Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

20somethingmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
California, CA
I just bought my Macbook Pro 15 Mid 2012 Yesterday!

I really hoping between 13' and 15' for a while, but saw the 13 had a intel 4000 HD graphics and that became a deal breaker. I'm still wondering why they decided to go with the 4000 on the 13' retina display. Power drain?

I wonder what the policies are now with the new iterations of MBP. Are the Hard Drive and Ram still consumer level up-gradable and won't void the warranty?

Also, any hardware parts I should check, i.e. screen manufacturer, hard drive, etc?

Thanks!

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
Just ordered the 2.6GHz 256GB 13" rMBP from Apple (UK).

Status changed to 'preparing to dispatch' within an hour of ordering and has now dispatched 2 hours after that.. and is estimated delivery for tomorrow :D

I knew they were good, but that's some impressive speed.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Just ordered the 2.6GHz 256GB 13" rMBP from Apple (UK).

Status changed to 'preparing to dispatch' within an hour of ordering and has now dispatched 2 hours after that.. and is estimated delivery for tomorrow :D

I knew they were good, but that's some impressive speed.

Same! I ordered at noon from the UK store, it is now dispatched and it is due to be with me tomorrow - really impressed (assuming it arrives as it should!). I ordered the base 13" rMBP :)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My BTO rMBP 15.4/2.8/16GB/768Flash that I ordered on the 13th arrived today north of Boston. It was shipped from China on the 18th. The estimated delivery date at the time of order was 20-22 March. It appears to have a Samsung SSD and an LG rev 2 display.

I buy a new performance laptop every 5 years whether I need it or not :) The education discount as well as discover's 5% cash back helped take the sting out of it.

So I connected my USB drive containing a time machine backup of my 2008 MacBook pro and started setting up. The set up assistant listed several network drives but not the local USB disk as a transfer option, however. :(

Apple support says they have been getting several similar reports and suggested that I let setup assistant finish without any data transfer and then perform a recovery from the USB disk (cmd r on boot). That seems to be working, but it may be a couple hours.

The recovery worked just fine.

Last edited:

nickm55

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
UK
Same! I ordered at noon from the UK store, it is now dispatched and it is due to be with me tomorrow - really impressed (assuming it arrives as it should!). I ordered the base 13" rMBP :)

Ditto, I used my student discount to get £250 off the 2.6/256gb/8gb ram rMBP. Got a great bargain with free three year warranty, and £300 for my old black macbook - so a shiny new retina for £950. Arrives tomorrow, can't wait...

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
I purchased a 15 inch, early 2013 rMBP from the Apple store this week (after ordering a 15" cMBP online last week and not being happy with the display). The specs of the rMBP are 2.9/16/768. I was told all early 2013 rMBP's come with the Samsung display. Well, the Samsung display was yellow right out of the box. Normally I can't see how "off" a screen's calibration is unless I have my perfectly calibrated 2008 cMBP right next to it. But this display was almost banana yellow. I tried to calibrate it and, sure enough, if you nudge the white point a notch past 7000, the screen is too blue. I have spent $11K on 4 different Apple machines in the past 2 weeks and they're all going back to the store. I'll stick with my 2008 cMBP until the wheels fall off. These new Apple machines are very disappointing. The quality control is seriously lacking. No wonder Apple's stock market share is crashing.

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
after reading an article on 9to5mac about problems began to doubt in buying rBMP now ... =((

People are raving about the retina display but it leaves a lot to be desired. The main sticking point for me is the fact that the Internet has not caught up with the retina technology. So you have crisp, clear images in high def, then you have soft, almost blurry low res images on the same page. The non-retina display renders all of these images the same. Even ads looks sharp on a non-retina display. But ads look soft and pixelated on a Retina machine. Not to mention the retina display is too yellow right out of the box. If you're a serious graphics artist like me, the retina display is unacceptable.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
i just purchased a used macbook pro! im coming back. lol

Basically i need help

Awhile back i purchased a screwdriver so i could use it to open up the macbook pro...

it was like a all in one screw driver. it had about 4 or 5 different ends on it so you could switch the different pieces out when working on your macbook pro...

it was silver... umm dont remember anything else about it and i cant find it on ebay anymore... anyone know of a device???

Please quote me as i probably wont remember i posted this..

jesaja

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
If you're a serious graphics artist like me, the retina display is unacceptable.

