Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Just got shipment notification from the UK company I bought mine from and it will be delivered tomorrow, so for the UK anyway safe to say we'll all be receiving our pre-orders before the weekend.
I'm excited.

Whaaattt??!!! Which UK company did you order with, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT - Nevermind, I found it, GuitarGuitar has 2 in stock. I JUST ORDERED FOR SATURDAY DELIVERY!!! Going to cancel the useless pre-order I had with Music Matter...

You my friend, are a legend. ;)

Last edited:

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Whaaattt??!!! Which UK company did you order with, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT - Nevermind, I found it, GuitarGuitar has 2 in stock. I JUST ORDERED FOR SATURDAY DELIVERY!!! Going to cancel the useless pre-order I had with Music Matter...

You my friend, are a legend. ;)

just got off the phone with Guitar Center & they said the duet 2 won't be in until 6/17/11

weird how the Apogee Apogee Duet 2 Recording Package "just arrived"

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apogee-Apogee-Duet-2-Recording-Package-H74492-i1912430.gc

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
just got off the phone with Guitar Center & they said the duet 2 won't be in until 6/17/11

weird how the Apogee Apogee Duet 2 Recording Package "just arrived"

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apogee-Apogee-Duet-2-Recording-Package-H74492-i1912430.gc

Weird indeed... I'm surprised the US hasn't seen them released first...

To summarise, I'd say this has been a pretty disastrous release all in all!

NOTE: For anyone interested who is in the U.K., GuitarGuitar still has 1 in stock, and Andertons Music has 3 in stock ;)

Last edited:

ryanhaver

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
USA
hmm....things just get stranger by the day. That is funny that GuitarCenter is bundling them in a package to get people to spend more money. I don't agree with that, but what can we do. People will just get them somewhere else if they don't need the extras.

NovaKane

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
Just got shipment notification from the UK company I bought mine from and it will be delivered tomorrow, so for the UK anyway safe to say we'll all be receiving our pre-orders before the weekend.
I'm excited.

...very good info :D

Mine should arrive on monday.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Weird indeed... I'm surprised the US hasn't seen them released first...

To summarise, I'd say this has been a pretty disastrous release all in all!

NOTE: For anyone interested who is in the U.K., GuitarGuitar still has 1 in stock, and Andertons Music has 3 in stock ;)

AWESOME - strange no review out though??? there are obviously a limited amount already out and sold!

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
AWESOME - strange no review out though??? there are obviously a limited amount already out and sold!

They must have been snapped up as they're now back to taking pre-orders again. When Apogee said "limited quantities" they obviously weren't exaggerating!

Well I just got my shipment notification for delivery tomorrow, about boomin' time! Will post back with some pics...

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I'm loving this, after a few hours testing it I'd never know it was USB this time around, I love firewire but I guess it's on it's way out, not too sure why they include a power adapter...maybe it needs to be powered that way when using the optional breakout box they sell? I've only been testing using bus.
It Sounds great just like before, very similar sounding, tested a guitar and some mics.
That's a glass top on the Duet2 - very iPadish.
Breakout Cable much better - a couple of closeups of that cable here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GULwmIfu-c

Maestro2 doesn't have "identify unit" this time so no way to immediately show off that OLED eyecandy.
Anyway a very cool investment..again, christmas comes early - thanks Apogee!
Purchased from MusicMatter - 10/10 for packaging and service and they don't use citylink they use FedEx, I'll shop there from now on.

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm loving this, after a few hours testing it I'd never know it was USB this time around, I love firewire but I guess it's on it's way out, not too sure why they include a power adapter...maybe it needs to be powered that way when using the optional breakout box they sell? I've only been testing using bus.
It Sounds great just like before, very similar sounding, tested a guitar and some mics.
That's a glass top on the Duet2 - very iPadish.
Breakout Cable much better - a couple of closeups of that cable here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GULwmIfu-c

Maestro2 doesn't have "identify unit" this time so no way to immediately show off that OLED eyecandy.
Anyway a very cool investment..again, christmas comes early - thanks Apogee!
Purchased from MusicMatter - 10/10 for packaging and service and they don't use citylink they use FedEx, I'll shop there from now on.

any comments concerning the latency ?

