Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
After seeing the battery life I'm getting with my new SGS5 (almost 6 hours of on screen time) I'm happy I decided to go with this one instead of the new X.

I waited months for it only to be disappointed with the battery. No way it can even get close to the SGS5 (or any other flagship for that matter).

I'm sorry that you need to have your screen on for 6 hours of your day.

Whether it's for work or just your gadget addiction, you really should try seeing the real world. It's not as bad as it seems...

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Keep in mind Motorola may be banking on Android L and project Volta. It will get L much much faster. It's as close to a Nexus device without being a Nexus device.

"How big the battery life improvements will be? For example, a Nexus 5 running Android L Developer Preview can get 30 – 40% more battery life which is an insanely huge improvement. How is this even possible? Well the new job scheduler API is one of the factors. It instructs apps to do more of their unimportant tasks while your phone is charging instead of while running on battery."

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Keep in mind Motorola may be banking on Android L and project Volta. It will get L much much faster. It's as close to a Nexus device without being a Nexus device.

Android L is not going to magically give old phones 50% better battery life, NO. AT best expect 15% better battery life in the real world. So if the new Moto X sucks on battery life today, it will still blow come Android L ;( Motorola really dropped the ball big time here, the makers of the MAXX battery tech, and cramming in huge 3,500mAh batteries in thin phones, but for some reason didn't use the MAXX on the Moto X series, WTF ?

http://anandtech.com/show/8523/the-new-motorola-moto-x-2014-review/4

I just wanted to note that Android L alone won’t improve battery life on these tests. Android RunTime (ART) won’t help with battery life as these applications are native code. Job Scheduler is also irrelevant to our tests, as it will only improve battery life in situations where multiple applications are running in the background. We make every effort to ensure that no background tasks occur during these battery life tests and auto-sync is disabled as well in order to make sure that the only task running is the one under test. We have already run the data early in the summer on the Nexus 5 with Android L developer preview and our data does not show any significant difference in battery life. However, in real world usage where background applications and data syncing are active, one can expect greater battery life with Android L but only in the range of 10-15%.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Android L is not going to magically give old phones 50% better battery life, NO. AT best expect 15% better battery life in the real world. So if the new Moto X sucks on battery life today, it will still blow come Android L ;( Motorola really dropped the ball big time here, the makers of the MAXX battery tech, and cramming in huge 3,500mAh batteries in thin phones, but for some reason didn't use the MAXX on the Moto X series, WTF ?

http://anandtech.com/show/8523/the-new-motorola-moto-x-2014-review/4

I just wanted to note that Android L alone won’t improve battery life on these tests. Android RunTime (ART) won’t help with battery life as these applications are native code. Job Scheduler is also irrelevant to our tests, as it will only improve battery life in situations where multiple applications are running in the background. We make every effort to ensure that no background tasks occur during these battery life tests and auto-sync is disabled as well in order to make sure that the only task running is the one under test. We have already run the data early in the summer on the Nexus 5 with Android L developer preview and our data does not show any significant difference in battery life. However, in real world usage where background applications and data syncing are active, one can expect greater battery life with Android L but only in the range of 10-15%.

Even the 10-15% conservative estimate would be a bonus.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm sorry that you need to have your screen on for 6 hours of your day.

Whether it's for work or just your gadget addiction, you really should try seeing the real world. It's not as bad as it seems...

Wow...you actually took the time to write that......nice......your a peach!

ItHurtsWhenIP......needs a shot of penicillin......

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
15% battery improvement, is barely noticeable day to day.

It's not gonna make a phone that is poor on battery life, much better.

And obviously another couple hundred mAH wouldn't satisfy you or other gadget nerds who, for reasons beyond my comprehension, need to have the screen of their phone on for 7 HOURS out of a day. Not just checking things here and there over the course of 7 hours, but 7 continuous hours of the screen on with them looking at it.

For god's sake..7 hours is a non-stop flight from New York to London. Stop staring at a phone screen for the equivalent of an entire work day and maybe you wouldn't care so much about the battery.

Bottom line - you aren't a normal use case nor do you (or other battery-obsessed geeks) speak for people who use their phones with a bit of self control or have tablets/computers to use once they are home (or even out).

Don't like that you can't control your screen fixation? Great. Go buy an old Razr Maxx and look at it until you go blind...or, you know, buy a better TV..;)

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
And obviously another couple hundred mAH wouldn't satisfy you or other gadget nerds who, for reasons beyond my comprehension, need to have the screen of their phone on for 7 HOURS out of a day. Not just checking things here and there over the course of 7 hours, but 7 continuous hours of the screen on with them looking at it.

For god's sake..7 hours is a non-stop flight from New York to London. Stop staring at a phone screen for the equivalent of an entire work day and maybe you wouldn't care so much about the battery.

Bottom line - you aren't a normal use case nor do you (or other battery-obsessed geeks) speak for people who use their phones with a bit of self control or have tablets/computers to use once they are home (or even out).

Don't like that you can't control your screen fixation? Great. Go buy an old Razr Maxx and look at it until you go blind...or, you know, buy a better TV..;)

For me I need a phone that gives me 6h On Screen time MINIMUM, any less and it's just a childs toy, not useful then.

My HTC One M8 is rooted, and does get me that 6H On Screen time daily, but by dinner time the battery is already at 20%.

