Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsxrpilot

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
I just took delivery of my black and red leather 13" sleeve from Joli Originals (http://shop.jolioriginals.com/).

Amazing quality of workmanship and materials. The leather is beautifully soft and smells amazing. The red felt is nice and smooth and does not shed any lint or fibres. The sleeve is slightly tight but as Joli's website states...it'll begin to loosen as time goes on. The sleeve is expensive but the quality that you get is justifies the cost. All in all, a lovely sleeve for the equally lovely MBA!

I couldn't agree more. I've got the brown leather with green felt. And Joli's service is quick. I ordered the sleeve on a Friday and it was delivered on Monday in Australia, with a handwritten note from Joli. Everytime I pull it out of the bag, I get comments asking where I got the leather sleeve.

Cheers,

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
I'm thinking of going for a SwitchEasy "Thins"

b.jpg

heydrew

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
The Internet
I would love to hear your thoughts on the Muzetto once you get it. I'm considering one myself, but am torn between the 13" and 15". I know they are pretty thin bags, so I'm worried the 13" might be tight with a 13" air, ipad, and some other small accessories. And the next size up is only $20 more.

After having the 13" Muzetto for over a week now I can say it's definitely fine for a 13" air. I pack my iPad, my Kindle, my 13" Air (in the SF Bags 13" sleeve), a moleskin, and a few other knick-knacks in the Muzetto.

I'm absolutely thrilled with my Muzetto. While expensive it has a "built for years" feel to it and it really looks great.

Now if anyone's interested in buying a barely used Tom Bihn Ristretto... :)

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
OK, no one has posted this one and I think I will be buying this so...

STM - revolution (small). Video with mac products. What's not shown is that the compartment for the lap top has a lip that goes over the laptop once you slide it in. The lip helps retain the laptop in the compartment should you open it...keeps it from sliding out. Search for another review to see the feature. Only negative is that the STM website says it weighs just over 3 lbs. Maybe that's shipping weight? Oh, and as you can see in the vid, it also includes a rain hood (rare feature) hidden in the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKFObCc4hKc

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
Cocones sleeves

I hope it is ok to tell you about my own product here. Together with my fiancée we have just created Cocones, a MacBook Air (also iPhone and iPad) sleeve brand. Our sleeves are handmade from thick 100% wool felt and leather.

IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

They are, so far, available on Etsy but we will be launching our own website shortly. Either way, it's http://www.cocones.com

I will appreciate all comments and feedback.

Again, I hope this is relevant to the subject and I am not breaking forum rules posting this.

Last edited:

aph3x

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Reno, NV
I just picked up the Thule 13" Molded EVA Sleeve for MacBook Air.

I couldn't be happier, the case is modern, feels great and is very protective. I personally love the way it looks.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I picked up the Acme Made Skinny Sleeve at the suggestion of a previous post in this thread. What a great sleeve! Offers solid protection because the inside is lined with microfiber cloth and what feels like 2 plastic plates on the inner walls (between the foamy outside and cloth on the inside) on each side to provide more durability.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjE5MjgxNzM&s=topSellers

I am considering dumping it for this though.

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/H6297ZM/A

lukemulder

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
Can anyone suggest a sleeve for a 13" air that opens at the top so I can slip it out of the sleeve while it's in my backpack and it has to share a spot with about two texts books and a few notebooks (so it will be put under a reasonable amount of compression).

vader_slri

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Can anyone suggest a sleeve for a 13" air that opens at the top so I can slip it out of the sleeve while it's in my backpack and it has to share a spot with about two texts books and a few notebooks (so it will be put under a reasonable amount of compression).

Waterfield Designs SleeveCase:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

There is a horizontal version designed specifically for the 13" MBA.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I hope it is ok to tell you about my own product here. Together with my fiancée we have just created Cocones, a MacBook Air (also iPhone and iPad) sleeve brand. Our sleeves are handmade from thick 100% wool felt and leather.

They look nice, love the belt strap... I love wool sleeves, but looking at the wool material, do they create scratches on the macbook air?

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm about to get the SF Bags sleeve. It looks really nice. Hate the $89 price tag though.

