Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Heads up!!!

UK limited stock now available for order at various stores! Just ordered and cancelled my pre order with another store!

Should be here tomorrow :D

MackPro91

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
London
Yeah I spent a while yesterday ringing around a lot of stores here in the UK asking about availability only to be told of the demand, the lack of stock (with some retailers telling me they'd only be allocated as little as 5 units) and that I should pre-order or reserve one.

Thankfully I opted not to as upon leaving my final exam today I received an e-mail from a store letting me know they had just received stock, with their site showing 3 in stock, so I quickly ordered and sure enough their stock went down to 2. Unfortunately I ordered late in the evening so it probably won't be here till Friday, but even so, I'm happy to have at least bagged one!

dennisrjohn

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Got it.

So far, pretty impressed. Pre's sound very nice, build quality is a TON more solid than my ONE. The user assignable touch buttons are pretty genius, as I usually record in the same room that my monitors are in. Gives me a quick way to mute just the monitors while recording. Overall, after 3 hours, I like it a lot.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
*****POSSIBLE FIX for 1st gen Apogee Duet and Lion 10.7*****

Btw, Duet 1st gen software does install on Lion, but doesn't work properly.

I contacted Apogee and they said Duet 2 Maestro will support Lion on launch, but Duet 1 Maestro may not.

So for people anxious to upgrade to Lion, you might consider upgrading your Duet too .

I had the same issue on developer preview 4, but I found a fix, and reported it to Apogee support. I haven't heard back from them yet, I'll post here when I do.

Let me first state that Im not sure it works across the board, but it works perfect for me.
Lion is still considered unsupported by Apogee at this point, but I have a feeling it will be fixed before Lion is released. :)

Here's the rundown.

Problem:

I have an original Duet, and installed the latest Maestro/duet installer on a unibody MBP running DP4 of Lion. The Duet initially would show up as an available core audio device in both Logic and system sounds, but would not play back audio.

If it tried to playback audio or adjust the volume, the Duet would keep disappearing and reappearing as an available core audio device in Logic, me thing would happen if I tried to play from iTunes. System sounds would show the Duet appearing and reappearing as an available device, but still NO audio.
Tried rebooting, no dice. Permissions repair, reinstall Maestro, etc. and still the same issues.

I decided to try a different approach, and in doing so found what appears to be a reliable fix, at least for me.

**Possible solution**

Here is what worked for me, TWICE. Once for the original DP4, and again after the software update to DP4 initially reintroduced the problem a few days ago.
The software update a few days ago made the Duet behave exactly as it originally had with the first install of Developer preview 4, no audio, disappearing/reappearing act, all the same stuff. Did these same steps once again, and it fixed it again, works perfect after multiple reboots.

****UPDATE - Make that 3 times this solution worked, the first two mentioned, and now again with the GM build of 10.7. Same initial problem, fixed with the steps below. :)

Try this, in THIS EXACT ORDER. Opening Maestro BEFORE trying to do anything with audio is crucial. This also assumes that you already have the latest Duet installer/Maestro software from Apogee's site installed on your computer.

1.) Reboot the computer.

2.) Do not touch the duet, or try to adjust volume yet. Seriously, don't do it yet. If you do, you will need to reboot.

3.) Open Maestro, click on the "identify unit" button. You will see the Duet's hardware meters go full into the red. Wait a second or so, then click the "identify unit" button again. The Duet's hardware meters should return to normal.

4.) If need be, in Maestro unmute the Duet's outputs.

5.) Try playing audio out of the Duet now. Try using it as normal in Logic, GarageBand, iTunes, whatever.

Please report back here if this works for you!

I hope this works for others, although I'm sure Apogee is already working hard to get it ready by Lion's release.

Not sure if it's related, but my Apogee GIO works perfect with Lion as well. :)

Anyone with a ONE or other Apogee unit care to try this and see if it works?

