realized for my immediate needs, it wasn't necessary. Picked it up from B&H with free shipping, no tax, discounted Apple Care and free copy of Parallels 7.

Installed Parallels and Win7 64 Ultimate/Office 2007 Pro for any work related needs.

Other than that, just trying to get used to Lion. I will say, I love gestures. Such a great way to move around an OS.

I will be looking to upgrade my RAM in the next month or so but in the meantime, I will just be enjoying my new hardware.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
my partner needed a new laptop so i gave her my '11 15"... and ordered a new 2.5ghz 15" high res antiglare from apple, 8gb crucial 1.35v 1333mhz ram and 256gb crucial m4 for myself... no '12 for me, but sometimes life just happens.

kathryn27

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Just ordered a refurb 13.3" MBP, 2.8 Core i7, 4 GB RAM (will upgrade to 8), 750gb hdd...wondering if I should've just gotten the i5 processor instead - do y'all think I made a good choice? It's my first Mac.

Mr.MBP

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Just ordered a refurb 13.3" MBP, 2.8 Core i7, 4 GB RAM (will upgrade to 8), 750gb hdd...wondering if I should've just gotten the i5 processor instead - do y'all think I made a good choice? It's my first Mac.

Hmm... I heard it was only a 10% speed boost. But if it makes you happy go for it :D

kathryn27

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Hmm... I heard it was only a 10% speed boost. But if it makes you happy go for it :D

Hmmm....I don't have it yet (ordered refurbished from the apple website). I wonder now if I should've just gotten the base model, but I know the processor can't be upgraded later like the RAM and other aspects can. I guess my reasoning for the i7 was 1) to keep the machine relevant longer and 2) I've always heard on should go up from the base line just slightly. I got some varying opinions on this purchase, but now paging through these forums I'm thinking I should've save the $250 :(

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Hmmm....I don't have it yet (ordered refurbished from the apple website). I wonder now if I should've just gotten the base model, but I know the processor can't be upgraded later like the RAM and other aspects can. I guess my reasoning for the i7 was 1) to keep the machine relevant longer and 2) I've always heard on should go up from the base line just slightly. I got some varying opinions on this purchase, but now paging through these forums I'm thinking I should've save the $250 :(

i think you made the right decision, enjoy your mac and don't fret about it imo.

cmiller46

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
MacBook 15"

I went on Craigslist and someone was selling their MacBook Pro with the following specs:

2.5ghz quad core i7
4GB RAM
750GB 7200RPM hard drive
Hi-Res Anti-Glare Screen
AMD HD 6770 1GB

He's was selling it for $1200 so I bought is a quick as possible.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I went on Craigslist and someone was selling their MacBook Pro with the following specs:

2.5ghz quad core i7
4GB RAM
750GB 7200RPM hard drive
Hi-Res Anti-Glare Screen
AMD HD 6770 1GB

He's was selling it for $1200 so I bought is a quick as possible.

that's a steal o_O maybe literally heh....

senorpeaches

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
i ordered, i waited, i have ....

The magic moment came yesterday, 10:32 a.m. PST when the UPS man knocked on my door... Though my 3rd Mac, the process of unpacking remains singular in consumable goods. I never feel inspired to take pictures of a new machine as I do the Mac, ha. Have been spending time getting to know the very real differences of OS X lion as well as the incredible tactile possibilities (trackpad) possible with the gorgeous piece of machinery. Ordered Speck hard case, Case Logic zipper case, and Moshi keyboard protector. I had to essentially empty out my piggy bank for this, so justify the step of getting more protection on the grounds of (hopefully) taking care of this for the long life I need it to have. very very happy and engrossed at the moment with exploring this.:D

Ordered a 15" MBP via BH Photo Video mostly due to the discounted AppleCare plan. After endless deliberation and multiple trips to the local Apple store, opted for the hi-res anti-glare display with some reservation (i.e. middle aged eyesight concerns). But B&H's 30 day return took the heat off. For me, a self employed contractor working with content management d-bases, alot of spreadsheet work, ProTools audio editing, some video editing : the best laptop I can afford isn't a luxury it's a necessity. I even thought for the purposes of fiscal responsibility to consider (eek) a PC laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad (don't yell at me!). After more copious research, including the whole "value" vs. cost equation, well... as I said I'm counting the days now until the expected Wednesday delivery.. had to share and knew this group would be a good one to do it with! woo hoo, now thusly armed may I please garner more work in this crazy job market! ;) thanks, zee

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Apple today decided to replace my 2.5 year old MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (2 logic boards and symptoms still persist) with a Core i7 MacBook Pro... for free!

I'm completely over the moon!

Making a time machine backup now!

tacticalpanic

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
bought a MBP yesterday , I went into the apple store thinking I'd pick up an air because I needed something I could travel with/bring to friends , ended up leaving the store with the 15" mac book pro , as soon as I seen it I knew I couldn't settle for anything less lol.

one question though , if you remove the optic drive to put in a 2nd hdd , does that void your warranty?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Here's my first impression of my refurbished 15" MBP. You know that "new car smell," that aroma of fresh metal and plastic you experience when you step into a new car? That was the aroma I smelled when the guy at the Apple Store took my laptop out of the box, removed the plastic wrapper, and opened it the first time. I've never noticed that in all the Windows laptops I've ever had. It must be the difference between getting a plastic laptop and an aluminum one.

He then helped me through the setup process and gave me a brief overview of how to use my Mac. Even though I spent a lot of time learning about OS X while I was waiting for the unit to arrive, it was still a little intimidating using it on my own computer. It hasn't taken me long though the find my way around. I've even found a few shortcuts on my own that I hadn't heard of before (like I can switch between full-screen apps with the keyboard by pressing Control+Arrow Key).

The first thing I did when I brought my MBP home is update all the software. It shipped with 10.7, and I ran software update to bring it up to 10.7.3. This also enabled me to update iPhoto.

So far, I'm very happy with my MBP. I'm planning to install software and then migrate data from my Windows laptop this weekend. (It's supposed to rain here this weekend, so it will give me something to do. :))

I only thought you could buy a refurbished macbook from the online store?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
bought a MBP yesterday , I went into the apple store thinking I'd pick up an air because I needed something I could travel with/bring to friends , ended up leaving the store with the 15" mac book pro , as soon as I seen it I knew I couldn't settle for anything less lol.

one question though , if you remove the optic drive to put in a 2nd hdd , does that void your warranty?

I'm wondering this very thing...

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I just bought a 2.2 17" for 1700 on ebay, I couldnt pass it up. BRand new.

Ill just get an expresscard usb3, and be set.

FullMetalx117

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I just received a mid 2010 macbook pro but it has no OS on it. Anyone know what I can do? Do I have to buy the discs?

maswriter

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Orange County, CA
I only thought you could buy a refurbished macbook from the online store?

I bought mine through the Apple Web site and had it delivered to my local Apple Store. There, they helped me get it set up and gave me an overview of how to use it. It's safer too to have it delivered there than wait for delivery at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.