Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
That's right folks - with the Duet 2 having just been announced a few days ago and shipping sometime in April, a few stores are taking pre-orders for this lovely device.

I've pre-ordered mine for £449 from Music Matter in the UK... WHO'S WITH ME?!

I love the first-gen Duet - the best Audio Interface I ever owned, but I weighed up the specs and simply can't not have this upgrade!

What are your thoughts on going from FW400 to USB2? Personally I'm glad - it means I can have my FW800 hard drive dedicated to the port with no daisy-chaining, and if the Engineers @ Apogee say they got better performance/lower latency using USB2 - I trust that and welcome it... Not to mention that on a purely aesthetic level, it perfectly matches my new MBP. YUM!

I'm also, rather selfishly, glad that they haven't opened up the compatibility to Windows users. It's nice to know this device is built solely for one purpose and is dedicated to it.

So, Pre-orders anyone? Thoughts?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
One preorder right here.

I'm in the US so Sweetwater.com gets my biz.

My M-Audio ProFire 610 is starting to get flaky, or at least the drivers are. So this comes at a good time, as I was already weighing my options for my next interface.

I agree with you on the FW vs USB thing. I welcome the chance to free up my FireWire bus for my audio drive without having to daisychain anymore. It gave me trouble in Pro Tools, and now it seems it's giving me trouble in Logic too.

My primary concern about USB has always been the chance for increased latency. But if Apogee says this is an improvement over the FW400 Duet I'll take them on their word.

Looking forward to trying it out, and the screen on it looks sweet.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Bummer is Apogee isn't shipping these to dealers to the 3rd or 4th week of April. Which means we won't likely see them till May.

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Bummer is Apogee isn't shipping these to dealers to the 3rd or 4th week of April. Which means we won't likely see them till May.

Yeah I just checked with Music Matter and they've updated the status to 'Delivery Due 29/04/2011', they promised me express shipping within 24 hours of them receiving it so hopefully I'm looking at the last day of April.

They may as well have just announced beginning of May for release!

grazykid

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Yeah I just checked with Music Matter and they've updated the status to 'Delivery Due 29/04/2011', they promised me express shipping within 24 hours of them receiving it so hopefully I'm looking at the last day of April.

They may as well have just announced beginning of May for release!

Im thinking of ordering, but from digital village. Is the music matter store better? have you had a lot experience with them?

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Im thinking of ordering, but from digital village. Is the music matter store better? have you had a lot experience with them?

Yeah I've used Music Matter a couple of times before - I got the first-gen Duet from them... They have a more "independant" vibe than some of the larger stores like Digital Village/Dolphin Music, which I like. The only thing with Digital Village is, when I was deciding who to order from, I enquired with them and they aren't getting any in stock until early May, so longer to wait!

I've never used Andertons before but they're listing the Duet 2 as due in on the 24th which is the earliest date I've seen... ;)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I was on pre-order but I canceled it. Firstly I want to see what the initial reviews are. Secondly, I'm curious to see if the new Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 won't serve my needs just as well for $249 instead of the $595 Duet 2 price. Or I might stick with FireWire altogether. Either way I'm anxious to read the reviews and first hand experiences with the Duet 2. Looks like a sweet piece of gear.

NovaKane

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Still trying hard to decide between duet2 or the Apogee ONE. My old duet was problematic with the cables and what not.

Apparently, this update is better than both the one and old duet, which has been discontinued.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Still trying hard to decide between duet2 or the Apogee ONE. My old duet was problematic with the cables and what not.

Apparently, this update is better than both the one and old duet, which has been discontinued.

If you ever need to record something in stereo ( like an acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, choir), or are doing simultaneous dual sources ( like a guitar and voice at the same time) you'll need the Duet 2. If none of that applies you can save a bunch of money going with the One. Unless you do want the better pres and conversion the Duet 2 offers.