PRPS

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
just checked guitar center's website out of curiosity & it now says

AVAILABLE 5/31/2011

as opposed to the 6/17/2011 that was scheduled a couple days ago

it's extremely obvious that no one has a ______ clue on what is going on... :D

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Sorry for late update - I got mine on Saturday but haven't had chance to check back here...

So, I'm really quite amazed by it! Aesthetically it is beautiful - much slicker looking than its predecessor. The OLED display is a godsend in terms of functionality as you no longer have to rely on software to get specific dB measures... The only time I've needed to access Maestro 2 so far is to turn on the Soft Limit feature.

Speaking of, Maestro 2 is much better software this time around - we're no longer dealing with multiple windows (which I always found irritating & rather ugly). Much more efficient/less messy, and it has that attractive "2.0" look to it, if you know what I mean...! You're able to select your sample rate (up to 192kHz), and as I said, select the Soft Limit feature for each of the 2 amps. Obviously all the features from the previous software are also present... I haven't had the opportunity to try the independent outputs feature yet so not sure how that works... **NOTE** The Duet 2 does NOT come with a software install disc - it must be downloaded from the address provided in the startup guide... We really are becoming a 'cloud-based' computer world. Long live local storage, I say!

Sound-wise, there is definitely an audible improvement over the original Duet - the headphone amp alone seems quite significantly louder (powering my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones), and I'm hearing better bass response, and even slightly more detail through the mids/highs.

The mic amps are really in a league of their own... I've only used input 1 so far, with my Shure SM7b - anyone who knows this mic knows that it's very gain-hungry. Well, the Duet 2 handles it beautifully. I'm still as amazed as I was with the original Duet that it manages to push 75dB whilst remaining so clean... I tried out the Soft Limit feature and sure enough clipping was less apparent.

It's quite strange noting all of these improvements because the original Duet was already a smashing device in itself, but was it worth the upgrade? ABSOLUTELY. No contest.

To summarise my observations so far; more powerful headphone & mic amps, aesthetically better-looking/OLED display/more functionality on the device, better software, better sample rates up to 192kHz, Soft Limit feature.

Here's a couple of pics of my setup -

ay67ap.jpg

22cmdw.jpg

I've been through my share of Audio Interfaces, from the M-Audios to the Presonus' to the Focusrites, etc etc etc. None of them really even scratch the surface of this thing - it is an enigma! I can't wait to work with it more and explore its full potential.

Last edited:

Ptdr

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Mesures

Happy owners please!!
Anyone could give me the mesures of the duet 2?, i heared it's a bit bigger than the 1st..
Can't find them anywhere...
Peace

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Not as Rugged as the Original.

Pre-orderers you're definately going to be happy with your DUET2 when it arrives ! I love this but I have a couple of gripes about build this time around, yeah the sound is great and that's what counts but looks are up there too.

so.....
That's a plastic top on DUET2 I thought it was glass at first but it's not and it scratches pretty easily, I have quite a lot on mine already that have come from wiping dust off it using a microfibre cloth.
Consider leaving that sticker film on the top of the unit when it arrives because I have dust inside on the OLED display too (I've only had it for 6 days) this can't be removed obviously, Apogee should talk with Apple and learn how to "seal" this unit because this is going to be a problem, if I have this much dust inside the unit on the display after 6 days what's it going to look like in 6 months, definately needs to be "sealed" in an iPad kindof way.

DUET2 is spray painted gloss aluminium, I'm sure it's alu underneath that gloss spray but it's not solid like the original, that's ashame, I'd have preferred a solid matte to a sprayed sheen.

End of the day these minor problems (except the dust on the OLED) have nothing to do with what counts - the sound, but it means that this sexy little unit however hard you look after her is going to age fast, which will affect resale should you decide to flick it down the road like you just did with your DUET.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.