Last edited:

bafonso

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Not sure if any other owners are experiencing this, but every so often after a computer restart or even just turning on, the Duet device doesn't launch - it just remains on the startup 'A' screen... It's happened a few times, and sometimes just unplugging & re-plugging the device in works, but sometimes only restarting the computer again works...
Weird... & slightly annoying...

I've had that happen to me. it's a glitch in the driver I think.

intwo

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Hoping to pick up one of these in the near future. =]

The lack of MIDI concerns me though. I have an 88 key Midi keyboard (non usb) that I'd like to use. I found a MIDI to usb cable. Will it be possible to use the MIDI keyboard and the Duet 2? I don't need to use them simultaneously, but I'd like to record vocals and guitars through the Duet 2 and synths on the MIDI keyboard. Would I have to switch my inputs on Garageband/Logic each time I switch between the Duet 2 and the MIDI keyboard?

Thanks!

bafonso

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Hoping to pick up one of these in the near future. =]

The lack of MIDI concerns me though. I have an 88 key Midi keyboard (non usb) that I'd like to use. I found a MIDI to usb cable. Will it be possible to use the MIDI keyboard and the Duet 2? I don't need to use them simultaneously, but I'd like to record vocals and guitars through the Duet 2 and synths on the MIDI keyboard. Would I have to switch my inputs on Garageband/Logic each time I switch between the Duet 2 and the MIDI keyboard?

Thanks!

Yes, you can use the midi-usb adapter and duet 2 at the same time, no problem whatsoever.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
...from cecil - "
Also, the metal part of the USB plug only goes in two-thirds of the way, with the other third of the metal sticking out from the Duet. Operates ok, but looks odd, as if it is not fully inserted. Is yours like this? Thanks!

Mine is the same I thought it was strange too, doesn't fit in as far as where you think it would.

For anyone looking for stock I was in Apple Store Regent Street London today 4 x boxes on shelves upstairs, if you want one, i opened one of the boxes and seriously the "cutout" aluminium was so poorly done almost looked by hand and I thought mine was bad, I love apogee and I love this DUET2 but seriously Apogee time to farm this off to China to produce with skill because if this is USA made then it's ***** poor man ! Apogee needs to invest in some precision tools, this is a hacksaw DIY job talk about jagged edges, c'mon !
DUET2 = FINAL CUT X.....A somewhat of a letdown. UPDATE, having actually spent sometime with FCPX I apologize for the letdown comment, Final Cut Pro X is the future, the new is cool.

Also regarding iPad, I didn't use a HUB just the Camera connector kit, this worked on both iPad 1 and 2 initially - 2 weeks later I tried it now it's not working on iPad 1 and 2 and doesn't even work with a Hubb it's just "purple"
I may have had an update on DUET or Garageband I don't know but for some reason this functionality has been disabled, anyone having trouble with this ? I probably won't be using it on an iPad but still nice to still have this working as an option.

Last edited:

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
...from cecil - "

Also regarding iPad, I didn't use a HUB just the Camera connector kit, this worked on both iPad 1 and 2 initially - 2 weeks later I tried it now it's not working on iPad 1 and 2 and doesn't even work with a Hubb it's just "purple"
I may have had an update on DUET or Garageband I don't know but for some reason this functionality has been disabled, anyone having trouble with this ? I probably won't be using it on an iPad but still nice to still have this working as an option.

Ugh. More conflicting info on the iPad working. (Not a jab at you at all, just saying there is a lot of back and forth on the web on whether the Duet 2 works with the iPad. No one seems to be able to confirm this definitively. It seems to work for some, not for others, but no one posts very much details about their efforts whether successful or not. Thank you for explaining what you tried with your Duet.)