I use my phone during the workday to help run my business, and I am on it half the day; texting my delivery drivers or warehouse employees, e-mailing and texting clients, surfing the web on vendor websites for products, using GPS Navigation, and also making many phone calls throughout the day. So yeah 6hours on the phone during a 12 hour work day, is easy to use.

A crappy phone like the iPhone 5S would never survive my day. And this Moto X wouldn't cut it either.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Hey genius... hasn't it occurred to you that it may be 6 hours of on screen time with a total of 2 days uptime?

That would make 3 hours per day and only have to charge the phone once every 2 days.

Now you get it?

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Hey genius... hasn't it occurred to you that it may be 6 hours of on screen time with a total of 2 days uptime?

That would make 3 hours per day and only have to charge the phone once every 2 days.

Now you get it?

Save yourself Sensamic. Us 'gadget nerds' are clearly not falling in line with how Mr Uppetty wants the world to use a phone.

A bit like how Motorola isn't falling in line with the majority of the competition. Why did they spec-up most other areas but ignored power?

Still, the ultra-defensive stance made me chuckle. I'm curious if said person's employer begins with the letter 'M'.

But let's not digress. Nice phone with a fairly obvious shortfall, as noted in several reviews.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Between price, battery, camera and release I've completely forgotten about this phone. Just one more month and the new Nexus will be out.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Between price, battery, camera and release I've completely forgotten about this phone. Just one more month and the new Nexus will be out.

It's a reason why I bumped it. Probably many have forgotten or perhaps some have dismissed it. Taking a peek at everything I can is fun.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I looked at the new Moto X today. The build quality is great. I liked the feel of the metal on the side, and the back feels great too.

The screen didn't look good to me, though. It looked like a 720p screen that was stretched to 1080p. What I mean is that you don't get extra real estate on the screen compared to the old Moto X. I didn't have them side by side to compare, but it seemed to me that everything on the screen was huge compared to other phones with 1080p displays. Also, the screen sharpness was soft and not as sharp as other 1080p phones, which is strange. Also, the screen brightness looked dimmer than the previous Moto X. I see that AnandTech found that to be the case as well.

What I want is a phone the same size as the last Moto X with the new build quality and a 1080p LCD. The 4.7-inch was just fine. I also looked at the new Galaxy Alpha today and thought it was the absolute perfect size for a phone. 4.7-inch screen and very small bezels. I hope the industry begins trending backwards in size soon. We need some quality 4.7-inch devices.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I looked at the new Moto X today. The build quality is great. I liked the feel of the metal on the side, and the back feels great too.

The screen didn't look good to me, though. It looked like a 720p screen that was stretched to 1080p. What I mean is that you don't get extra real estate on the screen compared to the old Moto X. I didn't have them side by side to compare, but it seemed to me that everything on the screen was huge compared to other phones with 1080p displays. Also, the screen sharpness was soft and not as sharp as other 1080p phones, which is strange. Also, the screen brightness looked dimmer than the previous Moto X. I see that AnandTech found that to be the case as well.

What I want is a phone the same size as the last Moto X with the new build quality and a 1080p LCD. The 4.7-inch was just fine. I also looked at the new Galaxy Alpha today and thought it was the absolute perfect size for a phone. 4.7-inch screen and very small bezels. I hope the industry begins trending backwards in size soon. We need some quality 4.7-inch devices.

I think I read somewhere that said it was using the Google Now Launcher. Could that be why everything looks big. I know several Moto X owners who didn't like that launcher because of that.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Sadly battery life was the only thing holding me back. It's the fastest Android device I've used, the build quality is excellent, stock Android is better than many of these skin jobs and I wanted to use onscreen buttons again (current Note owner). But after struggling with the iPhone 6 (returned today) I was crapping bricks with that phones battery life.
This is minor but I got to say it. Why leave out the 32GB option from the brick and mortar Verizon stores? After returning a 128GB iPhone there is no way I'm going back down to 16GB.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Quick look see today at Verizon. I liked it enough to look for reviews and check what folks are saying on XDA.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-2014,Motorola-Moto-X/phones/8897,7885

I think it enough of an upgrade to me personally to be interested in so far as putting it on my watch list.

It seemed snappy enough and and looked to manage memory well. The screen was pretty good but I could not get a feel for the speakers, the store was too noisy.

I can make do with battery life. It has to push more than the original X so I am also surprised it was not stocked with a larger one.

I would go with the black. I did not like the wood finish at all. For a 5.2" screen its size was not unweilding to handle.

It was in demo mode so you now how in store trial works.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
After messing around for two weeks with each of the new iPhones, I pass.

Next up is this one. It'll certainly save me some bucks over each of the iPhones. I should have it by the end of the day and if I like it enough, I'll sell my first gen. If not, I'll return it and just keep the first.

Somebody please tell me how to stop with all this smartphone madness. I may as well be Linda Blair in the Exorcist with my head spinning. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
After messing around for two weeks with each of the new iPhones, I pass.

Next up is this one. It'll certainly save me some bucks over each of the iPhones. I should have it by the end of the day and if I like it enough, I'll sell my first gen. If not, I'll return it and just keep the first.

Somebody please tell me how to stop with all this smartphone madness. I may as well be Linda Blair in the Exorcist with my head spinning. :)

once you start, you cannot stop!

To those discussing battery life and Android L: I cannot remember where I read the article (I read a ton daily) it stated that android L on a nexus 5 could actually increase battery life by 30%. That would be a huge deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.