I feel the opposite way. I love how images are and stay unbelievably sharp in Photoshop no matter at what scaling <= 100%. You never have the feeling detail gets lost because of the display, since it looks just like a professionally printed image. You can display a 300dpi post card at full size, for god's sake! It's awesome for that.

Although I have to admit I do switch to native, full 2880x1800 when working in PS, exactly for that reason. But since you CAN do this...

cas85

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
Mine was on the truck for 2 days before I got it :mad:

Just picked mine up from the Apple store today. Got the notification it was ready yesterday, but I was busy and couldn't make it out there.

She's a beauty. Samsung screen to boot. Going thru software update before I do migration assistant.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Just ordered a rMBP 13.3 8GB 128GB SSD tonight to go with my Late 2012 iMac 21.5, 2T TC, APE, ATV 2, iPad 4 16GB and iPhone 4S 16GB.

I've been Windoze free for 4 months now and COULD NOT be happier!:D

Last edited:

cjohnson348

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Ordered a refurb 13 inch retina with 256 SSD, 2.4 i5 and 8gb of RAM.

Picked it up today and it looks like I hit the refurb lottery and got a 2.9 i7!!! Awesome machine for a little over $1400

heatx

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Upgraded to a rMBP 2.6Ghz i5, 8Gb RAM, 256 SSD. Had the 2008 Black MacBook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo... It was definitely time for the upgrade.

Got it on student discount for $1,599.

Absolutely love it so far. Haven't had any issues with the burn-in or anything which is probably due to this one being the Early 2013 model. It's definitely nice to be able to watch HD video without all the glitchiness although this thing does get pretty hot. Just glad to have an up-to-date Mac!

lordboogie

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Just got lucky!

I was in the market for a new Macbook Pro. I stepped in Best Buy to ask if they had any open box MBPs available. I asked if they had any 13 rMBPs open-box, which they didn't. But, he found a 15 inch rMBP, 2.3 i7/8GB/256 that was on open-box.

Turns out, the device had never been opened and it had went to clearance for 1500. On top of that, he gave me an additional 10% discount.

So, I take it home and find out that it has a Samsung IPS display as well as Samsung SSD. :cool:

Now, I need to find a buyer for my 2012 13 inch Macbook Air, 2 GHz i7/8 GB/ 256 SSD.

First world problems...

lordboogie

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
It's essential you update to 10.8.3 along with any other updates that appear when you ask it to check for updates.

You'll experience better battery life & the many small bugs will be fixed. That's first hand advice. :)

Enjoy.

Oh yeah, as we speak I'm using the Air to download a fresh copy of Mountain Lion 10.8.3 from the App Store. I'll use the InstallESD from that to create a USB installer and do a clean install of ML on both the Air and Pro.

----------

Sorry. I didnt notice your quote. It turns out the rMBP I bought, was not open-box, it has just went to clearance. All of the box plastics and plastics around the rMBP were still intact.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Oh yeah, as we speak I'm using the Air to download a fresh copy of Mountain Lion 10.8.3 from the App Store. I'll use the InstallESD from that to create a USB installer and do a clean install of ML on both the Air and Pro.

----------

Sorry. I didnt notice your quote. It turns out the rMBP I bought, was not open-box, it has just went to clearance. All of the box plastics and plastics around the rMBP were still intact.

Great approach. I only do clean installs from USB. It's worth it.

Congratulations you got the deal of the year :)

----------

MC. It's a Mid-2012 model not the newly released Early-2013. That would be too good to be true.
Just as a sidebar:

We've got 10 of the "new" refreshed 15" 2013 2.4MHz MBPr's at work, along with about 30 of the 2012 2.3 models. An engineering lab where we're all quite competitive, we did our in-house testing just for fun. In our real world, challenging design work environment, the two models show only a tiny bit of difference in one out of eight tests.

For all purposes we agree their equals, a great result.

lordboogie

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks, that's good to know. The only other differences other than the 100 MHz processor bump, is I think some re-designed internals, but I have yet to see specifically what has changed between the two generations.

cas85

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
guys in what packaging do you get rMBP 15? ( as original new ?)

If you're asking about the 15 rMBP refurb packaging, here is what I received the other day. The computer was in the bottom.

Everything was packaged well. The laptop was in that plastic that is shown with a seal. Plenty of padding for shipping. As consistent with my other refurb experiences with Apple, the unit is in pristine cosmetic condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.