I was really hoping it would work on the iPad, as that's the main selling point for me to upgrade from my 1st gen Duet.
My GIO works great with a powered hub through the CCK. Looks like I'll have to just go up to Sam Ash when they finally get one in and try it out myself with the iPad. If they get one in soon I will post my findings in detail here.

bafonso

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Ugh. More conflicting info on the iPad working. (Not a jab at you at all, just saying there is a lot of back and forth on the web on whether the Duet 2 works with the iPad. No one seems to be able to confirm this definitively. It seems to work for some, not for others, but no one posts very much details about their efforts whether successful or not. Thank you for explaining what you tried with your Duet.)

I was really hoping it would work on the iPad, as that's the main selling point for me to upgrade from my 1st gen Duet.
My GIO works great with a powered hub through the CCK. Looks like I'll have to just go up to Sam Ash when they finally get one in and try it out myself with the iPad. If they get one in soon I will post my findings in detail here.

Where are the other reports of working with the iPad? I don't think it will work at all since the OS X driver sends info to the Duet 2 when you plug it to the computer. I have yet to see anyone claiming it actually works that I can believe. It would be nice but since you would need to power, kind of negate the benefits of being really mobile..

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Where are the other reports of working with the iPad? I don't think it will work at all since the OS X driver sends info to the Duet 2 when you plug it to the computer. I have yet to see anyone claiming it actually works that I can believe. It would be nice but since you would need to power, kind of negate the benefits of being really mobile..
I've only found a few sparse posts here and there suggesting the Duet should work with the iPad, no details at all. I've got my hopes up only because my GIO works with a hub, and I've seen several posts and Youtube videos of the ONE working with a hub as well.

For me, if it worked with the iPad it would just seal the deal for me on upgrading to the Duet 2. I already want one for the extra outputs and lower latency. One interface that worked with any of my devices for 95% of my real world tasks would be pretty dope.

bafonso

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
I've only found a few sparse posts here and there suggesting the Duet should work with the iPad, no details at all. I've got my hopes up only because my GIO works with a hub, and I've seen several posts and Youtube videos of the ONE working with a hub as well.

For me, if it worked with the iPad it would just seal the deal for me on upgrading to the Duet 2. I already want one for the extra outputs and lower latency. One interface that worked with any of my devices for 95% of my real world tasks would be pretty dope.

Does it even work with a PC? It is USB compliant? I don't think so.

If it can't even accomplish this why do you think it will work with an iPad? I'd just get a ONE to use with the iPad...

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Does it even work with a PC? It is USB compliant? I don't think so.

As far as I know they don't work on PC, and they are NOT USB class compliant. I could be wrong though. If anyone knows for certain please pipe in.

If it can't even accomplish this why do you think it will work with an iPad? I'd just get a ONE to use with the iPad...

I would think it would work because something changed after the iOS 4.3 update. The Apogee One and the Gio both started working if you power them through a USB hub, with NO firmware updates to either unit. This DID NOT work before, with or without a hub. I tried with my GIO the first day I got my camera connection kit. Why does it work all of a sudden when it most definitely did not work before? No one seems to be 100% sure, but it works nevertheless.

I can personally confirm the GIO works consistently with an iPad 1, as I use it at home. Plug the Gio into a hub, power it up, then plug out of the hub into the CCK, then plug the CCK into the iPad. This works with Garageband on iPad, although the pedals don't function.

For anyone who doubts this, if you own a GIO or ONE, a powered hub, and the camera connection kit, try it for yourself. Post results.

So, considering this information, I just hoped the same would apply to the Duet 2.
If it doesn't, oh well. It would just be a nice bonus if it did.

Nitrus

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
*****POSSIBLE FIX for 1st gen Apogee Duet and Lion 10.7*****

I had the same issue on developer preview 4, but I found a fix, and reported it to Apogee support. I haven't heard back from them yet, I'll post here when I do.

Let me first state that Im not sure it works across the board, but it works perfect for me.
Lion is still considered unsupported by Apogee at this point, but I have a feeling it will be fixed before Lion is released. :)

Here's the rundown.

