Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I purchased the SFBags Waterfield Smart Case. It's really nice and has a strong feel to it. Its a little pricey at $90 for the 13in but I thought it was well worth it for the protection and use. I got the copper one by the way.

brown.eyed.girl

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Can someone help me out? I saw a girl with an 11" MBA and she had a really cool leather (or leather-like) case on it. It had a buckle so that when it was closed, it looked like a portfolio. Black, pebbled leather. Also, suede wristguards on it. It's not at the Apple store here (nor online) and I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions for something that is similar to this style of bag...the very thin style messenger that doesn't have a whole lot of extra bulk. I love this bag http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/H6297ZM/A but it doesn't really provide room for the Air's charger. I'd love that bag if it had an extra space for a charger. Any suggestions, I've checked out the popular Incase Nylon bag but I'd much rather have something more to the style of the Hex bag.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Can someone help me out? I saw a girl with an 11" MBA and she had a really cool leather (or leather-like) case on it. It had a buckle so that when it was closed, it looked like a portfolio. Black, pebbled leather. Also, suede wristguards on it. It's not at the Apple store here (nor online) and I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

That sounds a little bit like the Tuff-Luv slimline case, but not quite. I am not sure what that would be.

----------

I apologize in advance if this one has already been posted, but I didn't click every external link on every page to check.

This Copper River bag has kind of caught my eye.

ecaf619d.jpg

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I bought this one, it's the cheapest bag in this whole thread + the best looking one! and it's also well-cushioned! 6,61$ FTW!

ViewImage.aspx

ViewImage.aspx

eyekyu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
just bought myself an 11" air and now looking for a case

kind of looking for something that opens on one side (like the STM neoprene sleeves), but which has a bit more protection ala the hard candy or booq viper

i usually carry around a 15" MBP for work and since my backpack only has one real laptop section the MBA will be sitting in another section of the bag, not sure if the STM neoprene sleeve will provide enough protection

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I've just picked up an 11" Air, and have ordered a Sleeve from Nedrelow. However, I still need something for out and about, preferably with room to fit an iPad, too. I was thinking of the AO Ally Capellino 11"; has anyone any experience of one?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone use either the STM scout extra small laptop bag or the STM alley small laptop shoulder bag for an 11" MacBook Air?

I know that the scout extra small would be a better fit for the 11" MBA, but I really like the look of the alley small. Is anyone using one for an 11"? If so, do you notice that the MBA is able to shift around too much?

I've read about a couple of potential issues that I'm concerned about:
  • The front flap of the scout tends to curl outwards on either side of the clip.....does anyone here have this issue?
  • On the alley, there is a little bit of an open space on both sides of the velcro flap that seals the laptop compartment, and people stated that if it were raining, water could potentially get in. Is this a real issue? I'm not overly concerned about that living in LA, but I wouldn't want there to be too big of a gap, just in case.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
STM Scout - Air is well protected but I wasnt happy with it. Once it's loaded up the flap doesn't close right, material is a hair / lint magnet ...

STM Alley - I liked it fairly good. There a little gap where you mentioned but not too bad. Holds everything well, once it's loaded with your gear the pockets are hard to get in to. It's a vertical bag because of that it feels heavier that it is, kind of bounces off the hip when you walk unless you shorten up on the strap a lot.

I always end up going back to a backpack. Problem there is its hard to find a smaller, well designed, functional backpack for small notebooks.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^^^Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the Alley a little bit, and now I'm leaning towards it a little more. It seems like the cons of the Scout are worse for me than the cons of the Alley. I don't really plan on packing too much into it, so I don't think I'll have any issues getting into the pockets.

If I could go with a backpack I would, but I'm getting this for work, and it wouldn't look quite right if I walk in wearing a backpack.

The other issue is that my choices are limited to the products that the online Apple Store carries, as I have a "spend over $300 and get $100 off" coupon that I'm trying to take advantage of before it expires on 12/31.

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.......

broboore

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
After much deliberation (thank you to my wife for indulging me on this), I decided on the the Pack & Smooch felted sleeve.

http://www.pack-smooch.com/

and the SFBags Muzetto

http://sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

I didn't need a bag that carried every piece of kit that I own. Just something for the laptop and iPad and/or ereader.