NovaKane

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
If you ever need to record something in stereo ( like an acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, choir), or are doing simultaneous dual sources ( like a guitar and voice at the same time) you'll need the Duet 2. If none of that applies you can save a bunch of money going with the One. Unless you do want the better pres and conversion the Duet 2 offers.

Well put. Also, 24bit/44.1 kHz could be limiting if somebody brings a 96kHz based project (to work on) to the table, and this is going to be my only interface. I think I'm going to place an order in the next 24hours.

Well put. Also, 24bit/44.1 kHz could be limiting if somebody brings a 96kHz based project (to work on) to the table, and this is going to be my only interface. I think I'm going to place an order in the next 24hours.

...I have so convinced myself here ;)

Yeah I've used Music Matter a couple of times before - I got the first-gen Duet from them... They have a more "independant" vibe than some of the larger stores like Digital Village/Dolphin Music, which I like. The only thing with Digital Village is, when I was deciding who to order from, I enquired with them and they aren't getting any in stock until early May, so longer to wait!

I've never used Andertons before but they're listing the Duet 2 as due in on the 24th which is the earliest date I've seen... ;)

Andertons delivery is now listed 23rd of April :D
Makes you wonder when this thing is going to be released...Or, are they just toying with us?

Last edited by a moderator:

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
frustrating that i'm out of a quality interface till they are shipped. I have one on pre-order but it doesnt look like they'll be shipped until May even though they said it'll come out in September

I returned my Apogee Duet within a month after the duet 2 was announced so i guess the timing was good.:)

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of these due dates listed on various sites... Andertons Music had it shown as due in on the 23rd, today - I just checked it out again and they've now changed it to the 28th...
I also read on a couple of other forums from people who'd apparently spoken to Apogee reps and been told they weren't shipping to US dealers until mid-may. So, if this is the case then what does it mean for UK/European dealers? End of May?!
I really wish I hadn't sold my Apogee Duet now, I may have jumped the gun a little too early... :eek:

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
just received an email back from Apogee about the release date...

At the moment, we are looking at some time around the 3rd week of May... Unfortunately, I don't have an exact date to give you at this time. The best I can do is to have you keep checking back.

:confused:

jetthall

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Yeah I just had a live-chat with an Apogee rep and was also told mid-May at the earliest. He said April 2011 was just an initial guess and thats "it's hard to pin down an exact date once manufacturing ramps up". I guess other companies have access to some mystical glass ball or some sacred prophet's bones to predict their product release dates more accurately than +/- a month. Since they are obviously aware, it would be nice if they changed the website to not say "Availability: April 2011". Sigh, I'm just bummed because I have a new set of KRK RP6s and nothing to hook them up with and have been waiting for this release...

jclee

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Sweetwater told me...

A rep called me yesterday and told me that they are still expected to see the duet 2 early next week.

jclee

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
A rep from where?

Apogee also told me "3rd or 4th week of May" as when they will begin shipping to dealers.

A rep from Sweetwater. I preordered one a couple of weeks ago. He called right after my preorder and we talked and he said that it would be shipping may 2nd. Yesterday he called me and left me a message that they are still expecting to receive the duets early next week. So there's a good chance that it may come in as expected (may 2nd).

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
A rep from Sweetwater. I preordered one a couple of weeks ago. He called right after my preorder and we talked and he said that it would be shipping may 2nd. Yesterday he called me and left me a message that they are still expecting to receive the duets early next week. So there's a good chance that it may come in as expected (may 2nd).

We'll see. I hope your guy is right. It's possible that Apogee's late May estimation got moved earlier again.

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
We'll see. I hope your guy is right. It's possible that Apogee's late May estimation got moved earlier again.

yup same here...as soon as it's shipped from Guitar Center distribution center...i get a tracking number so i guess the best situation is i receive it around the 10th of may (if delivered on the 2nd) & early june if the apogee dude was correct in them not releasing it until the 3rd week of may

regardless i'm excited for it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.