Problem:

I have an original Duet, and installed the latest Maestro/duet installer on a unibody MBP running DP4 of Lion. The Duet initially would show up as an available core audio device in both Logic and system sounds, but would not play back audio.

If it tried to playback audio or adjust the volume, the Duet would keep disappearing and reappearing as an available core audio device in Logic, me thing would happen if I tried to play from iTunes. System sounds would show the Duet appearing and reappearing as an available device, but still NO audio.
Tried rebooting, no dice. Permissions repair, reinstall Maestro, etc. and still the same issues.

I decided to try a different approach, and in doing so found what appears to be a reliable fix, at least for me.

**Possible solution**

Here is what worked for me, TWICE. Once for the original DP4, and again after the software update to DP4 initially reintroduced the problem a few days ago.
The software update a few days ago made the Duet behave exactly as it originally had with the first install of Developer preview 4, no audio, disappearing/reappearing act, all the same stuff. Did these same steps once again, and it fixed it again, works perfect after multiple reboots.

Try this, in THIS EXACT ORDER. Opening Maestro BEFORE trying to do anything with audio is crucial. This also assumes that you already have the latest Duet installer/Maestro software from Apogee's site installed on your computer.

1.) Reboot the computer.

2.) Do not touch the duet, or try to adjust volume yet. Seriously, don't do it yet. If you do, you will need to reboot.

3.) Open Maestro, click on the "identify unit" button. You will see the Duet's hardware meters go full into the red. Wait a second or so, then click the "identify unit" button again. The Duet's hardware meters should return to normal.

4.) If need be, in Maestro unmute the Duet's outputs.

5.) Try playing audio out of the Duet now. Try using it as normal in Logic, GarageBand, iTunes, whatever.

Please report back here if this works for you!

I hope this works for others, although I'm sure Apogee is already working hard to get it ready by Lion's release.

Not sure if it's related, but my Apogee GIO works perfect with Lion as well. :)

Anyone with a ONE or other Apogee unit care to try this and see if it works?

Does the volume knob function properly after taking these steps?

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Does the volume knob function properly after taking these steps?

Yes. The volume knob and everything works exactly as it should after doing these steps.

***This works on the GM build of Lion also. Same initial problem with the disappearing as a core audio device option, etc.

As long as you make sure that the very first thing you do is open Maestro and click the "identitfy unit" button before anything else.

Last edited:

destroyer01

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Apogee Duet

It worked a couple days ago then went back to the same reboot issue again. I hope they come up with a "fix" soon or i have tpo go back to snow leopard. I did notice that if u unplug everything then your back at point a. @#@##@@

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
It worked a couple days ago then went back to the same reboot issue again. I hope they come up with a "fix" soon or i have tpo go back to snow leopard. I did notice that if u unplug everything then your back at point a. @#@##@@

I bet I know why it's not working for you at the moment.
Try this:

Go into system preferences and make sure the duet is NOT chosen for input OR output of system sounds. Choose built in for both. Then reboot and do the process described above, open maestro before attempting anything else, and click "identify unit". I promise it will work. :)

destroyer01

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Duet issue with Lion 10.7 GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer01
Try this:

Go into system preferences and make sure the duet is NOT chosen for input OR output of system sounds. Choose built in for both. Then reboot and do the process described above, open maestro before attempting anything else, and click "identify unit". I promise it will work.

""I tried that and still it reboots back to where I can;t change the volume no nothing but thanks for your response""""

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer01
Try this:

Go into system preferences and make sure the duet is NOT chosen for input OR output of system sounds. Choose built in for both. Then reboot and do the process described above, open maestro before attempting anything else, and click "identify unit". I promise it will work.

""I tried that and still it reboots back to where I can;t change the volume no nothing but thanks for your response""""

Hmmm...strange. It works for me every time on the GM build of Lion.
What is your hardware configuration?

Anyone else who has tried this please post results for comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.