It doesn't hurt that the craftsmanship is phenomenal. Do I wish it had been a little cheaper? Sure. But I'm happy with my choices.

Over time the Muzetto is going start to look even better.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 238

///M5

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
After much deliberation (thank you to my wife for indulging me on this), I decided on the the Pack & Smooch felted sleeve.

http://www.pack-smooch.com/

and the SFBags Muzetto

http://sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

I didn't need a bag that carried every piece of kit that I own. Just something for the laptop and iPad and/or ereader.

It doesn't hurt that the craftsmanship is phenomenal. Do I wish it had been a little cheaper? Sure. But I'm happy with my choices.

Over time the Muzetto is going start to look even better.

Nice! Is that the 11" muzetto? I have a black "13 one and find it too big.

Would the 13" MBA fit in the 11" muzetto? Or even the iPad muzetto?

broboore

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Nice! Is that the 11" muzetto? I have a black "13 one and find it too big.

Would the 13" MBA fit in the 11" muzetto? Or even the iPad muzetto?

It is actually the 13" one as I own the 13" Air. I have also had a 13" Pro in it. I want to say (but don't take my word as gold), that I've seen reviews that you say you can in fact fit the 13" in the 11", it just sticks out of the top of the bag higher, causing the flap to not fold all the way down. Showing more of whatever color you chose to show when you carry the bag.

cgallant725

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I use the Brenthaven Prostyle case. Works great, love the hand strap and the pocket .... Magic Mouse fits perfectly in there

natekettles

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
South Africa
So before I got a MacBook Air I had a MacBook Pro, using an Incase neoprene sleeve. I was happy with it for the most part.

However, when I got the Air I did some research. I was mostly looking for a leather case - as I just prefer the feel of it and they also don't get dusty like fabric sleeves do.

Eventually, I settled on the Knomo MacBook Air sleeve.

mba_3_1.jpg

I must say, it's perfect. It provides excellent robust protection, but it's got a very thin profile.
The leather is of an excellent quality.
There are no sleeves for a mouse or power supply, but I just put those in my carrying bag.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this case. And then when mobile you just throw it into your bag and you good to go.

gerbil

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
My head said Thule EVA sleeve,

_6631658.jpg

my heart said Knomo leather sleeve just like the above post, but then I found a Nixon neoprene case for $20 and my thin wallet won :)

C1629-000-view1-hero.jpg

Has an exterior zip pocket and security handle, provides cushioning, soft faux fur interior and padded zip.

bbhegedus

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Just picked up this Timbuk2 bag. I've always been a fan of their stuff.

This bag is called the Quickie Netbook Case and got it from Best Buy for $50. It fits the 13" Air pretty well and has pockets in the front that will even fit the power brick. The inside has interesting "bubbles" that are soft (filled with air or maybe really soft foam). It's also got handles, which are tucked away in the pics, and a removable shoulder strap.

IMG_20110915_214033.jpg

IMG_20110915_213951.jpg

IMG_20110915_214119.jpg

I second this. I also bought this from Best Buy when I first got my 2011 Macbook Air in August. It's a great case with enough room for storage to make me happy. I've also ordered the BookBook case and am looking forward to being able to use it. I'd recommend this case to anyone though. Perfect for everyday use.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
^^^^^^Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the Alley a little bit, and now I'm leaning towards it a little more. It seems like the cons of the Scout are worse for me than the cons of the Alley. I don't really plan on packing too much into it, so I don't think I'll have any issues getting into the pockets.

If I could go with a backpack I would, but I'm getting this for work, and it wouldn't look quite right if I walk in wearing a backpack.

The other issue is that my choices are limited to the products that the online Apple Store carries, as I have a "spend over $300 and get $100 off" coupon that I'm trying to take advantage of before it expires on 12/31.

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.......

Did you order a new bag yet? Curious to know which one and how you like it?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I have the STM Jacket for both of my Airs. They fit the power adapter, USB Ethernet adapter, some USB sticks, a small book...

They have enough protection so I'm not worried about it, but it makes my 13" Air feel about the same size as my 13" Pro did.

I like the look of the bags with buttons and buckles but I don't want those as pressure points and denting my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.