Fasm Trout

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Could you please share where you got that white iPhone back without all the text on it? I love that! Thanks.

Here's my crumpler sleeve for my 13", I'm a fan of their products especially their camera bags for my business...

20110915003.jpg

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
If you have gotten sleeves or cases, where do you put your charger? Most of them I've seen don't have a pocket for charger.

I carry my charger in case I run out of battery.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Could you please share where you got that white iPhone back without all the text on it? I love that! Thanks.

Looking at the picture, it looks like a sticker for the back. Maybe the Lucky Labs Teksure skin in white carbon fiber.

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
They look nice, love the belt strap... I love wool sleeves, but looking at the wool material, do they create scratches on the macbook air?

I am sorry, I did not get a notification about your post, only seeing it now.

Before launching the products we tested the sleeves on our own equipment. The felt had no negative impact on the exterior of my Air—this would defeat the purpose, it is supposed to protect it.

Basic caution applies, as with any sleeve out there—you don't want e.g. sand to get inside the sleeve.

Woolen felt has properties not a lot of people know about: it is water-repellent, anti-static and of course it offers thermal isolation, keeps heat away in summer and protects from cold in winter.

We use Merino wool "designer" felt, made in Germany. It is expensive but no other supplier offers this quality.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am sorry, I did not get a notification about your post, only seeing it now.

Before launching the products we tested the sleeves on our own equipment. The felt had no negative impact on the exterior of my Air—this would defeat the purpose, it is supposed to protect it.

Basic caution applies, as with any sleeve out there—you don't want e.g. sand to get inside the sleeve.

Woolen felt has properties not a lot of people know about: it is water-repellent, anti-static and of course it offers thermal isolation, keeps heat away in summer and protects from cold in winter.

We use Merino wool "designer" felt, made in Germany. It is expensive but no other supplier offers this quality.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer that. I just found this thread, and liked the design of your sleeve, but I had the same question. I had seen buffing wheels made out of wool felt, and wondered about how abrasive your material was. I am a big fan of merino wool base layers and know how well they work in both hot and cold weather, regulating temperatures and absorbing moisture from the air. I would also think that it could be beneficial in helping to reduce the possibility of condensation. Thanks!

Edit: I went ahead and ordered one. I will provide updated feedback once it is received. :)

Last edited:

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
I appreciate you taking the time to answer that. I just found this thread, and liked the design of your sleeve, but I had the same question. I had seen buffing wheels made out of wool felt, and wondered about how abrasive your material was. I am a big fan of merino wool base layers and know how well they work in both hot and cold weather, regulating temperatures and absorbing moisture from the air. I would also think that it could be beneficial in helping to reduce the possibility of condensation. Thanks!

Edit: I went ahead and ordered one. I will provide updated feedback once it is received. :)

Felt has been used for sleeves for portables for years now, I never heard any horror stories. I can't see any signs of buffing/polishing on any of our devices we have been using for a few months now with prototype sleeves either.

I am sure we use the best felt available. Even Australian companies import it from this factory in Germany and one would think Australians know their wool :)

Thank you for the order, your sleeve has been shipped already. I sure will appreciate your feedback! :)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Felt has been used for sleeves for portables for years now, I never heard any horror stories. I can't see any signs of buffing/polishing on any of our devices we have been using for a few months now with prototype sleeves either.

I am sure we use the best felt available. Even Australian companies import it from this factory in Germany and one would think Australians know their wool :)

Thank you for the order, your sleeve has been shipped already. I sure will appreciate your feedback! :)

I know, I am wasn't thinking about it at first. I have a friend who has a tool shop where he uses felt buffing wheels like these. I am sure they are quite a bit different than the soft merino wool felt used for portable devices and the like. I am looking forward to receiving it. I will do a mini-review once it arrives :)

PathVu

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
WaterField Smart Case

I Use This Sleeve...

Attachments

• macbookair-smartcase-front-lg.jpg
    macbookair-smartcase-front-lg.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,756

PathVu

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
WaterField Mezutto

I also Use this black leather messenger bag for my MacBook Air

Attachments

• muzetto_black_10_color_pine_lg.jpg
    muzetto_black_10_color_pine_lg.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 287
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.